Author Topic: Subforum Readme  (Read 1551 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Honorary Mod
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Subforum Readme
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Q) What is this thread?
A) This is where I intercept expected questions readers may have and answer new questions. If you have something not below, feel free to post here even if this is not to the thread you are talking about. Just link/quote the one you are referencing so I can help reply to comments.

Q) What is this subforum?
A) It's two things. Firstly its a full text dump of every part of the MetaCompendium. Secondly I'll also jamming in here an archive of every important post or thread I make (and others). No one else might care about that part, but if when the next board dies, it will save me a lot of trouble digging.

Q) What are (RT) and (MC) threads?
A) RT stands for random threads and MC stands for meta compendium. Basically, if its part of what a DM needs to fix 3e, it belongs in the metacompendium. Otherwise its just random stuff that is placed here to save/share it easily.

Q) Alright PMBC, what gives? You basically stopped posting half a year ago. This has been up and empty for a season. I want to reference 3rd edition modularly fixed already!
A) I slowed down for a long while, unsure if this sub-board would even happen. I hate to bother people for things and didn't want to pester the admins. Basically my massive D&D theory crafting is a lorrey roaring down the high way and it just got too much load added in with no stopping point in sight. I basically "pulled the plug" on adding anything more to the entire browsers full of tabs I wanted to reply/update/do/etc unless I could unload what I already had in the queue. Once the emergency break got pulled, I didn't have the energy to fire up the engines until I did some other cleaning.

Q) What did you do in the meantime?
A) I worked on modifying other games. Rimworld (fun), darkest dungeon (not worth it now that cheat engine tables are missing the speed up script), Dark Souls 3 online, 100% NG, clear Londor, no enemy revive (so ... much ... research ... required). Xcom 2 "all of the mods" got interrupted by steam trying to extort me. Really.

Q) Why did you do all this? Why haven't you "moved on" to 5e?
A) I had to, or atleast I'm the only one who can. First of all this was done before 5e, when 4e was still failing. Remember that both 4e and Pathfinder were tauted as "fixing" 3e. Both just ended up becoming 'not D&D' because you simply can't use your 3e builds when playing those separate systems. Lastly, 5e is a magic tea party E6 / 4e hybrid. It does not recreate 3e. It is merely a wishy-washy subset, a shadow of the former glory that is 3e. I said this from the beginning and now that 5e has been out for a few years the "it's still new!" cries have slunk back into their shadow and just become a 'it's what's out now' shrug like 4e before it.
(click to show/hide)

Q) Wait, Pathfinder didn't fix 3e? What about Frank and K's tomes? I thought I saw someone on GitP fix all of 3rd edition once. Are you really saying that no one else has ever balanced D&D before you?
A) If people object to the sky being blue, every other comprehensive system fix has been like saying you can change the color of the atmosphere by draining away all the air. You haven't fixed the sky being blue, you've just thrown out the sky. Every other fix has simply thrown 3e out and replaced it with something that isn't D&D anymore. I haven't. My fixed 3e feels exactly like a normal, gentleman's agreement game of D&D. The difference is, my fixes allow you to take off the training wheels, strap on the jet pack of high-level, optimized play and still have it ride straight. No veering off to crash and burn like normal. And you're still on a bike rather than a submarine or something.

Q) So if I want to play a balanced game of D&D, do I have to use your fixes?
A) Only if you want any level of optimization and to avoid magical tea part (aka DM fiat). Basically I do all the 'dirty work' of figuring out what actually needs the ban hammer, and what can stay if treated with slight care/fixing. With clever enough players and enough play time, you'll either let you campaigns get smashed or you'll take positions at least as logically strong as mine. I save you that headache. You're welcome.

Q) But if I have unicorn players who never break the game...
A) Podcast that for proof. Otherwise it aint real. If it is real but you can't show me, then they probably dress in a fluffy pink outfit and go dance on rainbows.

Q) Can I ask questions elsewhere beside this thread?
A) Sure, but I might not see it. When in doubt, PM.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Honorary Mod
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Subforum Readme
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »
Reserved, just in case space is needed. Now you can go post in my centralized response thread. It's easy. Just cut what you get when you hit the quote button, and paste it over there along with your keystrokes.