Author Topic: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"  (Read 19463 times)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
The group gathers together around Equa by happenstance, or perhaps fate.  The first mate calls out to the captain, "Sir obviously you want to reward these passengers with what they paid as they should be regarded as crew."

The captain looks back as the crew cheers,  "I agree, use the aft chest."

He motions for Equa and the others to follow.  He walks almost as far away as he can get from the captain before coming to a tarp which he moves revealing several cargo chests and opens a small box, looking around nervously. He opens the chest barely 1000 gold sit in the box.  "You've surely figured out something is wrong.  The captain didn't have enough crew or supplies to start the voyage most of the men were experienced from Crete and departed to fight the Spartans."  He sighs,  "This crew however are made up of green boys who were drafted to keep the peace in Knossos,  He convinced them to raid a granary, and a storehouse which is why we are so well provisioned.  Worse than that the captain used to be a pirate before he took this ship.  He has contacts with slavers and smugglers throughout the Agean.  I fear for the remnants of the mob and possibly the crew.  If he guides us to a pirate port we could be in trouble.  It wouldn't be abnormal to stop at a port we are close to, and he has possibly burned our most favorable trade port.  I'd ask you to lead a mutiny but then surely the crew would fight with him and you'd have to belief me, and we would surely lose the better parts of the crew."

He looks at, Agamemnon, "You said you were a sellsword, keeping the crew safe, it wouldn't be free, there is a chest of wrapped Carthaginian clear goblets."

(glass in this time period didn't run clear(was invented close to this time period though); clear glass would be quite valuable to the right buyer.)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
Snapping back to focus, Bion takes note of the sensitive information being shared, pondering it for a moment.

"Perhaps it will not be so difficult. Half the crew is quite taken with our resident deity, no? I cannot imagine it would take much to sway the rest of the crew to side with her against the captain, should it come to it. I am certain the rest of us could prove quite persuasive in our own ways, without needlessly resorting to violence."

Butting in from under Bion's cloak comes a now familiar voice.

"And if not... violence is still on the table!"

"Pipe down, you onerous ornament!"

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
Helena frowned at the explanation of the crew and captain. Piracy was not the most common issue but having lived upon an island her entire life, she was aware of the 'profession'. She was not too fond of the theft of supplies either, but it was too late to do anything about it at this point.

"I do appreciate the return of our voyage fees. Perhaps I will be able to find an enchanter on Delos able to finish the work I had wanted done on my armaments." She remarked before her thoughts turned to the potential danger of a former pirate for a captain.

"How long ago did he take this ship then?" she inquired. "And why warn us of this? I doubt your captain would approve."

If this journey indeed led to fight with the ship's crew, then she was at least certain that she could put down a large number of them using non-lethal means.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
Carthaginian clear goblets? Clear glass, I've heard, but never seen.

If it would be of assistance, I have an extradimensional portal that we could store things in to keep them out of the hands of anyone we didn't wish access to it. It can only be opened by myself as far as I've ever found. I understand however if you'd prefer not to place your trust in me yet.

Did I hear you say you were looking for an enchanter? I may be of service then. Creating and enhancing items is my business. If you wish, we could sit down later and discuss your armorment.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
(a bit in the past)
"As for worship, it is simply that there are none truly appropriate. Athena, Dikē, Apollo, or Artemis As She Was would have been agreeable. But now I simply follow a Cause instead," she explained. "None truly serve The Light now. It would not feel right to truly worship one who doesn't."

I agree, gods must prove themselves worthy of worship, and right now there are none that can claim to fit your cause certainly not my stupid father with all the wars and problems around in the world. Hopefully the future will be brighter in that regard.

"Andras, creation of Daedalus the inventor, thank you for your help."
Fascinating! I had only heard rumors until now, but it seems like some mortals have indeed started creating new sentient beings.

________
(present)

I feel like now it's moment to to share with you that cavalo alado can detect the evil and good on people's hearts. And the the captain plus several of the more experienced crew members are the first.

From what you tell us combined with the city guard trying to stop our departure makes me now sure such a man should not be allowed to run a ship. But I also want to avoid any needless bloodshed.

I support the plan of seeking to persuade the other crew members first. Which ones do you think would be more open to talking?

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
At the mention of payment, Agamemnon refuses it.... For now.

"Keep your trinkets for now, we can talk about compensation later. Now, let's make sure we contain the crew without blood being spilt, for I want to reach our destination rather than becoming an unwilling sacrifice for Poseidon." He quickly turns to the goddess. "No offense, lady."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:51 PM »
Declines even the interest in the gold seeing how all he's done is stand around and listen to the various crew members and passengers. Still, clear glass is supposed to be a thing. Darker colors are better for storing juices and ale and a dash of cobalt can produce a much prettier blue hue in the glass or even turn turquoise if the base mix is amber due to contaminants. Still, curiosity got the best of him.

"Would you know who crafted such fine crystal?"

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2016, 07:46:48 AM »
"Would you know who crafted such fine crystal?"

The first mate responds, "I'm not sure who built it I believe the captain stole it along his voyages"

Quote from: oslecamo link=topic=17384.msg3+11413#msg311413 date=1469014317

I feel like now it's moment to to share with you that cavalo alado can detect the evil and good on people's hearts. And the the captain plus several of the more experienced crew members are the first.

From what you tell us combined with the city guard trying to stop our departure makes me now sure such a man should not be allowed to run a ship. But I also want to avoid any needless bloodshed.

I support the plan of seeking to persuade the other crew members first. Which ones do you think would be more open to talking?

"most of the crew is new the experienced ones have been part of the crew longer than I have, probably parts of the crew that took the ship, they may be decent sailors but they wouldn't know how to manage a ship.  I joined the ship and worked my way up to first mate.  We'd need the carpenter no matter what, the ship is old, likely my lady has already started to convince him bringing him back from the dead"

Helena frowned at the explanation of the crew and captain. Piracy was not the most common issue but having lived upon an island her entire life, she was aware of the 'profession'. She was not too fond of the theft of supplies either, but it was too late to do anything about it at this point.
"How long ago did he take this ship then?" she inquired. "And why warn us of this? I doubt your captain would approve."

"Perhaps as long ago as five years,  I came on 4 years ago, the captain was talking about a final pay out, if he decides to sell the people of the mob, or the crew...  I told you because you might be able to help, but for now we sail away from port and can not turn back.  We can do nothing but prepare now"  He turns to get back to work yelling at two sailors for the knot they are tying.

A sense motive check would be appropriate. After that unless you all decide to mutiny here, have some conversation.  Then check in when ready for a time skip of 3 days,  with any preperations.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
The guy chuckles for a moment after hearing the First Mate then merrily under his breath, "Bloody pirates." Then after considering the mutiny and the fact the captain has managed to both hold and run the ship for the last five years, "Being willing to rob another doesn't mean you would make a bad businessman or sailor but needlessly confronting a man willing to steal over what may have or will happen and you will surely find your pockets lighter by the end of the day."

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
I'm no sailor, and my composition makes assuming difficult, as such, while I don't fear the combat of a mutiny, especially if we take a while to prepare before hand, I'd prefer to do so in the safety of a harbour. However, since may have a while before we reach one, I could take the time to work a little magic into any items l, if someone wishes. I'd need to use a bit of the good though, gold dust is a great conductor for magic and helps to make the items take the enchantment. I have my workshop with me if any decide to take the offer up.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
Agamemnon pays attention to the first mate's speech. When finished he says "Three days then? Alright. If we manage to survive and reach land, then we will talk about rewards."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »
The first mate gets back to work, telling Agamemnon about 10 days depending on winds. The first day of your voyage is tedious oars are used more than sails very little ground is gained from Crete.  One naysayer was even heard as the sun set that he had rowed his fishing boat this far out.

The winds finally start the next day after a slow start they blow from the west so the captain begins using the sails to move through the sea.  The crew is happy that the ship is moving more briskly, and most of the people from the dock join with working with the crew.  Only about ten do not; of those 3 are elderly and 4 are children who tried but got in the way.  The voyage's ominous beginning is mostly forgotten. 

On the third day though the wind blows slightly from the south and west it is cloudy and overcast and humid.  All suspect a storm is brewing.  The winds pick up throughout the day, coming more from the south.  It seems fortune favors the Marathon, but fortune is fickle.  The storm begins after mid day as a light rain, but increasing in intensity slowly for the first hour.  Suddenly the captain bellows,  "LOWER THE SAILS NOW"  more quietly to the first mate though you all hear it.  "The winds are pushing us more into this storm, the water itself seems to be pushing us into it. Open the armory its not natural, arm the men, keep that lot out of the rowing, along with our best."  There is a look of horror on his face as he looks down as a piece of driftwood seems to be headed deeper into the storm.

The crew nobly fight to keep the ship afloat turning so the massive waves don't capsize the ship.  This goes on for over an hour, perhaps longer the crew looks exhausted,  Though you were told not to help the men row you all have grabbed someone who fell over, unable to work and helped to tie them to the ship so they don't go over. 

The storm finally calms a crewmember sights shore to port, with the storm and the clouds aren't sure what way the ship faces.  The winds are dying but are pushing the ship towards the shore. After about a minute the captain yells out.  "HARPIES!!"  From starboard you see them now 6 harpies being tailed by 4 manticores.  The sound of thunder now common to your ears strikes a more regular tone, Whomp Whomp Womp, or is it drums?.  The harpies are about 800 ft out and another 50 up though one flies 100 ft higher than the rest, their spears gleam.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
Agamemnon speaks to the captain, not really caring whether he will listes or not.

"Every man not afraid of death should get armed and ready for engagement. And try to spare a few to row this ship."

After that, he gets his bow ready and looks towards starboard.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
Harpies? Where? And we're still approaching the coast too fast. Cavalo Alado, help slow down the ship!

Agamemnon, I can grant you the blessing of flight should you want it.

Egua readies her own crossbow. Harpies and manticores aren't the kind of beings that can be reasoned with. If she was by herself it would be a simple matter to keep a safe distance riding her sacred steed while shooting the monsters down, but right now she could not abandon those in the ship to their fate.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
Agamemnon accepts the offer for useful magic while pointing at the sky. "They're there... Look. Also, thanks for the help. How long does it last? If the duration is too short it's best to wait until the harpies are closer."

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »

You will fly for six minutes, I believe that should be enough for us to solve this situation.
If you wait some more seconds I can make you fly even faster.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 03:29:24 AM »
The shout of Harpies had been more than enough to draw her attention in the direction the Captain indicated.  This storm had definitely been unnatural and the odds of an attack right after they had seemingly weathered it?  Times like this she nearly wished for Tyche's favor.

She narrowed her eyes as she searched the skies for the cause of the alert.

(click to show/hide)

She thought she could make them out, even if barely, and decided that she may as well make an attempt to hit them.  Even if at this distance the odds were against her.  Still, it would be a warning if nothing else.

"Lady Egua," she began as she addressed the deity. "I would be most appreciative if you were were able to make myself fly faster as well. Forcing these enemies to divert any of their force would give those here that much a greater chance of survival," she said as she indicated the group of fighters and sailors.

She then turned her attention back to the bleary shapes and knelt with bow drawn.  She could feel the weapon hum as she concentrated on her targets.

In time with an outgoing breath her hand twitched and in a flash three arrows of light shot out into the sky.

(click to show/hide)
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
Derus grabs a longbow and a full quiver of arrows. Before the harpies close, Derus lays his hands on the bow and focuses, imbuning it with magic. He places a hand over the quiver he picked up she does the same. He draws the bow and readies to fire at the first harpy close enough.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The drumming sound beats onward.

The pegasus whinnies about its orders clear that it doesn't want to get into the water to pull the ship (free action for Egua to confirm the command).

The Harpies break formation as arrows shoot below them.   The one flying higher screams with rage,  discipline doesn't seem to apply to them.  It flies with his group furious as they leave the manticores behind.  With the wind on their backs the harpies fly at breakneck speeds covering over a third of the distance in to the ship. 

The exhausted crew try to gather their weapons some grab oars trying to row her faster but the captain tries to stop those as he grabs a bow.

(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
Aesop's mind cascades with knowledge of the Harpy Race along with their flight patterns possible dive tactics to better anticipate their Maneuvers then he walks over to the armory asking someone to hand a bow & arrows to him. Once obtained he looks skyward and decides to to level the playing field some. If the Harpies can battle in a third dimension no one else in the crew could, why not use a fourth in his favor?

"They seem untrained, group together to cover each other from the arrows with your shields and ready your weapons for when they get closer. If anyone can cast a silence on our heads it may reduce the drum's affect on them just before they strike." The latter is a gamble as many bardic songs linger after a person stop hearing them, but who knows how brutal this fight may be.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:29:03 PM by SorO_Lost »