Author Topic: Monster of Legend (Prestige/Template Monster Class)  (Read 45356 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster of Legend (Prestige/Template Monster Class)
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »
Legendary Monster is for those "Holy crap how did it do that?" moments
I don't see how that supports the idea that undead creatures cannot be legendary monsters.
And even more templates specifically don't work on undeads/constructs while working on pretty much everybody else.
It doesn't change that my statement is quite valid. Undead creatures are not static and come in many flavors. Their very nature makes them easy to warp and subjective to produce unusual specimens.
And as Raineh said, most of the templates you speak of are inherited anyway, which must be acquired before they can become undead. And for those you have a tendency to make them available anyway via rituals or some other mean.

Several undead types auto-discard any templates you had beforehand.
Those are mostly templates changing the body into an entire new creature, which makes sense that the entire creature is discarded to make the new one. Usually those are meant to make minion-material undead that aren't meant to be played by PCs.

And ironically enough, undead-turning templates don't work on undeads themselves.
While some combination being impossible might make sense (skeleton+zombie?), I agree that some should technically be possible and perhaps weren't because the devs kept to the pattern that a template granting undeath should require the base creature to be alive. Still, you do not limit yourself to such constraint so nothing stops you from allowing vampires or any other undead creature from becoming a lich.

If it has a solid body  but no traces of organic matter, it's not really an undead anymore is it?
Your only counterargument is nitpicking at an example? If you must, I'll remind you that bones are made of carbon, which is the same element from which diamond is made. I doesn't change much. Monster of Legend already makes it possible to change your body to weird stuff for aesthetic purposes only.
Either way, my point stands; them sticking to their role or not isn't relevant in whether they can be legendary or not. Getting crazy powers normally unseen by their kind is very possible to that creature type

I don't give a crap about such "vampires" either.
Me neither. So what? You used sun-light and vampire for your example - I refer to undead creatures in general even though people here mostly think of legendary vampires. A vampire could have a different crazy ability unrelated to sunlight. Like lava blood or whatever.

They're known as flesh golems and animated objects. You know, the ones that don't specifically block the people used up in te process from being reincarnated.
I do know. I was just giving information on the matter of walking bodies with a soul compared to walking undead bodies with one since the topic was brought up. Wasn't particularly directed for your attention.
Thanks for listing examples.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:26:28 PM by Anomander »

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
Implying that Dracula/Alucard has just 20 levels. I'll never get why some people think that everything has to fit in an exact 20 level build.

Calculated maximum level for Human limitations, is level 5.
Anything above level 5 is at least super human, by level 12, you've got a one man army. Something that can take on hundreds of people at once.
At level 20, you have a god. Above that is all kinds of ridiculous.

What about those versions of Dracula that somehow got from 'undead monstrosity' to 'eldritch abomination'? Like the one that went from vampire to embodiment of chaos?

You mean like Castlevania? He does transform a lot, I think the Pseudonatural Creature and Titanic Creature classes could really help a Castlevania style Dracula build. Don't forget his Warlock levels for all the Fireballs, Meteor Swarms and Summon (Bat) Swarms he'll be throwing at Yurius Bermondo and the like.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »
What about those versions of Dracula that somehow got from 'undead monstrosity' to 'eldritch abomination'? Like the one that went from vampire to embodiment of chaos?

You mean like Castlevania? He does transform a lot, I think the Pseudonatural Creature and Titanic Creature classes could really help a Castlevania style Dracula build. Don't forget his Warlock levels for all the Fireballs, Meteor Swarms and Summon (Bat) Swarms he'll be throwing at Yurius Bermondo and the like.

There's also the sheer immortality, not to mention being a knight or some such before a vampire.

Though there's also Hellsing Alucard, who simply contains the soul of absolutely every person he's ever drained of blood, is basically immune to standard vampire weaknesses, and is in general frankly ludicrous. Just look at the full list. Or these.

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
Does this actually change your type to Outsider, or just give you the Outsider traits? For example, if I start as a Plant, does taking the first level of this class make me:
  • a Plant,
  • a Plant (Augmented Plant), or
  • an Outsider (Augmented Plant)?

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
Can the Legendary Skill ability that grants Spell Turning be turned off voluntarily to allow beneficial effects through, or to let a spell through that the Monster of Legend can resist anyway (for example, scorching ray if immune to Fire)?
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
Spellturning doesn't work on area effects nor touch range stuff, so most buffs will still get trough. Letting stuff trough that you're already immune is kinda too good for my tastes.

Does this actually change your type to Outsider, or just give you the Outsider traits? For example, if I start as a Plant, does taking the first level of this class make me:
  • a Plant,
  • a Plant (Augmented Plant), or
  • an Outsider (Augmented Plant)?

Middle one.