Author Topic: Githyanki martial adepts, fluff and optimization  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Hades

• Stop Time, Thou art so beautiful!
    • View Profile
Githyanki martial adepts, fluff and optimization
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
Hi. I'm restatting various githyanki NPCs for my upcoming campaign.

For Githwarriors capitans I'll use warblade as a base class (diamond mind discipline is perfect falvour-wise, since they're psionic creatures).

For Knights, instead of the awful blackguard class I'm thinking about paladin of tyranny 4/crusader X. I thoughts about RKV (removing the "workship Wee-Jas" fluff), but since paladin of tyranny has just the spells from UA, githyanki has -2 Wisdom and paladin is quite MAD, I'm more for the "holy warrior" ACF from Complete Champion.

Thinking about their maneuvers... Since they live in the Astral Plane, and Stone Dragon maneuvers works only when the martial adept is on the ground, should I gave some of them or role-wise is better to focus on other disicplines? (there would be a nice sinergy between their silver cord - severing swords and Mountain Hammer to ignore the cord's hardness, but since Mountain Hammer can't work if the adept is flying, it quite difficult to be in contact on the ground and be in melee with an astral body)

And about casters, since in the Astral Plane All spells and spell-like abilities are automatically Qucikened, does it should be better to avoid to give Quicken spells to githyanki casters (maybe give them Twin Spell instead)?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Githyanki martial adepts, fluff and optimization
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »
hmm ... going all the way back to 1e, Githyanki are
Fighters , Magic Users  :tongue wizards , "Gish" the original Fighter+Wizard ,
and Anti-Paladin (of some sort) either LE or CE, I guess NE is possible too ,
and of course a sprinkling of Psi.

Ur-Priest fluff is nearly perfect, since Gith only have a Lich Queen but no gods.
So going RKV that way is fine.

Using a Silver Sword for that single strike Glass Cannon bye-bye Astral Plane hit, is right up a Gith's alley.

Fighter 1 / Erudite 7~ish or so / Illithid Slayer 10 ... I mean this is the basic Gish already, with Erudite slightly more wizard-y.

I don't think going so far down to that old school, would even consider what ToB is at all.
But you can, ToB being far better game design than anything strictly 1e based.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Hades

• Stop Time, Thou art so beautiful!
    • View Profile
Re: Githyanki martial adepts, fluff and optimization
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
Thank you for the advice.

Yes, Ur-Priest RKV makes Githyanki Knights SCARY. And for the skill requirements for UP and RKV, Keeper of the Forbidden Lore from FC2 helps a lot. A good start imho is Hexblade/Crusader (so those knights also have mettle).

For gishes we can give them arcane gishes and psionic gishes as well... Hell, the very term "gish" came from them XD

The ToB feat "Instant Clarity" imho is very nice to give them insta psionic focus to trigger psionic feats like Deep Impact. Better than psionic meditation, due to their racial -2 to Wisdom.