Author Topic: Coastal Troubles (IC Thread)  (Read 38704 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Coastal Troubles (IC Thread)
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Together or individually, you all are answering a call for help.  The high priest of Kelemvor, Doomguide Yovir Glandon, of the city of Phlan has requested able bodied adventurers to look into attacks on small coastal communities in the area.

Magiries, the request for aid came to you directly.  Given your history with Enar you invited her along, two holy warriors being better than one after all.  The rest of you were called in more general ways, but the feeling you got was that this isn't a trumpet call for any and all to answer.  This call is more targeted, it seems that Doomguide Glandon doesn't want to incite panic.

You've made your way to Phlan on the passenger ship Paulina, and any who have mingled with the crew have heard rumors that the attacks have been from a pirate ship.  There are even quieter rumors among the passengers that it is some sort of "ghost ship", but the crew refuses to discuss the subject out of superstition.  If there is some sort of ghost pirate ship out there, they don't want to tempt fate by discussing it.

Paulina has just tied up at the dock and disembarkation has begun.  You know that Doomguide Glandon can be found at Valhingen Graveyard and that he wants to discuss with you in person just what his concerns are.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Coastal Troubles (IC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
"...The morning after they left I was freed from jail in the middle of the afternoon and we stole a ship. Then we sailed to a different harbor and stopped over night to hire a new crew. And then we went right after them and made it to the the island before they even made landfall." rambled the sailor next to him. Teferi glances back to him, having hardly paid too much attention to things, "But didn't you say the boat they were on was the fastest ship ever made?" Dumb-stricken the probably-a-pirate stammers something incomprehensible before muttering rum needs him and he wanders off in a drunken stride.

It'd been a while since his last visit to Phlan, he had forgotten how strange some of the locals could be but before he could reminisce with Freona's daughters he needed to figure out where this graveyard was. Turning to the person standing beside him he says, "I don't suppose you know where the cemetery is?"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
"It's on the other side of the city," Magiries stated, glad to be back on dry land after the time at sea. It was almost a shame that no ghost pirates had attacked them on the journey--it would have been good to annihilate the wretches before they could trouble any more civilian shipping. But heavy armour and a polearm were hardly the ideal equipment for when attacked afloat; even the stoutest of vessels only had so much space on deck.

And undead couldn't drown, that was an unfair advantage.

"If we keep going, we can't miss it."

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
(In a unrelated inn, somewhere in town)

"Hmm... That could be interesting. I haven't met a high priest of Kelemevor before, let alone worked for one. I'll go have a look. Maybe even do this quest of his." Says Aval. He gathers his things, and sets off to the graveyard, owl on his shoulder.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
Glancing at Mag and seeing her ease up a little, "Across the city? Well, at least we get to stretch our legs some. I've been pacing on that tiny deck for what feels like ages now."

Teferi wondered if Mag was worried about the horrific mansharks he had heard were at sea but then he figures she was probably off thinking about ghost zombie pirates or something like normal. Glancing backward, wasn't someone else supposed to be coming?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
Enar shows up running after Mag, finishing buckling her armor.

Ah, wait for me Mag! Sorry I'm late, but had to finish my ship duties first.

She did her best to look cheery, but she also knew that between the rumors and this specific call, something bad was brewing on. Even then it was more reason to show a positive attitude. The people looked up to paladins in times of trouble, and if they look worried, then panic would be sure to spread.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

"Hmm... That could be interesting. I haven't met a high priest of Kelemevor before, let alone worked for one. I'll go have a look. Maybe even do this quest of his." Says Aval. He gathers his things, and sets off to the graveyard, owl on his shoulder.
Jarsank snorts. "Between you and me, I sometimes wish all these Death Gods weren't so strict about people passing on. Sure, Undead are usually nothing but trouble, but sometimes life ain't long enough to finish what you started. Wouldn't be surprised if half these rumors about ghost pirates were just sailors who didn't want to stop sailing when they went down with the ship." With a look over Aval's coin purse and cloths, he adds to his statement; "I'd think someone from your walk of life would understand the sentiment, given how often the lot brag about their line going back so long."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
"It's no bother," the rather more dour paladin answered, leading the way towards the graveyard--though the city was considerably more ordered than her home or the like, and the long avenue towards the exterior wasn't something one could get lost on, "It saved us some expense on the way here."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
Teferi falls into step between the two paladins like having a shield to either side, "It should be fine Enar, ships are not very timely anyway so I doubt the priest had an exact time in mind. At least you had something interesting to do, I had to spend most of the trip reading over a mine dispute and doing my own arithmetic."

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:33:29 PM »

Jarsank snorts. "Between you and me, I sometimes wish all these Death Gods weren't so strict about people passing on. Sure, Undead are usually nothing but trouble, but sometimes life ain't long enough to finish what you started. Wouldn't be surprised if half these rumors about ghost pirates were just sailors who didn't want to stop sailing when they went down with the ship." With a look over Aval's coin purse and cloths, he adds to his statement; "I'd think someone from your walk of life would understand the sentiment, given how often the lot brag about their line going back so long."

"Ugh. Tell me about. Back home, it seemed like there was a scandal every other year with somebody getting cheated out of their inheritance because dad got resurrected or turned into a vampire or some other shenanigans. They always think nobody will notice."
He shrugs.
"But you ain't wrong, either. But maybe we'll think about that a little later. When we they aren't trying to hire us."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
Interesting wouldn't be my first choice of word for ship chores. Maybe dutyful, sacred, rewarding. But it does helps keep the mind and body busy over the sea. Asmodeus find work for idle hands as you know. And saves money indeed, so we have more left to help people!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:10:58 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
By coincidence both groups of adventurers arrive at the main entrance to the cemetery at the same time.   A middle aged man in grass-stained robes is working in a garden next to the main entrance, turning the dirt with a small hand trowel while several pots of flowers are next to him.  Without looking up he speaks with an even voice.

"I am so glad you answered my call for aid.  If all is as I fear, time may be short.  Let us talk quickly.  I am Doomguide Yovir.  There are rumors of a "ghost ship" attacking small villages and lone farms or inns on the northern coast of the Moonsea.  The attacks have slowly been moving up the coast and no one seems moved to act as the danger draws ever nearer to Phlan."

He pauses, allowing you a chance to respond.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »
Magiries eyebrow appeared to be developing a rather noticeable twitch at the news. "Survivors? Proper reports? Or just dead and a ship?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
Doomguide Yovir puts his trowel down and brushes the dirt off of his hands before answering Magiries' questions.

"There have been reports that a ghost ship has been haunting the coast, destroying small villages and homesteads.  Our church is not the military, people do not make 'proper reports' to us.  The only survivor in the area is one at the temple.  Yesterday, a man from a small hamlet two days to the southwest was picked up just outside of the city.  He was delivered to our church because he appears to be insane and was raving about a dracolich."

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
"A dracolich, huh? Fascinating! It would kill everybody here a dozen times over, but it seems unlikely. Maybe a dinosaur skeleton? Or maybe he's just mad. you never know. Would we be able to speak to him, or is he in too bad a condition?

Finchley, by the way"

He offers his hand to shake.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 12:29:26 AM »
This sounds horrible! How "slow" is this ghost ship moving? Do we have any idea of the time interval between the coastal attacks? Or at least between people finding out a farm of village was destroyed? We need to have a good idea of their mobility if we want to intercept them. Do they leave their victim's bodies behind? If no, there's a chance they're being taken as slaves. If yes, what type of damage do they show? And are any goods being stolen? I don't see why undead would need food or gold.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
Doomguide Yovir looks somewhat bemused as he shakes Finchley's hand.

"Yes, you may speak with him if you wish to.  As I said, he is at the temple."

After giving directions to the Kelemovite temple in the city, he continues.

"The people are being killed, not taken.  Other than that I do not have the information you seek.  You will want to speak to the city guards, The Knights of the Black Fist.  They tasked one of their numberr, Aleyd Burral, with gathering information about the attacks."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
Shaking his head he addresses Yovir, "I apologize for my eager companion, it's been a long trip." as he glances over to Enar momentarily. "We can go talk to the witness for a bit and then check with Aleyd of the Black Fist for details."

Raising an eyebrow he asks, "Is there anything else we need to know before going?" For a priest that sent for people, he seems pretty out of the loop.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:52:12 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 06:54:33 PM »
Interpreting the raised eyebrow as disdain, Doomguide Yovir responds.

"The political factions in the city are still arguing about what to do about this threat.  I do not believe that they will come together in time to prevent catastrophe.  As our temple is specifically neutral in the realm of politics I have taken it upon myself to sidestep the bureaucracy and act directly before it's too late by requesting your aid.

In addition, these rumors of ghosts and liches have concerned me.  While these sorts of powerful undead are very rare, if they are the cause of this they must be destroyed.  I am one man doing what I can to prevent what is a danger to us all."

He looks very annoyed.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
Not that she had wanted a military report--just a slightly more coherent set of information than gutter-level rumours--but the gist seemed to be of undead, an actual ship of the damned... something she'd want to see burning if it was such a thing. And not just the rantings of a deranged peasant overzealous about dealing with pirates.

But probably undead. Why kill people as pirates? They'd have more if you came back in future.