Author Topic: Let's build the ultimate vault.  (Read 7825 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build the ultimate vault.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 11:57:02 PM »
Isn't there a metamagic that makes spells only harm evil creatures?
I don't think so. BoED's version of Consecrate Spell is suggestive, by a negative fallacy, that half the damage is may not be dealt to Good creatures. But the Feat was reprinted in Complete Divine several months later and the allusion was removed and killed that pointless argument years ago.

Ironically, if you wanted to deal extra damage to Good Creatures I could help you with that.
Touch of the Blacked Soul adds +50% vs Good.

Offline Jowgen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
I had a thread trying to accomplish a somewhat similar thing some time back over on giantitp (can't link as it's still down at this time...  :shakefist), specifically to create a deathtrap room that nothing could escape from alive/undestroyed.

From what I recall, the result was a voidstone box (with super-boosted hardness) that abused the Wondrous Architecture and Lair Ward rulesets, as to have the inside subject to AMF with auto-trigger Disjunctions and Globe of Invulnerabiltity layered on top in case of AMF by-pass. Another addition was Anchor Mists (Dungeonscape p. 140), to add a non-magical Dimensional Anchor effect. Essentially, once inside you had no choice but to content with constant voidstone exposure while unable to use/benefit from any magic; making death mostly inevitable.

The project was left a tad unfinished though. Certain creatures could avoid dying by acquiring voidstone immunity and/or hovering in the center of the room using Ex-flight at the right maneuverability. Also, never really got around to adding any sort of doorway, as to give a practical purpose ot the whole thing.

Perhaps some of the elements are of use here?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Filling the box with tons of drugs with the Inhaled delivery method doesn't fill those gaps? Pretty sure nothing is immune to drugs and most drugs can drop certain stats to zero, causing non-functionality in intruders.

Offline Jowgen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
Filling the box with tons of drugs with the Inhaled delivery method doesn't fill those gaps? Pretty sure nothing is immune to drugs and most drugs can drop certain stats to zero, causing non-functionality in intruders.

"In game terms, all drugs function like poisons" (LoD p. 182), and Ex poison immunity is relatively common.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »
Being limited to having to breath air is also semi-uncommon given the forum's usage of stuff like Necropolition (don't breath) or Water Orc (breaths water).

And leave it to GitP to try and increase the Hardness of Voidstone, a material that has no Hardness entry and also happens to annihilate anything that comes in contact with it. :rolleyes

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Water orcs only have a swim speed, they don't breathe water. Air goblins have breathless though :)
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
Ahh true. Swim Speed only, and Aquatic Half-Orcs get water breathing but not air breathing.

Well there is always Warforged.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
Make a sphere with various hooks inside that if moved or undone shear through a wire that undoes the Quintessence vault, and for good measure set your command word to the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody in fourteen languages from inside the sphere (to hide from stuff like hindsight). Assuming the inside has a Forbiddance they have no way of Teleporting in and nothing less than Wishing a new opening will even work in short of the theoretical usages of Contact Other Plane.
So you want to use normal vault techniques and no TO.

But assuming they peel back a section the creature nested inside Manifests Forced Dream undoing the last couple of hours, days, or centuries to back when the safe was first sealed giving you time to reassess what you need.
And here you go using TO. The save crystal trick is old news.

Everything else in between is just extra stuff. Like resetting Spell Traps, ... one heck of a Diplomacy Check with the local overdeity, and so on.
More TO. Yawn.

I like how nothing's fleshed out and there's no exact citations [Page 10 on DungMag153 btw]. From the vague statements, a PC could just spring attack open the door, punch a hole in it, collect all the juicy quintessence, and walk right in.

@Jowgen Finally time for someone to say something useful! Are the auto-trigger Disjunctions and Globe of Invulnerabiltity you mentioned custom effects like custom traps rather than RAW-listed effects? If so its kind tippyverse TO. If not, I'd love a citation.

Offline Jowgen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »
@Jowgen Finally time for someone to say something useful! Are the auto-trigger Disjunctions and Globe of Invulnerabiltity you mentioned custom effects like custom traps rather than RAW-listed effects? If so its kind tippyverse TO. If not, I'd love a citation.

Oh stop it you  :flutter

They are all Wondrous Architecture from SBG, specifically Sigils of Antimagic, Sigils of Suppression and Room of Rending ( all from p. 83). The way the Antimagic sigils are worded should make it so that the Wondrous Architecture that is the vault doesn't interfere with its own properties, so that the AMF-component doesn't interfere with the Disjunction-one or vice-versa.

EDIT: even the AMF precludes the Disjunction, all that really leaves open are rare high-levels things like Invoke Magic
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:30:25 AM by Jowgen »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
Could you conveniently soul trap trap your vault so you prevent creatures from interfering without killing them?  You could undo this soul trap and not kill the host?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
*yawns*
I think you need to take a moment and reassess your life. Is this really what you want to do with it?

EDIT: even the AMF precludes the Disjunction, all that really leaves open are rare high-levels things like Invoke Magic
Consider adding some support from a Cleric of Mystra, thanks to stuff like Consumptive Field their Spells will ignore any AMF that isn't powered by the same Spell creating a sort of key. The main benefit is not being limited to 4th level or lower.

Could you conveniently soul trap trap your vault so you prevent creatures from interfering without killing them?  You could undo this soul trap and not kill the host?
Speaking of access, people often forget that Planeshift requires a Focus of a specific size & material which may be hard to come by, so using Genesis adds that requirement just to get to the outside of the vault unless they want to resort to using Wish.