Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236766 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
Just finished Legacy of the Void. I figured I'd give the story mode a shot. The last two were decent, although everyone knows the real sc2 multiplayer game is a flop. After watching the loading screen for the 7th time I just shrugged and played through on hard rather than brutal. Why should I reload 50 times a level (verrrrrrrrry slooooooooowly) just because I don't know yet which random area the enemies will attack.

Wings of Liberty was great, until Kerrigan started trying to kill your marines herself and taunting them with infestation being worse than death. So, she does want to kill Raynor? Also the bug parasitism from sc1 lore was gone, but the gross xel-naga conquering was still there (this is the only error the sc1 lore had).

Heart of the Swarm was fine except said annoying general saying that Kerrigan "wasn't even human anymore" but for me she was. I waited to become primal zerg. Then the ending where she could fly on her skeletal wings was WTFBBQ?? (why not just fly into Mengsk's palace like the eagles in the LotR)

The Khala thing was cool, but they never even notice Amon just appear and own everyone. Really? Whatever now its time to finally fucking talk to the taldar'ime for more awful humanalien religion. So you don't help kerrigan rebuild her swarm, nor apologize to the dominion while the humans get boned? Fine.

And theirs more. The BBEG ripped off zeromus something fierce, but the epilogue was just awful. So the chulthuxel-naga are what, born from hyperspace? They like to perpetuate their lifecycle, or just gizz on planets? Did they make the Terrans? Whatever, you let Kerrigan go supersayain ripoff angel form and then ... what go gizz on the other planets in a galaxy already with life? Did she kill Raynor or just give up with being a ... whatever thing?

She just left the swarm run by a bloodthirsty giant monster and aldaris is busy being all melting pot anthropologists' nightmare. His perfuse (practiced?) apologies over the past seemed "plugged in" from our culture (cough cough). The only one's who end up mildly not totally messed up are the humans who are neighbors with the zerg (yeah, that'll stay safe) after having planets glassed. They are still ruled by a hereditary empire ... because those always go well.

The only cool thing about the whole 3rd campaign was the very intro movie, which the rest of the campaign shit on the whole time. Just say "Abandon your culture" and "to hell with your old society" for those teenagers growing up on this stuff and get it over with. Yuck.

SC2 was more failed than I thought. I'm going to go play some SC1 now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
Did they manage to improve the MP at least? I heard they finally got rid of the macro "every 25 seconds you gotta return your base to manually activate some building abilities besides regular production/research". Aka MULEs, chronoboost, and non-autocast inject larvas.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
PS2 emulation is confirmed for the PS4.

Oh look, Sony is going to sell us PS2 games all over again...

Meanwhile, no backwards compatibility for the PS3.  :p

The earlier PS3 models had it, I had one. Problem is, they had faulty solder joints and die...

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 12:31:35 PM »
Oh no, I meant that PS4s won't be made backwards-compatible.

Bad bit of business, that... and we all know that there's probably a PS3 emulator hidden in their code somewhere.

There were, after all, both a PS2 AND a PSP emulator hidden in the PS3's programming that hackers later discovered.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 03:34:45 PM »
Did they manage to improve the MP at least? I heard they finally got rid of the macro "every 25 seconds you gotta return your base to manually activate some building abilities besides regular production/research". Aka MULEs, chronoboost, and non-autocast inject larvas.
Chronoboost is (in campaign, I don't competitive) passive and applies to one building per nexus with a 5s change-target CD.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
I couldn't see the nuke event on my PS4.  :-\

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
Demon's Souls remake would be in a weird spot, given it was published by different companies in each region. I could see it end up being polished up by From's second team, and published as a digital download only for PS4. That said, it needs to be a proper remake with the modern souls engine updates, because the bugs and netcode are fucking atrocious by comparison.

I can definitely see DSIII being the last of the Dark series. I'm sure Miyazaki wants to move on to new IP, but I'm sure it would still be Souls-like as with Bloodborne. I'm just hoping they continue to publish for PC, instead of Sony exclusives. They could do something entirely new, or possibly work within existing IP that their new Kadokawa overlords can bestow.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
My new Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury mouse just arrived, and holy shit, it's PERFECT for my grip. I'm in love.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:39 PM »
Triforce Warriors
(click to show/hide)

In other news, Hyrule Warriors Legends was announced some time ago for the 3DS. It includes two new exclusive characters including Linkle as a special reward for those of us who didn't buy the terrible hardware (aka the Wii U) to play the original. And if you did, you can port over all your character data and unlocks to Legends as an apology. The game cut out the Challenge Mode but added several new characters.

And the videos of Linkle are pretty cool too, they give the genderbent Link a unique double crossbow style and she shows less skin than Young Link thanks to her high top boots. Through they had to go for the whole female kicks people route, aren't we over the 1920s sexalization of legs yet? Anyway, they also added Tera (WW), the Hyrule King (also WW), Toon Link (WW again), and the Skull Kid (MM). A golden Ocarina for teleporting around the maps and they have also added the Magic Hammer as a new heavy weapon (not 100% sure what that means). And I've gotta admit, I'm hoping the Hyrule King is useful so I can run around kicking evil's ass as the one true ruler of Hyrule. Winter is coming and there's a newly crowned king that needs to hold a wedding and all of that trash talk.

But seriously, don't buy Triforce Heroes. Rent or burrow it for a few hours instead.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
Triforce Warriors
(click to show/hide)

In other news, Hyrule Warriors Legends was announced some time ago for the 3DS. It includes two new exclusive characters including Linkle as a special reward for those of us who didn't buy the terrible hardware (aka the Wii U) to play the original. And if you did, you can port over all your character data and unlocks to Legends as an apology. The game cut out the Challenge Mode but added several new characters.

And the videos of Linkle are pretty cool too, they give the genderbent Link a unique double crossbow style and she shows less skin than Young Link thanks to her high top boots. Through they had to go for the whole female kicks people route, aren't we over the 1920s sexalization of legs yet? Anyway, they also added Tera (WW), the Hyrule King (also WW), Toon Link (WW again), and the Skull Kid (MM). A golden Ocarina for teleporting around the maps and they have also added the Magic Hammer as a new heavy weapon (not 100% sure what that means). And I've gotta admit, I'm hoping the Hyrule King is useful so I can run around kicking evil's ass as the one true ruler of Hyrule. Winter is coming and there's a newly crowned king that needs to hold a wedding and all of that trash talk.

But seriously, don't buy Triforce Heroes. Rent or burrow it for a few hours instead.

So what you're saying is that you like Triforce Heroes...  :eh
Mudada.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:34 AM »
From what I've read, Linkle isn't exclusive to the 3DS version of the game, but the extra Story Mode missions that explicitly revolve around her ARE exclusive to the 3DS. So supposedly you can play Linkle on the Wii U version, you just don't get any extra Story Mode stuff for her.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2015, 04:40:32 AM »
I liked Four Swords (though I haven't played the newest one, it looks amusing). Less about the story of the game and more about being able to mess around and have fun with your friends, in my opinion. And the "grind" means that there's a number of things you can keep playing and gaining while you play, unlike other games where replaying is just doing the same thing over and over.

To each their own, though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:42:39 AM by Gazzien »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:14 AM »
And the "grind" means that there's a number of things you can keep playing and gaining while you play, unlike other games where replaying is just doing the same thing over and over.
Yeah, not 100% sure what you're trying to say there. I don't really think you missed the point right?

Say you wanted to grind for, idk the hammer upgrade.
To do this you must play the Ice Cavern challenge maps, I think all four of them (might be three idk, ingredient list in on my phone because fuck exiting the lobby, running back to the damn shop, and talking to her, and selecting the outfit, and then hitting ingredient hint, trying to remember then on the run back to the lobby, logging in, waiting for a party, and then praying to fuck you get to play your stage). So per odds, you need to rerun all four stages three times each assuming no fails (ha not happening) and random odds are not in your favor (I still don't have the fucking ice stone after 7 runs solo using skip, 33% chance each go and I ignore half the stage). And if you're doing it online, you'll probably have to replay a map several times before you get the one you want.

And your reward: A hammer upgrade right?
Well no, an outfit that when worn upgrades your hammer. If you wear any of the other 20ish suits, because maybe you like +3 hearts or +50% sword damage instead, the upgrade pretty much sits as a highlighted icon totally fucking unused except for stages where, maybe, you're supposed to play through and they offer three hammers. Because anything less than that, well you run the risk the guy in the word master suit picked up the last hammer because he's on the clock and he isn't going to wait for you to walk up and grab it.

And you know what? Since item upgrades are pretty much fucking worthless to begin with, totally optional and none of them really increase damage (just range/duration), who the hell cares about the hammer suit? Repeat for every worthless suit in the game outside of pretty much a few key ones, and no you really don't need the other suits to grind for the bet ones. Unupgraded hammer curbstomps most of the Sky Temple's enemies leaving you with vs boss. Life gain / increased life pretty much are the 'gotos' and one of those is totally free by spamming the skip button.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:51:56 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
Demon's Souls remake would be in a weird spot, given it was published by different companies in each region. I could see it end up being polished up by From's second team, and published as a digital download only for PS4. That said, it needs to be a proper remake with the modern souls engine updates, because the bugs and netcode are fucking atrocious by comparison.

I can definitely see DSIII being the last of the Dark series. I'm sure Miyazaki wants to move on to new IP, but I'm sure it would still be Souls-like as with Bloodborne. I'm just hoping they continue to publish for PC, instead of Sony exclusives. They could do something entirely new, or possibly work within existing IP that their new Kadokawa overlords can bestow.

Another detail of Demon's is that there was an entire additional area (Archstone) that was not completed, of which the map file can be found in the on disc content. So, they at least have some of the work and design done if they want to give players additional content to experience with an expanded remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hlEShsDl3U

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sBZ5Nr4hc

Awwww yis.

Also good news: ACE COMBAT 7 IS COMING!  And it sounds like it will be VR compatible, but not required.  AND... most importantly...

Strangereal is fucking back baby!
Mudada.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
I seriously fucking hope against hope they'll let us pick the Japanese voices when it's released.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 05:40:45 PM »
Tri Force Heroes Round 2 - DLC Edition

I... Actually like the DLC.

The DLC added two outfits, one of which let's you see the items in the end chests which means that after you grind for it and you are out ingredient hunting you can do see with 100% accuracy. You can even use two skips to nab a Common/Medium ingredient reducing dungeon runs down to about half. It's a very welcome addition and I'll talk about the second outfit in a minute.

Online play is supposed to have a questionnaire, I haven't cared to play online (screw em all) to test how effective it is but unless it's a 400 question personality test that's repeated a month apart I doubt it'll be too effective and you can just lie on it anyway.

But what really matters is the Den of Evil. It contains -90% bullshit and actually brings a form of progression to the game. It appears as the "9th" area of the map true to it's MMO theme is pretty much a repeat. You enter a main area that steady gains teleporters in it as a sort of new continue point every five stages and each contiune point also serves as an area change as you're dragged through all 8 areas again, because new themes be dammed.

You start with one fairy and skip is disabled in solo play, every continue point or 5th area gives a random chest and an extra fairy with the final-final reward being dependant on if you started from the first area all over again or skipped some in this run, ranging from 1 of 9 chests (all rares) to 1 of 3 chests (all mediums). Now the areas pretty much are modeled after the main so-called story progression but they feature very little multiplayer puzzle solving and almost zero multiplayer timing allowing you to play through on solo purely on your ability in LoZ-style combat and that's where they actually shine.

By dropping the bullshit swap mechanic as a prime feature in favor of totem is simply an enemy's weakness and swapping characters is really just item changing you can actually sit back and enjoy some fighting. Several of the arenas do have a certain strategy tied to them, it's not quite pure forward killing but it's close, which really helps break up things compared to LbW's arena. It's a nice balance.

The final fight is also you vs three Shadow Links. They use upgraded items too and if you don't wear the right outfit you're pretty SoL. The items they used will be partially based on what you choose at the start but it always seems one of them will use Bombs (maybe it's because I always pick up a hammer?). So far, upgraded Boomerangs (unblockable area stun & dmg), the golden Swordmaster Suit (increased sword range to land hits), and an upgraded Hammer (massive area stun) work the best for killing them. To be honest, the Boomerang was the best one I've used so far thanks to being able to hit all three of them once or twice and maybe get a sword hit and/or pit fall in.

Completing the Den of Trails also unlocks the Fierce Deity Outfit. It functions like the first sword master suit except it shoots a total of four beams (two to the sides and one backwards) and no matter your current health a spin attack discharges beams. It's a nice fan service that even admits it's such.

Now if only they can release a second DLC called the overmap and hide a bunch of ingredients in some caves. Using the "areas" as repeatable dungeons that permaunlock items in the main overmap. That'd almost be a full game!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:33:23 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:56 AM »
I'm looking at getting a steam link for my tv...