Author Topic: Leaders of Men - Aura Classes  (Read 40482 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Leaders of Men - Aura Classes
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure.  Both versions feel a little too book-keepy for me.

I agree with Nan on that one. They also have the downside of potentially killing anyone who forgets and wanders out of the radius, especially at low levels.

Is the book-keeping meaningfully different from the current version of Motivate Endurance? I was under the impression that was within acceptable levels.

The issue of dying when you leave the aura is kind of the point, similar to barbarian rage hp increases. You're not going to die unless you'd already be dead without having the aura in the first place. All of the aura's effects in those two versions only occur if you would otherwise be at 0 or lower without the bonus hp.

I think I need to step back and away from the whole "buff hp, bonuses when you'd otherwise be at 0" mechanic. Maybe something like a reverse of the dragon shaman's Fury aura instead? Something like "Allies gain a bonus to AC and saves. This only applies for allies at <= 50% max hp or who have one of the following conditions: daze, stun, paralyze, nauseated, frightened, panicked, ...".

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
That sounds like much less of a nuisance, and has the upside of being a foil to the healing aura.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2017, 12:33:54 AM »
Motivate Endurance: Allies gain a bonus to Armor Class and on all saving throws. These bonuses only apply while the ally has half of its maximum hit points or less, or while the ally is dazed, disabled, dying, frightened, nauseated, panicked, paralyzed, stable, stunned, or unconscious. Allies also gain a bonus to checks and rolls modified by the Endurance feat at all times.

How's that look?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
I don't see any issues with it.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:09 PM »
Updates have been made. I also changed some of the similar auras in the other classes.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2022, 01:05:10 AM »
Popping back to this for a bit because I had some ideas.

Dragon Shaman
(click to show/hide)

Epic Level Characters
(click to show/hide)

Epic Feats
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 12:47:49 AM by Garryl »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2022, 01:52:28 AM »
Dragon Shaman has been updated with a small buff to the mercury totem dragon, 3 new totem dragons (shadow, sand, ethereal), and a new ACF (Vampiric Dragon Shaman).

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2022, 06:38:57 PM »
I may have gone overboard with the Dragon Shaman. I added so many dragon totems that the ACFs didn't fit in the main post any more, then I added another slew of ACFs to boot!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2022, 09:13:50 PM »
Some item ideas:
Commander's Horn: Doubles the range of your auras, but they are projected in a cone instead of a sphere.
Commander's Battle Standard: The object projects your auras for you, causing them to originate from the item instead of from you as long as you remain within the aura's area.
War Leader's Greaves: Whenever you charge, gain a +1 morale bonus to your aura bonus for 1 round with respect to any creature within 10 feet of you at any point during your charge.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2022, 09:53:02 PM »
I don't know what all the new stuff is to look over it, what should I look at?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2022, 10:06:25 PM »
Nothing major. I added several dragon totems and the Draconic Archetype and Vampiric Dragon Shaman ACFs for the Dragon Shaman. The rest of the changes were mostly typos and wording adjustments. I think I changed one feat in any mechanical way. There's a change log at the bottom of each post which lists everything meaningful.

Aside from that, my recent posts in this thread have been to jot down some notes about some new idea, primarily how the classes would work at epic levels.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
I'm considering tweaking how the Marshal's presence mechanic works with external sources of presence, capping its effective value at your Marshal level. Extra presence would thus offset presence spent on commands (as intended), but not increase the power of your commands to higher than normal for your level (which I hadn't considered when writing the relevant presence-boosting feats).

Edit: Also, a few ACF ideas for the Marshal.

Marshal Alternative Class Features (WIP)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 10:55:58 PM by Garryl »