Author Topic: I feel lost  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
I feel lost
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »
I'm filled with the urge to create at the moment. It is getting really damn strong.

But I have a block. Damn it.

I've been trying to homebrew something for the last week plus. The only thing I've managed was a single desultory template I'm actually ashamed of.
I've tried to write, but my prose feels like so much drivel, so I can't get past the first damn sentence.
I've tried to make art, but every aborted attempt just drives me further into distraction.

This is almost physically painful. And the thing is, when I get like this, I feel like I'm slipping through the mental cracks of those around me.

I just gotta keep on trying though, right? Because the thing is, this urge to create tends to be my response to stress, at least before it turns to rage. I can't identify a source of stress (except maybe writer's block), so it is even more aggravating.

Hell, the amount of second-guessing that I did to this post was in itself excessive.

Oh well. Time to try again.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: I feel lost
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
want some help?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:12 AM »
Thanks; I don't know, at the moment.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
Do you have a video game you can turn to when you've got the creative urge going, like Minecraft or Terraria, or something else perhaps like Scribblenauts?  Or would any video game even be compatible with what you want to do?

Though, if you're stressed out a hot shower or bath might help you relax and unwind your mind, if that kind of thing works for you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:33:25 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:54:05 AM »
Nah, I have Minecraft, but its not what I need.

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »
Sometimes inspiration comes from the most unusual of sources... A cover of a magazine, an odd architectural detail you never noticed before, a weird looking piece of jewellery...
Go for a walk and be on the lookout for the mundane. Focusing too much on the "problem" may aggravate things, just relax a bit and keep your mind off it for a while; the answer may be right under your nose and you're missing it because your focus is on other things.

Just my two cents. It usually works for me... :tongue

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
I just gotta keep on trying though, right?
I'd say yes. If the quality of your recent work is bothering you, try not to get discouraged. Not every thing you create is going to be gold, but you get better through practice.

If you're having trouble thinking of what to do, try something entirely different. What that is, I can't say, but trying something might be refreshing. It might give you further insight or inspiration into what you actually want to do.

I've been working on a rather extensive Doom mod for several months, largely consisting of three parts. When I get sick of one part, I try to move onto another. That, or I play Borderlands and forget about it for a day or two. :p
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »
Have you tried the Andrew Dice Clay method ??

(click to show/hide)

OK, so what was the problem now?
Your codpiece is a mimic.