Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion thread  (Read 9684 times)

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
  • Oi! Ask me to proofread!
    • View Profile
Discussion and Suggestion thread
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
And here's the general discussion thread. I'll be getting the rest up shortly.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestion thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
Right. Working on getting everything ported.

Magician and Rider aren't up yet because...

I've yet to convert their tables into photos to upload. I'll get it done in a bit.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »
I've been meaning to give this class a read some time. Any suggestions on where I should start? I'd just read the Sentai, but there are so many Sentai abilities to pick from I'm having trouble grokking the full breadth of the class. It doesn't help that the different abilities have different level requirements but are still sorted only alphabetically, so high level abilities are jumbled together with lower level abilities, and different abilities in the same chain are far away from each other. A summary table would really help, like with feats and spell lists.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
I've been meaning to give this class a read some time. Any suggestions on where I should start? I'd just read the Sentai, but there are so many Sentai abilities to pick from I'm having trouble grokking the full breadth of the class. It doesn't help that the different abilities have different level requirements but are still sorted only alphabetically, so high level abilities are jumbled together with lower level abilities, and different abilities in the same chain are far away from each other. A summary table would really help, like with feats and spell lists.

Start with the base class.  :P

Working on a table to make the abilities less... Terrifying, at the moment. Up to the "H"s. 

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
I remember spending an entire night reading through the Sentai over on gitp.  Glad to see that you've brought it over here.   :)

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
I remember spending an entire night reading through the Sentai over on gitp.  Glad to see that you've brought it over here.   :)

Heh. Thanks.

See anything major that pops out at you as being wrong/overpowered?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
Oh god.....I just remember that overall it was a very cool looking project that seemed very very complicated and that I wanted to be in a party of Power Rangers Sentai.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
Ahhhh... Well, it is awesome, and complicated, and would work for a party of Power Rangers Sentai and Masked Rider Kamen Riders.

ALSO, got the Magician and Rider archetypes up.

An important thing that I should probably ask now is this: what do you associate with outsider (fiend, celestial) themed MotWs? Keep in mind the idea is a class in the same power range as a Warblade.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:59:16 PM by The-Mage-King »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
a party of Power Rangers Sentai and Masked Rider Kamen Riders.
Masked Rider, what's that. Sorry, you must have imagined it.

Indeed, I must have.
The abomination is the same degree as tastelessness as Comic Sans. Hence, using it.

Anyway, stuff. The table of abilities, for one. That thing was hellish to make.

And I'm going to need to update it at some point.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
For my own personal use (you can use it too if you like), here's your table sorted by minimum level instead of alphabetically. I also noted a few of the chains you missed.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Definetely pretty cool project you have here, taking some time to read it properly in detail.

Combat Theme-Beast, the Intimidate check is suposed to be opposed by another Intimidate check, or does it work as the Demoralize option of intimidate?

An ability that may need a buff is the Dual Justice ability. Dealing two kinds of elemental damage isn't that useful, in particular when the damage wasn't that big to begin with. And with all the other sentai abilities available, I can't see myself ever stoping to pick Dual Justice, besides as prerequisite for the Improved version. I would sugest something like minor improved damage to Strike of Justice.

Favored Technique+White Raven Tactics=?

Fearless Bravado is kinda screaming to have an ally throw area fear effects to buff you, not sure if intended.

Hero's Pose has no range limit? Seems kinda abuseable with leadership-style ability getting a bunch of sentai on the horizon inflicting massive penalty.

Immutable Heroism-Tecnically there's no such thing as level damage or level drain, just energy drain and negative levels.

Inhuman Henshin-What happens to your HP if you turn into an undead/construct?

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
Definetely pretty cool project you have here, taking some time to read it properly in detail.

Combat Theme-Beast, the Intimidate check is suposed to be opposed by another Intimidate check, or does it work as the Demoralize option of intimidate?

Opposed by Intimidate.

An ability that may need a buff is the Dual Justice ability. Dealing two kinds of elemental damage isn't that useful, in particular when the damage wasn't that big to begin with. And with all the other sentai abilities available, I can't see myself ever stoping to pick Dual Justice, besides as prerequisite for the Improved version. I would sugest something like minor improved damage to Strike of Justice.

Hm... Does +1/die damage sound good?

No sane DM allowing it, though I think I may need to put a limit on that...

Hm....

Fearless Bravado is kinda screaming to have an ally throw area fear effects to buff you, not sure if intended.

Screaming like a loon with a bear-shirt. :P

Hero's Pose has no range limit? Seems kinda abuseable with leadership-style ability getting a bunch of sentai on the horizon inflicting massive penalty.

Annnnddd adding a limit to that. Medium range seem good?

Immutable Heroism-Tecnically there's no such thing as level damage or level drain, just energy drain and negative levels.

...Dammit, that wasn't supposed to read like that... Fixing, so much.

Inhuman Henshin-What happens to your HP if you turn into an undead/construct?

Treated as, not gains the type. Undead/Constructs keep Con.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »

Hm... Does +1/die damage sound good?
Yes.

No sane DM allowing it, though I think I may need to put a limit on that...

Hm....
I would sugest that you can only use the maneuver 1/round (WRT gives an extra turn, but the round is the same).

Annnnddd adding a limit to that. Medium range seem good?
I would say close would be better because it's a no-save ability. A party of 4 sentais, one starting with hero's pose and the others supporting inflicts a straight -5 penalty to saves and AC, which is pretty nasty.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
And changes made. I'll work on getting the PrC's added here, too.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »
Now then. I need some suggestions. Anyone know of a homebrewed Discipline that would fit as a common fighting style of Kaijin? So far, I've got a rough plan set up- Kaijin are full BAB, sentai maneuver progression. They focus more on being big, beefy things that can rip your face off than Sentai do, and get an automatic "track" of abilities that are themed around creature types.

Animals, magical beasts, ect, get lumped into Beast. Nets claws, Monstrous humanoid type if advantagous, fast healing, and physical ability score bonuses.

Constructs are... Constructs. Get slams, DR, Something, and construct (Living Construct) type.

Undead are... Undead. Negative energy healing, energy resistances-->immunities, fortification, and immunity to negative levels, ect.

Eldritch is about half done. Based on outsiders. Something, fire/acid resistance, wings, and then probably Outsider (Native) (Alignment). Not sure.

Draconic is being thought about.

Anyone got ideas? Note that that's not all they get- there'll be some stuff scattered around too. That's just the way I've got 'em split into themes at the moment.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
There needs to be some way for a kaijin to transform into a human*, for kaijin who originally were human, disguise themselves as humans, or perform the obligatory once-per-season "monster impersonates a ranger" plot. Maybe make the "single unique humanoid form" variety a race.

*Undetectably but with something that forces them to reveal themselves - seeing holy symbols, trying to eat spicy food, etc.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:48:32 AM by Prime32 »

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »
There is, as a class feature, since being a Kaijin provides a penalty on positive Cha based checks made against creatures of your original type.

Lets you take on your humanoid form, but seals away most of your gimmicky stuff.

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 03:37:45 AM »
So, just added the most recent update I made from Giantitp.

6 abilties contributed by some folks on the pad that I was using, and I'm thinking about a potential  new archetype to add.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:40:19 AM by The-Mage-King »

Offline zhdarkstar

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
I saw the new forum link in the GitP thread and decided to join over here to keep up with everything..

Edit: I came up with an idea for the Kaijin 12th level Construct Track. Perhaps gaining an ability to natural weapon equal to the enhancement bonus.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:41:16 PM by zhdarkstar »