Author Topic: Arcane Dilettante ROUND TWO  (Read 11346 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Dilettante ROUND TWO
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
Huh? *checks* Hmm... Oops.
CF1 would be cast @CL20 for a +10 bonus.
CF2 would be cast @30 (20 base + 10 spell) for a +15 bonus.
CF3 would be cast @35 (20 base + 15 spell) for a +17 bonus.

Totally spaced on the TO trick required Greater Consumptive Field to store CLs back and forth so it operates like
CF1 would be cast @CL20 for a +10 bonus.
GCF1 would be cast @30 (20 base + 10 spell) for a +15 bonus.
CF2 would be cast @45 (20 base + 10 cf + 15 gcf) for a +22 bonus.

And that's what made it TO too, stacking the greater with the normal even through it's kind of the same effect.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
Kell, you're welcome to post your build or otherwise check my math.

There are two ways to read the feat.
No there isn't.
Sigh. Notice I didn't say correct reading. That's the reason I showed the math for when you look at the trick the wrong way.

And yes BLs do wierd things with CL shenanigans. But if you'd like to challenge some of the math, I have it all laid out. For instance Ice9 being nice enough to list of the Consumptive field iterations helped.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
Revisiting this, without using any Master Spellthief shenanigans or Mind Mage, I think the highest CL possible will be from breaking all spells on a Wizard/Red Wizard/SCM into cantrips, then using Circle Magic to Heighten them 20 slots to 20th level slots (for free +20 CL from Earth Spell) while also going off of a base CL of 40 (also from Circle Magic), then tacking on the usual CL boosters, casting GCF, building a Node, and finally casting GCF again, this time persisting it.  One could obviously keep making the Node bigger, but at that point it's a lot simpler to keep CF/GCF stacking.

I'll have to go digging for the Mind Mage thread - that one had some absolutely ludicrous potential.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
Sounds about right. I consider circle magic's 20th level spell slots 3e fixable territory, since I can't find any other instance of higher than 9th level slots being mentioned in non-epic material. I'm fine with epic spellcasting being different from historical 10th level spellslots, but 11th to 20th level spells seems right out.

Node magic seems to be a case of mother may I with the campaign setting when it's more than just a few CL.

Since GCF is NI and loopable, I don't consider it a CO contender.

You're right that allowing ML -> CL  and visa versa is probably the easiest way to win. It is a contender I was aware of but not comparing directly. It gets messy without nerfing full psionics transparency.

If we aren't doing the above, I'm specifically comparing the Arcane Dilettante CL to circle magic's CL boost (which requires campaign world cooperation or leadership for fuel) and consumptive field (which can be fueled by magic items). As I suspected, doing things the non-fueled, brute force way is a ton of work and at best 15 CL over circle magic's CL40.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
(tangenting a little)

... I can't find any other instance of higher than 9th level slots being mentioned in non-epic material. I'm fine with epic spellcasting being different from historical 10th level spellslots, but 11th to 20th level spells seems right out ...

iirc - Breaking The Core included self generated Miracle+'s and Wish+'s , and an a.h. supply of some of the Deck Of Many Things effects.  But your point is right, it's only by inference that one knows they're stronger than 9s.

2e Outlands Hinterlands section, has (had) a 10th Ring with actual 10th level spells not just the slots , 11th Ring with 11s , 12s at the 12th Ring with a specific gawd-killer spell attempted and succeeding for a short period of time.

The writers from that period are spread out and hard to find, as are their leftover web pages.  This one is probably 99% legit (I don't know, I don't have any access to originals) ... and the really interesting part, is elsewhere (I've really lost this part) his realm is deep in the 11th Ring and quite comfortable about being there.  Fluff-wise this dude is in the running for the most powerful semi-statted thing in ancient d&d history.
(click to show/hide)
Your codpiece is a mimic.