Author Topic: Half-Golem  (Read 31919 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Half-Golem
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
You have to take the wizard level before the first level of half-golem if you want to progress wizard casting.

Yes, I guess that it falls under the "ToBhou can benefit from spellcasting-advancing prcs". But as above, you'll have to pick up the martial class before entering half-golem.

You try to come up with completely original ideas for hundreds of fancy materials. :P

Clarified what happens to Unstability once you get New Generation.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
I imagine.  :p

The Zodar material addition is really neat but I'm not sure untyped damage immunity is a good idea. Though perhaps I should really shut up and just abuse it while I can.  :plotting

Unstability (or Instability? Unstability isn't an English word) remains a tactical decision considering it removes your ability to choose what you attack and forces you to spend actions to attack, which isn't a bad thing in itself.

Also, would the Malformed Body monstrous feat affect the Strength score increases of the Half-Golem Improvement ability?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
No, the Improvement from the half-golem is separate from the class progression.

As for immunity to untyped damage, I'll point out that mechas can always count their attacks as Force effects when it would be benefical for them. Added clause that it removes any other half-golem absortion capacity you may have because yes, still pretty strong.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
Mecha damage isn't what I had in mind. Hehe.

It removing the absorption of other materials is inconsequential when you're only a Half-Golem so using that as a balancing point might not be the best idea.
Becoming a Fusion-Golem is a leap of faith until you get its last level seeing how Instability can be a TPK thing. Does Twin Core still grants immunity to the element or is the removal of absorption removing that as well?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 04:15:38 AM »
Mecha damage isn't what I had in mind. Hehe.

It removing the absorption of other materials is inconsequential when you're only a Half-Golem so using that as a balancing point might not be the best idea.
It's more suposed to prevent one from just grabbing easy immunity to Force effects.

Becoming a Fusion-Golem is a leap of faith until you get its last level seeing how Instability can be a TPK thing. Does Twin Core still grants immunity to the element or is the removal of absorption removing that as well?
You don't get the immunity from twin core.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »
Easy immunity to force effects? Force damage isn't untyped. :???
Oh, I see. To prevent getting another material for force immunity. Didn't even notice there was one for it. If its just that you can always make them incompatible with eachother instead of destroying a class ability.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:55:00 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:29 AM »
Check magic missile, the basic force damage spell.

Changed it to don't stack with force materials then.

This prone to change in a whim depending on what you figure out to do with it of course. I was just trying to come up with something more original since the Zodar isn't tied to any element really.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 05:32:55 AM »
Well, here's one of the ways I found to abuse it.
With the Shield-Guardian effect, I get a shield other on everyone and get healed every time they are damaged. I get to cut their damage in half and heal at the same time. Very sweet.

...I think I you're gonna kill the untyped immunity altogether now.
If that can help you, the Zodar is immune to attacks that aren't bludgeoning damage. Could be a weapon-type regeneration or some kind of immunity or absorption of slash/piercing.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:39:44 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »
...What exactly makes you think that the Shield Guardian magically converts the half damage into untyped damage :psyduck

Not to mention the Shield Guardian specifically can only shield one creature at a time.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
...What exactly makes you think that the Shield Guardian magically converts the half damage into untyped damage
The effect transfers damaged suffered by the target, not the damage itself. So it is untyped and that is the general consensus and understanding of it. Better because it prevents easier abuses.
If for some reason you don't have it convert to untyped, then I want Shield Other even more.  :psyduck

Not to mention the Shield Guardian specifically can only shield one creature at a time.
Wrong. It can be used 1/4HD times a day, so one target per use. Nothing stops it from having more than one use active at a time. You might be thinking about the stored spell.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:33:11 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37:59 AM »
Shield Guardian

At level 3, the Shield Guardian gains the ability to magically shield its charge from damage, allowing it to partially absorb even blows that manage to get around its defenses. It may use Shield Other as a SLA at will, but may only have one creature targeted by this ability at a time. It is considered to be "Shielding" the target of this ability (i.e. "shielding its charge"), which will open up the use of other abilities at later levels.

No other abilities of the Shield Guardian mentions anything about permanently protecting creatures equal to 1/4 HD.

But I tire of this nonsense. Half-Zodar doesn't absorb, resists or is immune to any damage now, and will never be.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
That is the actual Shield Guardian.
I was under the impression that I was discussing the Shield Guardian goleimic weapon, which does not have this limitation.

But I tire of this nonsense. Half-Zodar doesn't absorb, resists or is immune to any damage now, and will never be.
Cool with that. You can nerf your stuff as you wish.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
There's shield guardians (that don't get a golemaic weapon), and then there's half-shield guardians (that do get a golemaic weapon).

I have no trouble in nerfing something that was specifically requested by someone else and I'll most probably never use myself.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 07:25:15 AM »
Yes. I said the shield guardian effect, and we're in the Half-Golem thread, and I'm an android, which makes taking a few levels in shield guardian less than optimal. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm grateful for that addition, and for the nerf. I did say I didn't think that immunity was a good idea and you swiftly acted on it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:28:12 AM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
Does the Relief golemaic weapon ignores this clause once the half-golem reaches HD 10 and bypasses immunities to the golemaic weapons?
A Half Relief Golem can surprise attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies: undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits or sneak attacks is not vulnerable to surprise attacks.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
No, the immunity-bypassing only applies to attacks that allow a save.

Offline Gnarnia

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi Oslecamo,

when you write "Prototype Body(Ex): At first level the Half Golem gains a bonus to natural armor class equal to half its Constitution modifier" can I ask for clarification/stacking if that's an enhancement bonus to natural armor (such as what comes from barkskin), an improvement to existing natural armor bonus (such as what's in the vampire template in SRD), or a flat natural armor bonus (such was what's inherent to a base creatures and just worded differently)?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:49 AM »
Flat natural bonus that doesn't stack with others, clarified.

Offline Niu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 02:29:51 AM »
Question about the siege golem. It says that creatures in the area hit by it's boulder, from the golemaic weapon take "damage as appropriate." What exactly is "damage as appropriate," or where would someone find a table for that?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 04:55:10 AM »
Clarified up.