Author Topic: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions  (Read 58411 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
I'm good at proofreading.   :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
By the way, here is the barbarian I statted up using your barbarian class.   :)

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
VERY rough draft of Tiger Paladin added.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
Rough Raven Archivist up.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
I like the flavor of those abilities, really cool.  By the way, did you change the Archivist in any way for Verold?

Overall issues: your table doesn't match your abilities, and are you subbing any abilities, or just giving some?  Looking over this and the Archivist, I think you might want to sub the abilities that they gain at those levels.  See below for details.

For the first one, I'd remove Lore Mastery, and change it to this Clan Knowledge.  Have Clan Knowledge scale as Lore Mastery did, and grant the same bonus, but it can only be applied to one of the knowledges that Clan Knowledge would apply to.

For the second one, I'd remove the 1/week restriction.  I was contemplating saying 1/day with an hour of study, but I changed my mind.  Just make it a day's study, that way they can change it whenever, but it takes 24 hours.  Gives it a little more of an eclectic feel, without letting them change mid-day.  Remember, you are giving them a penalty to all knowledges except one.  I would have this replace Still Mind.

For the last one, I'd simply remove the bonus feat at that level.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
I like the flavor of those abilities, really cool.

Thanks. :D

By the way, did you change the Archivist in any way for Verold?

I did not.

your table doesn't match your abilities

Whoops. Switched the name when I decided I wanted it to be a Devotion feat to give a small synergy with Knowledge Devotion, because I thought that having multiples granted extra uses. But only of the same one. And Archivists don't gain TU. Fixing.

I think you might want to sub the abilities that they gain at those levels.

That's what I had intended. I'll make it more clear.

Have Clan Knowledge scale as Lore Mastery did, and grant the same bonus, but it can only be applied to one of the knowledges that Clan Knowledge would apply to.

I was intending to just replace the first Lore Mastery with Clan Knowledge.

For the second one, I'd remove the 1/week restriction.  I was contemplating saying 1/day with an hour of study, but I changed my mind.  Just make it a day's study, that way they can change it whenever, but it takes 24 hours.  Gives it a little more of an eclectic feel, without letting them change mid-day.[/quote]

Very good point. With a 24 hour time anyway, it would be hard to exploit in situations where you didn't have the time to wait a week if you have the time to wait a day.

Any suggestions on how to tidy up the Tiger Paladin?

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
Also threw up a coyote dn outline

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
What did you base racial LA on?

Also you have a lot of stuff, where do i begin?  You focused on feats or prc's or racial levels currently?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:01:39 PM by bhu »

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
Coyote first.

Is Handle Undead a new skill?  Because I'm not familiar with it.  I'm assuming it's just a new skill that I don't know about...so cool, I think this might be a required addition to DN vanilla, not just the sub levels.

Stitched Flesh Familiar seems to be...powerful...you don't give anything up, you just alter the familiar?  Gain feats?  I mean, it is just a familiar (most powerful class ability, you know), but still.  Eh, it's probably fine.

Lost Pack seems to be really powerful...You don't give anything up, but all undead animals gain an additional HD?  And no, you don't give up the familiar, remember.  You moved the familiar to an earlier spot.

Shadow Growth....wow....again, really powerful.  But maybe confusing.  Okay, so say you use negative Energy Burst.  Do you use Charnal Touch to roll for the duration?  Or something else?  Maybe simplify it bay saying it lasts for a number of rounds equal to your class level.

This one is less inspired than the Raven Archivist....Also, all power questions fly out the window if you intended it to be more powerful than the vanilla DN.  But you might want to change the vanilla one, and then add in true substitute abilities, rather than just add some.

Tiger Paladin:

The first ability needs to change.  I don't even know what the last sentence is trying to say.  For the power, it seems to be REALLY powerful.  I'd definitely take this over a non Tiger paladin.  Effectively, you are granting the level 7 detection ability at this level.  And they are protected by a non-magical avoid detection spell, because they don't give off any aura (and every aura) for alignment.  I think make it take a swift action to change your effective alignment.  The third ability would work best with this change, as well.

The second ability should be made more clear that it's an aura Tiger paladins can choose, not a new ability.  Also, you should probably add a third ability.  I don't know what, but most racial subs have three modified levels.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »
What did you base racial LA on?

Only Wolves have an LA within the setting, the rest are meant to be balanced with each other, provided their strengths are used intelligently. A Ferret will, of course, not be as good a bruiser as a Bear.

The Wolf's LA was set at one because they are essentially getting 3 powerful feats, but the benefit of those feats does not scale well enough to be worth saccing 2 levels.

Also you have a lot of stuff, where do i begin?  You focused on feats or prc's or racial levels currently?

Focused on racial levels currently, but feel free to start wherever you would like.  :love

Coyote first.

Is Handle Undead a new skill?  Because I'm not familiar with it.  I'm assuming it's just a new skill that I don't know about...so cool, I think this might be a required addition to DN vanilla, not just the sub levels.

Yes, new skill. Listed in the summary thread. Basically Handle Animal for mindless undead. It would make sense as a standard addition, which is why it's given on top of the standard 3 replacements. I may make a note in the houserules section as well (or on the skill itself), but unless I decide there's too much else wrong with the DN, don't think it's worth making a DN fix just to include.

Stitched Flesh Familiar seems to be...powerful...you don't give anything up, you just alter the familiar?  Gain feats?  I mean, it is just a familiar (most powerful class ability, you know), but still.  Eh, it's probably fine.

Lost Pack seems to be really powerful...You don't give anything up, but all undead animals gain an additional HD?  And no, you don't give up the familiar, remember.  You moved the familiar to an earlier spot.

Good point. I think I was intending for something else to be lost along the way, but I don't remember what it was. Got any suggestions?

S
hadow Growth....wow....again, really powerful.  But maybe confusing.  Okay, so say you use negative Energy Burst.  Do you use Charnal Touch to roll for the duration?  Or something else?  Maybe simplify it bay saying it lasts for a number of rounds equal to your class level.

If you use Negative Energy Burst or Charnal Touch to heal it lasts for up to 6 rounds, based on how much healing your Charnal Touch does, which is 1+1/4 levels. Round/lvl would be super duper strong, especially for Burst.

This one is less inspired than the Raven Archivist....Also, all power questions fly out the window if you intended it to be more powerful than the vanilla DN.  But you might want to change the vanilla one, and then add in true substitute abilities, rather than just add some.

I honestly put more thought into this one than the Raven Archivist, but I think "less inspired" is definitely the right phrase, it was a bit harder to get out.

It was intended to be a slight power boost, just like the Wolf Warmage, but also to focus more on larger groups of weak mindless undead instead of a few very powerful ones; kind of a flip on the Coyote Druid sub level.

The first ability needs to change.  I don't even know what the last sentence is trying to say.

I said I was having difficulty with the wording... ;) I'll attempt to clarify, and maybe just should in the feat. If he is good/evil neutral, he treats both as opposed alignments, likewise if he is law/chaos neutral. So a TN Tiger Paladin would treat all other alignments as opposed, which mainly benefits auras and some smites.

For the power, it seems to be REALLY powerful.  I'd definitely take this over a non Tiger paladin.  Effectively, you are granting the level 7 detection ability at this level.  And they are protected by a non-magical avoid detection spell, because they don't give off any aura (and every aura) for alignment.  I think make it take a swift action to change your effective alignment.  The third ability would work best with this change, as well.

I hadn't realized it would be so powerful, but you're right, so many other items hinge on the Paladin's alignment even though the option is no longer restricted that this affects a lot. Making it an action to switch effective instead of counting as all potential sounds like it would limit that well though.

The second ability should be made more clear that it's an aura Tiger paladins can choose, not a new ability.  Also, you should probably add a third ability.  I don't know what, but most racial subs have three modified levels.

True, but I wanted it to mirror the Crane sub levels, which also offer a new aura as an option (creating the need to give up one of the other aura choices) in place of simply granting an ability.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
WHich races have the least feats/material?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »
Uh, Charnal Touch, unless you changed it, is 1d8+1/level....  So at level 7, your minimum is 8....wait, it's 1d8+1/4 levels.  So at level 7 your max is 9, and min is 2, average of 5.5.  We were both wrong!  But I think you should balance it based on what the abilities actually are.  I'm not too sure what that should be right now honestly...

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
WHich races have the least feats/material?

The ones in red at the top of the racial sub levels don't have all 3 of theirs done. And Ferrets and Coyotes have 2 racial feats each; Rats, Tigers, and Boars have 1 racial feat each; and the others don't have any so far.

wait, it's 1d8+1/4 levels.

When used to damage. When used to heal it's only 1+1/4 levels.  Since it happens when healing anyway, I thought the lower value was better for balance.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2012, 03:49:26 AM »
I'll start trying to think of something there then

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
Fixed Tiger Paladin wording a bit, can switch effective alignment as swift action, but don't count as all potential any more. Smites similarly changed, hopefully much more clear now.

Also switched up DN a bit. Growth only affects NEB, but lasts twice as long, since it's a /day, but has to heal each round to keep going. Also dropped familiar completely and rolled stitched flesh familiar into a boost of the racial companion. Included a link to Handle Undead.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:26 AM »
Possible Raven Feats:

Eye Peck
You can blind opponents by gouging at their eyes (or near them, obscuring their vision with blood).
 Prerequisites: Raven
 Benefits:

Experimental Magic (Metamagic)
You have tinkered with a spell permanently changing it's effects when you cast it.
 Prerequisites: Raven, Any two metamagic Feats
 Benefits:

Craft Poison(Item Creation)
Your need for vengeance has led you to experiment with magical toxins.
 Prerequisites: Raven, Craft (Alchemy) 6 ranks, must be Evil, must know at least 3 spells from the Necromancy school
 Benefits:

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 12:40:30 AM »
We firing this back up Ejo?

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
We firing this back up Ejo?

Yea, just been super busy with work the last few weeks.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
OMG... Time to write with? What is this, I don't even...

For the raven poison feat, I'm thinking a more general allowing them to apply their Tireless Research to Craft (alchemy) checks and a special note that it also applies to Craft (Poison) if you use the separate rules. But I'm not sure that alone is worth a feat. Maybe a numeric boost as well? Though looking at the racial, I should probably specify it applies to the magical crafting feats as well, since it was intended to; but they are separate from alchemy.

I'm honestly not sure what to do with the experimental magic idea that either isn't already covered by other metamagic feats or wouldn't need essentially an entirely new system to support. And permanently applying a metamagic effect to a spell for a lesser penalty than preparing the spell with it is already covered by other feats, no?

I'm not sure about Eye Peck, because they don't have a bite attack in either form, since the base animal does not. And two feats to get a bite and then a status effect on it for a non-physical based race seems like a lot, but even for a non-physical race, one feat for a new attack AND a status seems like a lot.

Also, I'm considering changing Dark Companion. I like everyone being able to take it, but it's a bit low return for a feat AND a class ability sac, plus that turns the Hexblade sub into "free feat." Been thinking of changing it to a generic alternate class ability, allowing anyone with a familiar to take it.

I'm also possibly considering a feat (or two) that then recombines it with the familiar. So your familiar is a standard familiar + the debuffing of the Dark Companion.

Also, possibly, allowing it to replace/recombine with ACs and special mounts...

But I'm not sure on the power changes that would cause (especially for AC/mount) or how to format/place it. Inefficient to list it as a duplicate entry on all classes that might use, but if not, where to put it so it is seen without standing out as an eye sore. And if I do a separate area, what to give Hexblades in trade?

I'm also thinking that I either want to make the Coyote Ranger sub levels have multiple companions, like the Beastmaster, or drop it in place of Wilderness Rogue sub that adds a companion to recreate the PHB Ranger. Thoughts?

And I'm gonna write up fluff for the Raven Archivist and Coyote DN and move them and Tiger Paladin to finished unless anyone has more suggestions for them?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
RE:

Eye Peck: Their racial description says they have a beak in hybrid form, perhaps a beak attack could be a feat for raven warriors,  Mebbe a poison beak...

Experimental Magic: Perhaps a failed save vs a spell leaves the victim temporarily vulnerable to poison.

Craft Poison: Turning necromantic spells like Poison into potions (especially higher level spells that wouldn't normally be potions).