Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144145 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Giant Centipedes do; it paralyzes anyone it reduces to 0 HP for an hour.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
I think you mixed the names there, Giant Constrictor Snakes with Giant Poisonous Snakes.
The Constrictor is CR 2 & Large, but the Poisonous one is legal and has +6 melee 1d4+4 +3d6 poison making it awesome.

Speaking of pets, the expanded Familiars in the MM grant their master Magic Resistance (advantage on saves vs magic). The Imp is probably the best Familiar choice, like the Quasit it has Invisibility & flight for spying but the "advanced" Familiars can quit their jobs. The Quasit can stop being your Familiar at any time for any reason and the Psudodragon isn't much better, the Imps are noted to be loyal and cannot leave unless you violate the contract.

And if you go back and read the Find Familiar Spell, you can retype the Imp into a Celestial. :)

Edit - Oh, and flip to page 44 of the MM and read the entry. Then the Necromancer's quote.  :smirk
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:37:48 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »
Dude, I got the name right the first time, and then typo'd.

And mentioned the 3d6+Proficiency Poison damage.

Because Ranger Companions add your Proficiency to all of their attack rolls, damage rolls, AC, proficient saves, and proficient skills. And the Poison is a separate damage roll.

That's why they can get so crazy-awesome; they also get boosted HP.

But still, Giant Owl. Has it's own language. (And the quotes are some of the best things in the MM. The Rust Monster entry has a great one.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 09:15:55 PM »
...Yes, anyway;

With the heads up I poked around and according to the MM the following languages exist.
Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Blink Dog, Bullywug, Celestial, Common, Deep Speech, Draconic, Druid, Dwarvish, Elvish, Giant, Giant Eagle, Giant Elk, Giant Owl, Gith, Gnoll, Gnomish, Goblin, Grell, Hook Horror, Ignan, Infernal, Modron, Orc, Otyugh, Primordial, Sahuagin, Slaad, Sphinx, Sylvan, Terran, Thieves, Thri-kreen, Troglodyte, Umber Hulk, Undercommon, Winter Wolf, Worg, and Yeti. And the PHB has Halfling bringing the count up to 42.

Two special notes, Primordial allows you to speak Auran, Aquan, Ignan, and Terran (and apparently primordial?). The secret languages "Thieves Cant" & Druid can both be learned with DM permission.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:25:38 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
Extra Dimensional Storage
(1) Find Familiar Spell (PHB p240)
(2) Have familiar hold item (Carrying capacity is Strength Score x 15, PHB p176)
(3) Dismiss familiar as per spell "As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons." (PHB 240)

This could be useful for storing your spellbook (3 lbs) or other highly valuable item(s) of limited weight and size.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
In going through the magic items, there are a good number of crowd control items that would be useful to have familiars use their action on, assuming its all legal... I've not looked into what they can/can't do.

---

The point of inflicting the poisoned status, and not just poison damage, aside from any specific paralysis/slow/etc is for the juicy disadvantage on attack rolls.
Basic poison, which can be cheap/infinite depending on what items you craft, doesn't seem to cause the status
Granted I think the immune types are most celestials, elementals, fiends, contructs and undead, so as usual, it's not universally useful.

A number of potential animal companions only trigger poisoned status on poison damage to 0hp, which is near useless, unless you intend to capture.

Quasit and Pseudodragon has inherent poison claws that inflict poisoned status.
Also seems like one could create a Homunculus

Non-0hp poisoned status natural attack or special attack (non weapon/ammo)
Carrion Crawler
Chuul
Couatl
Dretch
Hezrou
Quasit
Vrock
Yochlol
Bearded Devil
Bone Devil
Pit Fiend
Ettercap
Flumph
Ghast
Grell
Homunculus
Myconid Sovereign
Otyugh
Pseudodragon
Thri-Kreen
Troglodyte
Death Dog

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
One thing I want to simply point out is the magic item Insignia of Claws from Horde of the Dragon Queen

This item makes natural attacks magical, and it's uncommon, making it well within reason to craft.

Given the large number of creatures that are either resistant or immune to non-magical attacks, this is rather important for anyone who wants to try and build a natural attacker (see Lycanthrope template). That said, if you want to be a tormenting DM, don't ever give your players access to magic weapons :fu.

Paladin, War Domain Cleric, Wizard have Magic Weapon on their list. Magic Weapon doesn't explicitly state whether natural attacks are a valid target.
Monk 6 grants Ki Empowered Strikes.
Magic Fang does not exist.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 02:30:51 AM »
@Necrosnoop

With the ingame functionality being:
"I'm sure(!) this isn't a Bag of Holding! But I'll check for sure. Hey Quasit, hold onto this for me for a sec, could you?"

Tests......

"We're here guys!"

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:48:32 AM by sambojin »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
SorO's Language list ... wow that's a lot longer than 3e or 4e. 

Improves the value of Comprehend Languages for sneaking, and Tongues or Telepathy in general.  Good thing every party has a Wizard  :tongue
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 08:25:07 PM »
Makes the great old one patron for warlocks seem a fair bit better too.

"I spend my non-adventuring days speaking to the elks. The big ones."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
idk, if I were to play a Warlock I'd make a pact with Cthulhu (which incidentally is mentioned by name as a choice).

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
@Necrosnoop

With the ingame functionality being:
"I'm sure(!) this isn't a Bag of Holding! But I'll check for sure. Hey Quasit, hold onto this for me for a sec, could you?"

Tests......

"We're here guys!"
:)  :lmao Bat of Holding

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:38 AM »
The poor man's banishment.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »

"I spend my non-adventuring days speaking to the elks. The big ones."

idk, if I were to play a Warlock I'd make a pact with Cthulhu (which incidentally is mentioned by name as a choice).

:twitch ... my kitty avatar's Tail finds this to be rather insulting ; I haven't figured out why, though.

:)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Why?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
Do you how things are written, it appears a Paladin can double to triple (or more) Smite.

* X Smite Spells have a Casting Time of 1 Bonus Action and set up your next attack to additional do X.
* Divine Smite has no action, simply expend a Paladin Slot for bonus damage on each hit. No limitation on usage per round.

So at the second level (sadly once per day :p) the Paladin can nova both his Slots for +2d8+1d6 Fire/Psychic. It's not much but by level 20 this grows to +5d8+5d10 on the first hit with a second Divine Smite on his Extra Attack at +4d8 which is worth a total +68 damage.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
what is the strongest familiar?

i think familiars make really good thieves now, if they can just pop back to their pocket and chill w/ the loot.

EDIT: to me, it looks like Pseudodragon w/ a 6 strength, x15 carrying capacity =90lb? can your familiar take you to its 'special place'? (if you are light enough)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:23:39 PM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Owls got a lot of attention back at wotc, even it's own thread.

After talking to my kitty avatar's Tail last night ... it speaks to Cthulhu, and made a Pact with an Elk.

It's like that old star trek episode where the White/Black face aliens were racist toward the Black/White face aliens.

I don't get my kitty avatar's Tail sometimes.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
EDIT: to me, it looks like Pseudodragon w/ a 6 strength, x15 carrying capacity =90lb? can your familiar take you to its 'special place'? (if you are light enough)
Sure, history has recorded the disappearance of countless Wizards that vanished into an extraplanar space only to realize than upon summoning their Familiar can only appear beside them, trapping them for all eternity.

Did the materiel really run through a playtest? o.o

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Sure, history has recorded the disappearance of countless Wizards that vanished into an extraplanar space only to realize than upon summoning their Familiar can only appear beside them, trapping them for all eternity.

Did the materiel really run through a playtest? o.o

Pseudodragon has to gather treasure somehow... and it can 'keep you safe' forever
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.