Author Topic: 3.5 D&D. SKY CITY CAMPAIGN. STEAM PUNK, FINAL FANTASY, KUNG FU, EVIL GENIES.  (Read 11383 times)

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you stranger...
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I joined up to talk with all of you and make an amazing Sky City, kung fu story, steam punk themed game. (sounds pretty crazy, doesn't it? lol) Oh and hey GawainBS if your reading this. Thanks for the forum hook up.

The inspiration I'm borrowing from:
-Artistic kung fu movies like "Legend of the Tsunami Warrior," the "Ong Bak" series, and "Forbidden Kingdom."
-"Final Fantasy III and V." I love the idea of airships and floating continents. The character "Cid" has always been an interesting concept in the FF games, and I want to use him as Final Fantasy has in all their games.
-Religion. Not just one, but all of them. It's strange when you compare them all, for the most part they all overlap each other similarly.
-the movie "waterworld" and the biblical flood of Noah in Genesis. A flooded world below, with little land and very little communities interests me.

What I have thought up thus far, is that in the world below this sky city, monks that have achieved 'true enlightenment' get raptured up into a huge temple city in the skies. In this temple city, they can enjoy the richest of fruits, the purest of air, and live among others of peace for the rest of their days. (I thought another interesting flare might be the enlightened monk finds the power in himself to climb high up into the sky, hopping from one cloud to the next, with the direction to the temple city known in his heart. It would make an awesome pilgrimage and adventure I think. I haven't decided yet.)

The city is kept aloft with massively huge turbines below, and large propellers at the top of every tower. These machines, though massive in size, run very quiet, and is powered by a pure technology that doesn't harm the environment around it. (I haven't figured out what kind of energy source the city uses. I direly need help with this concept.) The city orbits around the world below aimlessly, and is never in the same spot. The city was built by the help of a storm giant who lives in the deepest pit in the seas below, and a cloud giant who lives atop the highest peek in the known world. In the city, there are many bath houses and tea houses, many gardens of fruit and shade to meditate in, and many temples where you can train and prefect your arts. This city isn't only full of monks, however. It was originally a keep for a VERY powerful dijiin and an army of avariels.

The deal is the dijiin rebuilt a society for the avariels since their kingdom of old crumbled into the sea many years ago, and for a kingdom, the avariels must protect this dijiin, and the city against his immortal enemy, a vile and blood thirsty efreeti. The dijiin has always admired the sacrifice of the monk and their strange vows of purity. These acts of kindness and selflessness the monk devotes his entire life to should be rewarded. (and in the divine plan, taken advantage of.) So through magic he rewarded their life decisions with a paradise to live in, knowing full well his city will be a pure, quiet, peaceful, and enjoyable one for all who lives here. (and mostly, an enjoyable one for himself.) On the flip side, when the efreeti attacks, the avariels will fight out of contract, and the monks will fight for survival and honoring their temples and paradise. A most ingenious plan for a dijiin who only wants to linger in the sun and smoke his hookah, and somehow be important but have little to very few priorities.

Some other subjects in this city are beautiful women the dijiin has run into and 'enjoyed' throughout his many years of life. He has persuaded them all to come live a life with him in a palace high up in the skies, where only him and his many wives may enter. His palace is place of carnal lust and revelry, very different from the city he has instructed giants to build on the outside. (This bit of information isn't known to the monks, for all they know the 'king' of this city is a wise and old monk that has transcended above all mortal desires, like themselves. The avariels know none of this either, since they keep high up in the upper levels of the city and has never even seen the inside of the dijiins great palace. In fact, all living in the city has never seen the dijiin for over 400 years.) Through sleeping with all of these women, the dijiin has many children, all air gensais (cross breading dijiins and humans make half air-elementals.) and their place is to take care for the palace, grow the fruit on the inside of is corridors, cater to the dijiin and his wives, and keep the place looking divine and seducing. These children are taken care of by their mothers in a single mass. The children are kept ignorant for the most part, they know little of the outside world, and haven't seen anything but the dijiins massive corridors and bedrooms.

The world below is flooded. There is very little land, and only two continents that are on opposite sides of the globe. Knowledge that there is another continent on the other side where people also live is not known by anyone other than the dijiin, who has seen the entire world. The oceans dominate over the land unchallenged, so it would take a sailing ship years to reach and discover the other side. So travel by airship is practiced more, but to travel to the other side of the world is madness. There is "most likely" no where to land on the endless ocean, it's perils would be most dire, and the likelihood of there even being green grass on the other side isn't likely. (silly primates. lol) The environment is very humid and tropical, islands are almost over run by jungles and rain forests. On the sea, communities of darfellen gypsies float about in boat-cities. They live off the oceans, and these cities are very common to come across. The people of land call this cities "fish slums" and most view the darfellen in a negative way.

I was thinking that the continent that the party is familiar with (for those who want to originate below) is a lot like a more extreme east india. Elephants are taxi cabs, tigers are lead on leashes by royalty, there are temples of flesh (orgy houses) everywhere, and there are over a million "known" gods and practices to worship them. (I might use some real one's of Hinduism, or I might make my own up. If you have some good sources let me know.)

I want the party to start off their adventure in the sky city, as guests, adventurers or trespassers. I haven't thought of their motives of being there yet.

So, this is all I have thus far. If you read this and you thought up an idea of your own that would work well in this game, PLEASE share it. There are a lot of holes I need to fill in, and many minds are better than one. Same goes for any of you who liked/disliked anything of my world, your input is wanted. I still need lots of names, names for the continents, names for the dijiin, the efreeti, the giants, the gods of men below AND THE CITY. If you are good at naming things, and decide to lend me a hand, your help would be most appreciated. Also an energy source for the city and a conflict is needed.

Feel free to post here, or shoot me a personal message. :D
"Without hope we live in desire."
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Sky city campaign. Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I joined up to talk with all of you and make an amazing Sky City, kung fu story, steam punk themed game. (sounds pretty crazy, doesn't it? lol) Oh and hey GawainBS if your reading this. Thanks for the forum hook up. Also I'm reposting this in other forums here, so you might find it floating around in some topics. I hope that is alright Etiquette, and if not let me know. 

The inspiration I'm borrowing from:
-Artistic kung fu movies like "Legend of the Tsunami Warrior," the "Ong Bak" series, and "Forbidden Kingdom."
-"Final Fantasy III and V." I love the idea of airships and floating continents. The character "Cid" has always been an interesting concept in the FF games, and I want to use him as Final Fantasy has in all their games.
-Religion. Not just one, but all of them. It's strange when you compare them all, for the most part they all overlap each other similarly.
-the movie "waterworld" and the biblical flood of Noah in Genesis. A flooded world below, with little land and very little communities interests me.

What I have thought up thus far, is that in the world below this sky city, monks that have achieved 'true enlightenment' get raptured up into a huge temple city in the skies. In this temple city, they can enjoy the richest of fruits, the purest of air, and live among others of peace for the rest of their days. (I thought another interesting flare might be the enlightened monk finds the power in himself to climb high up into the sky, hopping from one cloud to the next, with the direction to the temple city known in his heart. It would make an awesome pilgrimage and adventure I think. I haven't decided yet.)

The city is kept aloft with massively huge turbines below, and large propellers at the top of every tower. These machines, though massive in size, run very quiet, and is powered by a pure technology that doesn't harm the environment around it. (I haven't figured out what kind of energy source the city uses. I direly need help with this concept.) The city orbits around the world below aimlessly, and is never in the same spot. The city was built by the help of a storm giant who lives in the deepest pit in the seas below, and a cloud giant who lives atop the highest peek in the known world. In the city, there are many bath houses and tea houses, many gardens of fruit and shade to meditate in, and many temples where you can train and prefect your arts. This city isn't only full of monks, however. It was originally a keep for a VERY powerful dijiin and an army of avariels.

The deal is the dijiin rebuilt a society for the avariels since their kingdom of old crumbled into the sea many years ago, and for a kingdom, the avariels must protect this dijiin, and the city against his immortal enemy, a vile and blood thirsty efreeti. The dijiin has always admired the sacrifice of the monk and their strange vows of purity. These acts of kindness and selflessness the monk devotes his entire life to should be rewarded. (and in the divine plan, taken advantage of.) So through magic he rewarded their life decisions with a paradise to live in, knowing full well his city will be a pure, quiet, peaceful, and enjoyable one for all who lives here. (and mostly, an enjoyable one for himself.) On the flip side, when the efreeti attacks, the avariels will fight out of contract, and the monks will fight for survival and honoring their temples and paradise. A most ingenious plan for a dijiin who only wants to linger in the sun and smoke his hookah, and somehow be important but have little to very few priorities.

Some other subjects in this city are beautiful women the dijiin has run into and 'enjoyed' throughout his many years of life. He has persuaded them all to come live a life with him in a palace high up in the skies, where only him and his many wives may enter. His palace is place of carnal lust and revelry, very different from the city he has instructed giants to build on the outside. (This bit of information isn't known to the monks, for all they know the 'king' of this city is a wise and old monk that has transcended above all mortal desires, like themselves. The avariels know none of this either, since they keep high up in the upper levels of the city and has never even seen the inside of the dijiins great palace. In fact, all living in the city has never seen the dijiin for over 400 years.) Through sleeping with all of these women, the dijiin has many children, all air gensais (cross breading dijiins and humans make half air-elementals.) and their place is to take care for the palace, grow the fruit on the inside of is corridors, cater to the dijiin and his wives, and keep the place looking divine and seducing. These children are taken care of by their mothers in a single mass. The children are kept ignorant for the most part, they know little of the outside world, and haven't seen anything but the dijiins massive corridors and bedrooms.

The world below is flooded. There is very little land, and only two continents that are on opposite sides of the globe. Knowledge that there is another continent on the other side where people also live is not known by anyone other than the dijiin, who has seen the entire world. The oceans dominate over the land unchallenged, so it would take a sailing ship years to reach and discover the other side. So travel by airship is practiced more, but to travel to the other side of the world is madness. There is "most likely" no where to land on the endless ocean, it's perils would be most dire, and the likelihood of there even being green grass on the other side isn't likely. (silly primates. lol) The environment is very humid and tropical, islands are almost over run by jungles and rain forests. On the sea, communities of darfellen gypsies float about in boat-cities. They live off the oceans, and these cities are very common to come across. The people of land call this cities "fish slums" and most view the darfellen in a negative way.

I was thinking that the continent that the party is familiar with (for those who want to originate below) is a lot like a more extreme east india. Elephants are taxi cabs, tigers are lead on leashes by royalty, there are temples of flesh (orgy houses) everywhere, and there are over a million "known" gods and practices to worship them. (I might use some real one's of Hinduism, or I might make my own up. If you have some good sources let me know.)

I want the party to start off their adventure in the sky city, as guests, adventurers or trespassers. I haven't thought of their motives of being there yet.

So, this is all I have thus far. If you read this and you thought up an idea of your own that would work well in this game, PLEASE share it. There are a lot of holes I need to fill in, and many minds are better than one. Same goes for any of you who liked/disliked anything of my world, your input is wanted. I still need lots of names, names for the continents, names for the dijiin, the efreeti, the giants, the gods of men below AND THE CITY. If you are good at naming things, and decide to lend me a hand, your help would be most appreciated. Also an energy source for the city and a conflict is needed.

Feel free to post here, or shoot me a personal message.
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Stronghold Builder's Guide has rules for flying fortresses.  A city could easily just be a very large version.  Unfortunately, there are no propellers or anything.  They just float by magic. 

An idea for a power source would be decanters of endless watter.  They could feed into a system of aqueducts that provide water to the city, then finally pass through hydroelectric turbines before running out of the city. 

If you go with water power, conflict can revolve around argument over whether the city is the cause of the flood. 

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
WOW. That's an awesome idea! It could be a scheme of the storm giant that helped build the city, drowning the world and enlarging his kingdom by doing such. This opens me up to a few new roads to take with the story. Thanks Maat Mons!!
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Ok, the Eberron was flooded to seal the evils (wind waker) and you live an enlightened life in the sky (skyward sword).
...I put on my shield and green hat.

Have them embark on a preordained quest by the goddess to travel to the world below them in an effort to stop the big bad, let's call it the imprisoned, from awakening. Skycityevil is totally a bunch of atheists and while Skycitygood is trying to save the world they get invaded and PCs have to choose to stop their journey to save the city but risk the BBEG's release or let the city fall under the control of Evil McWizardington. For a plot twist, Skycitygood's leader is working with the imprisoned and Skycityevil knew of this preordained betrayal for centuries.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
An easy power source for doing things with magic is Decanter of Endless Water + Heat Metal traps. That gets you steam, which you can turn into power with turbines. This would also explain why the land below is flooded, since the steam would condense in the atmosphere and build up the oceans over time. A flying city would, after all, need a lot of steam to keep it airborne

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
My first thought while reading this is that you should use Unarmed Swordsages in place of the monk class but still call them monks.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
My first thought while reading this is that you should use Unarmed Swordsages in place of the monk class but still call them monks.
Heck merge them all!

Monk: Unarmed Swordsage + Monk's AFCs like Holy Strike or a nerfed Shar super-hide.
Paladin: Crusader with Paladin spells.
Fighter: Warblade with an expanded bonus feat list, maybe an extra feat or two. It's called a "Knight" now too.
Barbarian: Deleted, no unenlightened illiterate savages in my kingdom!
Ranger: Depreciated, what are woods and screw them.
Rogue: Urban subs mandatory.
Arcanists: Skycityevil's classes. Goodsville looks down on those unenlightened god shunning bastards seeking power.
Bards: Free-lance entertainers, oppressed for being unguilded and feared for their "gypsy magic". They are free bards ;)

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
ANGELS OF DEATH, A FLOODED KINGDOM, A CITY IN THE SKY "sky city" revised
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:44 AM »
THE DEATH CLOUD IS PASSING OVERHEAD...

This is the second revision of a campaign I have been working on for a week now. The original post can be found here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2239.0
Thanks to Maat Mons, Soro_Lost, Halinn, and Bastian for the amazing ideas. Keep in mind this is all still in the works, and all of your ideas and thoughts are welcome.

The world below this sky city, monks that have achieved 'true enlightenment' get raptured up into a huge temple city in the skies. In this temple city, they can enjoy the richest of fruits, the purest of air, and live among others of peace for the rest of their days.

The city is kept aloft with massively huge turbines below, and large propellers at the top of every tower. These machines, though massive in size, run very quiet, and is powered by a technology passed down by a storm giant below the seas. The city orbits around the world below aimlessly, and is never in the same spot. The city was built by the magic of a powerful dijiin, (some say he is the son of a Shiek in the air elemental plan, and others say the dijiin himself is a Shiek.) and with the the hands of a brilliant storm giant very few know about. In the city, there are many bath houses and tea houses, royal gardens of sweet and exotic fruit, large green courtyards of trees and shade to meditate in, and many glorious temples where you can train and prefect your arts. This city wasn't originally designed for monks, however. It was originally a keep for the dijiin and an army of avariels centuries beforehand.

The deal is the dijiin rebuilt a society for the avariels since their kingdom of old crumbled into the sea many years ago, and for a kingdom, the avariels must protect this dijiin, and the city against his immortal enemy, a vile and blood thirsty efreeti. The dijiin has always admired the sacrifice of the monk and their strange vows of purity. These acts of kindness and selflessness the monk devotes his entire life to should be rewarded. (and in the divine plan, taken advantage of.) So some many years later, through his magic he rewards their life decisions with a paradise to live in, knowing full well his city will be a pure, quiet, peaceful, and enjoyable one for all who lives there. (and mostly, an enjoyable one for himself.) On the flip side, when the efreeti attacks, and he has once 400 hundred years ago, the avariels will fight out of contract, and the monks will fight for survival and honoring their temples and paradise. A most ingenious plan for a dijiin who only wants to linger in the sun and smoke his hookah, and somehow be important but have little to very few priorities.

To run this city it takes a lot of work, and work that no one wants to do. The turbines spin not by magic, but from a strange technology brought up by the storm giant that he calls "Steam Power." Thousand of Decanters of Endless Water flow out in the lower floors of the city, and the water is run through miles of pipes to aqueducts above to help supply those living in the city with fresh water, and then the water is finaly run into large heated engines, which heats the water into steam which is used to power the turbines that keep the city flying. The excess water is dumped out of the sides of the city every so often, and rains down below. The Waring Avariels, through their beliefs that they are Superior to everyone below them, has come up with the twisted idea that slaves should be stoking the fires in there engine rooms, and cleaning out the water pipes when needed. So it was decided among a council, that once their city passes over the cities below, they will descend down upon the land races in night, wearing black cloaks, and porcelain masks, and snatch up slaves to work until death in the cities underground. Most go willing, not knowing their fate is to work in factories exhausted and abused by their Avariel Masters.

Some other subjects in this city are beautiful women the dijiin has run into and 'enjoyed' throughout his many years of life. He has persuaded them all to come live a life with him in a palace high up in the skies, where only him and his many wives may enter. His palace is a place of carnal lust and revelry, very different from the city he has instructed the Storm giant to build on the outside.

-(This bit of information isn't known to the monks, for all they know the 'king' of this city is a wise and old monk that has transcended above all mortal desires, like themselves, and has locked himself away to meditate for the sacred 1,000 years. The avariels know none of this either, since they keep high up in the upper levels of the city and has never even seen the inside of the dijiins great palace. In fact, all living in the city has never seen the dijiin for over 400 years, which the monks deny has ever happened, for the 'king' is on a long lasting spiritual journey through meditation.)-

Through sleeping with all of these women, the dijiin has many children, all air gensais (cross breading dijiins and humans make half air-elementals.) and their place is to take care for the palace, grow the fruit on the inside of it's corridors, cater to the dijiin and his wives, and keep the place looking divine and seducing. These children are taken care of by their mothers in a single, almost cult-like mass. The children are kept ignorant for the most part, they know little of the outside world, and haven't seen anything but the dijiins massive corridors and bedrooms. They have, however, noticed they have special powers unlike their mothers, but they know nothing of their heritage.

The world below is flooded. There is very little land, and only two continents that are on opposite sides of the globe. Knowledge that there is another continent on the other side where people also live is not known by anyone other than the dijiin, who has seen the entire world. The oceans dominate over the land unchallenged, so it would take a sailing ship years to reach and discover the other side. So travel by airship is practiced more, but to travel to the other side of the world is madness. There is "most likely" no where to land on the endless ocean, it's perils would be most dire, and the likelihood of there even being green grass on the other side isn't likely. The environment is very humid, wet and tropical, islands are almost over run by jungles and rain forests.

On the sea, communities of Darfellen gypsies float about in boat-cities. They live off the oceans, and these cities are very common to come across. The people of land call these cities "fish slums" and most view the darfellen in a negative way. The Darfellen however, know more about the floating city than the rest of the world's communities, since some of their ancestors has seen the storm giant build it, hundreds of years ago "when the sea was cradled by the earth." ~Darfellen Legend. These stories have been passed down through the gypsy tribes, and are still honored to this day.

The lands below, are full of vice and madness. Drugs, prostitutes, gambling, and worse yet gangs of rogues, mage-thieves, and pick-pockets run most of the major cities. There is little land to settle in, the jungles are always pushing into the city and the buildings take much damage from nature's advance. Jungle beasts pick off most who stray too far into the jungle canopies, and disease's like malaria and leprosy are sweeping through the southern edge of the parties home Continent and the islands to the south, because of all the placid water and higher temperatures that exist there. There are some leper colonies in the partie's known world, but very few. Most lepers, when examined and caught for having the condition are forced into large sea bound ships and are are exiled to keep far away from the land.These boats have been deemed the title of "Plague Arcs."

Not unlike the Darfellen tribes in the sea, the land bound races have their own legends of the city in the sky, since every so often it is seen overhead. The people call the city, the "Death Cloud." For when the "cloud" comes, many people vanish mysteriously, and sometimes the cloud is seen spilling hundreds of gallons of water like rain, swelling the rivers and flooding unfortunate village's. Some of the people in the known world, claim that when the death cloud passes overhead, strange Iron sky ships come in the night, with winged figures cloaked in black, and the sailors of these ships snatch people up, and take them back to the cloud. There are even some people of the land, who worship the death cloud, and these angels cloaked in black are believed to be messengers of death, carrying away the dead (literally) to a better place. Cults all across the known world worship these Angels, and the disappearance of the corpses means the worshipper has honored the God who lives in the cloud.
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE! There is a lot of good ideas here. :D I have revised my story, and moved it to: ANGELS OF DEATH, A FLOODED KINGDOM, A CITY IN THE SKY "sky city" revised

I changed up a lot of the plot, and used some of your suggestions. In the end I might end up using all of it, because  this shit is golden.

Here's a question, I'm new here, so is reposting somewhat of the same thread, although revised and changed a bad thing to do? I'm just curious. Thanks guys.
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Ripping off books and games is awesome like that.

Remember: to steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE! There is a lot of good ideas here. :D I have revised my story, and moved it to: ANGELS OF DEATH, A FLOODED KINGDOM, A CITY IN THE SKY "sky city" revised

Where did you move it to? Link us, please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it. :blush

Also, any possibility of perhaps a play by post of such a campaign world in the near future, hmm, hmm? This sounds like an interesting world to roleplay in. My interest, you have it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:34:33 PM by Ziegander »

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
Re: Sky city campaign. Help needed.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
I like all of this except for the fact that there is travel by steam-punk airships and yet somehow no one has noticed that there is a whole other continent on the other side of the world. Are the airships a very new invention to the world? Are there only a very scarce few of them? How are resources on the world's surface for each continent? Remember, the reason Columbus discovered the New World in the first place was on a mission to secure resources from India. He got lost following a faulty navigational route and wound up in the Caribbean Islands, if I recall correctly*.

*Ah, he actually landed in the Bahamas. Thank you, Wikipedia.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »
For airships I figure navigation might be a problem, you'd need landmarks or else have reliable astronomical navigation methods if you're venturing far off known lands, especially if theres bad weather between here and there.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Ripping off books and games is awesome like that.

Remember: to steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

As long as you can make it more awesome (like what Steve Jobs did) you can steal any idea in the world.
Hmm.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
For airships I figure navigation might be a problem, you'd need landmarks or else have reliable astronomical navigation methods if you're venturing far off known lands, especially if theres bad weather between here and there.

And that's precisely my point. Unless there's like four airships in the world the possibility that somebody got lost and made their way to the "New World" isn't that remote. Likewise, if there are privately owned airships, it becomes probable that someone (like Cid) found the other continent by virtue of going on a whirlwind adventure.

EDIT: Also, the Talespinning board is probably the most appropriate part of the forum for this thread.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:27:38 PM by Ziegander »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
Well, presumably they'd know some rumors, but reliable navigation would mean its largely random travel in both directions.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
Well, presumably they'd know some rumors, but reliable navigation would mean its largely random travel in both directions.

If they have compasses, then they have reliable enough navigation to make it to a whole 'nother continent. All they need to know is, "it's that way," and then have the technology to make sure they keep going "that way." If they're building steampunk airships and they don't have compassess, then... no, that's really not even a possibility. Even without rumors of a New World, demand for aeronautical navigation technology would be big, if only to navigate the space above their own, presumably quite large, continent.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Point. Maybe throw in a lot more dragons along the way.

That always helps :)

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
Point. Maybe throw in a lot more dragons along the way.

That always helps :)

First I thought, "Dragons that roost where, in the clouds? Are we talking about Dragons that are always flying around? I'd get tired..."

Next I thought, "Skysharks." 'Cause, y'know, sharks are always swimming because they begin to "drown" if they aren't moving through the water at all times.

Skysharks. For the win.