Author Topic: Can you persist a spell with a fixed duration?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Can you persist a spell with a fixed duration?
« on: February 08, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Hello, can persist a spell with a fixed duration?  Let's say i want to persist owl's insight that have a fixed duration of 1 hour, can i do it? Leave aside the "range touch" thing of owl's insight and focus on the duration. Persisting a 24h duration spell would be pointless, you apply the metamagic feat but it does nothig but still  but other than that you can apply the feat to any spell that has a fixed range and it's not instantaneous so a spell with a 1 hour duration it's persistable right?
I know it's a silly question but a player of mine insisted that only spells with a duration of rounds/level, minutes/level and hours/level can be persisted, i already told him that the only issue with persistent spell feat is the fixed or personal range and not the duration (other than instantaneous ofc) but still better ask here to be sure i haven't missed any official errata, faq ecc

Thanks
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you persist a spell with a fixed duration?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
In the FAQ they advise:

Quote from: WotC FAQ, pg 92
The mass lesser vigor spell has a fixed range (of 20 feet), which makes it eligible for the revised Persistent Spell feat in PG. Does that mean a 17th-level druid could use a 9thlevel spell slot to give nine creatures fast healing 1 for 24 hours, or does the built-in limit of 25 rounds make that pointless?

Unlike Extend Spell, Persistent Spell replaces a spell’s normal duration with a new duration of 24 hours. In this case, the effect overrides the normal maximum duration of the spell, so it would indeed grant nine creatures fast healing 1 for 24 hours (a pretty reasonable effect for a 9th-level spell).

So that leads me to believe you definitely can persist something with a fixed duration, so long as it meets the other criteria.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you persist a spell with a fixed duration?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »
i already told him that the only issue with persistent spell feat is the fixed or personal range and not the duration (other than instantaneous ofc)
Discharged spells also can't be made Persistent. Persistent Spell replaces durations rather than modifying what's there, which means that, if it were permitted on such spells, it'd potentially remove the "or until expended" (the ELH's rules for Epic spells appear to bear this out, as Epic Spell Reflection - which has the x5 DC multiplier for "permanent duration" replacing "Until expended or 12 hours" - appears to not be discharged the way Reflect-seed normally is).

So you can't Persist Spell Turning, True Strike, Moment of Prescience, etcetera. This is a good thing, methinks.