Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 211649 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
Last time I checked, mounted chargers indeed prefer to be small-sized in order to ride a medium-sized mount so they don't risk facing themselves with enemies in 5-feet passages.

Not to mention classes like the paladin get to call their mounts only when needed pokemon-style.

As for level 16 fine mecha, well, I guess I'll just have to remove that option and limit miniaturization to diminutive mechas.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
Last time I checked, mounted chargers indeed prefer to be small-sized in order to ride a medium-sized mount so they don't risk facing themselves with enemies in 5-feet passages.

Not to mention classes like the paladin get to call their mounts only when needed pokemon-style.

As for level 16 fine mecha, well, I guess I'll just have to remove that option and limit miniaturization to diminutive mechas.

Aww, but that's such a high level there's surely worse things you could be doing by that point? Like laser-cannoning every fixed obstacle and sifting through the rubble? :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
New batch of feats added, also pimped up Prevail, Guardian, Predict and Attacker a bit. Any comments here please.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »
Ace Legend = constant +10 to Dodge AC? :huh

Bit amused that you specified Love here, didn't think all Real Pilots were Casanova wannabes.

Wargear is almost the Real Pilot capstone, and it's a lot more usable. Plus that entire supply thing raises so many questions about how it's being executed if, say, you're on a stealth mission or something, or supposed to be acting independently. Ditto for sudden Mecha Mook.

Same thing--constant Energy-free Gravity Wall, instead of constant +10 AC.

Come to Me presumably has the potential for the same issues as the Real Pilot spontaneous arrival stuff.

Pure Crafting? Really? A completely system, just for a single feat? The basic options don't even seem that good, for mecha. :eh

Your choice of skills here isn't very good (Strength and Con are not known for their wonderful array of skills) in comparison to free Knowledge, observation, and stealth ranks. :p

The communications stuff seems more like a tax on feats and maneuvers than a handy option, especially not the communications (because it cripples energy recovery)

The Warp stuff reminds me of Gunbuster, and it's nice to see really long range travel somewhere, but... again, seems kind of like a tax. :/

Prevail is definitely a lot more worth it... if you can keep your HP in that area. Same for Attacker and Guardian, if the individual enemies are strong enough. Still kind of situational, but better than previously.

EDIT: Possibly the most grating thing about the Ship Captain feat: one of its abilities is more flavourful than practical, two are practically obligatory, and it requires a feat that focuses on personal combat when it's mostly a support package.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:12:07 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Ace Legend and An Ally of Justice grant the feat, but you still need to activate it in the case of Evade/Defend.

The detail with wargear supply is that it's one level lower of what you can usually get (plus you need either swift+move or double move to get it). How they get there ? Who knows. Maybe just by crashing in at high speed. Maybe they were there all along waiting for you, prepared in advance.

Come to Me is an iconic super robot ability.

I needed 4 options per feat but couldn't remember anything else, so yes pure crafting ho!  :p

Cha still beats everything else in the skills department.

Communication/Warp isn't that much of a tax if you take in account you can only benefit from one at a time. So if you're in combat you can always switch to the bonus feats, whereas the Real/Super need to drop their bonus feats to benefit from the other stuff.

EDIT: And what if I drop the Born To Fight prerequisite from Heaven-Sailing Dragon?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:17:49 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
If they're so good at infiltration into Places Lesser Men Dare Not Go, why are we the heroes, again? Nevertheless, a bunch of useful Arsenal equipment is lower level, since you just don't have space (and it alternates shields/armour, so if you only have one in your basic load-out, you can casually grab the other).

Come to Me is definitely iconic, I just find it a bit odd, since there's the 'HOW THE HELL DID THIS GET HERE' thing. Though maybe all Super Robots are now Nono. That would work.

I mean that their utility--long distance communication and transport--make spending the two feats pretty obligatory, especially if the campaign is tending towards space opera.

I honestly don't think Pure Crafting is that useful. You only get the plain benefits; the weaponry doesn't come with Power, Rending or an attack bonus; several materials for armour and shields are pretty useless in these situations; and all the good defensive benefits require two matching items. If you have any good SU abilities or UMD tools, they're also getting in the way. So, uh... not the best addition. Hmm...

EDIT: Without the prerequisite, it's a lot more attractive. Spend a feat at level 6 (if you've been focusing on a very support-oriented ship rather than BEAMCANNON, HO), get the communication and transport.

Not entirely sure of the utility of Jamming, but eh. :p
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:24:26 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
They're not that good. You are that good, and it's only thanks to your tactical genius that they got so far ahead. And then they die and you're still alive to tell the story. :p

Pretty much every named Kurogane No Linebarrel character with a personal robot can use Come to Me,  and there's quite a bit of named characters with personal robots in that series.  :P
(click to show/hide)

Over the Top now allows you to grant Pure Metal properties to one of your mecha's weapons.

Removed Born to Fight from Heaven-Sailing Dragon prerequisites.

Changed jamming to just reduce energy recovery if you're using it simultaneously with commonications. It's useful to prevent enemies from alerting the rest of the planet and stuff.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
Hm...

Question

Does Pure Adamantine's 'ignore half DR' stack with... Rending, I think it is? (An exception to the not-granting-rending thing, but since that's all it would do... @_@)

Only other useful metals look like Pure Iron and Pure Mythril, Gold is a diplomatic tool, Silver is anti-undead, and Cold Iron is more Caster focused.  :lmao

Teleporting Super Robot! XD

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:18 AM »
Come to Me can be abused terribly I feel like because of this
"...It arrives instantly and at full energy..."

Whats to stop some one from hopping out of their still operational but low on energy (or out of energy) mecha in the middle of a battle, using some extra move actions thing, and immediately using Come to Me to refill the energy and hop back in one round? Something like giving this option a cooldown could maybe help with that. Or making it usable only once per encounter? Better yet, it only works when the mecha has more than a certain level of energy? Say 1/2 or 2/3?

I dunno. *shrugs*

Edit: What was edited into the Super Robots List? I'm not seeing mention of anything or I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:41:44 AM by ketaro »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
It now requires it to be at full energy, so that line becomes redundant.
Should there be a pilot feat for Into the Dangerzone too?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
Yeah I edited that one, but forgot to point it out here. Busy busy.

And there should be a pilot feat for Into the Danger Zone. When I get another burst of inspiration. :p
(ideas welcome tough)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
Feat suggestion: 'Advanced Combat Model' or somesuch. Let's an Android have one Accessory in addition to their weapon. Again, non-functional in the mecha.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Good idea, done.

Also changed the Strike spirit cost to 30.

Speaking of which, can anyone sugest me how an ideal layout would be for this when I have the time to organize? One new thread for all mecha general rules, including muticlassing notes?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
Right, as I see it:

• The Real Robot List and Real Pilot threads would be integrated, the Super Robot and Super Pilot, and Battleships and Ship Captain. There's not much reason to have them spread across six threads.
  • The mecha basics section would include the stuff it does now, multiclassing rules in the next post, general maneuver stuff (energy requirements), and how spirits work. It'd also have a post for mecha and weapon properties. Basically, the basics section would be where to look for the 'How X Works' stuff.
  • All feats transferred to the feats thread, along with Funnels.

Aside from rearranging, there's also making sure that all the rules for a single property etc. are in one place rather than needing multiple disparate threads open to check the ruling for something (this especially crops up with the Super Robot list, where it references the Real Robot thread)

I can't say there's anything else I can think of that's necessary, but I'd condense all four schools into one thread, or get  a subforum and put them in there. :lmao
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:20:54 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
I second the mech merge. Set up all the rules to the mechs in a single thread. All the upgrade rules, cost, and who can take then in a single post rather than two threads, etc.

When you merged your Funnel Feats into the main Feat thread you now have a half empty Funnel thread that contains enough. The thread should probably be deleted, or at least contain copypasta.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
Will take care of the great re-organization once I've stablized my D&D campaigns.

Meanwhile, mechas now ignore hardness and DR against non-mecha targets smaller than themselves.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I'm having trouble working out how Who The Hell Do You Think I Am is supposed to work. What does it... you know, do?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
Buffs two skills of your choice (or two of Str, Con or Cha checks) until you end it or activate another option of I am Invincible!

The insight bonus is equal to the highest level Burning Justice maneuver you can use.

On another note, hopefully I'll  be able to finally make the big clean-up around here this weekend.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
Any of those skills, or just those you don't have ranks in?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
Those you dont have ranks in, correct.