Author Topic: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime  (Read 308739 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime
« Reply #680 on: November 21, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
Making weapon damage types and shield use matter a bit more.

Masterwork and magic armor and shields give DR while in use. The magnitude of the DR is based on the base armor/shield bonus of the item in question (excluding the enhancement bonus, if any). Non-magical masterwork is half the base armor/shield bonus (rounded down, as usual), magic is the base armor/shield bonus times the item's enhancement bonus. Non-magical, non-masterwork armor and shields don't give DR. DR from a shield or armor's material (such as adamantine) stacks with the DR it provides.

Armor gives DR bypassed by one or more damage types.
- Light armor: DR/piercing or slashing
   - Chain shirt: DR/bludgeoning or piercing
- Medium armor: DR/piercing
   - Hide armor: DR/slashing
   - Breastplate: DR/bludgeoning
- Heavy armor: DR/bludgeoning

Shields give DR/-. Does not stack with DR from armor.

Numbers undoubtedly require adjustment.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 21, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
Two things: first, like the idea, although certain armours like an exotic/exotic combination would allow soaking 15 DR in a lot of situations, which would need to be accounted for.

Second, welcome back! :D

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 22, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »

Masterwork and magic armor and shields give DR while in use. The magnitude of the DR is based on the base armor/shield bonus of the item in question (excluding the enhancement bonus, if any). Non-magical masterwork is half the base armor/shield bonus (rounded down, as usual), magic is the base armor/shield bonus times the item's enhancement bonus. Non-magical, non-masterwork armor and shields don't give DR. DR from a shield or armor's material (such as adamantine) stacks with the DR it provides.

Armor gives DR bypassed by one or more damage types.
- Light armor: DR/piercing or slashing
   - Chain shirt: DR/bludgeoning or piercing
- Medium armor: DR/piercing
   - Hide armor: DR/slashing
   - Breastplate: DR/bludgeoning
- Heavy armor: DR/bludgeoning

Shields give DR/-. Does not stack with DR from armor.

Numbers undoubtedly require adjustment.

Only problem I can see at the moment is the shields not stacking. Might be difficult to implement from a balance perspective but to me at least anything that makes sword and board better is a good thing. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use sword and board in 3.5...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 22, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
Ah, I missed the not stacking the first time around. That just makes shields worthless like they already are, because you're going to have DR from armour, so might as well ignore the shield and go two handed again. Only if the shield gives something important and extra is carrying one worthwhile, which I think the extra DR would qualify as. Or at least be interesting enough to consider.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 22, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

I've been working on that.
But it is heavily simulationist/historical and I'm not sure how interesting or functional it would be.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 23, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 27, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Pet Rock Edition

Trapper (which can be found in AD&D, the Tome of Horror Revised, and Paizo stuff) - functions like an Alien queen, sitting around laying eggs which hatch into different forms:

Guards and Cavern Hunters
Ropers - shapes itself like a stalagmite and controls the others
Lurkers - shaped like a trapper but floats on the ceiling, animal intelligence
Darkmantles and Piercers - animal intelligence creatures that shape themselves like stalactites

Spies
Cloakers - highly intelligent, smaller versions of lurkers that can disguise themselves as cloaks, they supervise the
Mimics - disguise themselves as furniture

Replacements
Doppelgangers - the "ultimate" form, able to "replace" humanoids

This is a whole group of critters sharing the shtick of having leathery that they can control to disguise themselves as stone, wood, or leather, needing only a tweak on doppelgangers to give them the ability to fully infiltrate, plus some alignment shifts to make them all malign.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
Probably never finish it but this:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16826.0

I don't think I know enough about Binder to set the abilities correctly...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 11, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
Turn Undead as a Skill: This seems like a pretty obvious thing to me:
• Faith (Charisma) is a class skill for any class that gets or advances Turn Undead.
• You can use Faith in place of Heal when dealing with other believers. Faith is treated as magic for the purposes of stuff like healing Mummy Rot.
• You can use Faith in place of Intimidate; using Faith ignores the immunity to Fear due to type. However, you can only use Faith to demoralize against enemies of your deity (undead for Pelor, for example), and you can only use Faith to adjust someone's attitude if they are also a follower of your deity.
• Divine Feats, Domain Feats, and other things that require that you spend Turn Undead uses instead require a DC 10 + (5 * Uses Needed) Faith check.
• Use the table of modifiers for Bluff; however, rather than being based off of how unbelievable your lie is, it's instead based off of how much your deity approves of what you're doing. In other words, your staunch faith helps you more when you're on a mission from god rather than when you're on the way to the corner store.
• Anything that would require the Atonement spell to remove or resolve can be dealt with through a DC 20 Faith check. The recipient still needs to be sincere about the whole thing, and the above modifiers do apply.
• You can "fall from grace" - if you do something really offensive to your deity (like killing one of their Clerics or doing the exact opposite of their teachings), you can't use Faith until you atone.

--------------------------------------

Under this shift, a couple changes become obvious:
• Any Domain or class feature that lets you Turn something now just expands what you can use Faith to intimidate. For example, the Fire domain would let you demoralize [Water] creatures and adjust the attitude of [Fire] creatures, regardless of whether or not such creatures follow your deity.
• Nightsticks? Out the window.
• Replace Turn/Rebuke Undead with Skill Focus (Faith) as a bonus feat; use Skill Focus (Faith) as a replacement for stuff that required Turn/Rebuke Undead.
• Stuff that gives you Greater Turning instead gives you Skill Mastery (Faith) - in other words, the Sun Domain will let you take 10 with Faith checks, as would the Deathless Domain.
• You could totally replace Smite Evil with (essentially) the ability to use Faith in place of Iaijutsu Focus... but only against stuff it would normally let you Smite (rather than Flat-Footed creatures, and forgoing the need to have just drawn the weapon.)
• Similarly, I could see Divine Health being replaced with the ability to use Faith in place of Autohypnosis. Maybe restrict the memorize function to memorizing scripture and prayer, and let you treat diseases as poisons for the purposes of Tolerate Poison?

Heck, there might be a Paladin fix in here somewhere.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
The only problem you might have is the number of +Skill items and classes out there boosting it to hell and back. Then you get infinite Divine feats.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 12, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »
After I'm happy with giant soulmelds.  I'm planning on working on a blue crystal chameleon.  The less poetic more descriptive name might be caste incarnate.  Either way it will be designed with humanoid themes.  Instead of each race getting a soulmeld based off of them though they'll be a soulmeld list for each caste to help emulate a class structure.   So far I have 6 castes and that is all I want.  The class will get bonuses for each soulmeld shaped having it bound will let it count as two.  Bonuses will be given at 2, 3, 6, 9 soulmelds shaped/bound.

Nobles, (for inspiration I'm going to look up a few famous emperors and their hobbies).  Binding aristocrat soulmelds will give aura's like martial.

Mages (Inspiration Jedi/sith for soulmelds.)  I have no clue what to do for shaping them.

Priests: (famous saints/heretics/witches.)  Again no clue.

Peasants: (disney damsels, famous theives)  At 2 save to recognize as a threat sanctuary effect at 9 unfair sanctuary.

Merchants: (no clue) free exendable items maybe

Soldiers: (soldiers) DR at 2 at six adds to base attack

class will have 1/2 base attack bonus, 8 skill points per level and all skills.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 12, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
The only problem you might have is the number of +Skill items and classes out there boosting it to hell and back. Then you get infinite Divine feats.

Most of them aren't that strong - the only real problems are Divine Metamagic (why am I not surprised?) and Divine Spell-Turning (similar reasoning).

As for the general massive bonuses... yeah. I've been thinking that Item Familiar in particular needs a tweak.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 17, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »
Something something Lorecalls for all of the skills.

Yes, Balancing, Healing, and Listening Lorecalls aren't enough.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 02, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Lurk quick fix

6+Int skill points, add Search and Disable Device to the list.

Add Trapfinding at 1st level.

Psionic Sneak Attack:
- Follows the Psychic Rogue sneak attack progression (+1d6, +1d6/3 levels after 1st or something along those lines).
- Doesn't require psionic focus.
- Whenever you land a sneak attack, you can attempt to gain psionic focus.

Lurk Augments:
- Activated as a free action instead of swift, but you can only have one augment charged up at once (using a new augment overwrites the last if you still haven't attacked).
- Can spend your psionic focus instead of a daily use.
- At 10th and 18th level (when you get to activate 2 or 3 augments at once), you get to charge up 2 or 3 augments at once and you can spend your psionic focus instead of 2 or 3 daily uses if you spend them at the same time.
- Save DC is 10 + 1/2 Lurk level + Int mod. This replaces the part where you'd have to spend tons of PP to boost the save DCs of your augments with dinky saves (10 + Int + 1/2 PP spent).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:10:43 AM by Garryl »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:21 PM »
Garryl, those changes would be perfect!  +1 for you.

Offline Krika

• Lurker
  • [witty message]
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:10 AM »
First idea: A Factotum-like class that uses it's own special Martial Discipline that has one of each type of maneuver for each skill - so for Appraise, there'd be one Stance, one Counter, one Strike (and maybe one Rush if using that homebrew addition), for Survival there'd be another set, etc. You'd need at least 1 Rank in a skill to select their maneuvers, and there'd be a class feature that lets you gain a rank or two in a skill outside of your normal skill progression every couple levels so you can expand your available maneuvers without needing to sacrifice the progression on the skills that you want to keep maxed.

Second: Making "vestiges" that are closer to embodiments of what are normally Domains, so instead of gaining their powers from worshipping gods, clerics (reflavored Binder, or maybe another class) gain powers by binding some discrete element of the world to them - a Healing vestige, or a Knowledge one, say. The original idea involved assembling all the regular Domain powers, improved powers, devotion powers, and such to crib together powersets based off of them, but who knows how'd it actually work out.

Offline Eldritch_Lord

• Master of Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
Second: Making "vestiges" that are closer to embodiments of what are normally Domains, so instead of gaining their powers from worshipping gods, clerics (reflavored Binder, or maybe another class) gain powers by binding some discrete element of the world to them - a Healing vestige, or a Knowledge one, say. The original idea involved assembling all the regular Domain powers, improved powers, devotion powers, and such to crib together powersets based off of them, but who knows how'd it actually work out.

So, something like this, but with ability bundles closer to the domains from this?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »

You know, I've been giving vague thoughts to an Arcane version of this - you bind Transmutation or Conjuration, say, and you get access to some powers. You'd need to layer them in tiers or whatever, though...

Offline Krika

• Lurker
  • [witty message]
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
You know, I've been giving vague thoughts to an Arcane version of this - you bind Transmutation or Conjuration, say, and you get access to some powers. You'd need to layer them in tiers or whatever, though...

So, something like this, but with ability bundles closer to the domains from this?

Yeah, something like those? The trick would be adjusting them so that they work without needing to be specific Vestige levels - I'm thinking the abilities get boosted the more you beat the binding check by. Maybe a Healing "vestige" has an ability that lets you heal someone every five turns for 1d6 + Binder level, plus 1d6 more for every 5 points by which you beat the binding check? Would that work, you think?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 10, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »
Additional special psionic tattoos:
- Generator: Links to a capacitor. The capacitor automatically recovers an additional 2 PP/day, no increase to the PP sapped from you. Multiple generators can link to the same capacitor.
- Solar Psionic Panel: 1/day, grants you 1 extra PP after the tattoo is exposed to sunlight for at least 1 hour.
- Hydro-Psionic Dam: 1/day, grants you 1 extra PP after the tattoo is exposed to running water for at least 1 hour.
- Electro-Psionic Converter: 1/day, reduces the damage you take from electricity by up to 5 and grants you that much extra PP. 5 slots.
- Induction Coils: Transfers 1 PP/round to you from any psionic creature you grapple.