Author Topic: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict  (Read 21234 times)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D] Interest check - Karthun, the Lands of Conflict
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
It's as good of an excuse to try 5E as any, so that's fine. I really need to play a game on these boards again since my current GMs have all gone AWOL... Anything I should read besides the PHB?

Setting info is always nice. I don't write background novels, but knowing how/where you fit into the world tends to improve the experience.
Hmm.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
SorO: I'll take a more extensive look when I get home, but there are definitely some good ideas in there. I'll also post the ideas I had, and we could brainstorm.
Awesome, the spell area is pretty lacking since it's a little harder to ensure par on.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »
I've got an Artifice spell list, complete with some construct-specific spells added in, from my brother's character, so I'll include that as well. His character ended up using the cleric-frame version that Keith Baker used for a charity game he played in a while ago, which meant full spellcasting. The class I homebrewed was originally a partial caster though.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
So how are the hippie Sunwalker Dwarves, statwise?
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
The main difference is fluff. I could differentiate them further with some altered stats, but overall they're very similar, stat-wise. They're still related to the Underlords, the difference is mainly their chosen home in Thulengard, aboveground, and the fact that whereas the Underlords tend to be covered in scars, shave their heads bald, and grow long, unkempt beards (matted with dirt and blood, typically),  the Sunwalker dwarves do everything they can to differentiate themselves. Though they may have some scars from a prior life in slavery, they grow their hair long, shave their beards clean, and often bake their skin tan, reveling in the sunlight that their pale, brutal brethren deny themselves.

This comic gives a brief synopsis (and introduces the fact that Halflings are, unfortunately, extinct; gnomes are one of the smaller races that would take their place, though other small races wouldn't be unheard of. Anyone hoping for a small sized character, we can find an appropriate race (or, perhaps, you're one of very few halflings who escaped the wrath of the Underlords, a rarity in your own right).
As for the world/region info, I will definitely get more up soon, once I have my pdf handy and I'm not posting from my phone. :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:05:13 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »
There wouldn't happen to be an online srd type thing for 5e would there?

If I can just make it through character creation, I feel like I could just wing it without reading too much.
I just don't like flipping through pdfs for casual reading, it's annoying, haha... -_-'

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »
The very most basic version of the game is available here. It only contains info the most core aspects of the game. Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings for races, and Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, and Cleric for classes (and only one archetype/class path per class). When they launched, certain websites were also granted previews of some of the other classes, but not extensively. It also doesn't include important things like Feats (which in 5E are treated as an optional rule for those looking for a somewhat more old-school or stripped-down flavor).

For those who do not have access to the book and who don't want the stripped down 'core' options from the official free site, I can get you the information needed for anything else. Though if you're not interested in flipping through a long PDF, I can also forward on specific info. If there's a character class, race, etc. you're interested in, I'll share just the relevant info.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:39:26 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
In 24 hours I might just not care that I don't care to read how to play 5e and grab a pdf of the PHB...

I'd say I'm 70% in on this. Close enough. Lets see how this goes.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
I've begun transcribing a summary of the regions but there's a ton of info on each nation to sift through, and a whole slew of regions in general; my efforts to edit it down into a manageable read are not terribly successful,from a brevity standpoint.

I'm going to try and skip all the stuff I've been including about places of interest (specific cities, forests, etc.) and try to limit it to a couple sentences summing everything up for each region. More information will be available by request, and the whole setting document can be read here for those who just want to dive in and find the juicy bits.

If you don't want to read through a huge document, I copied the synopsis of the nations in its own thread.

Andern, Daynir, Ilrenar, Landrin, Sylnn, and Xyn are probably the best regions for general backgrounds as they all contain large cities and major mercantile hubs. Andern is home to the Iron King, and is a likely place for the campaign to open. Daynir is the most versatile region being home to several large forests, a huge city (Xag, the City of Monoliths), and several merchant cities/villages. Same goes for the island nation of Ilrenar. Landrin is a militocracy, but one of the most "noble" of nations and a good home to a stereotypical paladin/knight (honor this, valor that. That sort of thing). Sylnn is a nation known as the Kingdom of Five Thieves, and leadership is highly contested. It's best for someone whose morality is colored in shades of grey, though several regions are ruled by 'monster races' such as lizardfolk or Hags. Xyn is a nation devoted to Prathian the Sage, and is broken up into nine islands (each a major hub for a specific trade or craft), and is home to one of the biggest, most advanced Universities in the continent. If you're big on magic and/or technology, chances are you hail from Xyn.

Symul is a primary home to the Bear, Wolf, and Jackal clans of the Elves. Thulengard is home to the Sunwalker dwarves, and also where they launch their campaigns against the Underlords.

Mages can be found all across Karthun, but Xyn Daynir hold some of the most noteworthy libraries. Istin is home to Prathian the Sage's patron race, the Elemental Lords, and thus is another major arcane hub. Thulengard has plenty of dwarven mages pioneering new technologies.

As for monstrous races, they can be found all over as well, though mostly in the nations of Kraghorn (mostly Orcs, goblinoids, and giantkin), Sylnn (Lizardfolk), and Erast (Undead and other abominations).

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 02:07:37 AM »
I'm up for this

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 02:30:19 AM »
Gods:

Deknar, the Smith
Domains:  Battle, Cities, Creation, and Strength
Patron race: Dwarves
Priests: Forgehands / Disciples of the Chain
Symbol: Hammer wrapped in a chain
Focus: A hammer (what else?)

Forged the Chain which binds and holds back the Worldfire from consuming Karthun. His constant attention is paid toward maintaining the Chain's integrity.

Elinar, the Lady of Song and Beauty
Domains: Beauty, Art, Music, Seasons
Patron race: Illyn (sort of like planetouched, a cross between Aasimar and Genasi; rather than elements, each Illyn is tied to a season, with the exception of the Diminished)
Priests: Speakers of Harmony / Servant of Season (Ex: Servant of Winter)
Symbol: A symbol of four ornamental leaves marking the seasons
Focus: A petrified leaf taken from a tree in the season the priest begins her career (this also determines her season title)

She and her Speakers of Harmony are dedicated to spreading art, music, and beauty to every nation of the Last Continent.

Felicos, The King of Rogues, Father Venom, The Betrayer
Domains: Assassination, Thievery, Cunning, Deception, Chaos
Patron Race: Lizardfolk
Head of Faith: Currently no fewer than 12 individuals across Karthun believe they are the First Dagger
Priests: The Daggers / The Favored Coins
Symbol: Three overlapping daggers
Focus: A dagger with a green leather handle (Daggers) / A tarot deck or gold coin (Favored Coins)

His murder of Sehad in a fit of jealousy drove Valkyre insane with grief, spurring her to become the Mother of the Dead. He revels in chaos and deceit, which explains why he delights in the shadow wars fought among his servants in the Daggers who seek to become First Dagger.

Prathian, The Eternal Sage
Domains: Magic, Time, Elementals, Law
Patron Race: The Elemental Lords
Priests: Archivist / Sentinel of the Book
Symbol: A seven-pointed star

He sure does love him some fancy book-learnin'.

The Mother of the Dead
Domains: Death, Undead, Darkness, Prophecy
Patron Race: Undead
Priests: Son/Daughter of the Dead
Symbol: A broken circle
Focus: A reliquary with the ashes or crushed bones of a loved one

Formerly Valkyre, patron goddess of honor, courage, and valor. The act of her lover's death took an unbearable toll on Valkyre, who abandoned valor as she slew her eldest paladins and took on the title Mother of the Dead. Moments later, her son was born, and the chaotic forces surrounding the even killed hundreds, brought storms over Landrin that blocked out the sun, caused the Worldfire to recede, and ripped the fabric of Karthun’s reality. The former plane of life, Kraya, was pushed away from Karthun and was now a lifeless plane which would come to be called The Shadow. The cold, bleak space between Karthun and the Shadow was claimed by The Mother as the new seat of her power, referred to as The Dead, and the final resting place of Karthun's deceased.

In most cases, the Mother and her worshipers are not evil and do not practice necromancy. In fact, the Mother despises necromancy and wild undead; In the Mother’s eyes, everything dies, and to cheat death for too long is to draw her ire. The Mother is wildly hypocritical in many ways, as she commands an undead army to wage her own war against necromancers and the restless undead created during the Age of Mourning.

Sehad, the World Warden (deceased)
Domains: Life, Earth, Nature, Law, Death
Patron Race: Humans
Priests: Wardens
Symbol: A green circle with an ornamental tree in the center
Focus: A copper disc with green circle draw on it

The death of Sehad the World Warden left scars on the hearts of humanity and Karthun. In the years following his death, many of the Wardens, now powerless and fueled by grief, fell under the blades of the Daggers of Felicos in an ill-fated campaign for vengeance against The Betrayer. Others turned to Elinar for guidance and were welcomed into her following with open arms, while a few remained devoted to the word of Sehad, passing his word from one generation to the next (a tradition still practiced in the Andorhem Forest). The last of the true World Wardens of the Old Ways, Maladros the Bear Lord, continues leading the remaining Wardens and inhabitants of Andorhem Forest, though he has become insular and untrusting of humanity following Sehad's death.

And finally, there are many who still follow the old teachings of Valkyre, before she transformed into the Mother of the Dead. Taking up the oath of a paladin is dangerous under normal circumstances, but in Karthun it is two-fold. Oaths of valor were once the domain of Valkyre the Knight of Karthun, now risen as The Mother of the Dead. The Mother is cold and especially spiteful towards any who choose to carry on her teachings of honor and valor. Death is a frightening concept in itself, but The Mother reserves special torments for any paladins who cross over into The Dead. This does not dissuade some, who still operate under the faith of the other Gods, or those brave (or foolish) enough to continue Valkyre's crusade for honor.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 02:39:07 AM »
One more note: I'm not saying everyone needs to be familiar with all aspects of the campaign setting. Come up with a decent character concept, and I can help give you some extra fluff for all this. I'm merely providing it in case anyone wishes to go more in-depth for character background purposes.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »
I think a Bear Clan Paladin of the Ancients would be a cool character.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
I'm still interested, going to start digging through that pdf.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »
So as far as character creation goes, I'm thinking level 5 is the best starting place. 30 point buy or 27 point buy and roll 1d6 for a chance at higher, though also a chance at lower. Choosing to roll means living with the result, good or bad. 30 of course would be the average result (rounding down) so it's the more likely option to take. (Please state whether you're gonna roll first, this is on the honor system) I'm a sucker for giving players an extra option for stat generation.

As for races, just about anything but halflings is on the table (and then, if you have a good justification for halfling, I'll consider it). Some races may be treated with suspicion or outright fear or hostility. Of course, that may happen depending on the circumstances anyway.

As for gear, definitely plan on standard starting gear. I'm trying to determine the best amount of extra gear, but I'll have that up later.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
I think a Bear Clan Paladin of the Ancients would be a cool character.

Yes! I won't be alone :D

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
So, on gear, I think 1 uncommon and 2 common (such as a potion of healing) is a good starting place. If you have a very good reason for your character, you can substitute one rare item for the two uncommon items, but it's got to have a good justification. Items will come in this campaign, but they won't be strictly necessary in order to succeed.

Besides the magic items and starting equipment, you'll each have 650 gp as well to spend on additional equipment. This can be used to purchase up to 2 more uncommon items if you choose, though certain items will cost more within that range than others.

Also, I'm going to houserule that the Cloak of Displacement is a Very Rare item rather than Rare. A lesser version (Lesser Cloak of Displacement), that only functions until the wearer is hit and must recharge on a short rest, could be available as a Rare item. I'm willing to hear arguments against this houserule, but I've seen the item in play and it's definitely more powerful than a lot of other items of the same rarity.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
30 point buy or 27 point buy and roll 1d6 for a chance at higher, though also a chance at lower.
It gives everyone 14/14/14/14/10/8 and really, -/+ 3 more points only changes a bonus in a single ability score by -/+ 1.

Unless of course, we're allowed to PB up to 18?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 09:56:51 PM »
I believe you're able to buy up to a 15 by the phb point buy rules. If that'works not enough (it's designed to be in this edition) you can buy up to an 18 based on the point buy costs at http://1d8.blogspot.com/2014/04/point-buy-calculator-for-d-next-5e.html?m=1 which I believe matches the costs for the core material. You still can't exceed 20 in any stat without magic items.

In checking the point buy, 30 pb gets you 15 14 14 13 10 8 or other combos. An extra 3 could turn a 14 onto a 15, or a 13 into a 14, basically just gets you a small but significant boost.

Also, don't discount the racial ability score bonuses or ability score improvements from leveling up (sometimes just as useful as choosing one of the feats).

I could always just cap it at 30 without the option to get a boost, or I could have gone with the core published limit of 27 even. I chose to offer a small chance at a higher point buy total, in place of rolling 4d6 drop the lowest. I don't really want one PC with all 16s and 18s and another struggling to get above 13.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:00:46 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »
Races of Karthun

In the northern mountains of Thulengard, the Sunwalker dwarves- freed refugees from their tyrannical cousins the Underlords, bask in the
sunlight while studying the arcane arts. To the southern shores of Ilrenar, the Illyn serve as peacekeepers and caretakers to the beauty
and music of Karthun. Cavorting through the forest realm of Symul, the elves draw power from Karthun’s three moons while locked
in a bloody civil war that has raged for generations. Lizardfolk clans in the southern kingdom of Sylnn wage shadow wars to gain
power and favor from their patron god, while scattered across the Last Continent, the gnomes of 'The Lost' wander, searching for a new
home and purpose.

Dwarves
Underlord dwarves carry dense, muscular builds while the majority of Sunwalker dwarves carry less weight and rely more heavily
on dexterity. In appearance, dwarves of the Underlord realm are pale, heavily scarred by decades of battle or the lash, and bald (either
by choice or by force at the hand of their slaver masters). Underlord beards are long and unkempt, often stained with blood earned in
combat and adorned with trophies from past victories.

The liberated dwarves of Thulengard are a direct opposite. Sunwalkers revel in daylight giving them healthy skin tones and lighter
hair. Sunwalkers grow their hair long and adorn it with intricate braids or accents. To further separate themselves from the Underlords,
all Sunwalker men shave their beards. While many Sunwalkers carry the scars from former lives under the Underlord’s lash, many
make efforts to tastefully cover the worst of their scars but allow some to remain in view, as reminders of their former lives, a life that
could return if the Underlords prevail in their war with the surface races of Karthun.

Sunwalker Dwarf
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity and Intelligence scores each increase by 1.
Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Underlord Dwarf
As Mountain Dwarf

Elves
Elves of the three clans vary in appearance, based on their alignment with each of Karthun’s three moons (Ogwan, Sheluun, and Timus).
During the full phase of their patron moons (known as a moon reign), elves strength, speed, and other characteristics heighten, as well
as augment their appearance. The need for hunting and warlike emotions escalate during moon reigns with varying strength across the
three clans. For the Wolf Clan, the hunts of the moon reign are ceremonial times used for cleansing of their lands and rites of passage.
For the Bear Clan, their increase in strength during moon reigns is a time for contests and battle among their champions. Among the
Jackal Clan, moon reigns are a time for savage debauchery filled with ritual sacrifice and brutal assaults on outlying Wolf and Bear Clan
settlements.

Wolf Clan Elf
  The elves of the wolf clan are lean, strong, and swift. Male elves of the wolf clan do not grow facial hair but all Wolves
favor long hair, typically braided with threads of colors representing their houses. Wolf clan hair color ranges from dark brown to
grey/silver. During their moon reign, Wolf Clan elves increase slightly in size, their skin tone shifting color towards pale grey-blue
tones, their teeth sharpen, their senses heighten and their eyes take on a pale blue glow.

Traits are as Wood Elf, with the following addition:

Moon Reign: During the full phase of your patron moon, you can make a bite attack as an action dealing 1d6 piercing damage, and you gain
advantage on Wisdom (perception) checks. A creature hit by your bite attack must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency
bonus + your Dexterity modifier) or be knocked prone.

Bear Clan Elf
  The elves of the Bear clan are naturally larger than elves of the Wolf and Jackal Clans. Bear Clan elves wear their hair (which
ranges from deep red to dark brown) long and unkempt. The men of the Bear Clan typically wear long, unadorned facial hair. During
their moon reign, Bear Clan elves increase in strength, size, and weight, they become more resistant to physical damage, their coloring
shifts towards red tones, and their eyes take on an orange glow.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score improves by 1.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Bear Clan Weapon Training. You gain proficiency in one martial melee weapon of your choice. The weapon selected must have either
the Heavy or Versatile property.
Moon Reign: During the full phase of your patron moon, you grow to large size as though affected by the Enlarge effect of the Enlarge/Reduce
spell.
Furthermore, you can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your
Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short
or long rest.

A Bear clan elf's Powerful Build trait is nonfunctional while under the effects of his Moon Reign.

Jackal Clan Elf
  The elves of the Jackal clan are the smallest physically of the three elven clans with thin, almost sickly builds and sunken features. Most Jackal
Clan elves appear underfed and nervous with an uneasy demeanor that is sometimes off-putting. Jackal Clan hair color ranges from dirty blonde to
brown and varies in length and styles. During their moon reign, elves of the Jackal Clan develop a hunched posture, gnarled teeth, claws, increased
speed and their eyes glow with a sickening, yellow glow.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score improves by 1.
Nuisance. You gain proficiency in either the Deception skill or the Intimidation skill.
Vicious Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, the target must save on a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your
proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier) or take the bonus critical damage again at the beginning of your next turn.
Jackal Clan Weapon Training. You have training with the scimitar, flail, and hand crossbow.
Moon Reign: During the full phase of your patron moon, you gain a bite attack and a claw attack as melee weapon attacks with the light and
finesse properties. As an action, you can attack once with both your bite and claw attacks, dealing 1d4 piercing damage each. Creatures who are hit
by both attacks take an additional 1d6 poison damage.  In addition, your speed increases to 35 feet.

Illyn
As the children of Elinar, the Illyn are a race tied to the seasons of Karthun. From the renewal of spring, the
warmth of summer, the passing of life in fall, and the cold end of winter courses through the Illyn’s veins. For this reason, Illyn are
referred to as the season for which they are born: Child of Winter, Child of Spring, Child of Summer, and Child of Fall. Illyn on
average are the same height and build as humans with deep set eyes of colors matching their given season. All Illyn bodies are covered
in ornate birthmarks along their arms, legs, torso, and neck. These birthmarks appear as swirling patterns akin to ribbons in the wind.

As varied as each season, each type of Illyn possesses their own sets of hair color and birthmark characteristics, as described below:
Spring: Children of Spring typically have red hair and pale green birthmarks, to signify growth and life.
Summer: Children of Summer typically have blonde hair and gold birthmarks in reverence of the sun.
Fall: Children of Fall typically have brown hair and auburn birthmarks to signify the changing of seasons.
Winter: Children of Winter typically have dark hair and blue-grey birthmarks to mark the arrival of winter.

Traits: Substitute in Elf, Half-Elf, Human, or Aasimar traits if you wish. If playing a Diminished, let me know and we can work out some racial traits.

Other Races

Let me know if you want to play some other race than the ones listed above or those listed in the Player's Handbook, and we can work out the logistics.