Author Topic: Southpaw OOC  (Read 45543 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Southpaw OOC
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 12:02:21 AM »
Extraordinary Artisan would be the first to take but it does require an item creation feat. Don't worry about it in any case. I've got 7000 extra GP now and I'm well satisfied with that.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »
I have put together a list of alchemical items on my character sheet. Any suggestions for additional ones that could be useful. Bear in mind that they will be used with the Alchemist Bomb Maneuver (If item has DC then it is modified to DC 21, it affects everyone within 10ft radius).

Also could you also check them out SirP and tell me if there is a problem with any of them?

PS. FireIS considering your main feature is a telescope and that you might be wearing magitech items made by me, I may have stumbled upon a fitting image for your character.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:00:06 AM by samnemath »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 06:08:56 AM »
What sort of actions can your dolls take? If they can use them I'd suggest some Noxious Smokesticks (ECS 121)

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 06:35:15 AM »
They can do nothing except attacks of opportunity and flanking.

But they can channel whatever action I take. So if I use a Noxious Smokestick as standard action I can "channel" the action through a doll and center the effect on it. Problem is it will have a DC 15.
The increased DC affect only alchemical items I use with my Alchemist Bomb Maneuver, and the maneuver can only be used with powders, oils and in general things that can be spread.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
PS. FireIS considering your main feature is a telescope and that you might be wearing magitech items made by me, I may have stumbled upon a fitting image for your character.
(click to show/hide)

:lmao  That picture is AMAZING!!!

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Glad you like it :)

Ok, I may change the maneuvers known a bit, but other than that the character is mechanically complete. I just need to write the background.

On an other matter, I have +19 UMD, in case you want to give me any wands you would like to be used in combat (ex: Benign Transposition to switch you with my Drones). I would have bought some myself but I couldn't squeeze both the wands and the item that gets me to +19 UMD.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Alright, so four of us are finished. FitS is waiting on Astronomer, and I don't know what's going on with Drammor or Linklord.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:32:46 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
Got my sheet up.  Still have approx 16000 gp left to spend though... Any ideas?  I'm missing flight, and more pluses to Grapple or Intimidate wouldn't go amiss.

The basic concept is Minsc from Baldur's Gate, if he were somehow turned in to a Tarrasque.  Strategy is to lock down opponents with Strategic Provocation or grapple, then not die.  Regeneration overcome by crits + light-moderate fortification + not falling unconscious from nonlethal damage should go a long way to make this work.  I'm currently vulnerable to death effects, ability damage, dispelling (since that lets me fall unconscious), and flying enemies. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
Your buddies can help out with the vulnerability to fliers. We've got quite a bit of ranged damage potential so we'll just pincushion them for you.

I've got a Lesser Restoration SLA so that should help with the ability damage thing between combats.

Ring of Counterspells with Dispel Magic cast into it (Centurion Pastor can take care of that) would help with vulnerability to dispelling but it probably won't be necessary. I can nullify spells as an immediate action using my lv+wis against their CL. That will effectively mean we won't have to worry much about enemy casters.

The Talisman of Undying Fortitude or the Death Ward armor property (both from MIC) will help with the death effect issue.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Samnemath's character can craft weapons, armor, and wondrous items. If you can fit it into your backstory you can get any of those at 70% market price.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:39:43 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
Good call with the ring and stuff.  My other option was a Spellblade - slightly more expensive, but doesn't need to be recharged, and has that whole "return to sender" thing.  But it would have to be upgraded in a level or two when Greater Dispel comes online. 

A ring of Counterspells + Talisman of Undying Fortitude would be 12k, leaving 5750 for other stuff.  Any ideas?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
With a UMD score of +15, I'd go for some wands. Either to use yourself or to give to our resident Machine Mistress who also has the UMD to activate wands reliably.

A wand of Swift Fly is 4,500 which eats up most of your remaining cash but that would give you tactical flight when you needed it. It would need DM approval but you might be able to put a wand chamber (100 gp) in your armor spikes so you wouldn't have to draw it.

Other decent wands: Benign Transposition (switch with a teammate caught in a grapple), Swift Expeditious Retreat, Nerveskitter. Lesser Vigor wouldn't do anything for you but there are a few members of our party who don't have fast healing/ regeneration and would appreciate it.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Hey FitS, remember you're only level 8 in this game...
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
Hey FitS, remember you're only level 8 in this game...

Who died and made you DM???   :P

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
FitS, are you following the Astronomer's expanding phenomena list?

There's 36 so far (out of how many? I recall "87 more" being mentioned at one point but I don't remember how many were up at the time) and some of them look very fun.

Sidereal Time is Haste on allies + Slow on enemies in a 30ft radius and is observable at lv8 if you spend an Orrery use. I think every party member would highly appreciate that effect.

Syzygy has an awesome name. It's also kinda like Prayer only with luck bonuses/penalties. If you focus on Aquarius you can observe Syzgy on turn 1 of a fight, use it to switch Conjunctions, then observe Sidereal Time on turn 2. Only drawback is you have to be outside since Syzygy requires Day/Night.

On turn 3+ switching into Recurrent Nova for some offensive utility is a possibility (make sure you had Stars from Sidereal Time, then spyglass Phase.)

An alternative setup that works with the Sheltered Conjunction is Precession turn 1 with a Constellation that provides either Phase or Occultation. Spyglass Orbit and observe Precession, gaining Orbit and losing something that's not Orbit Occultation or Phase. Then spyglass stars and observe Sidereal Time.

Nutation might better in that role than Precession, actually. It's more likely to be a good use of an action at the beginning of a fight and also works with Aquarius.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:52:15 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
God damn, talking about astronomer sounds awesome.  Lol.  I'm really happy with the way the Conjunctions system works!

EDIT: And at the moment, I have 43 more phenomena in the works.  I'm sure I'll add one more, since having 79 seems... dumb.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:50:18 PM by sirpercival »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
God damn, talking about astronomer sounds awesome.  Lol.  I'm really happy with the way the Conjunctions system works!

I was thinking this as I typed up the post. Congratulations on a class that's as fun to talk about as it will be to play.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
Astronomer also sounds incredibly confusing. So many different words. :P

... does it actually work inside? XD

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
Certain Phenomena only work outside, some only work inside, and some don't care.

"Inside/Outside" isn't really the dichotomy. The main dichotomy is the 3 "Superior Conjunctions" which are "Day," "Night," and "Sheltered" (which is essentially "inside.")

There are Phenomena that turn day into night or sheltered into day or night and similar so you're not utterly cut off from a given phenomenon based on where and when you are.

It does have a lot of different named features but they all fit together in a very elegant and user friendly way if you're ok handling lots of words (and some of us, like me, count "lots of words" as a positive.)

As to how an Astronomer can do stuff inside, I think SirP could explain that better than I could. He's the Astrophysicist, after all.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
Lot of words takes time to learn, though. :P

This gets mystical abilities out of looking at the sky. How would physics explain this? Seems more like astrology. Which would probably explain half the terms... @_@

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
Lot of words takes time to learn, though. :P

This gets mystical abilities out of looking at the sky. How would physics explain this? Seems more like astrology. Which would probably explain half the terms... @_@
Actually, the idea is that it's quantum astronomy.  The phenomena don't technically exist until you observe them.  :)