Author Topic: OOC Discussion  (Read 14134 times)

Offline AlisAtAn

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
OOC Discussion
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Board is up!

For now, we`ll use this as a planning thread. Figure out your party roles, feedback on the char creation rules, etc.  Also, if everyone could figure out what they actually want to play (some of you threw out 2-3 different monsters, and others havent hinted at what they want to play yet), and post here for feedback, excellent.

We`ll be off in no time!

We could Summon Dead Celestial Monkey... or, y'know, get a few Bags of Tricks with our WBL.

Bags of Tricks should be mandatory for any self-respecting skill-monkey.

Does the free LA still apply if we use monster classes? I was going to go Tsochar 3 and grab a template on top of that, if it still applies

New rules, Osle`s stuff removes the need for funky houseruling. I`ll get them up later today. For now, you can safely ignore the first post in the old thread. No free LA, but if you have something you desperately want, I`m sure we can work out some way for you to get it on 2nd ECL. We could always play it out like you already were a templated version of your base species, and develop those abilities in the same way as you do your racial stuff. UA buyoff rules would still apply, but dont bring out any stupid stuff, there wont be any "feral, mineral warrior iron golems" in this game.  ;)

I`d rather not have any Tier 1 classes involved... Pretty hard to challenge on higher levels. Sorc is fine, but I`m not that familiar with Psionics. So Sorc, or something else with casting. Beguiler, Dread Necro, Bard, Warmage etc. Beguiler would supplement the innate deceitfulness of your race quite well, I think.  :smirk

At that low level the Tiers are somewhat reversed, (Tier 1 are pretty weak at that level), and at the speed of a forum game I think that we won't play at high levels on Tier 1 can break the game.

I`m really not all that experienced DM`ing, I`m usually the min\maxer
giving the DM high blood pressure (Might we why I`m such a sceptic)... For now, I`ll have to say no, but by the time Wrex gets his casting, I might have reconsidered, if there`s not already too many bumps in the road.  So I guess that`s a maybe, but dont plan on it.

If I missed a question in the old thread, repost here please.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:17:28 PM by AlisAtAn »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
So, one idea I've got is playing this guy here, the Harssaf: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5456.0 which is a monster class I just wrote up. I may end up editing it based on feedback, but the core is there. Basically a finesse melee character.

Although, there are other monsters I'd like to give a shot, depending on party composition. Did everyone else decide what they wanted to play?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
I had been considering playing a Solar, especially as we are likley to be extremely low on spell casters.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
What house rules are we using? Things like max HP per die, skill modifications, feat modifications, etc.

Edit: and if Tsochar would be a nightmare because of the whole bodytheft thing, I can just pick up Tarrasque. Baby Tarasque is sooooo cute! <3
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:39:43 PM by Wrex »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »
Someone was playing a baby Tarrasque in another game I'm in. Depending on how you play it, it's very entertaining. :)

Here, feel free to read up on it if you like: http://plothook.net/RPG/showthread.php?t=20962

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »
Actually, I want to play so many diffrent things, I'll just fill whatever holes there are in the party. Tsochar works nice If I have someone to possess, but I'm not going to grapple a great wyrm red dragon unless I grab the Paragon PrC.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:46 AM »
We're starting at 3rd level... you won't be grappling great wyrm red dragons anytime soon.  :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »
I posted my interests in the other thread.  As usual, I'll be playing some sort of caster...
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
We would buy our stats by point buy? How many points?
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the Gate!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Do you mind if I don't use Myth-weavers, and just post my char sheet in the thread itself?  Here's what my blank looks like.

It seems like we have a couple people who are playing "something depending on the rest of the party".

Daedroth: Iron Golem (literal tank)
Venn: Harssaf (finesse melee)
littha: Solar (casty gisherton)
Wrex: Possibly tentacles, otherwise who knows.
sirp: Firre Eladrin or Ethergaunt [removed couatl]

The Firre would be more of a support guy, with maybe some Gish thrown in.  I'd probably build it to DFI.  However, this class isn't completely polished yet.
The Ethergaunt would probably be a conjurer.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »
We would buy our stats by point buy? How many points?

I should mention a spread of 18 16 16 14 12 10 is what I typically use. It ensures powerful characters, without giving bright, glowing weak points thats scream "HIT ME.", or forcing a character to be mediocre to avoid death by failed save.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
I generally prefer point buy rather than stat arrays. Personal preference and all but a solid 32/34/36 is generally pretty good.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
Throwing my hat in: I am ok with either of those options. :D

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
I tend to do the array but I'm okay with either.  Note that osle intentionally makes a lot of the monster classes MAD, so having nice ability scores would be... nice.

Anyone have a preference between Firre (which is about done) and Ethergaunt?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
I like the potential for group support from Firre Eladrin, as well as the potential to have a party face. Ethergaunt provides some traditional arcane casting, and the potential for diverse abilities depending on which schools you choose. They're both pretty useful. I'd like to see the Firre in play, but either would be fine.

-----------
I see rules have been posted. Let's see...
What happened to starting at ECL 3? Was that just so people could play a decent monster before the monster classes were approved?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:09:30 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline AlisAtAn

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
Char creation rules are here, if I forgot anything, ask. Sorry about the delay, real life got in the way.

Starting ECL 1, I said 3 earlier because of how hard it is to create fun monsters on lvl 1. Osle`s stuff solves that, so you`ll start out... Weak.

32point buy and 2 flaws, since stat placement and feats are fun, and the only way to personalize your build on early levels...

Siper: That setup is fine. If anyone else wants to use his method instead of Myth-Weavers, feel free. Assuming that`s okay with him, ofcourse.  :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
Hmm, I don't usually like starting that low given how slowly PbP progresses and how weak first level chars are, but I suppose it's workable.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »
Guess we just have to hope against (un)lucky criticals then :D

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »
Or change to a monster that's immune to crits? :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
I like the potential for group support from Firre Eladrin, as well as the potential to have a party face. Ethergaunt provides some traditional arcane casting, and the potential for diverse abilities depending on which schools you choose. They're both pretty useful. I'd like to see the Firre in play, but either would be fine.

-----------
I see rules have been posted. Let's see...
What happened to starting at ECL 3? Was that just so people could play a decent monster before the monster classes were approved?

Firre it is, then.  I was leaning toward that myself.