Author Topic: Nereid  (Read 2579 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Nereid
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:43 AM »
Nereid

NereidHD:d6

Level
Base
Attack Bonus
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save

Special
1+0+0+2+2Nereid Body, Shawl, Drown, Novice Water Magic, -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha
2+1+0+3+3Aqua Camouphlage, Shy Summon Water Elemental, Speak with Animals, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
3+2+0+3+3Mistress Water Magic, Aqua Spell +1 Dex, +1 Cha
4+3+0+4+4Displacement, Shimmering Summon Water Elemental, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
Skills: 6+Int modifier per level (x4 at 1st level. Class Skills: (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Proficiencies: Simple weapons.

Class Features:
Nereid Body: The Nereid loses all other racial bonus and gains Fey traits (basically lowlight vision) plus the Aquatic and Extraplanar Subtypes. It's a medium sized Fey with base speed 30 feet and a 40 feet swim speed. In addition she gains a Deflection bonus  to AC equal to her Cha mod plus resistance to Fire and Cold equal to 4+HD. A Nereid can speak Aquan with a voice that sound like the soft hiss of surf and write it with letters than seem waves besides normal languages (common plus extras for high Int score).

Shawl (Su): Every nereid is wrapped in a delicate shawl of seafoam white, to which its essence is bound. A nereid whose shawl is destroyed quickly fades and dies within 1 hour. Cruel individuals coerce the service of nereids by stealing their shawls, and a nereid so deprived will do everything in its power to regain the item.
A nereid’s shawl can be taken while it is worn by using the disarm action (see page 155 of the Player’s Handbook), though this is a difficult task. Treat the shawl as a well-secured item, which means that you must first pin the nereid before you can use the disarm action (and even then, the nereid gains a +4 bonus on its roll to resist the attempt).

Drown (Su): A nereid can make a special touch attack to try to fill an opponent’s lungs with water as a standard action and demanding a melee touch attack. If the Nereid succeeds on this touch, the opponent can resist this effect with a DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod Fortitude save. On a failed save the opponent begins to drown (see Drowning on page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide), except after reaching -1 HP the water mysteriously disappears and the victim just counts as dying. If all Nereid levels were taken, then Drown can use the full drowning rules, making the victim doomed as soon as they fail their save. The Nereid can wait until the last moment to make this choice.

Water Magic: The Nereid develops some natural watery magic. Any save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Novice- At first level the Nereid can use Create Water 2/hour per HD and Air Breathing 2/day per HD. If the Nereid targets herself with Air Breathing, she doesn't expend any uses.

Mistress-At 3rd level Control Currents 1/day per HD plus level Control Water and Wall of Ice 1/day plus another time per day per 5 HD.

Aqua Camouphlage: At 2nd level a Nereid is nearly impossible to detect in its element, with a shimmering body that is almost transparent. On the rare occasions that a nereid leaves the water, it takes on a more solid-looking appearance, resembling a pale elf wearing a distinctive shawl.. This grants the Nereid a Racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks equal to 4+Nereid level+half otther levels while in water deep enough for a creature of her size to drown, and in addition allows her to hide in such conditions even if she has nothing to hide behind.

Shy Summon Water Elemental (Sp): Starting at 2nd level as a standard action once per day plus another time per 5 HD a nereid can  summon one Small water elemental anywhere either adjacent to her or on a body of water big enough whitin 50 feet plus 10 feet per HD.

The summoned elementals remain for 1 hour or until slain or until you use this ability again.

Speak with Animals (Su): Starting at 2nd level Nereids can speak with animals, though only simple concepts can be communicated (as the speak with animals spell).

Aqua Spell:
At 3rd level the Nereid may replicate any cleric or druid or wizard [Water] spell of a level no higher than half her HD as a SLA by expending a number of her Create Water SLA uses equal to twice the spell's level. Any save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Displacement (Su): Starting at 4th level nereid’s shimmering form makesits true location difficult to surmise. Any melee or ranged attack directed against it has a 50% miss chance unless the attacker can locate the nereid by some means other than sight. A true seeing effect allows the user to see the nereid’s position, but see invisibility has no effect.

Shimmering Summon Water Elemental: At 4th level the Nereid’s summoning ability improves. Instead of one small water elemental,  she can instead summon 1 medium water elemental or 1d3 small water elementals.

If the Nereid has 6+ HD, she can instead summon 1 large water elemental or 1d3 medium water elementals or 1d4+1 small water elementals.

If the Nereid has 8+ HD, she can instead summon 1 huge water elemental or 1d3 large water elementals or 1d4+1 medium water elementals or 1d6+2 small water elementals.

If the Nereid has 10+ HD, she can instead summon 1 greater water elemental or 1d3 huge water elementals or 1d4+1 large water elementals or 1d6+2 medium water elementals or 1d8+3 small water elementals.

If the Nereid has 12+ HD, she can instead summon 1 elder water elemental or 1d3 greader water elementals or 1d4+1 huge water elementals or 1d6+2 large water elementals or 1d8+3 medium water elementals or 1d12+4 small water elementals.

If the Nereid has 18+ HD, she can instead summon 1 monolith water elemental or 1d3 elder water elementals or 1d4+1 greater water elementals or 1d6+2 huge water elementals or 1d8+3 large water elementals or 1d12+4 medium water elementals or 1d20+5 small water elementals.

Otherwise this works as Shy Summon Water Elemental.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:06:25 AM by oslecamo »

Offline RegalKain

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Nereid
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:52:32 PM »
So levels 2 and 4 have the [/Row2] closer still in the table, may want to remove that.

Otherwise you don't specify that the Nereid is Amphibious, just that it has the Aquatic type, thus making it not be able to breathe air. (So a Nereid will "drown" when out of water as is written currently.) I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, may want to add a claus that they can breathe outside of the water, or give them the amphibious quality.

Also I'm kind of surprised that they don't get Create Water as an at-will Cantrip. (Maybe make it so it has an hourly cooldown or something so people aren't flooding everything, but still.)

Past that it looks ok. I feel like it sits in a really odd place for power. Because you basically have a Save-or-Die and nothing else in your kit that's offensive in nature. (Except the summon water elementals.)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:54:13 PM »
Fixed table, thanks.

Indeed the Nereid isn't amphibious, but she does have the Air Breathing spell as SLA that does exactly what it says. Although at first level duration isn't so good so added clause that targeting herself doesn't expend uses.

Added Create Water with hourly cooldown, good idea.

Also agree with being a bit limited with combat options. Added Water Spell at 3rd level to replicate any [Water] spells by expending Create Water uses, and will do an ACF for that based on pokemon water moves like I did for the celestial/fiendish creature once I have the time. Some other stuff I need to take care before that.

Offline RegalKain

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »
Looks a lot better now honestly, the only other thing I see is a typo.

Novice- At first level the Nereid can use Create Water 2/hour and Air Breathing 2/day per HD. If the Nereid targets herself with Water Breathing, she doesn't expend any uses.

Water Breathing should be Air Breathing here, otherwise it looks excellent, looking forward to the Water moveset. :)

Edit: Upon reading this line again. At first level the Nereid can use Create Water 2/hour and Air Breathing 2/day per HD.

People may take that as they get Create Water 2/Hour per HD as well, not sure if that is intended or not.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:03:16 AM by RegalKain »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
Looks a lot better now honestly, the only other thing I see is a typo.

Novice- At first level the Nereid can use Create Water 2/hour and Air Breathing 2/day per HD. If the Nereid targets herself with Water Breathing, she doesn't expend any uses.

Water Breathing should be Air Breathing here, otherwise it looks excellent, looking forward to the Water moveset. :)

Edit: Upon reading this line again. At first level the Nereid can use Create Water 2/hour and Air Breathing 2/day per HD.

People may take that as they get Create Water 2/Hour per HD as well, not sure if that is intended or not.

Fixed typo, clarified that Create Water is 2/Hour per HD.

Also added the Adventurous Nereid ACF that swaps Aqua Spell for Aqua Assault, let me know what you think.

Offline RegalKain

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »
Some of the ranges seem super high on the Aqua Assault abilities. I like most of the abilities honestly, I really think we should team up and make a Half-Elemental template and give them a bunch of Water, Fire, Acid, Earth themed abilities. I have a ton of work right now, but I'll start thinking something like that up. I put my replied in Bold for the abilities I had questions/issues with. Excellent job though.

Aqua Jet-Move up to 10 feet whitout provoking attacks of opportunity, or 20 feet if you’re swimming.

As these abilities are immediate actions, does this mean you can use this to interrupt an attack? For instance if an Archer shoots you, can you immediate action move to avoid the attack? If so, is their attack action still wasted? 

Aqua Ring-Envelop itself in a veil made of water, gaining Fast Healing 1 until they take damage, or Fast Healing 2 if swimming.

My only worry with this is that it's at-will all day healing. Not a huge deal, but I wanted to point that out. (Doesn't matter to me, as Fast Healing/Regeneration have hefty house rules at my tables.)

Bubble-A spray of countless bubbles is jetted at everybody in a cone with 30 feet, dealing 1 bludgeoning damage per HD and inflicting a -4 penalty to their Dex for 1 round. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and negates the Dex penalty.

Petty, I know. But it should probably read in a 30 Foot Cone, not a cone with 30 feet, for clarification purposes. Also do these Dex penalties stack? If I have a group of 4 Nereids Each using this ability, do the enemies take a -16 Dex? That' massive if they stack, maybe add a non-stacking clause.

Brine-Your next attack within 1 round deals double damage and has any DCs increased by 2 if the target is below half HP.

I'd personally re-word this to be. "Your next attack, until the end of your next turn." To clarify, as some times a round can be confusing as to when the bonus wears off. I do like this ability though. Further in I have a few questions with how it might stack, and exactly what damage it doubles.

Dive--For 2 rounds your swimming movement speed increases by 10 miles but you can only swim underwater. You need at least 7 HD to learn this. In addition whenever you move more than twice your base swim speed with this ability, you are Exhausted until you rest, and cannot use this ability while Exhausted. (This affects creatures normally immune to Exhaustion.)

I think we had a discussion about an ability close to this when I was making Winged Creature, 10 miles is a massive movement. Also maybe word it so that it reads. "You are Exhausted until you rest, this ability cannot be used again while Exhausted." This way it cannot be read as the ability immediately stops functioning (Losing the rest of the movement) when you move double your swim speed.

Hydro Cannon-Hits the target with a watery blast. Make a ranged attack with range increment 600 feet that deals 1d10 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half force). Then you cannot take any actions until the end of your next turn. You need at least 16 HD to learn this.
  So here is my first issue with range. You specifically call out and say "Range Increment" I'm not sure if these are thrown attacks, if not they have a Maximum Range Increment of x10 for a projectile weapon attack. Which means the maximum range of this ability (Admittedly at a -20 at that point.) is 6,000 feet. You may want to change it to a fixed range. (Which is still long but acceptable.)

Liquidation-Slams into the target using a full-force blast of water. Your next attack whitin 1 round deals an extra 1d12 damage per HD and inflicts a -10 penalty to their AC, DR (if any), Hardness (if any) and Fort saves for 1 round. A Fort save halves this extra damage and the penalty. This can affect objects and can only be learned if you have 18 HD or more.

First question of Combo Attacking. If I use Brine (Immediate Action) On my next turn, I then use Liquidation (Immediate Action in a new Round.) Then Swing a sword. Does this deal double damage as well? Is that even possible or does Brine wear off at the start of your turn? Otherwise Combo Stacking these abilities will get to crazy damage quickly.

Scald-Shoots boiling hot water at the opponen whitin 60 feet, dealing 1d4 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half fire) and inflicting 4 ability damage to an ability score of your choice (only 2 if Con is picked). A Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and the ability damage. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option.

Does Brine also double the Ability damage of this attack? 

Soak-Your next attack whitin 1 round grants the [Water] subtype to any targets hit/damaged and removes any [Good], [Evil], [Chaotic], [Lawful], [Fire], [Air], [Earth] and [Cold] subtypes from them. While this change lasts any non-bludgeoning damage they deal is halved as well as any non-[Water] abilities they use take a -4 penalty to DCs. It takes a fullround action drying themselves to reverse this. You need at least 7 HD to learn this option.

This is super cool, and it sort of makes me wish more of the abilities in Aqua Assault dealt more with the Water Subtype.   

Steam Eruption-Your next attack whitin 1 round deals an extra 1d6 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half fire) and inflicting 8 ability damage to an ability score of your choice (only 4 if Con is picked). A Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this extra damage and the ability damage. You need at least 13 HD to pick this option.

Can I stack Steam Eruption and Brine then make a weapon attack? Would Brine then double the 1d6 per Hd, the 8 ability damage, and the Weapon attack? 

Surf-Attacks everything in front by swamping its surroundings with a giant wave. You move in a straight line up to 30 feet ignoring creatures and able to go over obstacles 30 feet high or lower and everybody you pass through takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. This movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal but anybody attempting them counts as automatically failing their reflex save. If you’re moving over water, you can bring any adjacent willing creatures with you. You need at least 10 HD to learn this option.

I really like this ability. Powerful though. Maybe not so much at 10HD in a Vancian world. Otherwise though very powerful.

Water Gun-Target is blasted with a forceful shot of water. Make a ranged attack with range increment 40 feet that deals 1d2  damage (half bludgeoning, half force) per HD.  You need at least 4 HD to learn this.

I'm not sure if 1d2 damage is a typo or not. Also because it's split damage, what happens when they roll a 1? Is it Bludgeoning, or Force damage at that point? (Since you can't deal 0.5 Damage.) Might be better to just say it deals 2 Damage per HD, (Half Bludgeoning Half Force) that makes it marginally better, but stops any confusion as to dealing with a d2. Also this has the same Range Increment issue that Hydro Cannon and a few others have. As written this means the attack has a Maximum range of 400 Feet.

Water Pledge-A column of water strikes the target whitin 40 feet, dealing 1d3 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Will save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. If the target had already taken fire damage in the same round, this deals double damage and the target still takes normal damage even if they save then a rainbow appears, Dazzling all enemies that can see you for 1 round.  You need at least 6 HD to pick this option.

The wording on this one is pretty rough. I'd suggest. "Water Pledge-A column of water strikes a target within 40 feet, dealing 1d3 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Will save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. If the target has already taken fire damage in this round, this deals double damage,  the target still takes normal damage even if they make the Will Save, in addition  a rainbow appears, Dazzling all enemies that can see you for 1 round.  You need at least 6 HD to pick this option."  Also does this mean that there is no Save for the Dazzle effect? Maybe put the Dazzle effect earlier in the ability description? Not sure, it's a tough ability to word well. 

Water Shuriken-For 1 round you can produce  light weapons out of water to attack with that deal 1d12 base slashing/piercing damage (regardless of your size), take no penalties for being used underwater and can be thrown with range increment 30 feet (including underwater) and have a magic +1 enhancement to attack and damage rolls per 4 HD. The Water Shurikens evaporate/dissolve when the duration is over.  You need at least 4 HD to learn this.

1d12 Is pretty massive damage, I guess it's not horrible since you'd only have this weapon available to you every other, or every third round. Still though Iterative Attacks are gonna be super strong here.

Whirlpool-Traps one target whitin 30 feet in a violent swirling whirlpool, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per HD and leaving them Entangled for 1d12 rounds. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and reduces the Entnaglement duration to 1 round. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option.

I'd actually like to see this re-worked. "Whirlpool-Traps a target within 30 feet in a violent swirling whirlpool, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per HD and Entangling them. You may spend a Standard Action each round to concentrate on this effect, dealing the same damage, and keeping them entangled each round. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates the same, and the Entangling effect. They get a new save each time you spend a standard action to concentrate. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option."   

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
Some of the ranges seem super high on the Aqua Assault abilities. I like most of the abilities honestly, I really think we should team up and make a Half-Elemental template and give them a bunch of Water, Fire, Acid, Earth themed abilities. I have a ton of work right now, but I'll start thinking something like that up.
Definitely up for it. You do the base chassis and I'll do the special moves? I can get started with fire, poison acid and earth stuff following the same formula.

I put my replied in Bold for the abilities I had questions/issues with. Excellent job though.
Yay!

Aqua Jet-Move up to 10 feet whitout provoking attacks of opportunity, or 20 feet if you’re swimming.

As these abilities are immediate actions, does this mean you can use this to interrupt an attack? For instance if an Archer shoots you, can you immediate action move to avoid the attack? If so, is their attack action still wasted? 
My ruling in this kind of situation (like abrupt jaunt) is that the attacker can shift their target at the last moment so if you're still in range/view you'll still be targeted and if you're not they can pick another target.

Aqua Ring-Envelop itself in a veil made of water, gaining Fast Healing 1 until they take damage, or Fast Healing 2 if swimming.

My only worry with this is that it's at-will all day healing. Not a huge deal, but I wanted to point that out. (Doesn't matter to me, as Fast Healing/Regeneration have hefty house rules at my tables.)
At-will healing is something already available in low level D&D like that crusader 1st level stance that lets you heal the whole party by hitting stuff or a dread necromancer that's either undead or with the tomb-tained soul, and Aqua Ring is self only plus several of other monster classes do get fast healing or regen early on that's always active so don't really think it's anything over the top.

Bubble-A spray of countless bubbles is jetted at everybody in a cone with 30 feet, dealing 1 bludgeoning damage per HD and inflicting a -4 penalty to their Dex for 1 round. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and negates the Dex penalty.

Petty, I know. But it should probably read in a 30 Foot Cone, not a cone with 30 feet, for clarification purposes. Also do these Dex penalties stack? If I have a group of 4 Nereids Each using this ability, do the enemies take a -16 Dex? That' massive if they stack, maybe add a non-stacking clause.
Believe that it already doesn't stack by default since modifiers from the same source/type don't stack but redundancy never hurts. Changed wording and added anti-stacking clause just to be safe.

Brine-Your next attack within 1 round deals double damage and has any DCs increased by 2 if the target is below half HP.

I'd personally re-word this to be. "Your next attack, until the end of your next turn." To clarify, as some times a round can be confusing as to when the bonus wears off. I do like this ability though. Further in I have a few questions with how it might stack, and exactly what damage it doubles.
The problem with that wording suggestion is that it would allow that aqua assault to combo with other aqua assaults which isn't intended short of having multiple swift/immediate actions per round. Also I believe round is pretty well defined, it wears off when the initiative count loops again. Clarified it's only HP damage that gets doubled.

Dive--For 2 rounds your swimming movement speed increases by 10 miles but you can only swim underwater. You need at least 7 HD to learn this. In addition whenever you move more than twice your base swim speed with this ability, you are Exhausted until you rest, and cannot use this ability while Exhausted. (This affects creatures normally immune to Exhaustion.)

I think we had a discussion about an ability close to this when I was making Winged Creature, 10 miles is a massive movement. Also maybe word it so that it reads. "You are Exhausted until you rest, this ability cannot be used again while Exhausted." This way it cannot be read as the ability immediately stops functioning (Losing the rest of the movement) when you move double your swim speed.
Wording updated as per your suggestion. Also swimming is still limited to areas where you can swim while flight can go to a lot more places.

Hydro Cannon-Hits the target with a watery blast. Make a ranged attack with range increment 600 feet that deals 1d10 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half force). Then you cannot take any actions until the end of your next turn. You need at least 16 HD to learn this.
  So here is my first issue with range. You specifically call out and say "Range Increment" I'm not sure if these are thrown attacks, if not they have a Maximum Range Increment of x10 for a projectile weapon attack. Which means the maximum range of this ability (Admittedly at a -20 at that point.) is 6,000 feet. You may want to change it to a fixed range. (Which is still long but acceptable.)
At 16th level an actual long spell would have range 1040 feet so made it fixed 1000 feet.

Liquidation-Slams into the target using a full-force blast of water. Your next attack whitin 1 round deals an extra 1d12 damage per HD and inflicts a -10 penalty to their AC, DR (if any), Hardness (if any) and Fort saves for 1 round. A Fort save halves this extra damage and the penalty. This can affect objects and can only be learned if you have 18 HD or more.

First question of Combo Attacking. If I use Brine (Immediate Action) On my next turn, I then use Liquidation (Immediate Action in a new Round.) Then Swing a sword. Does this deal double damage as well? Is that even possible or does Brine wear off at the start of your turn? Otherwise Combo Stacking these abilities will get to crazy damage quickly.
If you got a fresh set of actions, it means the initiative count looped and it's indeed a new round so Brine's duration would've worn off.
You could combo stack if you had multiple swift/immediate actions per round but that's not exactly easy.

Scald-Shoots boiling hot water at the opponen whitin 60 feet, dealing 1d4 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half fire) and inflicting 4 ability damage to an ability score of your choice (only 2 if Con is picked). A Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and the ability damage. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option.

Does Brine also double the Ability damage of this attack? 
Even if one had multiple immediate/swift actions per round, it's now limited to only HP damage.

Soak-Your next attack whitin 1 round grants the [Water] subtype to any targets hit/damaged and removes any [Good], [Evil], [Chaotic], [Lawful], [Fire], [Air], [Earth] and [Cold] subtypes from them. While this change lasts any non-bludgeoning damage they deal is halved as well as any non-[Water] abilities they use take a -4 penalty to DCs. It takes a fullround action drying themselves to reverse this. You need at least 7 HD to learn this option.

This is super cool, and it sort of makes me wish more of the abilities in Aqua Assault dealt more with the Water Subtype.   
[/quote]
Well there's still some water pokemon moves left to convert, I'll take that in mind when I get some extra inspiration/time.

Steam Eruption-Your next attack whitin 1 round deals an extra 1d6 damage per HD (half bludgeoning, half fire) and inflicting 8 ability damage to an ability score of your choice (only 4 if Con is picked). A Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this extra damage and the ability damage. You need at least 13 HD to pick this option.

Can I stack Steam Eruption and Brine then make a weapon attack? Would Brine then double the 1d6 per Hd, the 8 ability damage, and the Weapon attack? 
Again, could only stack if you had multiple immediate/swift actions per round, and it's now limited to only HP damage.

Surf-Attacks everything in front by swamping its surroundings with a giant wave. You move in a straight line up to 30 feet ignoring creatures and able to go over obstacles 30 feet high or lower and everybody you pass through takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. This movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal but anybody attempting them counts as automatically failing their reflex save. If you’re moving over water, you can bring any adjacent willing creatures with you. You need at least 10 HD to learn this option.

I really like this ability. Powerful though. Maybe not so much at 10HD in a Vancian world. Otherwise though very powerful.
Excellent.

Water Gun-Target is blasted with a forceful shot of water. Make a ranged attack with range increment 40 feet that deals 1d2  damage (half bludgeoning, half force) per HD.  You need at least 4 HD to learn this.

I'm not sure if 1d2 damage is a typo or not. Also because it's split damage, what happens when they roll a 1? Is it Bludgeoning, or Force damage at that point? (Since you can't deal 0.5 Damage.)
You need at least 4 HD so worst case scenario you would be rolling 4d2 with minimum 4 damage.

Might be better to just say it deals 2 Damage per HD, (Half Bludgeoning Half Force) that makes it marginally better, but stops any confusion as to dealing with a d2. Also this has the same Range Increment issue that Hydro Cannon and a few others have. As written this means the attack has a Maximum range of 400 Feet. [/b]
Changed to 2 damage per HD if you insist. Although I don't understand how 40 range increment is a problem when plenty of basic ranged weapons have better range increments. A light crossbow is 80 feet for max 800, a longbow is 100 feet for max 1000.

Also reduced Hydro Pump's range increment to 100 feet, same as basic longbow.

Water Pledge-A column of water strikes the target whitin 40 feet, dealing 1d3 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Will save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. If the target had already taken fire damage in the same round, this deals double damage and the target still takes normal damage even if they save then a rainbow appears, Dazzling all enemies that can see you for 1 round.  You need at least 6 HD to pick this option.

The wording on this one is pretty rough. I'd suggest. "Water Pledge-A column of water strikes a target within 40 feet, dealing 1d3 bludgeoning damage per HD. A Will save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage. If the target has already taken fire damage in this round, this deals double damage,  the target still takes normal damage even if they make the Will Save, in addition  a rainbow appears, Dazzling all enemies that can see you for 1 round.  You need at least 6 HD to pick this option."  Also does this mean that there is no Save for the Dazzle effect? Maybe put the Dazzle effect earlier in the ability description? Not sure, it's a tough ability to word well. 
Updated wording with your suggestion and clarifying the rainbow bit.

Water Shuriken-For 1 round you can produce  light weapons out of water to attack with that deal 1d12 base slashing/piercing damage (regardless of your size), take no penalties for being used underwater and can be thrown with range increment 30 feet (including underwater) and have a magic +1 enhancement to attack and damage rolls per 4 HD. The Water Shurikens evaporate/dissolve when the duration is over.  You need at least 4 HD to learn this.

1d12 Is pretty massive damage, I guess it's not horrible since you'd only have this weapon available to you every other, or every third round. Still though Iterative Attacks are gonna be super strong here.
Greatswords are 2d6 damage with 19-20 crit at game start, getting a 1d12 or 2d6 bow takes a bit of work but still perfectly possible early game with much better range, and the Water Shuriken is eating up your swift/immediate action which limits combo potential.

Whirlpool-Traps one target whitin 30 feet in a violent swirling whirlpool, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per HD and leaving them Entangled for 1d12 rounds. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates this damage and reduces the Entnaglement duration to 1 round. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option.

I'd actually like to see this re-worked. "Whirlpool-Traps a target within 30 feet in a violent swirling whirlpool, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per HD and Entangling them. You may spend a Standard Action each round to concentrate on this effect, dealing the same damage, and keeping them entangled each round. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Highest stat mod negates the same, and the Entangling effect. They get a new save each time you spend a standard action to concentrate. You need at least 5 HD to pick this option."   

Good idea, done.

Thanks for the in-depth review and suggestions!

Offline RegalKain

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »
I  kind of forgot that it's minimum 4 HD to grab these. So that was my apologies on the Water Gun attack, 4d2 is fine and works out ok. As for everything else sounds good. Most of it was poor understanding of Round based mechanics, and making sure there was no ambiguous wording towards stacking/ability damage buffs. And yeah when I have some time I'll make that Half- Elemental Chassis.