Author Topic: [3.5 and PF Separately] Best Scrolls?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
[3.5 and PF Separately] Best Scrolls?
« on: July 25, 2020, 12:24:42 AM »
I'm not aware of any full list of spells that should be had as scrolls.

The general consensus for scrolls is well established, that they should meet the following criteria
1: A spell should only be useful occasionally, as if it was regularly needed you’d learn/prepare it normally
2: The spell should be needed immediately, not after rest
3: The spell should be fine with a low CL and save DC
We’re excluding cheese that lets you reuse them infinitely (Razmiran Priest) ect., for obvious reasons

Core spells for both systems
Comprehend Languages/Tongues: Never know who you need to speak to or what you’ll find inscribed in old ruins.
See Invisibility: Lets you find an invisible attacker, preferably followed by hitting them with Glitterdust ect..
Condition Removers: My party members aren’t always blinded/deafened/turned to stone/running in terror/cursed/sick/poisoned/diseased, but when they are, I want them fixed ASAP. Less useful in PF where they’ve been overhauled to require CL checks, but still notable for Mnemonic Vestments on spontaneous casters.
Magic Weapon: At very low levels this might save you from DR/Magic or incorporeal. Obsolete by level 4.
Bless Weapon: Likewise, but not obsolete unless all your weapon wielders are rocking holy and/or smite. For PF, aligned weapon is useful for the lesser chance of law/chaos/evil DR.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 and PF Separately] Best Scrolls?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:25:39 AM »
Following for the off chance I put anything listed into my Scroll Handbook dealio. Never really got around to caring about finishing any spell suggestions for it.

How does the Razmiran Priest do infinite scrolls? This is the first I am hearing about it in regards to them (though I vaguely remember it being open for abuse before).
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
It allows you to cast a spell on a divine scroll using your sorcerer slots instead of expending the scroll. May better be described as nigh-infinite reuse unless the user is immortal somehow, but whatever.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:24:52 AM »
Ah spiffy.
A+

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:55 AM »
High level Summon Monster spells make good scrolls. So do walls, Planar Binding, Simulacrum, Time Stop, and Gate spells, of course. Teleport is similarly handy so your party can always escape in a pinch (assuming it's a 4-man party). Breath of Life can be a decent scroll to keep on you, but then you'll probably want to either keep it in your hands or have some means of drawing a scroll that's faster than a move action.

At low levels, Create Pit spells can be used as scrolls as well. Sure the reflex save is easy to beat, but that still leaves a pit in the middle of the battlefield.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 12:09:45 AM »
It is super expensive comparatively, but Spellscribed Armor allows you to have effective scrolls put on top of armor:

Spellscribed Armor

Source: PZO9467

The myriad of threats that adventures face often go well beyond mere weapons, so many spellcasters trained in the use of armor seek to augment it with spells.

Any spellcaster with both Craft Magic Arms and Armor and either Scribe Scroll or Brew Potion can create spellscribed armor. A single suit of armor can be inscribed with a number of spells equal to its base armor bonus (not including its enhancement bonus).

For example, a suit of breastplate armor (which has a +6 armor bonus) can have up to six spells inscribed on it. If you are using the piecemeal armor rules, only a piece of armor that grants an armor bonus can be spellscribed.

The maximum level for spells contained in spellscribed armor depends on the type of armor being inscribed.

Light armor, a buckler, or a light shield can hold up to 3rdlevel spells; medium armor or a heavy shield can hold up to 6th-level spells; heavy armor or a tower shield can hold up to 9th-level spells.

An inscribed spell is a spell-completion item that only the wearer of spellscribed armor may activate, and only if he is proficient with the type of armor worn. The inscribed spell vanishes when activated. The inscribed spell must be visible to the wearer and must be touched as part of its activation. Otherwise, suits of spellscribed armor are treated as scrolls (except that using them doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity) and use the rules for spell-completion items.

The process to create spellscribed armor requires access to expensive etching and scribing materials worth an amount of gold pieces equal to the inscribed spell’s level × the creator’s caster level × 100 (plus the price of any expensive material components).

Spells inscribed on armor can be dispelled as if they were separate magic items (treat them as scrolls), wholly independent of the suit of armor on which they are etched.

Table: Magic Armor and Shields

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/
A+