Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328190 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Maybe a typo?

- All its mental ability scores receive a base of 36, which is even better than PAOing into a black ethergaunt or Sarrukh. Also, do not forget the awesome +2 dex!

You are right about the awakened tree. Still plant traits + construct traits + hardness + 36 Int & Cha & Wis is pretty darn good.

I assumed so at first, as well, but it instead looks like a misunderstanding rather than a typo (due to multiple instances and comparison to black ethergaunts, which have 31 INT).

Wasn't there an old thread about Awaken being Maximize/Empower capable, giving you a 27 base? Maybe it has something to do with that?

The aforementioned 36 ability scores were due to applying the epic metamagic feat Intensify Spell (everything's 2x maximum) to Awaken.

Offline SAI Peregrinus

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »
There is no magic pants slot. When creating characters above first level I've seen many people skip buying an outfit. Depending on their armor that means there are many, many pantsless adventurers out there. And most of the ones in full plate probably have some painful pinching problems.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:26 AM »
No pants?  Then how do bards summon black bread? *wrongaudianceforjoke*

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2013, 07:37:41 AM »
There is no magic pants slot. When creating characters above first level I've seen many people skip buying an outfit. Depending on their armor that means there are many, many pantsless adventurers out there. And most of the ones in full plate probably have some painful pinching problems.
They skip it because it's free, doesn't count toward encumbrance, or really matter.  For the first set, anyway.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
They skip it because it's free, doesn't count toward encumbrance, or really matter.  For the first set, anyway.
Is it only in pathfinder that the outfits have weight?

Also, I never forget; hot weather gear is available, and gives you a bonus against hot environments. Free +2 (or is it +4?) against the whole Hey-You're-In-A-Desert plot device? Sure!

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
No, outfits in 3.5 have weight.  The first one is just free and doesn't count for encumberance.  If you carry more than that, then it counts against you.

However, the free clothes is from a short list of outfits, which neither cold weather nor hot weather gear is on.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
No, outfits in 3.5 have weight.  The first one is just free and doesn't count for encumberance.  If you carry more than that, then it counts against you.

However, the free clothes is from a short list of outfits, which neither cold weather nor hot weather gear is on.
I always thought it was just <10 gp.

Boy, I play pathfinder WAY too much to try to do 3.5 on these boards xnx

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
As I had recently suggested the use of Shadow Templar for Swiftblade, I decided to do another skim through of the Dark Sun PrCs, these stood out to me

Ambofari: progresses any spellcasting or manifesting class 6/10, Turn/Rebuke at 3rd

Royal Animator: They have a number of bonuses that can be applied to undead, that could also be considered in the creation of a Necropolitan - as per the usual usage of Dread Necromancer, CorpseCrafter, Desecrated, etc.

Elite Sniper: At a glance, looks like it actually might function as advertised, without spells

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
Changeling Morphing Serren Elvencraft Bow

elvencraft allows your bow to become a quarterstaff in melee.
changeling changes the type of weapon.
morphing changes within the type.

thus you can have your bow become any light, one-handed, two-handed, or ranged weapon
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »

thus you can have your bow become any light, one-handed, two-handed, or ranged weapon
What's the cost on that? (Including +X bonus?)

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
And where's Changeling from?

JaronK

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

JaronK
Extrapolated from the type-shifting Spear, I presume.
(longspear, shortspear)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
A +1 changeling morphing serren elvencraft longbow costs ~14,625gp
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »

Technically, morphing doesn't allow you to change the number of hands, so you could have any ranged weapon and two handed weapon. Changeling is a WSA that only works on spears. And technically, it's short spear, long spear, normal spear, so you'd be limited to one-handed and two-handed. Although I think that the halfspear, that was eliminated from 3.0 to 3.5, technically would become a light weapon under 3.5 rules. Still trying to work that one out. Regardless, it's not a form allowed by changeling.

What you are looking for is Morphing/Everchanging. If you take the everychanging blade from underdark, it does what you want. When I worked it out, Everchanging WSA property is the following:

(click to show/hide)

JaronK

(click to show/hide)

Seriously guys, I already did all this work on WSA 2.03 handbook. Give me a few more weeks and I'll finish the break down of all the Special weapons. Up to page 104 of 181 of very tiny 8 point font. SHould give you a gaggle of interesting finds.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:48 AM »
welll... sooorrryy :-p

yeah morphing doesn't change the number of hands, but if you add sizing, you can have any of the three.

Medium Longsword is a short sword for a giant and a greatsword for a halfling
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2013, 04:55:01 AM »

yeah morphing doesn't change the number of hands, but if you add sizing, you can have any of the three.

Isn't this only true in 3.0?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »

Sort of...

I suppose in one way of looking at it, it would work, but then you'd have to deal with a -2/-4 penalty all the time. But from a RAW point of view, I'd err on the size of caution and state that while sizing does change the number of hands needed, it doesn't change the number of hands the weapon uses. A huge one-handed weapon is still a huge one handed weapon, even if you are using exotic weapon feat/monkey grip to wield it.

It's poorly worded. For example:

Bastard Sword is a two handed weapon, unless you take the exotic weapon feat, then it's one handed. So I turn my quarterstaff into a bastard sword, then I can turn it into a short sword? If you say that only works if I have the feat, then what happens when I take Aptitude/Proficient/Skillful? How about the Great Bow?

I'd take a sledgehammer to the whole thing and start over with clear cut defined stats and qualities that can be easily understood. Weapon construction is full of problems like this. I never noticed before until I started "looking under the hood" so to speak.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »

Correct. Both because the weapon size rules are different (in 3.5, each weapon has a size of creature that its sized for, and each size category difference makes it one step easier or harder to use and also imposes a -2 penalty on attack rolls), and because, just from an absolute standpoint, a Medium longsword deals 1d8 damage but a Small greatsword deals 1d10 damage. Larger and smaller weapons of similar types are only the same if you use the weapon equivalencies variant, as described on page 27 of the DMG.

Offline Demelain

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Quote from: PHB p.113
Inappropriately Sized Weapons:A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder.
Thus, a human wielding a Small dagger takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls (one size category different), and an ogre wielding a Small longsword takes a –4 penalty (two size categories different). If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon (a wizard attempting to wield a Small battleaxe, for instance), a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.
The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or twohanded weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For instance, a Small greatsword (a two-handed weapon for a Small creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a light weapon for a Large creature. Conversely, a Large dagger (a light weapon for a Large creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a two-handed weapon for a Small creature. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

I'm partial to using small-size reach weapons (glaives, longspears) on Medium sized creatures. Closest thing to a hoplite I can manage.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
/\
 |
this is what I was referring to, just didn't say from what. This means a Medium Longsword is one-handed for a Medium creature, two-handed for a Small creature, and light for a Large creature. Thus w sizing, it can morph into any non-ranged weapon.

obviously that Underdark item is better
- All Spells
- playground