Author Topic: Game Thread (Rob DM)  (Read 76216 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Game Thread (Rob DM)
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »
After agreeing with the dwarves about what should be done, you are told to meet a priestess of Heironeous named Sorsha Belgen. She is both friendly to the cause and also quite knowledgeable of the local area and the history and religion surrounding the tales of the vault. You are told that she is stationed in the city of Skogen, which lies Eastern side of the Beld river, about thirty miles north of the fork.

You travel to Skogen and arrive in early May. Skogen is south of the Taren Forest, but there are still evergreen trees across the landscape. It's a cool, crisp afternoon when you arrive at the gates of the town. What few conifers you find are still budding and are without leaves, but a lot of the ground vegetation is sprouting out nicely. The trail following the river is noisy with birds.

The gates have been reinforced, as of late. New, sharpened palisades surround the city, with towers set up behind them. Each tower has no less than two archers, and the gate is manned by six soldiers. Each solider has a white and blue tabard over their armor. Soldiers are typically outfitted with studded leather or scale armor. Some have longswords and heavy shields, while some only have spears. You get the impression that the lighter-armored soldiers with spears are irregulars who have been quickly brought up to bolster the defenses on the border.

One of the soldiers with a sword calls to you as you approach the gate: "Hail! State your name and your business here!"

He, and the other guards seem relatively at ease. You're guessing they haven't seen much action around here and are just taking precautions.

OOC: Do you have a "permanent" creature summoned via Master Summoner or are you alone?
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline ZanKhellendros

• ~ A fool's paradise or a wise man's hell? ~
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread (Rob DM)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »
After agreeing with the dwarves about what should be done, you are told to meet a priestess of Heironeous named Sorsha Belgen. She is both friendly to the cause and also quite knowledgeable of the local area and the history and religion surrounding the tales of the vault. You are told that she is stationed in the city of Skogen

OOC: Do you have a "permanent" creature summoned via Master Summoner or are you alone?
OOC
{the dwarves, are they an order clerics or a counsel of lords or merchants or something like thst or is that up to me in the backstory?}
(Is Sorsha Belgen a priest stationed at a temple or would she be another traveler I'd have to locate?)
[I'd imagine I'd have something out, yes, I'll include what in next post]
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »
OOC
{the dwarves, are they an order clerics or a counsel of lords or merchants or something like thst or is that up to me in the backstory?}
It's your story, so it's up to you. All that really matters is that they'd believe in the obscure prophesies, and that you feel they have a vested interest in the outcome of this whole thing. It's entirely possible they've elaborated on the prophesies and believe things that may be incorrect, or they might just be sticking to the few facts they know and are afraid of the unknown.

(Is Sorsha Belgen a priest stationed at a temple or would she be another traveler I'd have to locate?)
She is not expecting you. Assume that at least one of them knows her and knows that she's stationed there. You could always name-drop the dwarf who told you to meet her when you do.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
To Gaurd
"I have traveled far and am seeking a warm room and a home cooked meal.
I also wanted to meet with the priests of Heironeous, you have a temple here or some site of worship I could locate them at?"

I have a celestial dog with me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:04:51 PM by ZanKhellendros »
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
The guard listens to what you say, looking you and your dog over:

(click to show/hide)

He responds fairly well to you: "There are plenty of good places to eat, here. Many of them are near the gates. I can recommend The Crystal Stein for their beer and Aunt Hendrika's for food. They're both within two blocks of here.

Go to the temple near the center of town if you're looking for any priests of Heironeous. You can't miss it."

Once you get into the town, it's pretty busy. There are people and carts all over the place. There are a few guards here and there, but most seem to be stationed at the gates or on the towers by the palisades. Two things you notice, as you walk about:

1) Very few people apart from you and the guards are openly carrying weapons. There's not a ban in this land, but there just aren't many weapons actually around.

2) The number of women you see in the street is over double the number of men. Many appear to be working in jobs you might have typically found men in.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
He responds fairly well to you:
 "There are plenty of good places to eat, here. Many of them are near the gates. I can recommend The Crystal Stein for their beer and Aunt Hendrika's for food. They're both within two blocks of here.
"Thank you" I'll head on in
Go to the temple near the center of town if you're looking for any priests of Heironeous. You can't miss it."
First thing I'll check out this temple

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
As promised, you couldn't miss it. The temple stands tall in the middle of the city, taller than the other buildings. It can be seen from blocks away. You notice it resembles a fortress as much it does a temple, yet it still retains a lot of the elegance you'd expect. Tall, white and blue banners hang from the edges of the wall. The temple and it's approaches take up a full city block. There are people all around it traveling to and from the market, but relatively few people are going in or out of the temple.

You walk in the massive, open wooden doors. The entry way is very tall and gives way to a taller sanctuary. There are pews in the sanctuary which are sparsely populated. You can hear various patrons uttering their prayers, but no service is currently being held. The clerics in here are all wearing white robes with blue stoles. Several of them are fully armed and armored, wearing white and blue tabards. One jumps out at you, in particular.

She is a red-haired dwarven women with green eyes, looking to be not much more than four feet tall. Her hair is pulled back into a single, long braid. Her white tabard has a blue motif of a gauntlet clutching a lightning bolt, and it flows over her glowing full plate armor. She has a sheathed long sword and a long bow slung over her back. Her steel shield is on her back, over the bow, and it is emblazoned with a holy symbol. She is carrying two books with her, and walking somewhere in the temple with a purpose.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
OOC:
(click to show/hide)
I follow after her at a fast walk and raise my voice enough to be heard from her distance but held back enough as to minimize my disturbing the others here "Sorsha Belgen, Can I speak with you?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
OOC:
(click to show/hide)
Yes. You can see it's made of steel, but it gives off light.

I follow after her at a fast walk and raise my voice enough to be heard from her distance but held back enough as to minimize my disturbing the others here "Sorsha Belgen, Can I speak with you?"
She looks at you, unfamiliarly: "Yes..."
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I Continue to walk until I have reach her with a soft voice, I wish no one else to hear.

" You are Sorsha Belgen, correct? "
" I was sent by High Priest Ulfgar Strakeln to the city of Skogen to find you, you know him I'm told? "
" I have traveled far, from the dwarven homeland, I was left as a child at the temple and raised by the Order of Hieroneous, Measter Raigar Ungart brought me up in his house. After Raigar past on Ulfgar kept me as his pupil. He told me to seek you out, that you had knowledge of the local area and its people. I am here to investigate this legend about the Vault. High Priest Ulfgar Strakeln, he and the other priests, had concerns and sent me to ensure the safety of the dwarven people if it is as powerful a find as everyone has been led to believe. "
" I would have been here weeks ago but was held up by unforseen events "

I pause between each question to get a response, if she says anything unexpected as in other than the affirmative, then I would allow her to elaborate.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »
As you catch up, she engages you. Her accent sounds like an odd mix of Dwarven and Bjorin, which sounds like what we might describe as Eastern European.

" You are Sorsha Belgen, correct? "
"Yes, I am."

" I was sent by High Priest Ulfgar Strakeln to the city of Skogen to find you, you know him I'm told? "
"Yes. I went through training around the same time as his nephew, Durig. I met his uncle a long time ago, but Durig and I still write."

" I have traveled far, from the dwarven homeland, I was left as a child at the temple and raised by the Order of Hieroneous, Measter Raigar Ungart brought me up in his house. After Raigar past on Ulfgar kept me as his pupil. He told me to seek you out, that you had knowledge of the local area and its people. I am here to investigate this legend about the Vault. High Priest Ulfgar Strakeln, he and the other priests, had concerns and sent me to ensure the safety of the dwarven people if it is as powerful a find as everyone has been led to believe. "
She slows her walk down at this point, and her voice drops a bit lower.

"This is something I've researched for a while. It's not something I share with most of the other priests here. Many of them find the notion unfounded, or even ridiculous. Is this something you believe, or are you working at the behest of your masters?"

" I would have been here weeks ago but was held up by unforseen events "

"That is unfortunate. Hopefully everything was resolved as best as it could be."

"Do you have a place to stay? There are many nice inns in the town, but you can stay in one of the monk's quarters here, short term, if you like. I'd like to discuss things further with you, later, but I do not wish to go into detail here. I will be done with my regular duties this evening and I could meet you for a late dinner. Jern Hammer (You recognize as Dwarven for "Iron Hammer") is pretty good. How about 7:30?"
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
"This is something I've researched for a while. It's not something I share with most of the other priests here. Many of them find the notion unfounded, or even ridiculous. Is this something you believe, or are you working at the behest of your masters?"
"I believe what my evidence will tell me, til then I keep an open mind to all things "

"Do you have a place to stay? There are many nice inns in the town, but you can stay in one of the monk's quarters here, short term, if you like. I'd like to discuss things further with you, later, but I do not wish to go into detail here. I will be done with my regular duties this evening and I could meet you for a late dinner. Jern Hammer (You recognize as Dwarven for "Iron Hammer") is pretty good. How about 7:30?"
"Some rest here would be fine, I can make my own accommodations as things unfold from here. If I could rest here a while til you are ready. And dinner this evening sounds fantastic, I've been looking forward to a hot meal served at a table. "

(click to show/hide)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
"Some rest here would be fine, I can make my own accommodations as things unfold from here. If I could rest here a while til you are ready. And dinner this evening sounds fantastic, I've been looking forward to a hot meal served at a table. "
She shows you to a hall with many small rooms. You're given a tiny 8x8 foot room with a bed, small dresser, and a night stand.

"Okay. I'll meet you at the entrance of the temple this evening."

(click to show/hide)
You get the feeling that several people recognize it for what it is. It hasn't been stopped.

OOC: Is there anything else you want to do, or shall we move on to the dinner?
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Gregory was going to rest, at least for a while. I suppose a couple hours before he would do some site seeing around town then head to the dinner meeting early.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »
Gregory was going to rest, at least for a while. I suppose a couple hours before he would do some site seeing around town
A few things of note:
  • The only temple you've seen anywhere is to Heironeous.
  • You've noticed a lot of signs at both blacksmith and weaponsmith shops advertising open positions.
  • You see a few "out of business" signs at some bakeries. More seem closed than open.
  • There are a couple of breweries that have recently added "and winery" to their signs.
  • Again, the number of women you see, both on the street and holding jobs is about double what you see of men.
  • There are very few horses in town. Pretty much every cart is pulled by cows or donkeys.
  • The vast majority of the guards you see are on the towers or at the gates. There are relatively few actually inside the town. They tend to travel in pairs.
Is there anything else in particular you're looking for?

then head to the dinner meeting early.
Note she's planning on meeting you at the temple, since that's where you're staying and where she is. You'd probably either want to tell her to meet you there or head back to the temple after checking out Jern Hammer first.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Gregory was going to rest, at least for a while. I suppose a couple hours before he would do some site seeing around town
A few things of note:
    [1]You've noticed a lot of signs at both blacksmith and weaponsmith shops advertising open positions.
    [2]There are a couple of breweries that have recently added "and winery" to their signs.
    [3]Again, the number of women you see, both on the street and holding jobs is about double what you see of men.
    [4]There are very few horses in town. Pretty much every cart is pulled by cows or donkeys.
Is there anything else in particular you're looking for?
1, Stop in and look around, "I'm in need of a new bastard sword" 2, Stop in and check out whats available, not for myself to drink. 3, I'd imagine I would see young children and old men though? 4, What kinds of things do I see in these carts in general, or if anything specific and strange seems to catch my attention?
then head to the dinner meeting early.
Note she's planning on meeting you at the temple, since that's where you're staying and where she is. You'd probably either want to tell her to meet you there or head back to the temple after checking out Jern Hammer first.
Yes, I would find and take a quick look inside and around JernHammer then head back to temple to meet

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
1, Stop in and look around, "I'm in need of a new bastard sword"
Most stores do not have any bastard swords, and tell you it will be a month until they can make it. The one store that does have one offers to sell it for 105 gp.

2, Stop in and check out whats available, not for myself to drink.
Mostly wine and some spirits. Very little beer is available, and it's all rather pricey.

3, I'd imagine I would see young children and old men though?
Yes. The number of old people and children seems to be about what you'd expect. There just aren't many men around, and the women are picking up the slack.

4, What kinds of things do I see in these carts in general, or if anything specific and strange seems to catch my attention?
The usual fare. What is unusual is the lack of horses.

Yes, I would find and take a quick look inside and around JernHammer then head back to temple to meet
It's dimly lit, but it is pretty pleasant inside. The bottom half of the walls and the floor are made of masonry. The tables and chairs are all of thick, solid construction, with little ornate detail. The place offers several types of meat for dinner, as well as several soups and salads. They do have beer on tap, but it runs 2 to 5 sp a glass (this is three to five times what you might otherwise expect). The meal and wine prices are mostly unaffected.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 12:54:09 AM »
1, "I'm in need of a new bastard sword"
The one store that does have one offers to sell it for 105 gp.
" I don't have that much gold at the moment but I do have this longsword, how much would you give for this if I were to trade this in when I can come up with the funds"
It's dimly lit, but it is pretty pleasant inside. The bottom half of the walls and the floor are made of masonry. The tables and chairs are all of thick, solid construction, with little ornate detail. The place offers several types of meat for dinner, as well as several soups and salads. They do have beer on tap, but it runs 2 to 5 sp a glass (this is three to five times what you might otherwise expect). The meal and wine prices are mostly unaffected.
I need to drum up some loot. If nothing was discovered in my wanderings, other then long term employment (although I may some work at the forge could be possible if I remain and have the time while in this town) , I'd seek out some kind of guard post or town meeting place to inquire about some kind of rewards for actions. If I have time before meeting her or if its later and would have to wait.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
" I don't have that much gold at the moment but I do have this longsword, how much would you give for this if I were to trade this in when I can come up with the funds"
He offers you 30 gp for it.

I need to drum up some loot. If nothing was discovered in my wanderings, other then long term employment (although I may some work at the forge could be possible if I remain and have the time while in this town) , I'd seek out some kind of guard post or town meeting place to inquire about some kind of rewards for actions. If I have time before meeting her or if its later and would have to wait.
They are eagerly enlisting new soldiers, but that's probably not what you want, given that you'd be expected to follow orders and lose all sense of freedom. Still, there are signs up all over town.

Most of the postings in the town square are for mundane trade deals and job postings.

There is one posting of a shepherd losing sheep. It doesn't seem like they are being killed as they are flat-out disappearing. He's offering a 10 gp reward for anyone who can figure out or stop the problem, and 1 gp for each of his six missing sheep. He is located out to the west of the city.

Several caravans are looking for guards to travel with them on a city-by-city basis. It pays 5 sp a day, plus rations, but that also ties you up for a week or two at a time, and ends you up in a different city. Still, the offers seem consistent if you want in the future.

Other than that, there isn't much going on, regarding work, unless you're looking for short-term employment to just meet basic living costs (although, honestly, those other two jobs don't pay much more than that).
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
"... when I can come up with the funds"
He offers you 30 gp for it.
"Thats fine, I will need this sword to assist in gathering the rest of the funds, I'll return in a couple days."
..... inquire about some kind of rewards for actions. If I have time before meeting her or if its later and would have to wait.
There is one posting of a shepherd losing sheep. It doesn't seem like they are being killed as they are flat-out disappearing. He's offering a 10 gp reward for anyone who can figure out or stop the problem, and 1 gp for each of his six missing sheep. He is located out to the west of the city.
I am interested in this and will follow up when I get a chance. And unless I have the time to go speak with this farmer it should wait til morning at least. IF I do have the time I'll head that way.
(Gregory thinks its ogres but could be a lot of things really)
What time is it now, after my exploring?