Author Topic: Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter Thread  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter Thread
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
Greetings, all!

KotC2 has a Kickstarter!  As of this writing (Feb 14, 2019) it isn't yet live, but it'll be soon enough!

The game's author kindly explained what Knights of the Chalice 2 is(n't).

The Knights of the Chalice series is a turn-based adaptation of the Open Gaming License (OGL) rules for D&D 3.5.  The first KotC stuck fairly close the the rules as written, but KotC2 seems more interested in adapting and expanding them for the sake of a better game.

I've already offered the author extensive feedback regarding many aspects of the game, some of which is slated to be in the final release.

As an aside, Knights of the Chalice is soon scheduled to arrive on Steam, GOG, and possibly other PC gaming platforms!

Enjoy!

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »
You mention changing level up bonuses to apply to +1 to two stats. Saga Edition did this and it worked to make all characters significantly broader without losing ability. One physical and one mental helps tier 1s a little (wizard gets a bit more AC and to-hit with rays, battle cleric is even more viable) and helps martials a lot.

May be worth noting the OGL never explicitly calls out how ability scores increase with level. Though since Pathfinder use the same rate and the SRD still mentions
Treat monster Hit Dice the same as character level for determining ability score increases. This only applies to Hit Dice increases, monsters do not gain ability score increases for levels they "already reached" with their racial Hit Dice, since these adjustments are included in their basic ability scores.
I assume that since it can be reverse engineered from the example advanced monsters that are covered under OGL there's no legal issues. I think this is the case for a few other rules regarding advancement as well (feat rate can clearly obtained with the same process).