Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32083 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 05:39:07 PM »
The race discussion is tabled while Garryl and I discuss this in the proper thread.

U still MAD, bro?

I already made that joke.  :P

Okay, this changes things, I'll have to reconsider my stats and maneuver choices.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »
The race discussion is tabled while Garryl and I discuss this in the proper thread.

U still MAD, bro?

I already made that joke.  :P

That's a "no", then?

Okay, this changes things, I'll have to reconsider my stats and maneuver choices.

Something absolutely, positively, 110% stupid just occurred to me. If you keep your Charisma mod at +1 or less, Deadly Touch deals 1 damage, so you can guarantee a net gain of 1 hp with Martial Spirit.

On a more serious note, you might not actually need to spend the feat on Martial Spirit. Strat's character looks to have your standard "heal up to 1/2 health" aura, so there's passive, renewable healing for big injuries, and he can get his cohort to casting Cleric spells for downtime healing of the rest. Combine that with Crusader Strike and the disposable bone/meatshield that is a skeleton or zombie from Corpsecrafter, and in-combat healing looks like it should be covered well enough. Plus, you can make Crusader Strike really reliable with Deadly Touch's touch attack, if it's necessary.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy as a 2nd-level squishy spellcaster type?

I never have any idea of what to buy at level 2. Currently I have nothing at all because I cant use weapons/armor, have no use for food or camping supplies and can't afford any useful magic. I am sure I can find something novel to spend it on...

Maybe an earthsilk jersey (Races of Stone, pg. 160) if nothing else? For 150 gp, it reduces the damage you take from piercing attacks by 1 (specifically, DR 1/bludgeoning or slashing) until you take a crit from a piercing weapon, after which it rips and needs repairing. Not that impressive, so eh?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:59 AM »
I think I am going to get rid of Martial Spirit, I was already leaning that way before you posted (I just didn't delete all my maneuvers like I did my stats).

A lot is going to depend on my race (which I still haven't decided) and I'm not sure what to do with my feats.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 06:07:25 AM »
I may end up just carrying around all my wealth as black onyx gems. Being a gemstone it should be a trade good and it seems more in flavour than art.

Probably going to take Deceivingly Innocent Form for convenience sake. That said, an innocent/humanoid looking version of the deathjack is still going to be terrifying (6-7ft tall completely armored humanoid with glowing green eyes/heart)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »
I've got my race options narrowed down to the following:
Human
Water Orc (The str boost helps me offset the cha hit)
Lesser Aasimar/Lesser Cansin (Cha boost without a penalty to another score)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
How does the whole rare spells thing interact with classes that have access to their whole spell list (like divine spellcasters in core)? I'm playing a Thaumaturge, which works identically to the Spirit Shaman except for the oddity of how it was written such that instead of knowing all the spells and choosing which ones are retrieved each day, it chooses which ones to know (which act just like retrieved spells, including "knowing" them as metamagic-enhanced versions) and doesn't actually know the rest (no actual requirement to find and learn the spells or anything, just pick form the spell list). Among other oddities, this means the Thaumaturge can change whether or not it qualifies for certain feats and PrCs that require knowing a spell (such as the Archmage) on a day-to-day basis.

That's quite a tricky question. My thought is: you  treat your class spell list as including only core thaumaturge spells by default. You can add non-core thaumaturge spells to your effective class spell list if you have encountered them and studied them briefly (with a difficult spellcraft check, or a scroll/spellbook and a fairly easy spellcraft check).

It's a more complicated answer than I'd like, but I can't think of a way to simplify it without breaking things. If anyone has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 12:28:27 PM »
How does the whole rare spells thing interact with classes that have access to their whole spell list (like divine spellcasters in core)? I'm playing a Thaumaturge, which works identically to the Spirit Shaman except for the oddity of how it was written such that instead of knowing all the spells and choosing which ones are retrieved each day, it chooses which ones to know (which act just like retrieved spells, including "knowing" them as metamagic-enhanced versions) and doesn't actually know the rest (no actual requirement to find and learn the spells or anything, just pick form the spell list). Among other oddities, this means the Thaumaturge can change whether or not it qualifies for certain feats and PrCs that require knowing a spell (such as the Archmage) on a day-to-day basis.

That's quite a tricky question. My thought is: you  treat your class spell list as including only core thaumaturge spells by default. You can add non-core thaumaturge spells to your effective class spell list if you have encountered them and studied them briefly (with a difficult spellcraft check, or a scroll/spellbook and a fairly easy spellcraft check).

It's a more complicated answer than I'd like, but I can't think of a way to simplify it without breaking things. If anyone has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not overly concerned. I don't have access to much outside of core (no Spell Compendium, etc.), so practical considerations stop me from using those spells anyways. It's more of an academic thing.

Edit: Quill, if Weapon Finesse converts both attack and damage rolls to being Dex-based, would the Weapon Finesse you're not looking for (assuming it was allowed) convert attack rolls to being Cha-based alongside damage rolls?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:52:37 PM by Garryl »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »
It is allowed, but mental abilities are supposed to be harder to get on attack/damage, so I'm ruling that it doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:42:21 AM by Quillwraith »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
Still stuck on race, I'm putting my notes here so I can stop thinking about it for awhile. 

Human End stats: 18;12;14;8;8;14 - Any bonus feat
Lesser Cansin (+2 Int, +2 Cha) End stats: 18;12;14;10;8;16
Water Orc (+4 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha) End stats: 20;12;16;8;6;14
Frostblood Orc (+4 str, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha) End stats: 20;12;14;8;6;14 - Endurance bonus feat

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
Okay, done except for gear.  Never expect me to notice anything.  :p

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »
Okay, done except for gear.  Never expect me to notice anything.  :p

Some suggestions (in no particular order)
- Masterwork melee weapon of choice.
- Secondary melee weapon (reach if the primary isn't, or vice-versa).
- Tertiary melee weapon to fill out the damage types in case we fight zombies (slashing) or skeletons (bludgeoning). Do any monsters except Rakshasa have DR/piercing?
- Holdout weapon. Usually a dagger, but you can also get away with armor spikes.
- Backup ranged weapon. Even if you're at -6 on your attack roll compared to your melee attacks, it's still useful to have.
- A sling. Shorter range than a bow or crossbow and, like a crossbow, needs a move action to reload, but adds Str to damage naturally. Also, it's completely free and it's practically impossible to run out of ammunition (rocks are everywhere and only give -1 attack roll and -0.5 damage).
- Armor. I'm guessing banded mail (+6 AC, +1 max Dex, -6 ACP, heavy, 250 gp) since full plate is too expensive at 1500 gp. You don't really have any need for it to be masterwork. You may also want a lighter suit of armor to sleep in (in case of night-time ambush). You have Endurance, so you can sleep in medium armor.
- The standard adventurer's pack that includes everything you need and an 11-foot pole.
- A mule and/or horse to carry you and your stuff.
- A 1 HD animal of some sort to animate with Corpsecrafter.
- Sundark Goggles to remove the dazzling from light sensitivity. I think they're from Races of the Dragon.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
I made a note to myself about Sundark Goggles so that is definitely happening.  Six weapons are not happening.   :P

That reminds me.  Hey Mr. DM, how would you like me to do my starting undead companion?  Basic Human Warrior skeleton (without gear unless I gear it)?  Buy an animal and make it undead?  Something else?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
There isn't a lot of homebrew around for low-level magic items, but I've been trying to make a few. You might want a Daunting Helmet or a Dueling Headband if you have cash to spare.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »
I made a note to myself about Sundark Goggles so that is definitely happening.  Six weapons are not happening.   :P

That reminds me.  Hey Mr. DM, how would you like me to do my starting undead companion?  Basic Human Warrior skeleton (without gear unless I gear it)?  Buy an animal and make it undead?  Something else?
Let's say an animal corpse costs a fifth as much as the animal. A human corpse costs, I don't know, 150 gp? You can assume it was a Human Warrior.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »
For those who might be wondering, I'm still around. Just waiting for the character building to finish.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »
Any thoughts on what feats you're taking, Strat? They're still listed as TBD on your sheet.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
Oh, it's mentioned earlier in the thread. Combat Reflexes and Expertise and Improved Trip. One more to go. I'd probably take power attack but I can't qualify.

Cohort is Expertise and Improved Trip too.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
Maybe take the Weapon Finesse you're not looking for for Cha instead of Str to damage?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 06:47:52 PM »
What if I want a junky 1 HD humanoid skeleton that I can get for free?  Is that a thing I can do?  What would you allow for free?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »