Author Topic: I: The Red Fountain  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
I: The Red Fountain
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: I: The Red Fountain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
Karlat clambered towards the prow, his eyes peering out into the night, unable to see much because of a long ago blow to the head, one that had left a thin gash in the hair upon his head. With a grunt, he pulled his crossbow forth, hand hovering over a quiver slung low. Finally deciding, he pulled one forth and loaded his weapon, aiming it out into the night.

"So it begins..."

"What is it?" Cwalu, the first of many soldiers who would soon follow Karlat, had done as he always did and followed close behind, guisarme at his side.

"If I knew, I would have given you orders." A thought occurred... "Get Chirop, if you can find him. Whatever is out there, his senses are better than ours."

With a quick nod, Cwalu set off back down the boat, leaving Karlat to stare into the darkness and see very little.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
"Whubuduh blah!" Chirop woke suddenly, if groggily, as the ship's sudden halt knocked him unceremoniously from the cabin's ceiling. He had settled down for the morning and had managed to fall asleep not too long ago. Traveling with all of these crazy diurnal humans had messed up his sleep cycle, and the riverboat was the first chance Chirop had had in some time to try to get back to something reasonable.

The first thing Chirop noticed as his senses began to clear was the sounds of confusion from the other passengers. Then, the creaking of the boat's structure (and not the normal good kind), and finally that the floor was at an angle. Obviously something was wrong. A look around confirmed damage to the boat. Quickly grabbing his pack in case evacuation was in order, Chirop went out to find the captain or someone else who might know what was going on.

On his way out the door, he spots a familiar face. With a wave, he makes his way over. "Cwalu! What's going on? I was just settling in for the day when 'rumble clunk dunk' and I'm on the floor."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
The rather pale human shrugged. "We've run aground. Smashed up on a rock. And not on the river any more, neither. Karlat, well, he's keeping an eye out, or trying, more like. He was hoping you might tell us what's out there. Your eyes being what they are and all." So saying, he headed back towards his commander.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »
"Right. Lead the way."

Once outside, Chirop sighed at the moonlight. It couldn't even be noon yet, so obviously the fates were conspiring to keep him from a good day's sleep in the actual daytime. He took to the air, trying to get some altitude for a good look at the situation while following Cwalu to Karlat. He called out to him as he landed, "Karlat, what's going on? The crash woke me, and suddenly it's night and we're on rocks in new waters? Have the captain or crew said anything yet?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 04:46:31 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
Karlat swept his crossbow across the deck. "They've said nothing. Too busy scurrying about, afraid they might lose a belonging. Not yet afraid of what's out there." Beside him, Cwalu swapped out his polearm for a matching crossbow, the patient wait of a soldier. "What do your eyes see?"

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 11:42:53 PM »
Chriop relayed his perceptions. "We're in a cave, I think. It's a big one, if that's what it is. It sounds almost too big for one. The mouth is over that way," he pointed, "where the moon and stars are peeking in. There's dry land in the direction of that strange light up there, and..." he perked his ears for a moment, "there are people further beyond it. Two voices."

He listened and looked about a bit more, his attention brought back to the boat this time. "Strange. There should be more people with us here, and I don't hear the captain anywhere. What could have happened?"

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:51 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:31 AM »
A glower covered Karlat's face. "He's dead, then. Or sent us into this mess and stayed behind. Either way, a coward."

Sweeping his hand across the wreck of the ship, Cwalu responded. "Don't that leave it up to us to save all these folks then? They ain't saving themselves..."

"No. There's nowhere safer than here. But we won't know anything more unless we scout. Towards the voices, if they sounded friendly. Chirop, you take point and we follow behind?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
"I can't tell what they're saying yet. I'll fly up and get a closer ear. Oh! Here." Chirop focused for a few moments. "Just point to me and whisper, and I'll hear you at up to forty yards."

(click to show/hide)

Chirop winged his way up, staying around 20 feet above the ground as he flapped towards the flame and the people standing in front of it. When he got within sight of them, he turned to whisper to Karlat and Cwalu, "There are three of them standing near the light. Two of them are armored, one with a large sword. The third doesn't look healthy, almost like a corpse. A zombie, maybe? They look more wary than aggressive."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Karlat and Cwalu turned to one another, expressions not entirely sanguine. The soldier spoke first. "Not the actions of a guilty party, I don't think. Sounds more like they ended up here by chance, like we did."

Taking a turn about the deck before answering, Karlat finally settled himself. Whatever had come to mind, it hadn't been pleasant. "A necromancer... You may be right, but take no chances. Those who wield the dead do not do so out of the goodness of their hearts."

Pointing at Chirop, Karlat whispered. "Wait for us to approach. We come." Message sent, Karlat and Cwalu clambered over the side of the ship and began to walk towards their flying friend. Despite the darkness and his normally poor vision, Karlat could see him easily, and so guided the way, lit by the glow of magical illumination.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Three creatures stand by the beacon: a contruct of black armor and green smoke, a warrior, and his undead companion. Four approach with equal caution: an arcanist, two mercenaries, and a sailor.

((You’ll want a chance to introduce yourselves to each other, yes? ))

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »
A low grunt escaped Cwalu, his weapon rising to point towards the zombie, despite its lack of forward motion. "You were right, Tr'Bon. A necromancer. Wonder what they're doing here. And why it's so bloody cold. Think they had anything to do with it?"

Karlat looked the waiting creatures over once or twice, then, with deliberate patience, spat on the ground in front of him. "No. They are by no means strong enough in the magic arts. Not unless wizards wear armour and carry large blades."

Cradling his crossbow, the mercenary commander gestured for Cwalu to lower his. Barely. Now that they were vaguely non-threatening, he stepped forward and bowed. "Welcome , one and all, to the middle of nowhere. I assume you are recent arrivals to these shores?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
Deciding these people aren't threats if they're talking to him, Hrothgar sheaths his sword.  He can always draw it later and kill them if he wants to.  He then makes a calming motion to Gork.

"Everywhere is somewhere, and we're somewhere in the planes of the dead.  Not the one we came from though."

He opens his mouth as if he's about to say something else, then closes it again.  These people aren't his friends so he has nothing else to say, for now.