Author Topic: Kavu, Awaken  (Read 3670 times)

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Kavu, Awaken
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:44:23 AM »
Kavu

10HD
LevelBabFortRefWillFeature
1+1+2+2+0Kavu Body, Adaptation(+1)+1 Str, +1 Con
2+2+3+3+0Phyrexian Hunter, Adaptation(+2), +1 Str, +1 Con
3+3+3+3+1Phyrexian Predator, Adaptation(+1), +1 Str, +1 Con
4+4+4+4+1 Phyrexian accustomed,  Adaptation(+1), +1 Str, +1 Con
5+5+4+4+1Growth, Adaptation(+1), +1 Str, +1 Con

Skills: 2+Int modifier per level (x4 at 1st level.
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot.

Proficiencies: Its own hide and its natural weapons only.

Kavu Body:The Kavu loses all other racial bonus and gains Magical Beast traits. It's a medium sized Magical Beast has lowlight and darkvision out 60', with base speed 40 feet. It has a bite attack dealing 1d6+Str mod damage plus two claw attacks each dealing 1d4+1/2 Str mod damage. It has no limbs capable of fine manipulation. Gains natural armor equal to Con modifier.

Adaptation List
(click to show/hide)

Growth: at level 5 a Kavu increases in size, also increasing natural weapon dice accordingly.

Phyrexian Hunter:A Kavu gains a +HD racial bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against a Construct/Undead, this stacks with any favored enemy bonus.

Phyrexian Predator: any successful attack against  construct/undead has a +HD bonus to damage, this stacks with any favored enemy bonus. Also a Kavu may also eat any construct/undead without risking it's health.

Phyrexian accustomed: A Kavu can now ignore a Construct/Undead immunity to critical hits/damage and poisons/energy types. Also Kavu now have dmg reduction and a bonus on saves vrs damage and abilities from Constructs/Undeads equal to the 1/2 the Kavu's HD.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:24:04 AM by WarHunter »

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Kavu
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:19:11 AM »
Prestige Class
Kavu Royality
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:13:34 AM by WarHunter »

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Kavu, Awaken
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
Character Options

Traits

Eyeless: either never had eyes or renderred useless early in life, you gain blindsense 30ft, every 5hd this extends an additional 30ft. Gains blindfight. And immunity to gaze attacks. Takes -8 penalty to spot checks, -4 penalty to search

Wurm body: born with no arms but many smaller limbs.- lose two claw attacks and can not gain Extra limb, Quadruped, Longer Limbs, and Opposable thumbs adaptations. You gain a burrow speed equal to your landspeed.

Feats
Extra adaptation: gain an additional adaptation that you qualify for. Can be taken more than once.

Improved Adaption: ignore all penalties of adaptations.

Expanded Enemy List: outsiders with lawful neutral subtype and metallic dragons are considered Phyrexian to this Kavu.

Soulmeld

Kavu Pantaloons:
Chakra binds:  feet, shoulder, waist, (totem)

Starting ability ignore natural difficult terrian. Essentia bonus increases one of the following skills by 4 for every essentia, once decided can not be changed until you reshape this soulmeld, jump, move silently, climb, swim.

Feet bind, depending on your skill bonus choice, jump get 5ft ignore fall damage, move silently get 5ft increase to landspeed, climb gets 5ft of climb speed, swim gets 5ft of swim speed per essentia(that may have to be increased.

Shoulder bind counts you as a size larger for carry capacity, resisting bullrush and other movement effects, resisting grapple checks

Waist bind gives you a trample attack. As a full-round action, you can move up to twice your speed and literally run over any creature equal to your own size or smaller. You merely have to move over the opponents in your path; any creature whose space is completely covered by your space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is considered trampled only if you move over all the squares it occupies. Your trample attack deals 1d8 points of bludgeoning
damage (or 1d6 points if you are Small) plus 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier. If you are larger than Medium or smaller than Small, the damage scales up or down accordingly.

Totem bind gives you extra limbs that match your feet and a tauric body to rear up with(consider your self a quadruped for combat purposes) . You gain 2 claw/hoof attacks made at -5 your attack bonus. You count as a quadruped as long as this is bound to your totem chakra. If two claws hit deals rending damage of str mod plus 1d4 per essentia(if 3 claws hit deal 1.5 strength mod plus 1d6 per essentia, if 4 claws hit deal 2 times strength mod plus 1d8 per essentia)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:52:00 AM by WarHunter »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Kavu, Awaken (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
Interesting, but most of those options look really weak. The only ones that really seem worth it are Extra arms and maybe Opposable Thumb. Taking stat penalties in return for minor skill bonus is a really bad deal. You could remove the stat penalties from pretty much all of those and they still wouldn't be worth it probably. Projectile vomit starts strong but falls behind fast with no scaling while stuff like DR 3/piercing and slashing is plain weak even if it scaled.

Shedding is basically unplayable. It's virtually impossible to come up during a campain yet has no cap or age expectancy so nobody knows how much it could grant.

Short neck does nothing since vorpal doesn't allow a save in the first place and even then it's something that only comes up at high levels.

Magical beast standard traits already include lowlight vision and Darkvision 60 feet so the eyes upgrades do nothing either unless you want the kavu to don't have them by default in which case you need to point it out.

On the other hand why so fast growths?

Plus, where are the classics like flametongue kavu? What about the mtg fluff about they hybernating for centuries before awakening to destroy phyerxians?

Offline ~Corvus~

• My Greed has spread here too =D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
I suggest the Adaptations actually determine its type. Flametongue is a classic, but ones like Aggressor (-AC for strength?) or Chameleon (gets a +10 to hide?) or Rogue (gets Sneak Attack) should be cool.

Maybe instead of it getting 2 natural growths, give it the Titan adaptation, which has other Adaptation prereqs.
Quote from: HuskyBoi
I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Greedling avatar by Ceika from Giantitp.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:32:50 AM »
So should there be an adaptation for every kind of Kavu? About the phyrexian aspect should they be golem/construct eaters? Vaguely rust monster?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
Not necessarily every last kind of Kavu but the main ones should be here definitely. Also anti construct/undead bonus by default for every kavu would be nice too.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
Ok I think I got most of them, and they all can do extra damage to constructs/undead

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
Kavu Body:The Kavu loses all other racial bonus and gains Magical Beast traits. It's a medium sized Magical Beast has lowlight and darkvision out 60', with base speed 40 feet. It has a bite attack dealing 1d6+Str mod damage plus two claw attacks each dealing 1d4+1/2 Str mod damage. It has no limbs capable of fine manipulation. Gains natural armor equal to 2 times Con modifier.
That natural armor is scaling way too fast.

Temper: this Kavu is very aggressive, that when it takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily. Note requires Reckless adaptation.
No fatigue or limit use? That's a bit too much. Also duration limit otherwise  somebody hits the kavu and runs away, they'll rage all day long.

Reckless: the Kavu is wild, unpredictable can trade in its ac for attack bonus up to its BAB.
Needs a duration otherwise you just use it when attacking and then turn it off.

Increased Metabolism: The Kavu's metabolism works at a greatly accelerated rate. His natural healing rate is doubled. However when sent below 0 hit points he loses 2 hit points a round instead of 1. The onset time of all poisons and diseases is halved, and he must eat twice as much as anyone else. Note: this adaptation cannot stack with Gaunt.
This is still really weak. Natural healing by default is slooowww, and you're getting several penalties for the trouble.

Obesity: The Kavu is unnaturally obese no matter how little he eats, gaining +1 Con at the cost of reducing land movement speed at 10 ft. Gains energy resistance 3+HD cold. Note: this adaptation cannot stack with Gaunt.   
Perhaps you mean "reducing land movement speed by 10 ft"?

Slimy: The Kavu's skin is coated in a thin layer of mucous secreted from his pores. He receives a +2 to escape artist checks and a +2 to rolls made to break out of a grapple, but gets a -2 penalty to maintain a grapple. Note: this adaptation cannot stack with Fur, Touch of Unease
Why don't just take the one that grants you +4 escape artist instead?

Longer Limbs: having longer limbs increases your land speed by 10ft, your reach with your claws 5 ft and a +2 to climbing. You gain a penalty to attack and to AC.
Eerrr, what penalty ? :psyduck

Tail: The Kavu has a tail dangling from behind him, granting him +2 to Balance checks. If large +3 to balance and can attack with it at 5' reach doing 1d8 +str mod. If huge, +4 to balance, +2 to swim, gain attack with 10' reach doing 2d6 +are mod.
+are mod?

Touch of Unease: The Kavu's skin is pulsing with power from beneath, which can make lesser men faint. Anyone who touches the caliban's bare skin with his own bare skin takes +HD point of subdual damage per round of contact, with no save. Outsiders and Fey are immune to this damage, as creatures of magic. Note: this adaptation cannot stack with Slimy.
"Creatures of magic" is really unclear. Maybe something more specific like "creatures able to use spells/SLAs"

Twisted Organs: The Kavu's innards are all twisted around and located in an unusual alignment (his heart might be down in his gut while his intestines weave around throughout his chest wrapping around the other organs etc.). This makes the Kavu weaker and more susceptible to poison and disease (-1 con) but makes his vital organs harder to find. Any roll to confirm a threat made against the Kavu is at –2 and anyone attempting to Sneak Attack him must make a DC 10 Spot check to find his vulnerable spots and successfully deliver a Sneak Attack (this Spot check is a free action). Note: this adaptation cannot stack with Gaunt.
Another still really weak. Soon any decent enemy will be auto-making those spot checks and -10% chance of confirming crits is nothing to write home about, in particular with the -1 Con.

Unstoppable: this Kavu can trample it's foes, going twice its land speed and passing through an enemies square equal to its size or smaller. This deals 4d4 +4times Str modifier. Half if they make reflex save that's are based. Takes -2 to reflex.
Needs activation action. Also no DC formula and unclear who takes -2 to reflex.

Charred Palate: The stomach of this Kavu is deformed to the point that it can not eat unburnt food and must spew fire to cook its food. A number of times per day equal to his Con modifier the Kavu may shoot a orb of fire for 2d4 points of damage (addition 1d4 damage every 3 HD after 3HD) at a single enemy within 20 ft.(a Reflex save halves the damage).
Why less damage than the acid version?

Phyrexian Hunter:A Kavu gains a +HD bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against a Construct/Undead, this stacks with any favored enemy bonus.

Phyrexian Predator: any successful attack against  construct/undead has a +HD bonus to damage, this stacks with any favored enemy bonus. Also a Kavu may also eat any construct/undead without risking it's health.

Phyrexian Slayer: A Kavu can now ignore a Construct/Undead immunity to critical hits/damage and poisons/energy types. Also Kavu can now bypass any dmg reduction or hardness of a Construct/Undead equal to the kavu's HD.
The skill bonus should be racial. Also the damage bonus and ignoring DR may be a bit too much.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:16:51 AM »
So you started posting a new monster and I was about to point out you had this unfinished but seems like you made some modifications since last time.

Reckless should have an activation action.

Fur looks kinda weakish and situational, how about negate all enviromental cold damge?

Obesity's energy resistance probably could use some clarification as to what exactly it applies. Fire? Force? Sonic? Negative/Positive energy?

Twisted organ should have a 1/round limit to the free spot checks sneak attackers get, otherwise they can just keep rolling as a free action until they bypass unless their spot bonus is weak enough that they auto-fail.

Unstoppable's DC is kinda hard to read right now, in particular does the -2 to reflex applies to the kavu itself?

Phyrexian accustomed's bonus to save against constructs and undeads may be a bit too much.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
Sorry for the wait, I addressed the issues you brought up. One of them was due to my grammar(obesity) and autocorrect (unstoppable). Thanks for your help.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
Ok, catching up with stuff since the forum started eating posts.

Looking better, but noticed now that Charred Palate and Projectile Vomit lack a formula for their save DC.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
The forum is eating posts? That's not good. Thanks for catching those mistakes.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 02:04:43 AM »
The forum is eating posts? That's not good.

Indeed, at least it seems to have stopped and we just lost some stuff between the 18th and 21st of November.

Thanks for catching those mistakes.

You're welcome.

So looking over the feats, Extra adaptative looks way too strong even if incomplete, since that would end up being even more adaptations that the full base class grants. Would limit it to one adaptation per pick, can be taken multiple times.

Offline WarHunter

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »
Alright I fixed the feat