Author Topic: Race Revisions  (Read 21416 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Race Revisions
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
I has modified, and await page 2 reviews :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
Nilbog Reversal is overpoweringly powerful.

Pegataur Druid ACF is missing the replacement animal companion list.

Nilbog Magekiller needs Spot as a skill.

Pegataur Mercenary also needs Spot.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
Fixed everything but Reversal, I need to think about it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
Also how does Reversal treat subdual damage?

Edit: Nevermind that question, it doesn't matter.

I have an idea on Reversal for you.

For the Class feature:

Reversal (Ex): Nilbogs suffer from an odd condition they refer to as 'the reversal' which can grow to encompass more effects as the Niblog becomes more powerful.  The effects of positive and negative energy are reversed for the Nilbog.  This means that positive energy effects (such as Healing spells) deal damage equal to the amount they would normally heal, and that negative energy effects (such as Inflict spells) heal damage equal to the amount they would normally cause.  A nilbog gains any extra hit points above its normal total as temporary hit points, though it can never have more than twice its normal hit points. (Excess hit points are simply lost.).  The effects of energy drain/negative levels caused by negative energy are also reversed, gaining bonuses instead of penalties (a Nilbog cannot gain spell slots due to this).  If the Nilbog is targeted by a positive energy effect that explicitly removes a specific number of negative levels, the Nilbog instead suffers that number of negative levels.

With this change, reduce the Nilbog level adjustment to +1.  I also like the explicit mentioning of what happens with negative levels since they're negative energy effects.

Then add a feat. Something like:

Damage Reversal
Your reversal has new and odd effects.
Prerequisites: Nilbog, 4 or more Nilbog Racial Feats
 Benefits: When struck by any attack or effect that would normally damage the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack or effect would have otherwise dealt. A nilbog gains any extra hit points above its normal total as temporary hit points, though it can never have more than twice its normal hit points. (Excess hit points are simply lost.). The nilbog can only be damaged through the use of curative magic and effects (cure light wounds and healing potions, for instance). Curative magic deals damage equal to the amount it would normally heal.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
I has made the appropriate changes!

Page three only has 2 races and PrC's, so it should go quick.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:58 PM »
Even worse for the Nilbog, have their fluff that they're in pain all the time be a bit crunchy. Consider that natural healing over time heals 1hp/HD/day; they take that as daily 'damage', even more damage if they're resting. They MUST get into fights and be active; they can't be lazy or laid-back or else they die.

Or cut themselves...uhh yeah they don't get the healing if they cut themselves...do they? :twitch :-\

Regarding the negative/positive levels, Positive levels have rules for both undead and living critters in one of the MM's (III or V, IIRC)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:24:38 PM by Chemus »
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:56 AM »
That would be super messed up... :o

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
Is that a good witch thing or a bad thing, bhu?

Which thing is messed up? The reverse healing, or the cutting, or the Positive levels?
My Homebrew

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
I think that Bhu is of the opinion that natural healing actually hurting the Nilbog is messed up and from a fluff perspective I would agree.  That would be the shittiest life...

Page 3

Sirine Hermit has Listen as a class skill, it needs spot.

Improved Versatile Touch feat should require Versatile Touch.

Also the Damage Reversal feat needs cleaned up (my fault).  Too much unneeded text.  It should say:

Benefits: When struck by any attack or effect that would normally do lethal damage to the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack or effect would have otherwise dealt (gaining temporary hit points as normal for the reversal racial feature if applicable).  Attacks and effects that do nonlethal damage or directly change the hit point total still take effect normally.  The nilbog can now be damaged by all spells and effects that heal damage, even if they aren't positive energy effects.  All healing spells and effects deal damage equal to the amount they would normally heal.  This does not include natural healing over time or healing enhanced by the Heal skill.

Okay, I'm actually on the fence about the natural healing thing since from a crunch perspective it would be easy to "heal" from if it did damage you but that would suck so bad for Nilbogs.....

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
Okay, I'm actually on the fence about the natural healing thing since from a crunch perspective it would be easy to "heal" from if it did damage you but that would suck so bad for Nilbogs.....
... and isn't that the fluff? Nilbogs have the shittiest life. They'd have lethal incentive to take on dangerous occupations, so becoming a murderhobo, or just getting eaten by the Tarrasque, would be perfect for them.

What about starvation, suffocation or forced marches?

Change it from damage to lethal damage; nonlethal damage affects them normally.

[edit] Treat it kinda like regeneration; "Anything that would otherwise deal lethal damage to a nilbog instead heals them for an equal amount. Anything that would normally heal a nilbog instead damages them for an equal amount. Nonlethal damage, and damage from suffocation or starvation, is not converted in this manner, but taken normally."

This seems simple, and I'm not married to the nonlethal bit, just seems right.[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:59:37 AM by Chemus »
My Homebrew

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
Starvation technically can't kill you, it only cause nonlethal damage.

Suffocation either causes nonlethal damage if it's slow suffocation or directly changes your hp total if it's normal suffocation.  No lethal damage there either.

I like the change to lethal though, I'll add that in.

Edit: Okay, it's edited in above.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
Bhu, any thoughts on the Nilbog being hurt by natural healing from this feat?  I'm actually leaning towards making that happen now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »
Is that a good witch thing or a bad thing, bhu?

Which thing is messed up? The reverse healing, or the cutting, or the Positive levels?

Having to cut yourself to heal daily, which isn't necessarily bad

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
Bhu, any thoughts on the Nilbog being hurt by natural healing from this feat?  I'm actually leaning towards making that happen now.
Im ok with it.

Kinda surprised you didnt have feedback on the Meenlocks.  It was a pretty weird one too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
New Damage Reversal Feat:

Benefits: When struck by any attack or effect that would normally do lethal damage to the nilbog, it actually gains hit points equal to the damage the attack or effect would have otherwise dealt (gaining temporary hit points as normal for the reversal racial feature if applicable).  Attacks and effects that do nonlethal damage or directly change the hit point total still take effect normally.  The nilbog is now damaged by all spells and effects that heal damage, even if they aren't positive energy effects (this includes natural healing).  All healing spells and effects deal damage equal to the amount they would normally heal.

Meenlock is weird but looked balanced.  Is there anything specific you're concerned about?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
Nothing specific, just that it seemed to lend itself more to NPC use.

Ready for next thread?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:25 PM »
Edit in the new damage reversal feat and we'll be good to go.  What's next?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2017, 12:50:56 AM »
Edit in the new damage reversal feat and we'll be good to go.  What's next?

You dont do 5e or 13th age stuff do you?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
I've looked at 5e but never played it.  I've never even looked at 13th Age.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
chaos monk next then?