Author Topic: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"  (Read 19444 times)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"
« on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
You were all awoken in the morning by sailors, the Marathon which you arranged your passage on hasn't moved in 3 days.  Today early in the morning you were told the ship was going to be setting sail and that it would leave shortly after dawn.  Those of you with over a 12 str were able to get passage for free on agreement that you would row, and those without paid whatever the fee was (funds just assumed to be spent).  He already had a full compliment so no one in the party is expecting pay after the voyage.

The nobility around Crete has rallied at Knossos to train an army in an attempt to maintain independence.  The meager soldiers you've seen won't be enough.  The docks are almost bare today some of the fisherman have tried to sail to a different island, and over half of the Cretan nobility has fled on other ships, but still at the outgoing ship there is a crowd, it seems there is still space for a few desperate enough to pay the now inflated price. The Marathon is one of the last to leave.  She's an older smaller ship.  She only has a single set of oars more for maneuvering than traveling distances, but she carries two sails. The dock has been built out to see to help unload ships.

The docks were humid again today and Captain Melius had gathered his crew, along with his passengers.  There is a decent breeze but unfortunately it heads south.  For the last 3 days he has not been willing to set sail.  Complaining that the wind would be against them it would be faster and easier to wait, but reports from the city showed that Spartan scouts had been cited near Knossos.  He looks at everyone assembled, the day is hot already as the large man starts to sweat its obvious he hasn't manned an oar in years, "I'm sorry we'll have to use oars part of the way, but the profits from this one will be good, we have plenty of food and a few passengers to help even out the way."  Over half the crew looks nervous.  He continues, "Delos is having a bit of a famine and while the growing season is just beginning it should take about a week to get there even with these winds and the hold is laden with food."

The first mate a slender short man of Crete standing behind the rest on the dock still can be heard by those nearby, "Yes we'll sail around islands take this food away from families with a crew of green cowards, but its ok cause they'll eat well and you'll be hailed as heroes there"  His accent is barely understandable.  "Bugger off wench, they're Spartans not monsters" he tells one among the crowd who tries to hand him a child.

You hear the sound of a horn somewhere nearby.  The horns have been all to common with drills as levies prepare to fight.  The captain seems to sweat more as he hears the horn.  Hurriedly, "The sacrifices have been made get the rigging set remove the ropes and GET TO YOUR OARS."

"What sacrifice?" The first mate gives an incredulous look as he pushes any on the dock that have already paid onto the ship.  He kicks the gangplank.  If any in the party move to the oars he stops them and tells them to help him move off the plank.  He also grabs two older men from Crete its clear that he thinks the horns have more to do with the ship than basic maneuvers.  To confirm your suspicions a group of the Cretan guard appear on the docks.  The crew of the ship seem inept and disheartened but full of energy some put out there oars and start rowing why the ship is still attached to the dock.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:46:46 AM by Dr_emperor »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »
Despite the oppressive heat, Andras does what he can to keep the hood of his cloak up to help hide his nature. Not knowing much about sailing, he stays out of the way as best he can unless asked to do something specific.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
At the mention on Spartans not being monsters, Agamemnon smiles mockingly.

So the past tries to come back at me... Let it come. I will show them my resolution. For now, though... He looks around the helpless people as the crew of this ship. The stormy sea awaits.

Agamemnon goes towards the ropes and cuts them with his sword. "Someone deal with the goddamned planks!" He yells.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:09:31 AM by Risada »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »
"Confirmed"

Andras pulls his guisarme from his back as he moves towards the gang planks. With an over the shoulder swing, Andras hacks at the bindings holding the gang planks to the ship.

(click to show/hide)
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
A man clad in well made traveling cloths looks at the plank and sees it's being taken care of so instead he turns his attention to the scuffle on shore to see if anyone was going to try and chase them or maybe release some arrows their way.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
A young-looking woman with long green-blue hair that resembles the color of the sea, clad with a silvery chain shirt and a wooden buckler over a simple white dress, a dark crossbow fastened at her waist, seems to notice the commotion.

Some trouble with the planks? I guess I should help if it will help us set sail faster.

Then she waves her hand, a circle glows on the near sea, and from inside it emerges a pegasus! The noble beast's fur has the same color as the young woman's hair, and it joins Andras in attacking the plank.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:54:51 PM by oslecamo »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:24:27 PM »
A man of nearly middle age rolls up the sleeves of his loose robes as everyone hustles to ship off. A brief flash of light armor and thin, yet sinewy limbs shows that there is more to this traveler than his scholarly attire would otherwise suggest. He pauses a moment as he quickly contemplates how best to apply himself to the task at hand. However, when several of his fellow travelers begin taking care of the situation, he steps back. Turned away from rowing and seeing the plank and binding ropes being addressed, there was little more the man could do than get in the way, and he wished not to become a nuisance.

Rather, he continues to observe, seeking an opportunity to prove useful. He had had enough of Crete, and couldn't wait to put it behind him.

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
The confusion continues while the board groans from the damage and the ships oars moving knots are untied and cut and it remains the only thing holding the ship to the dock.  The captain regains control, "STOP ROWING UNTIL I GIVE THE SIGNAL!! GET THAT PLANK FREE AND I'll give the signal.

Those near the plank know that you are about half through. 

On the docks the commander can be heard, "Stop them, archers break off shoot the ones breaking the plank its our only chance."  Fortunately the 4 archers seem like they might be able to hit the ship but hitting skilled heroes seems like it would be a problem.

All of you on the side of the ship see her a beautiful Greek woman in the crowd.  Her whisper carries unnaturally to your ears.  "Oh no fellow Cretans, they reject our children to the Spartans, our young mothers." she seems to you to be almost speaking sarcastically.   " These young sailors have rejected saving you instead they go to leave us, They likely stole the food from the granaries, the Spartans will not attack and will leave us to starve. Look that man looks Spartan." she gestures to Agamemnon. "They take our food to their tyrant."  A black smoke appears amongst the crowd.

"She's right kill them!"  "Our children will die!"  "they're traitors!" "SPARTANS!" There mood shifts like a coming storm.

The crowd lurches onto the plank.  Spitting and stabbing with broken bottles sewing needles and poor daggers.  Clubbing with whatever they can find.  The first mate and his two friends are ripped under the crowd along with the closest two oarsmen.      Over half the mob is still on the dock and the plank.  With the weight on it you all know it would buckle, and likely it it would disperse.  The woman still stands on the dock within the crowd not overcome by the emotion in it.

Andras, the Pegasus, and Bion are all in the crowds area and take 25 damage as the mob washes over.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »
Something is very wrong. I don't want to hurt those people, but a cold bath with dad may calm down them. Cavalo alado, cresce!

The young woman's face becomes more determined as she's surrounded by three scripts of ghostly fire  wrapped into wheels whitin wheels of divine energy. Then the sacred pegasus suddenly increases in size, and with its new strength resumes breaking the plank, hoping to drop the mob into the waters below.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »
The plank breaks underneath the massive Pegasus hooves.  Snapping the ship swings free.  "ROWWWW!!!" the captain shouts the ship begins moving slowly as oar is put to water it only lurches only a few inche.  Some among the mob fall back into the sea, but the others look mostly confused.  Some look afraid of the massive Pegasus, but all drop there improvised arms.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
Andras pulls his hood back up over his head and moves up on the ship out of the way. Turning away from everyone (facing the wheel house or other structure on the ship if possible), he looks over his should to see if anyone is watching closely. Assuming he doesn't see anyone paying too much attention to him, he pulls open his cloak and runs his hands himself taking stock of his damages. Paying careful attention to the worst of them, Andras slowly begins to chant the arcane syllables to repair most of his injuries.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 02:08:29 AM »
Helena is shaken out of her slight shock as the ship gives a lurch. It hadn't been long since she had lost Xantcha to combat aboard another vessel after all.

She quickly focuses in on the plank broken free yet the ship hardly moving.

"I really hope there isn't an anchor holding us in place that they forgot about," she mutters as she materializes her bow and prepares to return fire at the Archers on the dock before they attempt to shoot again. "Then again, that would be easier to fix than some magic holding us in place."  As she says this she focuses on her inner light and directs a portion of it into her garment, immediately feeling how she could simply jump and be free of her earthly bonds. At the same time her bow seems to gleam with an inner light becoming lighter, the edge of the nocked arrow keener, and feeling far more sure of her ability to hit even difficult targets.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:52:19 PM by Rekmond »
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:18 AM »
Unfortunately the Knossion commander doesn't seem to realize that he has lost or realizes that cargo ships in this era begin moving very slowly, "ARCHERS target the oarsmen on the port side start with the front!"  As his unit moves foward you realize that his unit is equipped with javelins.  (note speaking is a free action still)   

situation If anyone wants to speak still that is fine the ship needs to still move slowly out of port.  The archers are only about 100 feet away but the dock itself is rough terrain. The unit is about 80 feet away having taken a double move.  The commander of the unit seems to think he can still stop you.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
Pats his pockets and realizes he forgot his bow and dagger back at the inn which is a little awkward. He looks/asks around on the deck for any spare bows & arrows not in use while he augments his knowledge of combat.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:11:39 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 11:13:11 PM »
The thin, robed man surveys the soldiers and archers upon the dock. These soldiers would prove to be a problem, though not quite so much as the woman spurring on discord among the civilians.

"Boys throw stones at frogs for fun, but the frogs don't die for "fun," but in sober earnest. I do not think these 'boys' ought to be throwing any stones at us 'frogs,' don't you think?"

A sly smile spreads across the man's lips as he pulls the hood of his cloak from over his head, revealing short, dark, wiry hair. He squints as the sunlight of dawn washes over his face, the humidity clinging to his skin.

Suddenly, a deep, bass-pitched hum sounds behind the commander as an opaque sheet of warbling energy forms a ringed wall around his archers.

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »
Andras walks over to the robbed man and motions with a gloved hand at the wall around the archers.

"I don't know what that has to do with frogs and stones but thank you. I don't have time to do much about them unless they manage to get on the ship. "

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
The man nods. "Hmm? Well, to put it succinctly... well, you might say our interests are at odds. Should they succeed, our ship stops and we die, and they will think little of it. We, have little interest in their goals or motivations; we do not wish to die, regardless of the cause... You know, the explanation isn't important right now. There are still many a threat to our livelihood, it appears."

He furrows his brow, clearly concentrating on the effect that so spontaneously manifested.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »
Agamemnon moves to the captain and asks "Are we going to just take that freely? Any free people here able to handle bow and arrow?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 05:45:33 AM »
My good people, there is no need to be afraid. Egua's pets servants only attack evil-doers. Now, cavalo alado, help get this ship to high sea!

The sacred pegasus takes flight once more, looking for a point of support with which help move the ship to safety faster.

We will also need capable sailors for a safe trip. Oh dad, Egua asks you to bring back this soul from the Styx, he departed too soon!

The goddess then approaches and touches the remains of the first mate, channeling fresh vitality into the deceased.

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »
Andras shouts above the chaos,
"If it will help, I can make small magic items. They won't last long, but might help."