Author Topic: Soulblade Luv  (Read 20973 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Incarnum
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
All right, I can see some issues with the weapon soulmelds, but I'm going to address them all at once. It's going to take a while.

I shall await your feedback and then begin the revisions and new requests

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
*smacks bhu*

I just gotta say, after WotC made a half-assed mockery of what chakras are, I'm amazed that you took it a step further. Maybe for the sake of a game, centers of personal power that exist apart from your body that you can bind to your soul make sense, but these are so far divorced from chakras that I'm amazed you didn't change the name. Fluff and flavor, it would have been preferable. :-\

Also, why aren't Listen, Sense Motive and Spot class skills? Should the Soulborn be oblivious to their surroundings? Should the class that focuses on knowing soul energy inside and out be oblivious to what other people are feeling and thinking that they're not saying?

Edit: Slightly nonsequitor, but threads like this are exactly why I love these boards. It's so fantastic to see what others can come up with, and the honest critiques and criticisms makes me look forward to sharing my own work. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:30:17 PM by Drammor »
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
*smacks bhu*

I just gotta say, after WotC made a half-assed mockery of what chakras are, I'm amazed that you took it a step further. Maybe for the sake of a game, centers of personal power that exist apart from your body that you can bind to your soul make sense, but these are so far divorced from chakras that I'm amazed you didn't change the name. Fluff and flavor, it would have been preferable. :-\

Also, why aren't Listen, Sense Motive and Spot class skills? Should the Soulborn be oblivious to their surroundings? Should the class that focuses on knowing soul energy inside and out be oblivious to what other people are feeling and thinking that they're not saying?

Edit: Slightly nonsequitor, but threads like this are exactly why I love these boards. It's so fantastic to see what others can come up with, and the honest critiques and criticisms makes me look forward to sharing my own work. :)

Fluff and flavor always come second.  I try to get the rules right first, then I revisit and do up the fluffies.  Nothing is more disappointing than getting psyched up by decent fluff and then the rules are a massive anticlimax.  Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot aren't class skills for them for the same reason they aren't for most melee beatsticks or gishes, but if there's a decent enough reason I can always edit them in.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Soulblade Luv
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
GEIST

“It is from the Gods that man has learned cruelty, rapine, and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man.” 

Geists are Soulborns who have gravitated towards theft and assassination, squandering their abilities in the eyes of many.  Worse yet they eventually learn a form of tapping into Necrocarnum, ensuring their continued descent into Evil.

BECOMING A GEIST
Evil Soulborns are made for this class, but Incarnates and Totemists who snatch a Level of Rogue should do okay.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Class Abilities:  Smite Opposition, Sneak Attack +1d6, must be able to Bind Hands Chakra
   Alignment:  Chaotic or Lawful Evil.
   Skills:  Hide 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcane, Local) 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks
   Feats:  Indigo Strike and Cobalt Critical or Cobalt Precision

Class Skills
 The Geist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable  Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Str), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcane, Local)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 6 + int

Hit Dice: d6

Code: [Select]
[b]   BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities[/b]
1. +0    +0     +2     +2    Essential Skills, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
2. +1    +0     +3     +3    +1d6 Sneak Attack, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
3. +2    +1     +3     +3    Necrocarnum Shadow, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
4. +3    +1     +4     +4    Essential Skills, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
5. +3    +1     +4     +4    +2d6 Sneak Attack, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
6. +4    +2     +5     +5    Necrocarnum Shadow, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
7. +5    +2     +5     +5    Essential Skills, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
8. +6    +2     +6     +6    +3d6 Sneak Attack, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
9. +6    +3     +6     +6    Necrocarnum Shadow, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class
10.+7    +3     +7     +7   Onyx Kiss, +1 Level of existing Meldshaping Class

Weapon Proficiencies: A Geist gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Essential Skills (Su): At 1st Level chooose any 4 skills.  For every point of Essentia you invest in this ability, those skills gain a +2 Enhancement Bonus.  At 4th Level you may choose two additional skills, and at 7th Level you may choose two more additional skills.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Identical to the Rogue ability on page 50 of the PHB.

Necrocarnum Shadow (Su): At 3rd Level you may invest Essentia in a black shroud of Necrocarnum that follows you.  Attacks against you gain a 10% miss chance per point of Essentia invested (this does not stack with miss chances granted by other abilities or effects.  If the miss chance is 20% or higher you may Hide in Plain Sight (see Ranger ability on page 48 of the PHB).

At 6th Level you also gain Lifesense with a range of 10 feet per point of Essentia invested.  Creatures with Lifesense may automatically sense Living creatures within range as thought they had Blindsight. They also automatically know the strength of their life force as if they had cast Deathwatch.

At 9th Level any time you successfully confirm a critical while you have Essentia invested in your Necrocarnum Shadow, your opponent gains a Negative Level.  24 hours later he must make a Willpower Save or the negative Level is permanent (Save DC is 10 plus 1/2 HD plus Charisma Modifier plus 1 for every Essentia invested.

Onyx Kiss (Su): At 10th Level any time you successfully confirm a critical while you have Essentia invested in your Necrocarnum Shadow, your opponent must make a Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma based) or die.  This is a death effect, and creatures who succeed on the Saving Throw still take a Negative Level.

PLAYING A GEIST
 Assassin's Guilds love you.  They always need killers with supernatural options.  The sheer availability of supernatural options these days make people like you a necessity.
 Combat: Like most assassins, you much prefer ambush to straight up fighting. 
 Advancement: Geists usually prefer abilities that make her job easier, as do their patrons.
Resources: Most Geists have several wealthy patrons.

GEISTS IN THE WORLD
"They say Lord Farthing was killed by a moving shadow..."
 People who need someone killed consider you a Godsend.  Presuming of course that they don't end up on your list.  You try to be choosy on jobs you take for this reason.  No sense biting the hand that feeds you.
 Daily Life: Life is generally pretty boring until you get a job, and when you're on the job it's 24/7.  No rest for the wicked.
 Notables:
 Organizations: Plenty of organizations have use for a killer wielding magical powers.

NPC Reaction
 You have the usual popularity due assassins and serial killers, which is to say none.

GEISTS IN THE GAME
 This assumes one of the PC's is a murderous outlaw, which could have bad implications for the rest of the party.
 Adaptation: This is meant for Evil campaigns, or at least Evil tolerant.
 Encounters: Geists are encountered pretty much anywhere you'd encounter assassins or saboteurs as they perform the same duties.

Sample Encounter
EL 12: The PC's are guarding a banquet hall, when they hear a loud scream and notice a local noble spitting blood before doing a faceplant in the ravioli.  Their future payment is probably in question if they can't find who did this.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed   ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

EPIC GEIST

Hit Die: d6
Skills Points at Each  Level : 6 + int
Sneak Attack Your Meldshaper Level continues to increase with Epic Levels, but you do not gain additional Essentia, Soulmelds, or Chakra Binds.
Meldshaping At Level 22 and every three Levels thereafter your Sneak Attack dice increases by +1d6.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Class Geist gains a Bonus Feat every 4 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:30:11 AM by bhu »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Any chance you could find a way to add another essentia receptacle or two? It just seems weird that from levels 3 through 11 (and again at 14, 15, and 18) a straight Soulborn has more essentia than he can fit in his soulmelds (and any other essentia receptacles he gets from his class, of which there aren't necessarily any). It kinda diminishes the class features that give more essentia or let you move it around faster. By contrast, the Totemist (and I think the Incarnate, but I haven't checked thoroughly) get essentia roughly equal to half its total essentia capacity from soulmelds across most levels.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
I have more stuff to add, I'm still awaiting feedback from the stuff already up.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
Any chance you could find a way to add another essentia receptacle or two? It just seems weird that from levels 3 through 11 (and again at 14, 15, and 18) a straight Soulborn has more essentia than he can fit in his soulmelds (and any other essentia receptacles he gets from his class, of which there aren't necessarily any). It kinda diminishes the class features that give more essentia or let you move it around faster. By contrast, the Totemist (and I think the Incarnate, but I haven't checked thoroughly) get essentia roughly equal to half its total essentia capacity from soulmelds across most levels.

You bring up a good point. Buh, I suggest either delaying some of the Essentia progression by a level or giving the Soulborn an extra Soulmeld/day at 3rd level. The former would be more balanced, but the latter isn't going to break anything.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »
I delayed getting a second essentia point to level 3.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
TIme to fire this sucker back up.  Anyone have thoughts on the Weapon Soulmelds before i begin?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
TIme to fire this sucker back up.  Anyone have thoughts on the Weapon Soulmelds before i begin?

Nobody?  Not one person thinks i messed this up?

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
Its all messed up  :P

Quibble: On you table you might want to shift your special melds to the end of the list, even though you can bind them earlier. Ex: Totemist

Secondly the base weapons for these melds needs to be bumped up so that they are the equivalent of an exotic weapon and you need to be specific as to its characteristics (light, one, two, reach, and/or specials). The later is a critical need at this point.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
all the weapons are one handed unless they say otherwise

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »
Since they didn't require much work I put up the following soulmelds on page 1: Crystal Helm, Impulse Boots, Gloves of the Poisoned Soul, Mauling Gauntlets, Fearsome Mask, Necrocarnum vestments, pauldrons of health, spellward shirt, strongheart vest, thunderstep boots, sighting gloves, silvertongue mask and wind cloack.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:59:09 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
Okay I finished Necrocarnum Mantle and Vampire Mantle.  I also added the Incarnum Mount to the Horseman's Circlet description, and teh Necrocarnum Shade to the post with the Racial acf's.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
I see what you want me to look at this one next, you were getting great feedback and then it all petered off.

Same process as last time all the previous times?  I'm better now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »
I see what you want me to look at this one next, you were getting great feedback and then it all petered off.

Same process as last time all the previous times?  I'm better now.

Yays!

Sure, same format.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't like the official Incarnum system and am not super knowledgeable about it.

First class looks fine.

What kind of damage does ARCHON'S TRUMPET do?  In fact, the way everything is worded you should probably add a damage type to all the weapon ones.  "Your xxx handed xxx weapon does xxx damage" is odd phrasing.

Done up to Cloak of Darkness.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
damage types added

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »
you still out there nan?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2018, 11:56:31 PM »
Yep.  I obviously forgot about this, where did I leave off?