Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236797 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are amazing, I love them (hopefully you will too).  I've wanted to play the online one but what you're describing is what I was afraid of so never bought it.

Warmachine Tactics (the mech game) looks like it could end up being great but it's been Early Access for awhile.  Development hasn't stalled, but it's a tabletop miniatures army building game as a video game so there's probably a big learning curve.  I kickstarted it but it dropped off my radar awhile ago... (Original estimated release date was a year and a half ago.)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2016, 07:21:21 PM »
so a friend of mine got me RE4 Ultimate HD edition on steam, but for some god forsaken reason it runs in slow motion almost to the point of being unplayable,this is on a computer that can run skyrim on high  :???

so after a few days of dealing with it, I found a workaround the required me to edit the variable frame rate from 30 to 20 and it runs like it should.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
Shadowrun Returns is a good game, though you can tell it's the first one because it's a bit rough around the edges.  And it doesn't convey the tactics you need to use in the final battle well.  SR Dragonfall has a vastly better story and great allies, each with their own interesting backstories.  And then there's SR Hong Kong, which the dev took notes on what worked and what didn't in Returns and Dragonfall when he made Hong Kong.  I highly recommend all three, though you should definitely play them in order of release.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2016, 02:37:01 AM »
The "mech game" is still early access so take that under consideration. 

Are you sure?  The Steam store page doesn't mention anything about Early Access. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »
The "mech game" is still early access so take that under consideration. 

Are you sure?  The Steam store page doesn't mention anything about Early Access.

Huh, you're right.  Okay, I see what's going on here. The full campaign was released November 19, 2014 which means by (I guess) it isn't early access anymore.  However, they're still releasing major patches like it's early access with major overhauls and game additions.  SO I don't really know what to categorize that as.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Out of all the things in DSII that made no sense, why do so many bosses and phantoms have ludicrously inflated HP pools? The Ancient Dragon has nearly 20,000, Vendrick has over 10,000, Sinh in CotSK has over 10,000 (and is resistant to lightning despite being a dragon)...

It's not like damage rocketed between games, but apparently some bosses had to be repetitive marathons (on top of all the 'let's have multiple enemy' bosses all over the place)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
One the most common complaints about DSII is about how it abused artificial difficulty in a way its predecessor managed to mostly avoid altogether.

Ancient Dragon, for instance, is basically a one hit kill with the overhead flame strike unless you have exceedingly high vitality and/or have very specific gear equipped. That, on top of the 20k HP is very, very frustrating. I took turns with my father trying to beat Ancient Dragon and he almost ragequitted the game right then and there, even while getting summons to help with the fight.

In the end, i managed to beat him by backtracking, farming souls to bump up a Dragon's Tooth to +14 and respeccing to a pure STR build, and going naked with Red Tearstone Ring and HP on the red to have damage high enough so that i could beat him in a manageable length of time.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Really, though, what the hell is with Sinh's Lightning defence? It's plain wrong.

On top of inexplicably causing Toxic. Flying, defence buffed toxic Kalameet with double HP. Non-optional (aside from the DLC part). Why.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
sounds like it's time for a DS thread of it's own

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »

Given how close DSIII's worldwide release is...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
Because creating a boss that's hard because numbers is easier than creating a boss that's hard because it actually challenges you, as a player, to use your skills creatively in order to beat it.

DS2 is pretty hit or miss in that regard.

For instance, the Mirror Knight fight is a beautiful and amazing affair, it challenges you in all the right ways, and the fact that, if you are online, one of the mirror shadows can be another player just ADDS to the experience. It's not really unfair (unless you get a hacker), and it integrates PvE and PvP in a very organic way. Very cool, awesome experience.

The Flexile Sentry fight, too, absolutely incredible. It's not gimmicky and doesn't has a lot of artificial difficulty, and there's a subtle time pressure on you to finish the fight relatively quickly, because the water level is rising throughout the fight. If you wait around for too long, soon you'll find yourself unable to roll because of the water's depth, and then unable to run, and the fight gets progressively harder, as the environment is detrimental to you, but not to the boss.

But, then again, there are other bosses that are just... Well, they're boring. Giant Lord, i don't know if it's because i killed him over 9000 times to farm souls, but this fight is seriously, seriously boring. And then there are the fights that are just unfair. Deck's stacked against you and there's little you can do but to push through, grit your teeth and stare at the "YOU DIED" screen over and over and over and over again until you finally get through and move along with the rest of the game.

I think the first Dark Souls, overall, had a better balance in terms of artificial difficulty, boring fights and truly uphill battles. The single worst offender in terms of artificial difficulty, in my opinion, was Capra Demon, because of the two dogs and small space in which you fight him. Stray Demon is also a bit too powerful for when you first get access to him, but as he's completely optional, and after you die to him the first time you can completely avoid him if you so choose, i don't feel it's too unfair, plus, you eventually need to fight Demon Firesage which is even tougher, so, by the time you're strong/good enough for that, you can go back and deal with it.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2016, 02:05:35 PM »

Given how close DSIII's worldwide release is...

hush you  :P..now go make a DS thread

EDIT: in other news..

EA play had a leak  http://www.idigitaltimes.com/battlefield-5-and-mercenaries-3-revealed-ea-play-leak-mass-effect-andromeda-will-have-522616

Rumor says that the two most popular Call of Duty games maybe bc with xbox one http://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-2-xbox-one/

and speaking of call of duty it may be going to space and the far future http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/call-of-duty-next-2016-new-space-future-rumour-a6958086.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:08:23 PM by trappedslider »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
The mod I made for Factorio is being incorporated into the base game!  Happy Jack is happy.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »
The mod I made for Factorio is being incorporated into the base game!  Happy Jack is happy.
Nice :thumb

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »

Wow! That's high praise! Congratz man!

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
Just realized that Total War:Warhammer is gonna be releaxed in less than 1 month!

And even if they screw up the AI again, this time it will be fluff friendly!

Wondering if they're gonna handle diplomacy. Surely there can't be orc/chaos princesses and merchants walking around... Or can they? :plotting

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »
If I wasn't on an RPG kick at the moment, I'd actually buy it.

And if GW hadn't decided to be fucking idiots after getting that made, which could have increased interest in Warhammer and even the more obscure armies... in favour of killing the entire setting off, rebooting it with knockoff Space Marines, randomly including Slaanesh...

Oh, and they removed all normal humans, including one of the game's oldest characters, in the last week. The rules are now all non-humans.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »
Actually, rumor is that Age of Sigmar Suck being in development at that time was the main reason why GW sold the rights to make a Total War game.

GW's logic being that allowing such a game before would've reduced their model sales. But the moment GW decided they would stop making said models in order to reboot the whole thing, they basically went "Fuck it, anyone wanna buy the rights to make a video game out of this setting we're abandoning and don't care about anymore?"

Thus, without Age of Sigmar Suck, we wouldn't have Total War: Warhammer. I'm fine with this trade.

And as a bonus, the Total War developers confirmed that they have negative interest in a puny skirmish game like Age of Sigmar Suck, and will be drawing inspiration from classic Warhammer Fantasy with its huge battles and whatnot.