Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236844 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sBZ5Nr4hc

Awwww yis.

Awwww nah.

Hype for FF7R has been steadily and rapidly decreasing as more and more news comes out.

I no longer think they are going to pull this one off.  FF7 is lost to us.
Mudada.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
They couldn't get the fucking lipsync right.  Same thing for the movies from what I recall.  If you're going to put millions of dollars into the game, at least get those animations right for the big language releases!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
They couldn't get the fucking lipsync right.  Same thing for the movies from what I recall.  If you're going to put millions of dollars into the game, at least get those animations right for the big language releases!
Or for fuck's sake, let us listen to the original audio!
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
You're not hyped for FF7R anymore?  How about that it's being turned into a multi-part series in order to not cut content?  Or that it will actually be bigger than the original game instead?

Ah yes.  It will certainly be impossible to fit all 1.37 GB of story on a computer without cutting content.  Ah, wait, that's with the graphical content.  I'd no idea what percentage of that is actually models, programming code for mechanics (which they tossed), and how much of that is story.

I'm being sarcastic, but seriously?  Even with the conversion to full 3D and all, it brings up a big question.  If it's going to be so much data that they can't fit it on today's bluerays, do what they did before.  Multiple discs.

You'll have to forgive me if I am less than hopeful to hear "bigger than the original".  You may hear 'new content', and I hear 'Star Wars prequels'.  FF15 isn't out yet, so I don't know if I can trust new SE not to Lucas this up.  And I do remember what expansions they've added already, ranging from "ok" to "fanwank Genesis nonsense".
Mudada.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
First, lip-syncing cutscenes for other languages is typically not done until the localization is done, which comes after the game is finished, not in the middle of development.  Sure, it looks slightly worse for overseas fans, but the other options would have been to wait an extra month at least to lip sync for each extra language the commercial was going to be recorded in, or to just release the Japanese commercials and not record versions for other languages at all.  As for the movie, I can't think of one movie that got localized and got lip synced for the other languages.  Games, however, do get such treatment on a fairly frequent basis.

For them splitting content, the article mentions nothing about data size or storage limitations.  It hints at financial reasons.  In all likelihood, they need the sales from part 1 to fund development of part 3 or 4 or whatever.  And possibly, they are worried about how many sales they will actually get, so this route will help pacify their investors.  That way, if jaded fans don't end up buying FF7R, and the game tanks, then they can cut their losses.

They did mention adding new areas as some of the new content.  I don't know how much, if any, of the rest will get the "Lucas" treatment.  Perhaps a small amount, ala The Hobbit's few added scenes to more directly tie it to LotR (ultimately insignificant and those who hate it blow it out of proportion), or maybe the full "Star Wars original trilogy complete overhaul because Lucas hates his fans" bad.  Maybe somewhere in between.  One can hope, however, that it will all be extra stuff that actually will be enjoyed by most people and feel like a natural, welcome addition.  But considering the devs still have to answer to management, that's the ideal, not what will be reality.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
For them splitting content, the article mentions nothing about data size or storage limitations.  It hints at financial reasons.  In all likelihood, they need the sales from part 1 to fund development of part 3 or 4 or whatever.  And possibly, they are worried about how many sales they will actually get, so this route will help pacify their investors.  That way, if jaded fans don't end up buying FF7R, and the game tanks, then they can cut their losses.

It's this I don't understand.  They could have remastered it for free money.  Do you know how many would buy FF7 with fancier graphics?  Instead they went not only with remaking, but a major remaking where they're cutting out whole systems.  Of course that would drive up costs.  It's basically the reason FF13-2 and -3 were things, they were to recoup losses.  But maybe they shouldn't be spending so much.  They're too deep in the AAA mentality where games have to be trillion dollar events.  And the big problem for them is, because this is a remake and they're changing so much, they're losing the "free money" aspect.  Now, it's got to stand on its own rather than work with proven success. 

And I don't think they can do it.

Still, not everything is sour. Look what I found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tv3w1V5_Mg

Wow, that... is the last person I thought Nintendo would pull.  I am pleased.
Mudada.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
My only surprise is "what took them so long?"

They already had high heels Zero Suit Samus at launch after all.

EDIT: Seems like Bayoneta was the winner of the voting poll for what character should be added to SSB conducted earlier this year.

Don't really care that they're gonna try to milk the heck out of FF VII (you'll have to buy it multiple times suckers!), but here's hoping for a 3D remake of FF VI.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:07:38 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 11:46:57 PM »
Well, what they have the opportunity to do with FF7R, is actually tell the full trilogy story (Crisis Core, FF7, Advent Children), and fix some of the story gaps, lost in translations, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to add content that really expands upon the depth of the main characters, which they did a much better job of in some of the later entries. No matter what, there are still going to be people that complain because the nostalgia in their head thinks the original is still better.

What will be a bummer to me is that I'd love to see this released on PC simultaneously or soon thereafter, but I'm sure it will be a PS4 exclusive for years or forever.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 03:22:58 AM »
The original announcement for FF7R stated that it was a timed exclusive, so it will be released on other systems later, probably 6 months to a year after.  That's how those types of exclusives tend to go.
What do I win?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
So back to Triforce Heroes one more time... For a tip.

Make it a priority to buy the rupee suit, just from slashing the bushes in town you'll get 400~600 per "run" allowing you to easily buy the vendor out, hell I blew 17k on him in less than an hour. Which leads to the second deal. There is away around the clock checksums that prevent you from just changing the date on your 3DS. Just set your time to 23:58 on the 3DS and run the game, grind some rupees for a few minutes, and after the day ticks over save & restart to update the game. Due to the way the saved data is read and your playtime, on the next load it'll treat things as if a full day has passed. So pretty much 4~5 (depending on daily prize) ingredients per oh idk 2~10 minutes depending on your starting stock of rupees. And the vendor stocks rares, even multiples on some days.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »
Pokemon Go will have different pokemons in different regions. Water pokemon near large bodies of water and stuff. Certain pokemon may only be found in certain parts of the world. If you want to catch them all, you'll either have to trade with other players or go in a big trip.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Right now I'm playing the hell out of MGSV: the Phantom Pain.  It's a great game, but I love how Konami's essentially trying to enforce online play by gifting you with overpowered mercs, equipment, GMP, and such for "achievements" but only if you're logged in to their servers.  I did some tinkering and found out that the equipment (as in vehicles and materials for crafting) and GMP disappear once you go offline, but any mercs you got stay on Mother Base even when offline.

Naughty naughty Konami. :pout

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Right now I'm playing the hell out of MGSV: the Phantom Pain.  It's a great game, but I love how Konami's essentially trying to enforce online play by gifting you with overpowered mercs, equipment, GMP, and such for "achievements" but only if you're logged in to their servers.  I did some tinkering and found out that the equipment (as in vehicles and materials for crafting) and GMP disappear once you go offline, but any mercs you got stay on Mother Base even when offline.

Naughty naughty Konami. :pout

A likely answer is a cash reason from Sony/Microsoft so people will pay to subscribe to PS+/Live, as its now mandatory for online play for both camps now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2015, 02:12:40 AM »
Getting back to the MMORPG camp with Tera Online, a game i've long since considered playing, but only now really gotten to, after making sure it's not very pay to win.

So far, about 2 or 3 hours in, i'm finding the game very nice. Polished, good gameplay, decent voice acting on NPC's. Nice graphics, too, and optimized enough it runs flawlessly on my subpar gaming rig.

Didn't try controller support yet, but it was nice to see it was a thing by having my 360 controller plugged in and seeing by accident that they have a nice little UI thing on the HUD for assigning hotkeys to the controller. Very, very nice.

I still have to get the hang of the chain skill system, and the crafting system - still haven't figured that one out just yet. I'm sure the game will get grindy as all MMORPG's tend to, but Tera seems to have enough stuff to keep you relatively busy.

I have to get back to Neverwinter Online one of these days, too. Seems the new expansion released earlier this year is amazing.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2015, 03:41:29 AM »
Got my very first Binding of Isaac "win" just now.  Been watching NorthernLion and a few others play it since Afterbirth came out, and picked up a copy during the Steam sale.  It's pretty fun.  Took a couple of tries to get a victory, and even then it was only to the Mom fight so that's only the first few floors. 

Still, I can definitely see why people sink hundreds of hours in to this game.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:16 AM »
Haven't bought Afterbirth yet myself, but I've unlocked most of the goodies in Rebirth, and have 144 hours clocked in it.  And I've been watching NL for years now.  You know he's gotten almost too good at the game when he can get win streaks with The Lost ...
What do I win?

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
Getting back to the MMORPG camp with Tera Online, a game i've long since considered playing, but only now really gotten to, after making sure it's not very pay to win.

So far, about 2 or 3 hours in, i'm finding the game very nice. Polished, good gameplay, decent voice acting on NPC's. Nice graphics, too, and optimized enough it runs flawlessly on my subpar gaming rig.

Didn't try controller support yet, but it was nice to see it was a thing by having my 360 controller plugged in and seeing by accident that they have a nice little UI thing on the HUD for assigning hotkeys to the controller. Very, very nice.

I still have to get the hang of the chain skill system, and the crafting system - still haven't figured that one out just yet. I'm sure the game will get grindy as all MMORPG's tend to, but Tera seems to have enough stuff to keep you relatively busy.

When I played it some years ago, Tera was nice.

When playing on the keyboard, I just keep pressing the same button until the whole chain is over (played as Lancer and Sorcerer). For those skill that had more than one possible chain skill, I would map the skill I use the most close to the original skill's button. It worked for me.

Seeing the Brawler class, I am thinking on returning... But the time to play, Oh the time to play, it is so scarce these days...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
I'm rolling with a brawler, and so far, it's been pretty good. It's a little on the OP side, but for me, who's playing without the backing of a guild and little knowledge of the game, it's perfect.

From what i've seen, they aren't lying when they say the class has a pretty low skill ceiling. You hit while you block, basically, so you tank while dishing out very respectable damage. CC's galore as well, with knockdowns, knockbacks, stuns, staggers and knock-ups. In fact, it's hard to see a move without a CC component built in. Rage mechanic makes you hit harder as you hit more, and when your rage meter is full, you crank DPS to 11 with a finisher. Mobility is pretty good, too, with rushes to get to frontline fast, and a dodge on a reasonable enough cooldown .

It almost seems too good to be true, and it probably is, and it's going to be nerfed. I'm seeing people talking about how Brawler can solo most 5-man dungeons easily within a few levels of being able to enter them... As a result, you see brawlers everywhere.

Still need to understand the crafting mechanics of the game, though, haven't figured those out yet.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life