Author Topic: D&D 5th edition Next - PHB  (Read 38801 times)

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
D&D 5th edition Next - PHB
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
So my bud 3.54life hooked me up. The man's reaction was less then flattering. I will quote him:

Quote from: 3.54life
Check out this steaming pile of [deleted]!!!

However, what sort of reaction would one expect from a man who goes by "3.5 for life" for his handle? You are sort of committed there, chum.

So, I will in fact, take time away from my other projects to try and read this thing. Just glancing at it gave me a headache, so I'm not too optimistic.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5th edition Next - PHB
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
How'd this friend of your's get his hands on a PHB? Those aren't out for another month, right? Or did he just grab the Starter Set, which came out yesterday?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
Blah blah blah. Lets skip ahead to character creation.

The Example:
Bob is making someone named Bruenor. This speaks to me. My name is Bob. I can see myself sitting there and making someone named Bruenor. Why? Because it is an anagram for "En Burro". Or spanish for A Small Donkey. A Donkey is called an Ass, and a male donkey is a Jack

*deep breath*

I'm sure WotC isn't INTENTIONALLY calling me a jackass, but the irony is that when I saw the name he picked, the Anagram jumped right out at me.

Okay... Back to the review.

Step one, Choose a race.

Now, me? Step one is, come up with a character concept, but hey that's just me. I'm sure to a noob, it's a good place to start.

The most common player character races are dwarves, elves, halflings, and humans. Chapter 2 provides more information about these races, as well as the less widespread  races of dragonborn, gnomes, half-elves, half-orcs, and tieflings.

Wait wait wait... So our special races are gnomes, half-orcs, half-elves... Dragonborn and teiflings. I will reserve judgement for those last two when I get to chapter 2.

Step two, Choose a class.

Okay, Bob en Burro is going to be a fighter. Why? Because he wants a helmet that has a broken horn on it when he charges into battle. *drums fingers*

Step Three, Determine ability scores.

To begin, you generate ability scores randomly. Roll four 6,sided dice and record the total of the highest three rolls on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five more times, so that you have six numbers.

Optional: Customizing Ability Scores
Start with an 8 in all six ability scores, then spend 27 points to improve them.
Score - Cost
9 - 1
10 - 2
11 - 3
12 - 4
13 - 5
14 - 7
15 - 9

Now... you can randomly generate a number from 3 to 18, or you can only buy your stats up to 15. Somehow this seems insulting to me. I don't know why, I'm not going to judge just yet, but I feel mocked.

Now to find out what these 7 scores do, I have to skip to chapter 7. Since I'm going to do this in order, I find that also a bit insulting, that the first thing I need to do is start treating my book like a god-damn choose your own adventure book, where I'm flipping back and forth between pages.

*happy place.... happy place...* I continue.

They explain Ability modifiers... okay. Simple enough.

Bob en Burro is spending his ability scores like a noob. Unless charisma has changed dramatically, Int gives you more skill points. I'd never take a 8 in int. But... I can't go to chapter 7 to find out, so... moving on.

Ability score summary

I want to get a spreadsheet to explain this crap.

They have it broken down by ability score, not race in the summary. So... Fuck it. Getting a spreadsheet

Timed it. Took me 6 minutes

Okay, they listed the summary by the stat, not by the race, so it was very difficult to compare races. From a gaming stand point, why are they making it more difficult to compare races? Wouldn't you create a summary by the race, not the ability score?

Yes, it's a summary of the ability score, but it's the first time they gave me any indication what the races DO.

Humans get a +1 to everything, for a total +6 to abilities.
Dragonborn, half-orcs, and tieflings get 3.

There is dwarf (2), hill dwarf (1), and mountain dwarf (2).
Elf (2), High elf (1) and wood elf(1)
Gnome (2), Forest gnome (1), Rock Gnome (1)
Halfling (2), Light foot halfling(1) and stout halfling(1)

Str - Dragon born, mountain dwarf, half orc
Dex - Elf, Halfling
Con - Dwarf
Int - Gnome
Wis - everyone who's got wisdom is a 1, so Human wood elf and hill dwarf are tied
Cha - Half-elf, tiefling

I hate WotC for making have to go through the effort to work that all out. They should have done it for me. Bastards.

Step 4: Describe your character

Take your race and ability scores into account.

HOW??? I know NOTHING about my ability scores or race, other then human's rule and everyone else drools.

The example is filling in things they haven't discussed yet, like alignment.
* rubs his forehead *
Bob en Burro has the goal of saving Mithral Hall from the shadow dragon that drove the dwarves out. Does he have a halfling friend with a ring that will turn him invisible?

Step 5, pick equipment

Go to the equipment section, or just choose the standardize list of equipment we picked out for you. No thinking needed.

Step 6, fill in the numbers
Blah blah blah. Standard stuff. not bad.

Okay... this is new...

Proficiency Bonus
The table that appears in your class description
shows your proficiency bonus, which is +2 for a
1st,level character. Your proficiency bonus
applies to many of the numbers you’ll be
recording on your character sheet:

I'm... not sure how I feel about this proficiency bonus thing yet.

SO they did away with saving throws, per say. Now your saving throw is based entirely on your Ability modifiers. So now I have 6 saving throws to worry about, not three. As a player I'd be pissed. As a DM, I like it. Gives me more ways to sneak past your defenses. Okay, maybe charisma isn't a dump stat anymore.

Beyond 1st level

Okay, I'm not getting this XP progression.

300, +400, +1300, +2500, +3500, +5000, +6000, +7000, +9000, +5000, +5000, +5000, +5000, +5000, +10000, +10000, +10000, +10000

Someone explain this to me. What's the logic behind this?

There are four tiers of play.
Apprentice 1-4
Expert 5 - 10
Paragon 11-16
Epic 17-20

okay, I can see that. Access to 9th level spells always struck me as the point one was basically epic in all but name. Still, I can't figure out the logic behind that XP progression.

It's 9k to make it to paragon, but then it's a flat 5k a level until you make it to epic, then it's 10k. Why make it easier after you make it to paragon?

END CHAPTER 1.

Oh dear Gygax in Heaven, give me strength.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
I don't ask questions about 3.54L and I thus I can't testify in court.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:36 AM »
Just a quick note, but your experience point progression doesn't match what I see in the Basic Rules pdf. I'd have to see what you're looking at to compare, but there's a pretty odd discrepancy between those two sources.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Chapter 2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
On to chapter 2: Races

Not every intelligent race of the multiverse is
appropriate for a playerCcontrolled adventurer.
Dwarves, elves, halflings, and humans are the
most common races to produce the sort of
adventurers who make up most parties.
Dragonborn, gnomes, half-elves, half-orcs, and
tieflings are less common as adventurers.

So right here we start out with "LOOK SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES!" Don't include a race in the god-damn PHB then point, "LOOK HOW SPECIAL THIS RACE IS! You won't get to play it, however. Your DM isn't likely to let you play these RARE AND SPECIAL RACES."

Why you making my job harder WotC? Now when some player comes whining to me for a very special snowflake, I'm going to have to smack a bitch. And when I beat him it'll be all your fault.

For example, a halfling could
be a good choice for a sneaky rogue, a dwarf
makes a tough warrior, and an elf can be a
master of arcane magic.

Yes, halflings are sneaky.
Dwarves are tough
Elves make lousy wizards. They have no bonus to any mental stat. High elf has a +1 to int, which is on par with a human who gets a +1 to 5 other stats. Gnomes make masters of the arcane, elves suck at arcane magic.

You know, I find it disturbing that the more I read this, the more it seems like they are deliberately making it a pain in the ass for new players. Like, they are trying to trick you or something. "Hey look! Play an Elven Wizard! They suck at being a wizard, but we made it difficult for you to figure that out, so go play it anyways!"

I'm... trying to be positive here. But Seriously, this is... painful. It hurts my head to try and figure them out. Moving on...

Ergg... Okay... I think they went back to 3.0 version of weapon sizes. Which I don't mind I think it worked better that way. But it's a side bar.

Dwarf
+2 con, 60 feet darkvision, I can gain a free proficiency with brewer's supplies. Okay.

Oh wait... the sub races ADD to the main race... Okay. Need to go fix my spreadsheet.

Okay, Mountain Dwarf now weighs in at 4 points to abilities. Bunch of 3's.
Mountain dwarf is your best bruise so far.
Hill dwarf gets a +1 to wisdom +2 con. Okay.... makes more sense.

Elves
Darkvision, +2 Dex, Trance (recover spells in 4 hours instead of 8. Okay, maybe they do have some perks about being a spellcaster.)
High elf - +1 int
Wood - +1 Wis, Extra +5 speed
Drow +1 Cha, Better darkvision, sensitive to light, and GOD-DMAN DROW IS A PLAYER RACE IN THE PHB!!!  :banghead

I'm CALM! I'm calm... I'm calm. Different setting. Different setting. I can't judge this setting by the old setting. I'm calm.

Halfling
+2 Dex, Rerolls all natural 1s and lives with new roll, can move through larger creature's space.
Light foot +1 cha,
Stout +1 con

Meh.

Human
Okay, you get +1 to everything, Or +1 to two stats , a skill of your choice, and a feat of your choice. So you get +6 when everyone else gets +3, but you don't get darkvision, reistance to poison, hyper-sleep whatever. Seems balanced.... seems.

Uncommon Races
Okay.... Starting with...
Dragonborn

Okay, all dragonborn are hatched from eggs of dragons. +2 str +1 cha, you get a breathweapon... wait a sec...

After you use your breath weapon, you cannot
use it again until you complete a short rest or a
long rest.

I hate it when they use terms out of order. Like I should know what this is. So If I'm a halfling I can only have short rests? *thats sarcasm* WotC, Explain terms before you use them, or tell me where to go find these terms the first time you use them.

The breath weapon... meh. Sure. Why not?

Wait a sec... Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Poison. Huh. Got rid of sonic, did we? Eh, I always thought sonic and force were effectively the same thing, anyways. No biggie. But no explination on how poison does hit point damage...

Gnome
I hate gnomes. Not the stats, the race. Ever since I read dragonlance and the damn tinker gnomes I've hated them. Glad they are a rare race.
+2 int. - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The highest int bonus in the game! Everyone will want to play these bastards!!! I HATE YOU WotC HATE YOUY HATE YOU!!!

*happy place.... happy place....*

Sorry about that.

Actually, they are balanced. I have no complaints about it. The +2 to int and some bonuses to saving throws vrs magic. Not bad.

Forest gnomes get +1 dex
Rock gnomes get +1 con.

Most gnomes in the worlds of
D&D are rock gnomes, including the tinker
gnomes of the Dragonlance setting.

All rock gnomes must die.

They come with the racial ability TINKER. Die Die Die Die Die Die DIe DIE. No. I refuse. It's stupid. NEXT.

Half-Elf
+2 Charisma, +1 to another score. darkvision 60', one skill of my choice
I found my Sorcerer.

Half-Orc
+2 str +1 con
Wow. Relentless endurance, Savage Attacks. Darkvision. Oog smash. He smash well. Thank you for giving some non-spellcasters some love. The half-orc was the bastard step child of 3.5. About time they got some love.

*Shudder*
Tiefling
+1 int, +2 cha - Apparently being half demon makes you HAWT. Otherwise... nothing special.

End of chapter 2.

I really feel this is out of order and I'm mixed about the core races. I never understood WotC's need to jack off all the gnome fans. I'm glad the half-orc and half-elf doesn't suck. I hate the dragonborn and Tiefling which are pure fan service. And I want to know where my warforged are. Humans are, as always, a good solid, middle of the road choice.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »
Just a quick note, but your experience point progression doesn't match what I see in the Basic Rules pdf. I'd have to see what you're looking at to compare, but there's a pretty odd discrepancy between those two sources.

I'm reviewing what I'm reviewing. Making no claims other then, I write what I think as I read it.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
After this, I go to bed. Because I think I will either will be happy with this section, or I will want to drink to forget. Let's journey into...

Chapter 3: Classes
12 classes: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard.

I'm happy about the including Warlock. I thought it was a solid addition to the core classes. I'm unhappy about paladin and ranger. I always felt they would be better served as PrCs. But... meh. No biggie.

barbarian
Okay... No surprises here... The particulars of the math escape me at the moment, but I'm getting the idea. I wish I knew what advantage was, or how many actions I can take in a minute. What resistance means, since it has no stats with it. I like the unlimited rage at level 20. Not the most impressive capstone, but thematic.

Okay... choose a path?

Ability score improvement
I can't increase any ability over 20? huh? *reads back* it says, AS NORMAL, you can't increase over 20 using this feature. It was never mentioned before this point.

Extra attack is a class feature now...
Paths: the frenzy path, Totem path, Ehhh.... meh.

It seems okay.

Bard
bards have 9th level spells. Okay. I can deal.
They have colleges... Okay. not bad.
You know, I could be okay with this.

Cleric
Okay... nothing- Once a week miracle? Ehhh... I hate 1/week powers. But you can use it until it works, assuming you take a nap inbetween attempts...

nope. I hate it. It's annoying as hell for me as a DM.

Turn undead... stat increases... domains... blah blah blah.

Domains of knowledge, light, life, Tempest, Trickery, War

You know, this is what I hated about 4th. You have like... hundreds of domains to choose from and how many do you give us? 6. You give us 6 domains. You want me to be happy with cleric? Give me one hundred domains. Give me something to use, right out of the PHB. You can include dragonborn and drow, you can give me choices.

Druid
Okay Druids have "Circles" Shape changing, Fast spell recovery or super shapeshifter...
Meh. nothing unexpected here.

Fighter
Choose combat style... Ehh.
Martial Archtypes: Crit master, Manuver guy, Gish.
I don't understand the crit system
the maneuvers suck. I guess ToB Spoiled me.
Sucky gish.

*DEEP BREATH* Annnnnnnddd....

MONK
Usual Wis Bonus to AC
Free Finesse?
Extra attack - Dur.
Spend Ki pool... For more attacks? Dodge Bonus to AC? Bonus move? Okay...

Three "ways" of the monk
Whoa. Evasion is now 7th level?
Automatic dispell of mind affecting or fear as an action? Nice.
Hey, Falling is made simpler.
Capstone, unlimited Ki pool recharge.
Hey quiverpalm doesn't suck so much... or does it? I'm not sure if that's alot of damage or not.

Way of shadow... Not bad.

Four elements? Oh, you gte some elemental based spells that you can spend Ki on. You're like a sucky psionist with a really limited spell list.

You know, monk had no where to go but up. Not sure how much, however. I need to get the combat section and roll some dice.

Paladin
5th level spells? Hmm.
Ya know... I can't find where it says you have an alignment restriction.

Okay, Paladins have oaths.
Holy paladin, Nature Paladin, and Kick Evil's ass paladin
Wow. That last one is basically "Paladin with an automatic out when I want to do evil things." as long as you are "greater good" and "any means nessisary" Erg....

And as a capstone, I can get wings. Nice.

Ranger
5th level spells....
Meh. Honestly. Meh. No surprises

Rogue
No Surprises.
Oh, wait... archytype, arcane trickster. Rogue that gets up to 4th level spells. meh.

Sorcerer
Yay! 2nd level spells at 3rd level!
They get "origins" Dragon origin! Ooo...
Metamagic... cool.

No. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! No God damn WILD MAGE SORCERS!!! ARG!
It comes with a STUPID RANDOM TABLE!! in the PHB ! One of the CORE CLASSES it a spellcaster with a built in God-Damn Rod of WONDER!  :banghead

HATE HATE HATE HATE!!! There's always some player who LOVEs these things and then I have to put up with these damn random tables.

Grow a beard of feathers until I sneeze, then it disappears.
I can turn into a potted plant.
A unicorn appears.
Holy crap I can roll save or die spells to use on people to turn them to sheep.
And of course, butterflies. ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN BUTTERFLIES

Do you hate me WotC? Do you hate your DMs? Huh? Is that it? You want to punish us? What did we do you to, WotC?

(click to show/hide)
I'll have to look at this more later. I think it has possibilities.

And finally...

Wizard
Wizards can do a quick recovery of spells during a short rest. Recover half your level in expended spells once a day. Why? because wizards don't cast enough spells, that's why.

You must pick a school, but you no longer must drop a school for specializing. So I get more awesome at one school, but I am still a generalist.

Ya know. I feel drained. I'm going to sleep. I think I'm just going to skip around if I choose to finish this. I already feel...

Look, I like the different "paths" It's like trying to make PrCs built into the base classes. I get it. So tell me. Why do 11 classes get 2 or 3 choices, but wizards get 8?

I'm also quickly thinking that there is no multiclassing. or PrCs, but it's explained out of order, so... whatever.

I may just delete this. I'm just getting a headache and it's pissing me off. I wanted to give this a fair shake but I just feel like its... I dunno. Talking down to me? Yet at the same time trying to confuse me. It doesn't want me to look under the hood. They've worked hard to remove numbers and keep things vague. I can see how in some respects it might streamline things, but in others...

I don't care anymore. I'm going to bed.

BTW, Typing as I read. No editing. Pure reaction, nothing more.

Offline JohnnyMayHymn

• Former Lord of the Kitchen Sink
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 03:18:05 AM »
what are you talking about? everything should be random tables,
The Emperor
Can you find the Wumpus?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
I'm stopping here.

Why? Because I figured out what's been annoying me.

Here's what I want for this game:

50 Domains.
1000 spells.
600 feats
minimum of 15 different options for every base class.
20 base classes.

Before you tell me, "That's allot to ask" my answer is, I already got twice as much in 3.5

That's my problem. Stop dribbling it to me. Write a book called SPELLS. Put in 1500 spells in it. I will buy that. I will buy it because it gives me options. It's like they are dumbing the game down. trying to make it more balanced by limiting the options. That works, but I like my unlimited options. Give me feats. Give me gods. Give me a million options. You have those million options already. Hell, just take my EVD and cut and paste, converting it to your system. Leave out anything I pointed out is broken. I don't need POWERFUL options. Just normal options will be fine.

I'll take a look at this again in 2015 when everything is out at the same time. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to delete this.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
You know what?

I take it back.

If 5th edition goes OGL, TRUE OGL, not this GSL crap, I'll go 5th. Why?

Because I'll convert every single thing in the EVD to 5th, change just enough to avoid getting sued, and publish it on my own as my way of saying, "HERE. :fu This is how you have the best of all possible worlds, WotC."

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
Heh, love the entertaining stream of consciousness rant as you ran through things :). I read the basic rules a few times before I bothered to make conclusions, just for my own sanity.

1. They really needed to just print at the beginning, read chapters 1-X and then come back to chapter 1 before building a character. You can't honestly expect anyone to build a "correct" character until they have a nearly full view of the system anyways. We still have 3.5 Ask A Questions with new folks who post things where there is clearly a knowledge gap. They at least "try" to say, here are your one/two primary stats for a class.

2. Elite Array / Point Buy I believe has always been what they try to "balance" around for playtesting? Roll/Drop has always seemed like the throwback to 2e and Gygax style, and has no place with me.

3. I think a conclusion on race / ability scores is they will largely not matter with the Ability Score Improvement class feature and cap at 20. May be more relevant if you sub the ability scores for feats. Personally I'll be looking for some special mechanic a race provides, rather than the lower level numeric advantage.

4. Proficiency Bonus I appreciate at the very least for making skill checks simpler and far less lopsided, while yet still making sense.

5. Saving Throws, against Basic Rules spells at least, are still the expected saving throws from 3.5. Constitution, Reflex and Wisdom. If you consider 3.5/5e Good Saving Throw/Proficiency, the basic classes look the same in that regard. Fighter: Con. Cleric: Wis, Con. Rogue: Ref. Wizard: Wis. That said, I think they sort of fucked up in terms of readjusting some spells to the new save system. Web still has a Strength check attached, when they could have made it a Strength Saving throw.

6. Advantage/Disadvantage is one of the biggest game changers. It's a huge IP proof built-in. If you look at what I posted in the other thread with the TWF Rogue Sneak attack, you'll get a good idea of what it means at the table, if you don't already have it figured out.

7. I think prepped casters have less slots, so they get that short rest to re-prep, yet cantrips are unlimited and scaling. They also just prepare their list, not slots. So built-in reserve feats, a bit of a jab at the 5 minute caster work day, and more flexibility in some sense. The question is whether safe resting gets handed out prior to Teleport.

8. Note at least how spells have changed in terms of concentration (see buffs especially) and scaling via spell slot instead of caster level. Largely just change those things in terms of updating spells.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
I think it has been remarked how s-curved and looped back, the path of chargen is, in the PDF.
It wouldn't surprise me that the PHB does the same.

Maybe someone will come up with an Engineer Flow Chart soon.
 :)  :tongue
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

That is actually a fucking fantastic idea....

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
I feel like I've actually seen that in a game somewhere before ... but hell if I can remember where.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:29 AM »
Do Drow still have disadvantage on everything during the day?

Offline RelentlessImp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • A pocket full of murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Do Drow still have disadvantage on everything during the day?

Yes. Except it's less of a penalty now. Kind of.

Offline LudicSavant

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
I'm stopping here.

Why? Because I figured out what's been annoying me.

Here's what I want for this game:

50 Domains.
1000 spells.
600 feats
minimum of 15 different options for every base class.
20 base classes.

Before you tell me, "That's allot to ask" my answer is, I already got twice as much in 3.5
  How many of those in 3.5e are actually useful though?  Many spells are reprints or of similar function (with one spell being clearly the best version).  Many domains are similar or bad.  There are tons of trap feats that might as well not exist (Some make Toughness look like a bargain).  The base classes question is the one that seems to have the least objective value, though, because some classes have significantly more versatility in build and can even contain others (for instance, the "Wizard" can make tons of completely different types of characters, whereas a Beguiler is much more limited, and lower tier classes even more limited.  The "Cleric" class can make a better Paladin than the Paladin, and still make a dozen other things.  Conceivably it would even be possible to create a class that could build all other classes).

This isn't a rhetorical question.  I actually want and would use an answer.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:00:58 PM by LudicSavant »

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
This isn't a rhetorical question.  I actually want and would use an answer.

Okay.

I'm going to cut and past from my noob handbook. This originally was someone else's quote, but I agree with it.

(click to show/hide)

Not every spell needs to be awesome. In fact, un-awesome spells often have awesome applications in strange ways when they interact with other non-awesome stuff.

Choice is what's important. Even poor choices. We need poor choices to know the awesome choices are awesome. If we only have the awesome spells, then it gets boring.

D&D isn't about winning. It's about winning with STYLE.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »

That is actually a fucking fantastic idea....

I assume that once it's figured out, 5e CharGen will be easier in many ways, to previous editions.
(certainly not all ways or even most ways, and "assume"-ing)

CapQ ... any of the classes Feel like a 4e Warlord right off the bat?
Or perhaps an in-combat party buffer, is buried somewhere in Cleric or Wiz or ??
Your codpiece is a mimic.