Author Topic: Luc Couteau  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Luc Couteau
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »
WIP Character Sheet

Background
(click to show/hide)

Paradigm
(click to show/hide)

Character Name
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Nanshork's Character
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:38:32 AM »
Character creation point expenditures:
7 Physical/ 3 Social/ 5 Mental
13 Talents/ 9 Skills/ 5 Knowledges

Free Points: 3 Natural Shapeshifter/ 12 Arete (3 dots)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
What spheres go well with Life?

Edit: I'm also not finding any information on flaws, how do they work?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:51:18 AM »
What spheres go well with Life?

Edit: I'm also not finding any information on flaws, how do they work?

Life, Matter and Forces are the pattern spheres. This generally means that they're heavy on Paradox (although that's not a rule), unless you find a way to make effects coincidental. With that in mind, you could take another ephemeral sphere, like mind, entropy or correspondence.

Actually, do your character sheet last - first work on a backstory and find a suitable paradigm. Since you've chosen to be a verbena (classic druid/pagan style willworkers - herbs, potions, etc), it won't be that difficult!

//edit: You've got 15 character points (freebies) to work with at character creation. There are Merits and Flaws, which are actually permanent or semi-permanent advantages/disadvantages of your character. For instance, you may have a character that is exceptionally huge and walks with a limp. If you get a flaw, you raise the pool of freebies that you can spend on your character by the amount listed (for instance, vengeful is a 2 point flaw, so if you select it you get 17 freebies to spend). Merits work exactly the opposite, i.e. they subtract their points from your freebie total.

You've got a limit of 7 points of flaws, so the maximum you're going to get is 22 freebie points. There is no maximum limit on merits (aside from the 22 points).

You can find Merits/Flaws close to the last pages of Mage: the Ascension.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:56:48 AM by Dictum Mortuum »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Right now the best I can come up with for backstory is Gypsy and I am not sure what paradigm I will use (I'm still wrapping my head around the concept).

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Right now the best I can come up with for backstory is Gypsy and I am not sure what paradigm I will use (I'm still wrapping my head around the concept).

Well, cool! If your character will be a Gypsy, chances are your character and mine may have met. My character is a wanderer, a con artist & a card shark, who frequently visited gypsy camps & stuff of that nature for research pertaining to his obsession with the Wheel of Fortune & fate :D
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Luc Couteau
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
Being a gypsy is the only thing I have when it comes to backstory.  :p  I'm A-OK with our characters having met.   :D

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Being a gypsy is the only thing I have when it comes to backstory.  :p  I'm A-OK with our characters having met.   :D

I don't want anything lengthy. Just some basic information about what you want to play, so that you're not a character that has been abducted by aliens :P and placed randomly in 1830 France :P

Try to answer these questions:

How old are you?
Do you have a family or any ties to the "normal" world?
When where you awakened?
Where you awakened by a Verbena or you received Verbena training after being awakened and alone vs a whole new world?
Any character quirks we should now about?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
And how do I work out my paradigm?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
And how do I work out my paradigm?

How does your character perceive magic? It's like asking someone "What do you believe God is". There's no definitive answer.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
I just found this in a description of Verbena paradigms.  "Blood calls to blood and life calls to life. The macrocosm of the universe is reflected in the microcosm of each living cell. Each living thing flows with vibrant, pulsating energy. Just a small donation of this energy can work the wonders of magick."  Minus the reference to cells that Luc doesn't know exist yet, that sounds like how I envision him working. 

You can use more than one type of focii for the same sphere correct?  For example, I want Luc to be able to cut his palm and then press the wound on an ally, channeling his magic through the blood to heal.  I also want him to be able to mix up herbs with magic to be able to create a healing "potion".  Can I do both or do I have to pick one specific way that Luc casts his healing magic?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Foci are just another way of "limiting" a mage's power. Since creating a healing potion (which would most probably require some matter and probably a little bit of prime, too) would be done in a special room (with herbs, a boiling cauldron, stuff like these) , it's obvious that there's no real need for limitation, because you're not doing it in a hurry and/or you've got all the things you need.

Alternatively, if your focus for the Life sphere is "blood", you can just pour some blood into the mixture (your own or someone else's) and be done with it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
And different spheres can have different foci, correct?  Or do all of his spells need some aspect of blood magic (at least until he no longer needs a focus for a sphere)?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »
And different spheres can have different foci, correct?  Or do all of his spells need some aspect of blood magic (at least until he no longer needs a focus for a sphere)?

Actually I'd say that different spheres have to have different foci!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Alright, my sheet is done.  I need rotes and whatnot, but those will come after approval of the sheet by you.

I honestly couldn't come up with any good flaws for a shapeshifting gypsy but I'm willing to take suggestions.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
Also, is shapeshifting a bad focus to have?  Am I going to accumulate paradox by shapeshifting even when nobody can see me?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
4 Arete? Damn. You're just one point short of being a "Master". 4 Points in life is also pretty nasty...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
I want to be a shapeshifter.   :P

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
I believe shape change is one of those things that give mass paradox. Like Time change, sure no one knows but reality does and is pissed about it.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
I want to be a shapeshifter.   :P

Dang. Well, at least you'll be able to change your face frequently, so people will have a hard time recognizing you by your face. Changing your resonance is another thing though.