Author Topic: Gods - Phenominal Cosmic Power  (Read 2595 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Gods - Phenominal Cosmic Power
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
I'm currently in the process of building (rebuilding, technically) a character using the God class. It's been slow going, because there are just so many options to consider, and I've got obsessive traits that keep me fiddling with such things. I'm not looking to make 'the most powerful thing of all things' but I am having issues trying to resolve potency with versatility. The class is capable of achieving this quite easily if one has little-to-no DM intervention, though it's a class that really requires incredibly close DM scrutiny. Most of this stems from the reliance on the God's portfolio to determine their realm of influence. There are, for instance, ways for the God to get a measure of spellcasting, but usually limited by their Portfolio and/or Domain(s). So, no cherry-picking spells.

Beside that, there are so many Divine Characteristics and Divine Salient Abilities to choose from. Over 20 levels you can generally get just about everything you really want, but building a character up half-way means prioritizing.

So to make a long story short, I've been trying to find builds of God characters to use as reference, but I only really know of one (Raineh Daze's character for the now potentially defunct Heroes Reborn PbP campaign). Does anyone else have a build handy? What options and combinations seem the most interesting to you, and how would you go about putting them to use in a character?

(Sorry if this isn't quite the correct place for this. I didn't want to clog the class's thread, and this isn't really a min/max topic. This subforum seems the appropriate place to ask this.)

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
Re: Gods - Phenominal Cosmic Power
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
Yes, super powerful class.

Thoughts:
1)  Divine Characteristics - many of them scale with level --> take the ones that don't first.  Example - Divine toughness is useful right at 2nd level.  Divine Domain (Luck) is a gimme.  God Grace has more punch at a later level.  Take something like God Magic / Domain a couple of times for utility spells (Shadow, Spell, Transmutation), starting with something like Transmutation at 3&4 levels (giving alter self) or Spell at 5&6 (for Lesser Anyspell).

2)  Salient Divine Abilities - Alter Reality is a gimme. Clearsight is pretty awesome.  Power of Luck is an amazing buff.    Rejuvenation is nice.   Everything else is ... whatever you'd like (IMO).

Feats thoughts:
Not many that are obvious.  I'd probably choose:
Ancestral Relic (like the flavor) or Mercantine Background (items rule)
Expert Timing - cool
Heretic of the Faith ??? (Can you use this to make a custom domain?)
Leadership - just makes sense (besides being super powerful)

Really, there are so many slots, I can't see going very wrong.

Best,
David

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Thanks for responding.

The character I'm building has some specific focus, and I've been trying to think outside the box to broaden her field of influence. She's always been heavily focused on Force magic, though that's pretty limited. I've been thinking of making her the Goddess of Force/Strength of Will (hopefully finding a specific word or phrase to cover this), possibly with a portfolio of Force Magic, Change, Inner Strength, or something along those lines. She's highly charismatic, has swayed crowds, etc. as well. She's a Drow (in a City of the Spider Queen module), with partial fiendish/demonic ancestry, and former devotee exclusively to Lolth. That's a bit less definite and exclusive now, obviously.

Mainly her focus involves BFC, debuffing, and such. Thus the focus on force effects. I'd like to broaden the spectrum beyond that, because part of the problem is that devotion to force effects make her kind of a one-trick pony.

She's also not good-aligned. She's not Chaotic Evil like most Drow. That kind of rules out Ancestral Relic (requiring good alignment). However, that's sort of built into the campaign. Due to that, Mercantile Background also is highly unnecessary.

What's that Expert Timing feat? I don't think I've heard of that and can't seem to find it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Well, there's a god build in Os's Nintendo campaign (the spin-off), which shows some multiclassing stuff.

Natsumi was pretty much intended to use divine power to supplement other class features. Like huge knowledge bonuses. :lmao

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:45:38 AM »
The character I'm building has some specific focus, and I've been trying to think outside the box to broaden her field of influence. She's always been heavily focused on Force magic, though that's pretty limited.
I'd like to broaden the spectrum beyond that, because part of the problem is that devotion to force effects make her kind of a one-trick pony.

It's only as limited as the fluff ... "power of luck" could be refluffed to be "implements of force appear and aid the character in ..." for example.  A shield for saves or defense, a glowing blue energy for attack, tools for skills ....

What's that Expert Timing feat? I don't think I've heard of that and can't seem to find it.

It is from Kingdom's of Kalamar - player's guide (p85) you can delay your actions until you desire (without giving up your initiate count), and use it as if it were "readied".

best,
david