Author Topic: Is Inspire Greatness the only source of temporary HD in 3E AND Pathfinder?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
I can't recall any player character accessible methods of gaining temporary hit dice in either 3E or PF aside from the Bard's Inspire Greatness, and searching the PF SRD fails to find anything either. Seems odd to be that something that exists in core was never used elsewhere.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
I want to say there's an exalted class that can grant some too, but I could be wrong

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Initiate of Ilmater feat :
"When you cast any cure spell that would cure more damage than the target has taken, the target gains the excess as temporary hit points. You can bestow a number of temporary hit points equal to the target's Hit Dice ׳ in this manner. These temporary hit points last up to 1 hour."
... gets into the ballpark.

Verdant Lord prc 8 :
"The animated tree gains a number of bonus Hit Dice equal to the number of verdant lord levels the character possesses."
... suspicious they fubar'd doing a plant Animal Companion port.
edit --- but obviously not what you want.

Lots of mount based stuff, which I'm presuming you aren't talking about.

edit = metoo
I shouldn't post late at night...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:27:59 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
I want to say there's an exalted class that can grant some too, but I could be wrong

Celestial Choir doubles the effects of Inspire Greatness, but otherwise can't find any.

kelbpanthera

There's an artifact in the Bastion of Broken Souls adventure. The soul totem will grant one positive level if you have two of its pieces & three positive levels if you have all three pieces. Fair warning; canonically, the gods don't want anyone to have all three pieces and the cult of Ashardalon seeks it on behalf of their would-be-god.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile

Celestial Choir doubles the effects of Inspire Greatness, but otherwise can't find any.

And Song of the Heart feat increases it by 1, so you can get a total of 5 or 6 depending on the order they stack.

Unfortunately, other hit dice granting options seem to be limited in scope to NPCs or companions, not player characters.
Hmm.