Author Topic: Shade  (Read 10529 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Shade
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
Shade(template)

Prerequisites

To become a Shade, the character must meet the following requirements:
-Must be a non-outsider corporeal living being of nongood Alignment.
-Must have 5HD or more.
-Must have performed an important task for another Shade, which then will perform a 24 hour ritual on the character.

HD:d8
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Shade Body, Light Unpowering, Shadow Speed, Night Field, Control Light, Dark Healing, Shadow Magic (Lesser), +1 Con
2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Dark Blow, Shadow Stride, Black Blessing, Shadow Magic(Intermidiate), +1 Cha
3rd
+1
+1
+3
+3
HandFang, Black Canopy, Shadow Magic (Greater), +1 Con, +1 Cha
Skills: 4+int mod. Class skills are bluff, hide, intimidate, listen, knowledge(arcana) knowledge(the planes), move silently, sense motive, spellcraft, and spot

Proficiencies: A Shade gains no new proficiencies.

Features:

Shade Body:
Unlike other monster classes, the Shade doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, but he does gain native outsider traits (basically darkvision 60 feet). Their life spans are increased by a tenfold.

Light Unpowering: Unless otherwise noted, none of the below Shade abilities apply in a well illuminated area, be it actual daylight or a Daylight spell.

Shadow Speed: The Shade gains a 20 feet bonus to all his movement speeds.

Night Field: The Shade gains a Deflection bonus to AC equal to his Cha mod, a bonus on Hide and Move Silently Checks equal to his HD, and a bonus on Spot and Listen equal to half his HD.

Control Light: The Shade can decrease the levels of light whitin a 100 feet radius by a factor of 10% per HD (up to 100%, can decrease less than maximum). For beings depedent on light to see, this decreases the effective range of vision for them by the same percentage. For each 25% decrease in light, anyone whitin the area gains a +1 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.

Dark Healing: the Shade gains Fast Healing equal to half his HD.

Shadow Magic: The Shade can use the following SLAs a certain number of times per day depending on his HD.

HD RequiredShade Magic RequiredSpellUses per day
6LesserInvisibility1/HD
7LesserMirror Image1/2HD
9IntermediateTeleport(to shadowy areas only)1/5 HD
12IntermediateShadow Walk1/6HD
13IntermidiateGreater Teleport (to shadowy areas only)1/7 HD
14GreaterShadow Conjuration, Greater1/8HD
18GreaterShades1/9HD
If he multiclasses for an arcane/divine class he can count his Shade levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Shade 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. He wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however. He would get the familiar ability, but Shade levels wouldn't count for it

Dark Blow:At 2nd level the Shade adds his Cha mod as a competence bonus on damage rolls.

Shadow Stride: At 2nd level as a move action, the Shade can vanish and reappear in any shadowy position whitin 20 feet per HD. Once this is ability is used, the Shade must way 2 rounds before being able to use it again.

Black Blessing: At 2nd level the Shade gains SR equal to 11+HD. He may lower or rise it as a free action at any time even if it isn't his turn. If he already had SR, increase it by 4.

HandFang: At 3rd level a number of times per day equal to his Cha mod, as a standard action, the Shade may create a fanged, biting mouth on the palm of his hand that lasts for 1 round/HD. It can be used to deliver a melee touch attack dealing 1d6 points of damage per 4 HD and allowing a reflex save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod for half damage. If the oponent fails the save, the Shade may start a grapple as a free action whitout provoking attacks of oportunity and that ignores Freedom of Movement effects. The Shade may use his Cha instead of Str if he wishes in this grapple. If the Shade establishes a hold, the HandFang detaches from his hand and keeps grappling the oponent (using the Shade's stats), dealing 1d6 damage per 4 HD every round untill the duration ends or the oponent breaks free.

In addition, the fanged mouth also delivers venom to a grappled foe when the Shade achieves the hold, dealing 1d6 Con damage, Fort DC 10´1/2 HD+Cha mod negates. Even oponents normally immune to this will be affected, but they gain a +5 bonus on their save.

HandFang may also be used with a weapon, in wich case it deals the extra damage and tries to start the grapple with a sucessfull hit. In the case of a ranged/thrown weapon, the effect ends if the attack misses.

Shadow Canopy: At 3rd level 1/day the Shade may create  a field of shadow filling a diamater of 100 feet plus 50 feet per HD, and an equal height. It must be centered in a point of space, an object or a creature. Unwilling targets and their worn equipment get a Will saving throw with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod to resist this. The outer surface of the fields is impenetrable to normal vision and dark vision, granting total concealment to creatures and objects whitin the spell's area. This includes even special darkvision abilities like those of a devil.

The interior of the field casts a deep shadow on everything whitin it. Light, including sunlight cannot penetrate the field. Creatures that would normally be adversely affected by sunlight are able to fuction normally whitin the field, including the shade himself. This ability may be activated even if the Shade is currently affected by light. It lasts 1 hour/HD.

Light spells of a level equal to or less than 1/2 your HD cannot be cast inside the Shadow Canopy, and any such effects that were inside the field or enter it later are automatically supressed. A light spell of a level higher than 1/2 your HD can counter or dispel Shadow Canopy however.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:27:45 AM by oslecamo »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Shade
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
You have some references to Half-Fiend in there.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
What are you, the inquisiton?

Fine, fine, half-fiends purged out from this class. :p

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
What are you, the inquisiton?

Fine, fine, half-fiends purged out from this class. :p

I figured if I see something like that I might as well point it out.  :)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
If you've already got SR, does this one overwrite it, or provide a bonus like most of the IMC PRC's?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Good catch, added a clause to improve if you already have SR.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
Good catch, added a clause to improve if you already have SR.
In addition, at what point does Control Light reduce full light to dim / darkness?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »
Darkness would of course be 100% reduction.

Otherwise, the distance people can see is reduced by an equal amount. Low-light vision can see twice as far. As far as I can remember, there's actually no "dim light" rules in D&D.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Darkness would of course be 100% reduction.

Otherwise, the distance people can see is reduced by an equal amount. Low-light vision can see twice as far. As far as I can remember, there's actually no "dim light" rules in D&D.
er, sorry. At what point does the Shade's Light Unpowering cease to be a problem? Because even a 10% would cease to be full daylight, but the feature says "well-illuminated" area.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
That's a moot question, because you can't use Control Light at all if you're in a well-illuminated area. :p

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
That's a moot question, because you can't use Control Light at all if you're in a well-illuminated area. :p
Use it in the shadows, then step out into the now-expanded shadows!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »
Light Unpowering says:

"none of the below Shade abilities apply in a well illuminated area"

So even if you're in the shadows, you cannot affect a nearby well illuminated area.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
Light Unpowering says:

"none of the below Shade abilities apply in a well illuminated area"

So even if you're in the shadows, you cannot affect a nearby well illuminated area.
Aw. Okay.

Offline valarmorgulis

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »
Is the handfang really supposed to do 1d6/HD once a grapple is started? Or 1d6/4 HD?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
Good catch, fixed.

Offline VindAlowd

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
Just noticed your fort save is messed up.

VA

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 05:28:23 AM »
Fixed, thank you!