Author Topic: Epic Level Shadowcraft Mage  (Read 3017 times)

Offline merkwerdigeliebe

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Epic Level Shadowcraft Mage
« on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:01 AM »
I am playing a fairly high optimization campaign where I play a Wizard/Shadowcraft Mage/Shadowcrafter/Shadow Adept. Like I said, a fair amount of optimization is necessary, but 'broken' is frowned upon (i.e. Shadow miracles, and that kind of stuff). The rest of the party is rather large and includes a RKV (BSF), an Erudite+Arch Psion (blaster), a druid (with dragon wildshape+planar shepherd, but I've never seen him use any of it), a rogue build that I'm not super clear on the details (glass cannon), a lyric thuermaturge/sublime chord (face+dispeller) and a wizard/abjurant champion/paragnostic apostle/saint (gish). Many 'tricks' are acceptable for example: I am currently running with earth spell+residual metamagic+0th level silent images+etc., but force caging/trapping the soul everything is not okay.

Despite the fact that we are level 17-18, we fight mostly epic monsters. The DM is generally one person, but could be variable, and we generally don't play with everyone present.

*Eventually*, we will be entering epic levels, and I am at a loss as to go from there. I am not super familiar with epic levels or epic spell casting. However, most of my party has run epic characters. From what I am aware of, they have mostly maintained the epic spell casting rules, but done away with the epic spells provided. In effect, you still take a feat for epic spell casting and epic spell casting slots, but need group approval for epic spells specific to your character. Shadow conjuration/evocation has not been discussed yet, as it has never come up before.

While epic level is on the horizon, it is certainly inevitable. I am mostly making this post as a thought experiment. I do not see many epic level postings on this board. I am wondering what are decent options for how to proceed as an epic Shadowcraft mage? How should epic shadow conjuration/evocation function?

I have been considering suggesting implementing this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37410 instead of epic spellcasting. I think it is a better system, but I know a lot of the other players (along with the DM) are a fan of making epic spells, even if they agree the epic spellcasting system has its flaws.

Buildwise, I have been considering the following:
-Ultimate magus (with a beguiler entry)
-Anima Mage (with a binder entry)
-Continuing Shadowcrafter progression
-Mind Mage (from Dragon Magazine [would require approval] with a psion entry)

Keep in mind, I'm tending towards a practical optimization standpoint, while trying to maintain fun/relevance for my party members and not frustrate the DM. I tend to focus on summoning+battlefield control.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:42:01 AM by merkwerdigeliebe »

Offline merkwerdigeliebe

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Level Shadowcraft Mage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »
Oops. Hit quote instead of modify. Delete if possible.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
I prefer that Epic spellcasting variant myself.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
You have many options for epic.

Cleric 1/Dweomerkeeper 4 for supernatural spell.

Initiator dips.  Picking up 6-7th level maneuvers with a single level dip allows you to save some spell slots while getting things like EX teleportation, Iron Heart Surge, White Raven Tactics, etc.

Factotum allows you to add your crazy INT to everything a few times per encounter and gets pretty crazy if you take it further.

Incantatrix is an option especially if your DM rules you keep the spells of the banned school that you already wrote down (like the 3.0 version did.)

Nightmare spinner dip gives you a bunch of free spell slots and immunity to fear.

Mindbender dip + Mindsight allows you to detect most things.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
Factotum3 lets you add your INT mod to initiative.

I prefer Incantatrix in my Shadowcraft Mage builds.  It feels right:  Ix10 gets you Improved Metamagic, Ix3 gets you Metamagic Effect, and anything else is just gravy.

A Warblade dip gets you White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge.  (Choose Bolstering Voice as your stance to meet prereqs.)  Swordsage1 gets you +1 initiative, Weapon Focus, and Shadow Stride (50' move action teleport within line of sight and line of effect) among other things, like save swap maneuvers.

Escalation Mage (Faiths of Eberron 52) fits thematically.  Take 5 levels to freely quicken some spells.

It largely depends on what you want to do.