Author Topic: Chapter the First: How, What, When, Why?  (Read 39050 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter the First: How, What, When, Why?
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
It occurs to Elizabeth that the bats couldn't actually look inside this building. All the windows are shut.

The napping figure scampers up in a hurry, looking annoyed.

"...the hell? I didn't call for entertainers, go away. You're disturbing my nap."
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
Or, of course, there was always a bat's weakness: they didn't have opposable thumbs. Next time, she should tell them to just ram their way through the door. The things were hardly small, so...

Then the strange man was rude. Unforgivable; he dared to think of someone of her beauty as a mere entertainer?

The spear was pointed at his throat as soon as he'd finished speaking, and the bats moved in closer.

"Would you like to start this conversation again?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
"O-oi, put that thing away, you crazy?!" The man's voice trembled. Neither Elizabeth nor Claudia could see fangs on his mouth, but his pallor was too much like a vampire's; while they could opt to keep their fangs hidden there was seldom reason to do so, which was a little odd.

"What are you pointing that spear at me for? I didn't call for either of you, dammit."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
"We are not hired entertainers, no matter how much Claudia there may look like one," Elizabeth said, lowering the spear and tapping it against the casket on her back a few times, "I do believe that we want to know exactly what the hell is going on here. Every other building is more open than this one, and there's not a single person left. Oh, and all those staked outside. Now, do be useful and explain? "

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
(The people staked outside is a normal thing. It's the people missing who aren't.)

The man's face took on an expression of panic for a second as Elizabeth tapped her coffin.

And then he tried to act cool assume a nonchalant expression.

He was bad at it. His brow was clearly sweating.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
Claudia suddely jumps in.

Well, that's truly a shame.
We would have a considerable reward if this situation you could explain.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
The man puffs his chest with confidence.

"Hah! I am already the vampire lord of this village. There's nothing you could offer me that I can't get on my own."

His chest lightly sparkles.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
"You, a vampire lord? I've seen better. I am better--look around yourself, man. Surrounded. Unprepared for a fight. The only reason I didn't destroy you before you woke is that you have the answers we need. Now, tell us what we want to know."

Crimson flared around Elizabeth's eyes and her voice became much... heavier. Even though she wasn't really looking right at him, there was still the sudden crushing desire to do exactly as she said.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
"...surrounded? I think you should take a better look..."

Elizabeth's power washes over the man. The reason is unknown - there is no visual cue.

But perhaps more disturbing, small spheres of translucid blue start to creep up from the floor boards. They form into the shape of... children.

Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there? Are you there?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
Elizabeth dropped the spear and moved forwards, sighing. It seemed that she wasn't going to be getting the answers she was after through any normal means--and the creepy ghost children looked like they were going to get in the way if she didn't do something. She'd tried being nice, now it was time to follow up on those threats.

Even if that meant grabbing the man--vampire? Whatever--and squeezing him until his bones cracked.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
Let our bloods boil and bones break!
Let violence rule and the heavens quake!

(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »
Meanwhile, just outside town...

The weather was not inviting in this place. It never really was.  The atmosphere and a lack of sunlight had that effect. That said, as the woman with white hair approached the town, her skin and hair almost luminous against the backdrop of thick, dark clouds and a generally bitter landscape, the temperature of the air nearby dropped sharply. She had been hovering above the ground just slightly, though her long skirt of her dress hid her feet making it nearly impossible to tell. She dropped down to the ground as she continued walking toward the town, and where she stepped the mud and dirt seemed to be left hardened. Turning to glance behind her, she notices this and a smile creeps onto her face, albeit briefly. She seems to make an effort of will, and the temperature quickly raises much closer to normal, at least a way farther from her person.

"It would not do to give away our nature so openly, now would it, dear servant of the heavens? I can not promise, though, that bystanders will not stop to stare."
Her voice was much warmer than her aura, velvety and rich like a chocolate that most in this land couldn't ever hope to afford. It was both alluring and teasing, which seemed to echo the rest of her appearance. Those not touched by the Twilight Fallout did not need a sixth sense to tell that something was not normal about her, though they tended to be too busy gawking to notice. Of course, there were plenty of beings in the world, and others, that had no need nor care for overt sexuality, and were dangerous to her the same as anyone else.

"So, how shall we determine what is the cause of our gracious patron's vexation? Shall you put this village to soft slumber with a sermon so that we may explore it openly?"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:16:33 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »
As it turns out, the child-like spirits are faster on the draw. The way they coordinate as a single entity is nothing short of eerie; they flow and rush like a river towards Elizabeth and Claudia, uncaring of any retaliation they may suffer along the way.

Meanwhile, the self-proclaimed vampire lord of the village smirks almost triumphantly as he moves to lie back on his chair. (Spot check, please.)

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
Ashen wings carried another woman after the first. A deceptively fragile form had its nature betrayed with a layer of mail and readied weapons of various description. Silva's pale white face looked inquisitively about her as the pair approached the village, red eyes viewing dispassionately the typical scene of her lord's justice. Though she glided forward under the weight of heavy armor, she did not bother touching down to walk.

"There appears to be no one of consequence to hear a sermon even if I was to begin preaching. A small blessing, as I tire of lecturing children. If they cannot be found they may need a prayer however."

The angel's voice would have sounded fruity if it were not so flat, and had a surprising volume as if she were accustomed to speaking loudly. Snow white hair appeared dull in the overcast weather, and the red of the  robes under her armor almost seemed maroon. Silva hovered down near the fey, ignoring the cold aura about her.

"Don't walk just yet girl, I would like us to get a better look from on high. As you say, I shall do my best not to attract attention. Come."

Silva took Maeve's hand before wisps of magic suddenly stole her from view. In an instant she had vanished, but the fey could still feel her touch which was now a gentle tug upwards where they could get a better vantage point.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:11:38 AM by Geigan »
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
Maeve yanks her hand back as a scowl crosses her face, stretching her lips, the color of frozen raspberries, into a thin frown. Her glare wordlessly says 'who are you calling girl?' "What use is invisibility, angel, if you are dragging along a visible load? Teach they not you to think, up there, or does the thin atmosphere simply simply steal your mind away from you?" What Silva did not know is that there was a day, not yet so long ago, that Maeve could have slipped into invisibility as easily as breathing, but that power remained but a memory... for now.

The fey woman adjusts herself, flattening out nonexistent creases in her dress. Looking up in the general area Silva had been, Maeve says in a low voice, "You observe from on high, as is your charge, while I shall observe from down here. We will thusly uncover greater detail with dual points of view."

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:14 PM »
While Silva knew that dragging along a visible and deceptively vulnerable looking load to bait out any hiding villagers or others was exactly what she had in mind, she did not voice this.

"Very well," she whispered with a hint of amusement at the fey's outrage. Silva took flight without her as an unseen smile crept onto her face. As she got higher her initial assessment was vindicated for the most part. Not a single villager in sight, which was strange even for a terribly overcast day such as today. Not to mention that burning house which was quite obviously out of- ooh, what was that?

She quickly alighted back down next to the fey and whispered again.

"I believe the sparseness of population pervades most of the village if my sight does not fail me, but I did see a pair headed into this town's hall. This way girl."

The angel gave another gentle tug in the direction of the town hall.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:46:32 PM by Geigan »
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
Despite their headlong rush and the press of their collective strength, the child-like spirits fail in their attempt to restrain Elizabeth. However, Claudia's efforts prove less successful in resisting.

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »
Claudia laughs maniacally as she tries to shake off the spirits swarming all over her, what's left of her sanity clearly slipping away.

HAHAHAHA what eager children you have!
HAHAHAHA I'll make sure to take them to your grave!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
"How pathetic," Elizabeth sneered, barreling through the ghosts and releasing a wave of ominous red light that would hopefully wreck the ghosts that had dared to move close to her. And those that hadn't. Honestly, the pillar was pretty hazardous to everything around her except the smug bastard in the chair and Claudia, and only then because it was curtailed before reaching them.

Oh, she was going to make him squeal...

(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
Maeve collects herself, her expression freezing over in a perfectly calm visage. Silva would notice the fey's body growing chillier as she tugged, even through her outfit, and despite the angel's resistance to the cold. "Perhaps they are part of the earlier investigation. If not... well, then we shall discover their intent soon."

The fey's feet lift off of the ground again, and she glides swiftly toward the indicated building. A light frost is left in her wake.

(click to show/hide)