Author Topic: Interest Check: Shadowcaster Errata Mini-Handbook  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Larkas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Shadowcaster Errata Mini-Handbook
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
I've been thinking about making a really small handbook on Ari Marmell's fixes for the Shadowcaster. Basically, it would present his proposed fixes for the class (mainly on the second post in that thread, but there is information scattered elsewhere in it) in a format not unlike official errata. Is there any interest for that?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Shadowcaster Errata Mini-Handbook
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
Here is (was) the most recent handbook:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=498.0

... sans this errata of course.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Larkas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
The main part of the errata is actually found in Reply #10 on that thread. It doesn't cover the small things Ari said in the rest of the topic, however.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
Just use my fix.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »
Was there more than just the first post of his? I'd love to get a true summary, if there's more to it, I was using that first list as my official errata.

SirPercival, personal fixes are okay, but personally, I take fixes-by-the-author as next best thing to actual errata, in terms of authority. Homebrew fixes are a good five points down the scale by comparison.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05:43 AM »
Was there more than just the first post of his? I'd love to get a true summary, if there's more to it, I was using that first list as my official errata.

SirPercival, personal fixes are okay, but personally, I take fixes-by-the-author as next best thing to actual errata, in terms of authority. Homebrew fixes are a good five points down the scale by comparison.
My fix incorporates the author fixes, and then adds some class features.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »

My fix incorporates the author fixes, and then adds some class features.

Exactly. Your fix is it's own thing, and very unofficial, no matter how much of it may be based on semi-official suggestions. As good as it may be as a Shadowcaster fix, it's still muddied (as far as officialness is concerned) by the additional alterations you made. And if you hadn't make any alterations, it wouldn't really be your fix, it would just be the author's fixes, which is exactly what Larkas is trying to do here.

Offline Larkas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:32:16 AM »

There isn't much more, but there are a couple of other things that might come up at the game table. I'll whip up the mini-handbook, then!

@SirPercival: I've actually used your fix to great effect once! However, this mini-handbook is aimed at those people who aren't too sold on using homebrew in their games, be it as a DM or as a player. As RedWarlock said, an author's fix is the next best thing after an official errata, and in many games where homebrew won't fly, such a fix can be used without much fuss. Anyways, YMMV, but I think that each piece has its place. :)