Author Topic: The Politics Thread v3  (Read 95738 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: The Politics Thread v3
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
Bernie endorsed ... and looked quite idk between  :-\ and  >:( standing behind H.

Pence is still on the list.  I doubt Newt's gonna be it, heck his job was so much easier than Boehner's with no tea no nos.
The 3rd is a miitary guy who has been Publicly on camera pro-choice ... which is a conniption-able offense, I do say.

Poll of under 30s, had it about 40 20 20 20 for Hill Trump Libertarian and Green (lost the link for this).

CNN latest has it 42 38 9 7 nationally.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:56:29 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
Bernie endorsed ... and looked quite idk between  :-\ and  >:( standing behind H.

Pence is still on the list.  I doubt Newt's gonna be it, heck his job was so much easier than Boehner's with no tea no nos.
The 3rd is a miitary guy who has been Publicly on camera pro-choice ... which is a conniption-able offense, I do say.

Poll of under 30s, had it about 40 20 20 20 for Hill Trump Libertarian and Green (lost the link for this).

....well, I suppose it's time to go Jill Stien and bunker down for 4 years.
Mudada.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
Continue working towards a better future.  Elect the local Berniecrats in your area, and change the system from the bottom up.  I wasn't expecting him to do even this well, deserving the nomination after all the BS he and his supporters were put through.  All Clinton had to do was not screw it up, and she did, hard.  Being a Clinton had a lot to do with it of course.  Clinton is in the awkward position of barely beating (and having to rely on shenanigans to beat) someone who didn't want to be president to the nomination of the party her opponent wasn't even a part of.  That's how bad of a candidate she is.

Bernie didn't want the nomination or the presidency.  He wanted to revitalize the leftward movement of the 30s and 60s, bring progressive politics back into vogue.  He has absolutely accomplished his goals.  There are more young people engaged than....dare I say ever before?  If not ever before in percentage, at least in volume.  He got a coalition of young people involved in politics and he has encouraged and provided the spark for the next generations to take back politics from the corporate politics it is now.  He understood that this was a long march towards progress, not a revolution.  A lot of his followers didn't, but now they are part of the new revolution in 4 years.  The worst is yet to come, but this is not a pessimistic or painful thing.  4-8 years from now, after Hillary loses her reelection bid to whoever the (R)s put up, will be bad.  But then things will get better.  After that election, maybe even before, a lot of the Berniecrats will be moving up the ranks in the world of politics.  He has planted the seeds of change, and in 8-16 years time we will reap the rewards.  Eventually, he will be vindicated, and celebrated, when one of his charges, those who heeded his call to arms, takes the oath and swears in to the presidency.  It will come, in our lifetime.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »
Buy an entry level pump shotgun, a wide variety of ammo, and prepare for the Trump Riots.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2016, 02:21:04 AM »
Buy an entry level pump shotgun, a wide variety of ammo, and prepare for the Trump Riots.

I would not recommend a "wide variety of ammo", really if you are going to be thinking about the possibility of shooting a person with a shotgun you want "Double aught" Buckshot or maybe slugs.
Honestly though I would recommend an intermediate caliber carbine well before a shotgun, it will cost a little more but is far more effective for home defense.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:37:45 AM by Vladeshi »
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »

....well, I suppose it's time to go Jill Stien and bunker down for 4 years.

You, and everyone expressing this sentiment, are driving me insane. Mostly the people posting one preachy message at a time.

Going by what I've seen, you'd think Hillary was proposing everyone eat babies once a week and Trump was a saint now.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
And I'm disappointed by people who are like you're describing Raineh. I always say vote your conscience, the person best for the job. I will most likely vote Stein in the general, because I don't vote for conservatives, and Trump is insane.  Hillary can be awful, but trump far worse, this is a thing that is possible, and in my mind it is true.  Hillary will win the general, hopefully we can send a message with enough people voting 3rd party that it breaks the two party system, if only for a while, and things will be like they were in the late 90s/early 2000s.  Trump sends us back to the 50s, Clinton only sends us back 20 years. It won't be THAT bad, but things will be worse than they are now with respect to certain policy types.  Then things will get better.  The presidency doesn't have as immediate of an effect as people think.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
I think it's the confluence of Trump supporters who've not changed position, people who've got nobody to support and just decided to attack the person who's (not really, blame voters) responsible for that, and seeing it when I'm trying to entertain myself. Also the constant attempts to encapsulate how much of a mess any high-ranking law issues are in a single meme or soundbite. If you aren't a legal scholar, please stop bleating that it must be illegal when you only have room for two sentences.

Though the people who've gone from Bernie to Trump baffle me. Did they pay any attention?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:52:52 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
latest under 30 Pew poll goes 47 - 21 - 22 , Hill Trump Libertarian , no green.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/09/could-donald-trump-lose-the-millennial-vote-to-gary-johnson/
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
I think it's the confluence of Trump supporters who've not changed position, people who've got nobody to support and just decided to attack the person who's (not really, blame voters) responsible for that, and seeing it when I'm trying to entertain myself. Also the constant attempts to encapsulate how much of a mess any high-ranking law issues are in a single meme or soundbite. If you aren't a legal scholar, please stop bleating that it must be illegal when you only have room for two sentences.

Though the people who've gone from Bernie to Trump baffle me. Did they pay any attention?

revenge

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
You, and everyone expressing this sentiment, are driving me insane. Mostly the people posting one preachy message at a time.

Going by what I've seen, you'd think Hillary was proposing everyone eat babies once a week and Trump was a saint now.
Serious question: what is Hillary's stance on our drone strike programs, and the civilian casulities they incur? Or are we still defining all dead individuals between 16 and 60 as terrorists?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »

Serious question: what is Hillary's stance on our drone strike programs, and the civilian casulities they incur? Or are we still defining all dead individuals between 16 and 60 as terrorists?

I'm not going to trust the person who's running on a campaign of building walls and not working with other companies to retain peaceful actions when given any level of control over the world's largest military.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »

I have no problem with the use of drones.  In fact, I'd prefer them be used.  They are more accurate than a fighter-bomber, and less expensive, and safer.  I do have a problem with how they've been used.  But I think it's missing a bit of the point saying Obama's used more drones than all other presidents combined, because he's had them, and better ones, his whole presidency, and Bush didn't see them until later on.  There's some other considerations at play, as this is a very complex issue, and I think the biggest drawback is that because they're so cheap and easy, they're more likely to be used.  However they are safer with regards to civilian casualties than the alternatives.  In my view they are a tool that can be very useful if used correctly.

As for Clinton's view, it's probably similar to that, with the addendum that for her the 'more likely to be used' thing is not a drawback, so she would be more likely to use them prolifically than I would.  And by that I mean she'd actually use them, because she'd be very active in militaristic strategies.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »

I'm not going to trust the person who's running on a campaign of building walls and not working with other companies to retain peaceful actions when given any level of control over the world's largest military.

And would you care to answer the question at any point?

I have no problem with the use of drones.  In fact, I'd prefer them be used.  They are more accurate than a fighter-bomber, and less expensive, and safer.  I do have a problem with how they've been used.  But I think it's missing a bit of the point saying Obama's used more drones than all other presidents combined, because he's had them, and better ones, his whole presidency, and Bush didn't see them until later on.  There's some other considerations at play, as this is a very complex issue, and I think the biggest drawback is that because they're so cheap and easy, they're more likely to be used.  However they are safer with regards to civilian casualties than the alternatives.  In my view they are a tool that can be very useful if used correctly.

As for Clinton's view, it's probably similar to that, with the addendum that for her the 'more likely to be used' thing is not a drawback, so she would be more likely to use them prolifically than I would.  And by that I mean she'd actually use them, because she'd be very active in militaristic strategies.

Leaving aside the issue of whether war itself is moral or not, and of whether the wars we are currently engaged in are moral - or even legal - I do have to say that drones are a fantastic military resource that are liable to horrendous misuse. I believe we all saw the relevant John Oliver clip.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:04:03 PM by Solo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:16 PM »

And would you care to answer the question at any point?

Do I care to answer rhetorical questions directly? No. That would be stupid. We both know what the answer is, so there's no point in my giving it instead of why I don't think it's enough differentiation.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
Just to be clear: We both know the answer is that Hillary Clinton, while not the type to eat babies, will occasionally send a Hellfire missile their way?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
And that Trump's no saint that has called for the death penalty to be reinstated to kill people who turned out to be innocent, yes.

Though my complaint was how often people were obsessing over the email investigation in memes. I'm pretty sure that the other side isn't any better on murky law.

Foreign policy is hopeless on all fronts.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2016, 03:16:54 AM »

I would not recommend a "wide variety of ammo", really if you are going to be thinking about the possibility of shooting a person with a shotgun you want "Double aught" Buckshot or maybe slugs.
Honestly though I would recommend an intermediate caliber carbine well before a shotgun, it will cost a little more but is far more effective for home defense.
Of course you need a wide variety!  Silver for werewolves, iron for faeries, wood for vampires, depleted uranium, blessed, you name it.  Best to have a magazine with one of each so you can test what kind of ammo you need and switch to the right magazine for total annihilation.   :D

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2016, 01:53:33 AM »

Of course you need a wide variety!  Silver for werewolves, iron for faeries, wood for vampires, depleted uranium, blessed, you name it.  Best to have a magazine with one of each so you can test what kind of ammo you need and switch to the right magazine for total annihilation.   :D

And now I have to figure out how to do this reliably in a firearm. :shakefist
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2016, 02:32:47 AM »
Actually, wood bullets exist - they're a type of less than lethal munition.

But it has to be the wood of a rowan tree. Or something.