Author Topic: DMing in the Tippyverse: Has anyone tried it?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
DMing in the Tippyverse: Has anyone tried it?
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222007

From what I read of the Tippyverse, it sounds like a high-magic utopia where spellcasters care for the needs of the populace through magic.  In other words, a place not meant to be played in.

I checked out the Guide on the above link, and it actually sounds like a plausible campaign setting for high-level adventurers.  99% of the world's non-monstrous population lives in teleportation-linked cities that are entirely self-sufficient.  Outside the cities, there are dangerous monsters and isolated low-magic villages.

Even with abundant resources, there is still the potential for adventure.  Devotees of the Gods of despair, strife, and other evil stuff may try to bring this civilization down.  People in power can still fight each other and abuse power due to pride and wrath.

Adventurers who fought in the last great war may still have people holding grudges.  Rival adventurers and shell-shocked war veterans may come after the PCs on quests of vengeance.

Has anyone tried a Tippyverse campaign?

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
Re: DMing in the Tippyverse: Has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
Yes, it's quite interesting actually. 

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
Have any interesting stories to share?

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Well, the concept we were working from was this;

5,000 years prior to the campaign start, there were two major alliances warring with each other.  Essentially, magic became the arms race between them - up until this point, even divine magic users had never had access to major magics, because the gods of this world were pretty hands off.  Anyway, the two sides were both performing experiments, and researching new and more powerful spells until things really began to get out of hand.  Teleporting assassins, new armies of constructs and undead, eventually even things like the city bomb started to come into play.  Long story short, the gods tried to intervene through their followers, but the world managed to blow itself up - and somehow severed the control the gods had on the world.  (They're connection was still there, they just had no control over it, so clerics, druids etc still received their spells Only a handful of pockets of civilization managed to survive.  One of these was headed by the lead researcher of one side - he saw the damage caused and vowed that it would not happen again.  Blaming the bureaucrats for the catastrophe, he set up a mageocracy, with self contained cities run by magic.  In the meantime, many of the experiments managed to break free and survive in the vast wilderness between the cities.

This system lasted for 5,000 years, as long as the leader was alive.  But the magic he had found to sustain his life eventually failed, and as he lay ding, the various faction within the government started their small, quiet war.  The wizard in the party was apprenticed ti one of the major players, so they ended up getting involved.  Not that they knew about that at first^^ 

The adventures were a fair amount of ruin crawls, with some urban adventures thrown in for variety, and some planar shenanigans later on in the campaign.  I think the most memorable moment was probably when the party dropped a city-sized AMF in order to fight one of the enemies, and the gish pulled out an eyepatch and said "fuck yeah, just call me Snake, baby^^"  And he gave "Snake Plissken" as his name for the rest of the campaign  :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
It really isn't tippyverse if the wizards in charge are dying of old age if you ask me. Immortality doesn't even demand cheese to pull off.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
It really isn't tippyverse if the wizards in charge are dying of old age if you ask me. Immortality doesn't even demand cheese to pull off.

It had a slightly different set of rules, but it's close enough that I would feel pretty pretty shady calling it anything else^^

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »

After 5000 years of peace, he relaxed slightly on his paranoia, and in his old age, he remembered to renew his immortality spell a bit too late...

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
Dammit, should have checked my day planner...
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.