Author Topic: Heya, I'm SavageHomind/Justin  (Read 2621 times)

Offline savagehominid

• Lurker
  • often sarcastic and indulges boisterousness
    • View Profile
    • A Savage Hominid's Soap Box
Heya, I'm SavageHomind/Justin
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
Hey, I'm Savagehominid/Justin! I lurked the old forum occasionally, and have been recently getting more active in the internets forum arena (new to Portland, Oregon...so not a lot of face-to-face socialization yet). You'll see me posting a lot on RPG.net, & TheSpoonyExperiment, and I am more of a lurker on BurningWheel, TheForge, RPGGeek and StoryGames. You can also find me on twitter, and google+.

Roleplaying games are my goto hobby, moving to Portland has allowed me to game more often (there are weekly indie game meetups). I enjoy a lot of games, appreciate the qualities of some, and loathe few. My favorite game is Burning Wheel. The mechanics satisfy an itch for crunch and in-depth advancement, also the rules facilitate player driven play without being pass-the-stick, which while fun wears on me after a few games. However, my favorite part about Burning Wheel is that in play, the game recreates a flavor of fantasy like Tolkien, Smylie, Salmonson, or LeGuin (maybe with a dash of Howard in there too).

Speaking of books, I tend to stick inside the Sci-Fi/Fantasy brackets. Occasionally venturing out to Historical Fiction, Medieval Literature and "Literature". I am very critical of the current state of Fantasy, to be honest, I can't stand the D&D-tropes that have snuck in and watered down the genre (not to mention the ludicrous publishing model). Moving on from rants my favorite authors are; Robert E. Howard (not just of Conan, I actually prefer the moody Bran Mak Morn stories), J.R.R. Tolkien, Philip K. Dick (Valis changed my life), Alan Moore, Fritz Leiber, Mark Smylie, and Christopher Moeller. (Yes, I consider comics literature)

Yes, what else to say? I haven't had a chance to delve into Portland's metal scene, or independent movie theaters (I like high art, and lurid trash...what can I say? I'm pretentious). I hope be an active member of the community, but since I do not play Dungeons & Dragons (I appreciate D&D but it is not to my taste)...we'll see.
IRL - Justin
Twitter - @SavageHominid
Facebook/Google+ - Justin Smith

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Heya, I'm SavageHomind/Justin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Are you on good reads? http://www.goodreads.com/

this is my handle: BG Josh Crowe

Offline savagehominid

• Lurker
  • often sarcastic and indulges boisterousness
    • View Profile
    • A Savage Hominid's Soap Box
Re: Heya, I'm SavageHomind/Justin
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
I am now (on goodreads that is)! I've been looking to flaunt my collection in an online database for awhile.
IRL - Justin
Twitter - @SavageHominid
Facebook/Google+ - Justin Smith