Author Topic: Intrupting Spell Casting  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Intrupting Spell Casting
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
In 5e, outside of counterspell, can you interrupt a spell being cast that is not a concentration spell?

My group has a problem with a hulking barbarian being right next to spell caster and not being able to interrupt the caster like you could in previous editions even with a ready action. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:27:18 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Intrupting Spell Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
The Mage Slayer feat in the PHB allows you to use your Reaction to whack any active spellcaster within melee range. It does not, however, disrupt the spellcasting attempt itself.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
Ready + Reaction + damage# = kills the conc side of the spell, I don't think it stops the spell altogether.
... a build that focuses on triggering exactly this, isn't necessarily bad at all the rest of combat = might be interesting.

Moving within 5' range (+probably Reaction +maybe a ready too) = forces disadvantage on most spell attack rolls, smaller subset than conc spells, but lots of cantrips. 
... weird build, to just chase the spellcaster, while archer-ing the rest of the encounter dead, then  finish the spellcaster.  No one's done this, but it would work.  Could be a grappler that doesn't bother with the grappled.

giantitp had an extended thread quite recently, but I haven't read the whole thing yet. (and who has the time really?)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583570-What-ways-are-there-to-disrupt-spellcasting-in-5e

I'd love to see a mini-guide or summary on this exact topic.

:)

edit --- Misterwhisper starts a list of spells that get by Mage Slayer (not vetted).
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23789395&postcount=245
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:28:20 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Follow Up game-Theory Question: Do you think it is desirable/balanced/sensible that spellcasting is largely safe from being interrupted? I personally don't have a problem with it but my table is crazy worked up about it, thinking it is a radical break from D&D tradition and a sense of verisimilitude.

Note: For some reason the two biggest things that my 5e table (I'm not the DM) disliked about 5e is facing/flanking and opportunity attacks/interrupting spellcasting. Everyone but me is really bothered by these rules. We've largely solved the flanking situation with the optional rules in the DMG but the opportunity attacks/interrupting spellcasting still have them upset.     

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Spells not being effectively interruptable in 5e is fine in my experience. SoS/SoD spells have been heavily nerfed thanks to the best-of-three saves pattern, granting at least 1 round to do something against them, while the bottleneck for buffs is generally concentration (which is already interrruptable).

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 03:50:25 PM »
best-of-three saves pattern, granting at least 1 round to do something against them
Please explain this to me.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
best-of-three saves pattern, granting at least 1 round to do something against them
Please explain this to me.
Look for example at the 5e version of Flesh to Stone: https://www.5esrd.com/spellcasting/all-spells/f/flesh-to-stone/
A creature restrained by this spell must make another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves against this spell three times, the spell ends. If it fails its saves three times, it is turned to stone and subjected to the petrified condition for the duration. The successes and failures don’t need to be consecutive; keep track of both until the target collects three of a kind.
Almost all SoD spells follow the same model, you will have to roll multiple checks over several rounds to succumb to them, so there is time to counter them.