Author Topic: Caryatid Column  (Read 6386 times)

Offline ~Corvus~

• My Greed has spread here too =D
    • View Profile
Caryatid Column
« on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »
    Autonomous Caryatid Column
    (click to show/hide)
    (click to show/hide)
    (click to show/hide)

Table: (Autonomous) Caryatid Column
    LevelBaBFortReflWill
    Special
    Ability Score
    Adjustment
    Maneuvers
    1st+1+2+0+0Marble Body, Column Form, Bonded Weapon, Stony Initiate (maneuvers)+1 Str +1 DexLesser Spirit Floes, Vigilant Watcher (Stance)
    2nd+2+3+0+0Mens Sana, Earth Glide+1 PhysStony Sacrifice
    3rd+3+3+1+1 Crystal Touch HD/day+1 Str +1 DexMarble Deflection, Flowstone Stride
    4th+4+4+1+1Earth Mettle, Crystal Reformation+1 PhysGranite Splinter
    5th+5+4+1+1Chiseled Body, Opal Surge 1/day/2HD+1 Str +1 DexStrike to Earth, Spirit Floes
    6th+6+5+2+2Damage Reduction, Combat Reflexes+1 PhysOne with the Earth (Stance)
    7th+7+5+2+2Earth Stride 4/day, Opalescence+1 Str +1 DexCloud of Loam
    8th+8+6+2+2Shards of Granite, Stony Initiate (Progression), Superiority of Earth+1 PhysSeismic Push
    Hit Die: 1d10
    Class Skills (4+Int per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Spot, Martial Lore, Perform (Dance), Sense Motive, Tumble.
    PF Class Skills (4+Int per level): Acrobatics, Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (Martial), Perform (Dance), Perception, Sense Motive

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: All simple weapons + 1 Bonded Weapon, all metal armor. No shields.

Living Marble:
    • The Caryatid Column's racial levels must be taken from 1st-level to 8th-level. It does not gain other class levels until then; in Gestalt, then, it thus must progress this racial class from 1-8 on one side.
    • The Caryatid Column loses all racial traits and features and gains the construct type with the Marble Humanoid Subtype. These include the following traits:
    • It has a base Medium Size
    • It begins with two 1d4 Slam attacks. These attacks may be used with elbow, knee, foot, etc, even if its hands are occupied (such as by a weapon), but if made in conjunction with a weapon, they are considered Secondary attacks.
    • Sturdy: The Caryatid gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, etc).
    • It has a base land speed of 25 ft; this does not decrease with a heavy load or heavy armor.
    • Low-light vision and Darkvision out to 90 feet
    • d10 hit die.
    • It starts with Natural Armor equal to 3+its racial Hit Dice.
    • Unlike standard constructs, it has a combative, responsive and tough body and thus has good Base Attack Bonus and good fortitude saving throw.
    • A Caryatid Column has a Marble Humanoid subtype (Essentially the same as Warforged).
    (click to show/hide)

Ability Score Adjustment: The Caryatid Column gets +1 Str and +1 Dexterity at each odd level, then +1 to a single Physical score (Str, Con, or Dex) at each even level of this class; this secondary choice remains fixed.
    At 8th level it has +4 Str, +4 Dex and another +4 to either Str, Dex or Con.

Column Form (Ex): When at rest, a caryatid column may take the form of a simple column of stone. This column is about 1.5 feet in diameter and it extends up to the ceiling of the chamber or to a height of 25 feet, whichever is less. A caryatid column in column form looks like a pillar in most respects. It does not radiate magic, and true seeing does not reveal its humanoid form. Changing forms is a free action once per round. The Caryatid remains perfectly aware of its surroundings while in Column Form, and it is not considered flat-footed.
    (click to show/hide)

Bonded Weapon: The Caryatid Column may train with a weapon for 1 hour to Bond with it. This done, it gains proficiency with the weapon, and it may retrain any weapon-specific feats to this item, like a Warblade's Weapon Aptitude. Finally, this Bonded Item also gains the properties and bonuses listed below.
    • At first level, it becomes a Masterwork weapon.
    • At level 3, it gains a +1 magical enhancement; this improves by +1 per 4 levels.
    • At level 5, this weapon becomes Adamantine.
    • At level 6, it gains a single +1 enchantment of the player's choice. At level 9 this improves to a +2 bonus, and improves by +1 total every 3 levels beyond that (12, 15, etc). These weapon enchantments may be changed and/or swapped at the end of a Long Rest or 1 hours' meditation. The weapon cannot carry higher than a +5 total enchantment level until 21st level.
    • The Bonded Weapon is always considered a Martial Discipline weapon for the sake of feats, maneuvers, and relevant class abilities.
    • If a caryatid column needs both hands free, it can stow this weapon by simply pressing it against it's back or side: the weapon then merges with the caryatid column's body and can be retrieved by the caryatid column as any character would draw a weapon.
    (click to show/hide)

Stony Initiate (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, the Caryatid Column becomes an initiator with their own set list. These maneuvers are considered readied until expended; when the Caryatid initiates a maneuver from this list, it expends that maneuver for 2 rounds, after which it is ready again.
    (NB: I have given an alternate Tome of Battle and Path of War list under the ACF spoiler.)

Finally, the Caryatid Column, as a creature of stone, does not need to touch the ground to use Stone Dragon maneuvers; after all, it is its own natural source of stone.
    (click to show/hide)

Mens Sana (Ex): In corpore sanam. At 2nd level, the Caryatid Column adds the better or its Str or Dex modifier to its Will saves. This ability does not stack with a Paladin's Divine Grace ability or other like abilities.

Earth Glide (Ex): At 2nd level, it gains the ability to move through sand, stone and earth at 20' per round with perfect maneuverability, and thus also takes no falling damage from landing on sand, earth and stone. When moving through earth and stone, it can see through these substances if more than half its body is submerged or if its head is submerged, and at half its standard Darkvision range. After spending a number of rounds equal to your character level + your Str modifier in the medium you must exit the medium, or be shunted to the nearest open space.

Crystal Touch (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, if a creature would be hit by one of the Caryatid's attacks, the Caryatid may choose to activate this ability. The touched creature must make a Reflex save against a DC of 10 + the damage that would be dealt (the opponent does not actually take damage). If the creature fails its save, it must halt its movement (if any) immediately and it loses its ability to move until the end of its next turn.
    The Caryatid Column may use this ability once per day per Hit Die it has, and may only apply this effect once per attack. This ability may be applied to almost any attack made, including an AoO or an attack made as part of a maneuver, and is used to replace all of the damage from that action.
    NB: Crystal Touch counts as a Combat Maneuver
    At 11th level, the Caryatid may expend a single use of Crystal Touch to apply this effect to each attack made with a Full Attack action or a maneuver that allows multiple attacks.

Earth Mettle (Ex):Beginning at 4th level, if the Caryatid Column makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell or power's effect, she suffers no effect from the spell/power at all. Only those spells/powers with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar lines can be negated through this ability.

Crystal Reformation (Ex): At 4th level, the Caryatid Column gains the Fast Healing ability when in Column Form, equal to the better of its Str or Dex modifier per hour. At the end of 8 hours spent in Column form, the Caryatid Column may also expend all of its remaining Opal Surges (see below) to regain additional HP before its abilities refresh for the day.
    At 13 HD (RHD + class HD), the Caryatid Column can reform lost limbs when in Column Form. It does not, however, benefit from a true Regeneration property, and this property cannot be used to replicate itself: detached parts become inert Marble that then disintegrate to ultra-fine powder once the limb has fully reformed.

Chiseled Body (Ex): At 5th level, the Caryatid Column gains the following benefits:
    • Its natural slam attacks may all be enchanted as Masterwork items per slot.
    • Its body may carry armor enchantments; it functions as a Masterwork set of armor.
    • The Bonded Weapon may also carry Weapon Crystals at an additional 110 GP per crystal, as the nature of the weapon requires a superior-grade crystal.

Opal Surge (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, your enduring spirit and powerful form allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. As a move-equivalent action, choose one of the following effects: You immediately regain HP equal to your Str modifier multiplied by your total Hit Dice; or end one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 round or more rounds. You may use this effect even if you cannot currently perform a move action (such as if you are immobilized, dazed, etc), but it takes the time of a move action.
    This ability cannot free the Caryatid from effects that can only be broken by Limited Wish, Miracle, or other like spells such as Geas/Quest
    You may use this ability 1/day per 2 HD the Caryatid has.

Damage Reduction: At 6th level, the Caryatid Column gains gains DR 2/- and 6 Resist to Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire. It gains +1 DR and +3 resist to these elements at levels 7 and 8, to a maximum of DR 4/- and resist 12 (a/c/e/f) at level 8.[/spoiler]

Feats: The Caryatid Column receives bonus feats with its progression. At 6th level, it gains Combat Reflexes, and at 8th level it is granted the Shards of Granite tactical feat (see below). If it already has these feats when it would acquire them, it gains the player's choice of a feat it qualifies for instead.

(click to show/hide)

Earth Stride (Su): Beginning at 7th level, the Caryatid Column may, as a move action, meld into any stone or earth and emerge through another source of stone or earth up to a distance of 100ft +10ft/HD away. This ability may be used up 4 times per day. This is a supernatural effect but not a teleportation effect: it may thus be used if the Caryatid is under the influence of a Dimensional Anchor, but not under an Antimagic Shell or if trapped within a Forcecage.
    At 12th level, it gains 8 uses/day and may expend 2 daily uses of this ability to use it as a swift action.
    At 20th level, she may use this ability once/round as Free Action and gains unlimited uses/day.

Opalescence (Ex): At 7th level, the Caryatid Column becomes something beyond a mere magical marble statue: it becomes one of true grace and wonder.
    It gains a +10 perfection bonus to all Balance checks, a +10 to all Perform (Dance) checks, and may use Dexterity as its skill modifier instead of Charisma for the latter skill. For pathfinder, this would mean a +10 to Acrobatics checks related to balance.
    These skill bonuses increase to a +20 at level 12, and a +30 bonus at level 20.

Stony Initiate (Progression) (Ex): At the end of its racial progression, the Caryatid Column's 8 racial levels count as an effective 8 initiator levels when learning or initiating maneuvers and stances for 1 standard Martial class (Non-PrC class).

Superiority of Earth (Ex): At level 8, the Caryatid Column does not take falling damage.
    At level 17, the Caryatid Column halves damage from all wood, crystal and metal, including special ones such as Greensteel, and also halves any acid damage it would take. Spells, powers and effects that include these types or substances as damaging vectors are subject to this incredible resistance.

(click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 04:39:52 AM by ~Corvus~ »
    Quote from: HuskyBoi
    I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Greedling avatar by Ceika from Giantitp.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
      • View Profile
      • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
    Re: PEACH - Caryatid Column
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
    You know, you spend a lot of text in comments, but seem to have skipped some of the class's basics.

Like having an HD for the class. Or saying what hardness you gain (it's mentioned on the 3rd level of the table but never in the abilities). 

Also you mention/imply that the Caryatid cannot use armor in the comments, but why not exactly? It can have clearly humanoid shape, and there's barding rules for more exotic creatures. You may want to define body slots if you don't want them to be standard issue for an humanoid.

You also complain about lack of progression, but your Caryatid is fully stacking IL with martial classes which is already half the troubles solved. Then construct immunities will make you immune to most nasty high-level effects. And even if the Caryatid can't use armor, there's nothing stopping her from grabbing some wondrous items to cover flight and other glaring weaknesses she may have.

Speaking of which, you may want to clarify the enhancements that go in her body are armor enhancements, which I suppose it was your intention.

You give it the highest Nat armor and HP of any of the construct classes around here because... I'm not very sure.

Jump as class skill, then +10 jump bonus out of nowhere, warblade stacking, Tiger Claw Caryatid murdermachine go!

Break weapon is an ability that I personally dislike because it's basically "HAHAHA SCREW YOU MELEE DUDES" and then the party's wizard laughs and just blasts the caryatid to pieces from a safe distance after the barbarian broke his sword that cost half his WBL.

Heck, even when the Caryatid is a party member, it may end hurting its own side since it's basically destroying the party's loot. However it is indeed one of the key original abilities of the monster and I can't blame you too much for including it. Or I can. I guess I would change it to something like "weapons that hit the caryatid may be harmlessly sucked inside her body" or "weapons that hit the caryatid temporaly turn to super heavy stone and can't be used", then add some chance of also working against energy blasts and whatnot so that enemy blasters don't get to just point and laugh as they blast the caryatid to bits.

One of my personal  rules around here is that by the third level at the latest a class should have some plan against fast/flying enemies. Which the caryatid doesn't even by 6th level, which is still a bit too early to afford all-day flying items. Even if it means adding new abilities. But you don't even need that as you're including maneuvers base, so you could just add some mobility/range maneuvers.

But those problems aside, it's a nice job of yours, spreading around the abilities and seeking to include scaling while remaining faithful to the original monster.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:11:43 AM by oslecamo »

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    Re: PEACH - Caryatid Column
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
    1) Clarify the basics. How did I miss that?

2) Nat armor = Str seems good in light of pending changes. As a construct Its AC improves with Strength, it seems natural that someone is going to increase Strength and Any Strength-boosting spell or item also ups its AC, it's not going to need armor. But yeah, I definitely want to state that it can't wear armor. Something about its statuesque form not being admired strikes me as doing it wrong. I also don't want to make it too easy to trick-out the class to sillytown.

2) The Path of War maneuvers actually give it a +30-foot-move boost, which is nice, and a stance that gives targeted spells a 50% chance to miss. It also stands to reason to perhaps just...give it those options...

3) Perhaps I was...waiting for permission(?) to do this, but Break Weapon really does make me cringe inside, and I admit to being worried about casters with this monster. Here are the other ideas I've been tossing around not in the Analysis:

First is something like You get a 10% per racial level to deflect spells off your skin back at the caster, or at nearby enemies if they're an area-spell and you're caught in the blast.
    Second is give Break Spell, which offers Spell Resistance, but Str-mod times per day, if you resist a spell, you prevent the caster from casting that spell for Str-mod minutes. It makes a wizard cringe but won't cripple him.

Finally, the Caryatid doesn't strike me as the kind to fly, but it could be deadly against a flier. In light of the I'm concerned vs. Casters and It has no good solutions against fliers, an ability such as Teleport to someone who uses a spell/power/ranged attack could be used?
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:25:01 PM by ~Corvus~ »
    I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
      • View Profile
    Re: PEACH - WIP - Caryatid Column
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »
    I'm liking the update.

The custom maneuvers have a recharge mechanic but not the amount of recharged maneuvers. The 3.5/PF have the amount of readied maneuvers but no recharge mechanic.

You seem to have gone a bit overboard with your custom maneuvers. Vigilant watcher grants an effect that character normally wouldn't get until double digit levels, Cleave to Stone should at least allow a save, Strike to Earth would already be pretty powerful it "only" forced a save against being helpless without the +10 to hit. Similarly gliding through earth/stone/metal is very powerful by itself (not to mention even stronger than an actual Earth Elemental's glide), and the CC is already gaining plenty of other stuff at that level.

Holy molly, where is that 3rd Riven Hourglass stance from? I didn't manage to find it the PF srd at least, and it looks quite stronger than the other 3rd level PoW stances. The 50% flat chance to negate spells is already pretty powerful, but then +4 AC/Initiative. Probably still weaker than earth/stone/metal glide (they can't cast a spell on you at all if they can't draw line of effect!)

I quite like Break spell and Reflect Spell, just want to point out the second could use a clause to clarify it can be used outside your turn, as usually only immediate/readied actions can be used on another dude's turn.

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:44 AM »
    Will update soon, and thanks for this. So much progress!!

Recharge is Str bonus maneuvers (It's there). I could go with 1/2 Str, rounded up.

Vigilant Watcher is the *only* means of healing and only works per hour? Otherwise it's half-effective healing spells? Perhaps at 10 then 15 healing, but also 6 hp/hour doesn't seem too much, does it?

When I first designed them, Cleave to Stone and Strike to Earth had saves, but I am having trouble adding Fortitude DC 12+Str and 13+Str for some reason.

Would a flat 10' move be more reasonable for the Glide? The idea was to, at your suggestion, give the character some means of "teleportation or something similarly cool" but is it too good / better than teleport in terms of mobility?

The Riven Hourglass is a Mystic maneuver (second PoW Expanded class), and it seems pretty baller, but note that it does *nothing* against any area-spell not directly targeting the CC. That's a lot of spells still. I think it would make more sense at 20% miss chance vs. spells per concealment and then upped later, but...dem spells bro...

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
    I'm liking the update.

The custom maneuvers have a recharge mechanic but not the amount of recharged maneuvers. The 3.5/PF have the amount of readied maneuvers but no recharge mechanic.

You seem to have gone a bit overboard with your custom maneuvers. Vigilant watcher grants an effect that character normally wouldn't get until double digit levels, Cleave to Stone should at least allow a save, Strike to Earth would already be pretty powerful it "only" forced a save against being helpless without the +10 to hit. Similarly gliding through earth/stone/metal is very powerful by itself (not to mention even stronger than an actual Earth Elemental's glide), and the CC is already gaining plenty of other stuff at that level.

Holy molly, where is that 3rd Riven Hourglass stance from? I didn't manage to find it the PF srd at least, and it looks quite stronger than the other 3rd level PoW stances. The 50% flat chance to negate spells is already pretty powerful, but then +4 AC/Initiative. Probably still weaker than earth/stone/metal glide (they can't cast a spell on you at all if they can't draw line of effect!)

I quite like Break spell and Reflect Spell, just want to point out the second could use a clause to clarify it can be used outside your turn, as usually only immediate/readied actions can be used on another dude's turn.
    Okay, so here we go! All maneuvers have the same recovery mechanic of sundering required.

Cleave to Stone and Strike to Earth are changed to be more balanced, and One with the Earth is now revised to better-reflect Earthy themes as well as discourage long-term travel.

Reflect Spell is better clarified.

...now all I need to do better-refine Vigilant Watcher.

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    Re: Caryatid Column
    « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »
    Ready for final edits and potential revisions.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
    Looking good, nice touch on making the maneuvers optional.

One criticism I'll repeat is that I don't think the Caryatid should be able to travel through metal obstacles. It is a stone being after all, feels somewhat random and unrelated.

Also needs pic. Wotc still has its public galleries up, and the Caryatid has quite the badass image:

(click to show/hide)

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
    Yeah, at some point when I was editing the post removed the picture. I kinda like the metal part (allowing it to travel to more places), and since metal is actually found in most stones in trace quantities, I thought why not, but I see your point.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:27:33 PM by ~Corvus~ »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
    Added to the index!

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • The TC Storywriter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:26:11 AM »
    I noticed that improved body says it has 2 slam attacks and that its proficiencies say it has proficiency with its natural weapons but unless it is hidden in a spoiler somewhere I cant seem to spot where it gains the slam attacks, nor is my keyword search bringing anything up other then mentions in improved body.

Also, does Break spell apply to spell-likes and psi-likes as well or no?
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:34:39 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
    Im really bad at what I do.
    A+

Offline ~Corvus~

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:55 AM »
    Initially, I balked at your question because I felt it would be obvious the answer is yes, as SLAs are basically spells without XP or GP costs and with a set amount per day. I thought about this for a long time, and decided to remove Reflect spell and allow it to work on spell or psi-likes that have SR or PR.

Edit: Changed the weapon entry to involve the Slams.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • The TC Storywriter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »
    Okay cool, that makes sense to me.
    Im really bad at what I do.
    A+