Author Topic: Living Planet  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
Living Planet
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
I've been considering asking for one of these as an actual Monster Class 100 levels long, but that would be absolutely nutso, so instead I'm throwing down the gauntlet and challenging people to build their own living planet.
Preferred size would be Mega Gargantuan as that is also the same size as our dear Earth and the A'tuin the Star TurtleGreat A'tuin[/url]. That's 19 sizes above Colossal, one size above Colossal is Titanic, then you go through the sizes from Fine to Titanic with the prefix of "Macro", afterward the prefix of "Mega" is used.
Mega Gargantuan is 524288 times the size of Colossal, in case anyone wondered.

The title may be "Living Planet", but any Creature Type is acceptable, as long as it can sustain life. Let's see if we can create an entirely new setting.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Living Planet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
Xixecal 36/ xxx 3/ Titanic 13

Colossal +18 effectively.

This would be a frozen ice planet.

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »

Most likely, but what abilities would the world itself have?
How big is the living space on the resulting creature?
If the world came under threat from Atropus, Ragnorra or a group who wish to strip the planet of all resources?

And who/what would live there? Besides five White Dragons.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »

Most likely, but what abilities would the world itself have?
The abilities of a Xixecal 36/ xxx 3/ Titanic 13?

How big is the living space on the resulting creature?
I'm not sure how you would even properly measure that.

If the world came under threat from Atropus, Ragnorra or a group who wish to strip the planet of all resources?
No clue, you wanted a really big guy, I came up with one.

And who/what would live there? Besides five White Dragons.
Whoever/whatever wanted to?  Take Epic Leadership?

When the levels get that high, it all just becomes kind of hand-waivey IMO.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
Size of the above: Colossal is ~70' high. Colossal +18 is that x2^18.

Roughly three and a half thousand miles tall.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »
For comparison, Earth is roughly 24,000 miles 'tall' (measured from pole to pole, going through the center of the planet) and Mars is roughly half that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
Thus, if we want an earthlike planet in size, what we approximately want is Colossal +22, in order that it's slightly more planet shaped when we curl up.

Raineh Daze's Animal Planet:

Anthropomorphic Animal 6/Titanic Creature 13/Monster of Legend 1.

So, at level 20, only Colossal +4, or about 350 metres. Big, but not anywhere near big enough. Feats don't matter TOO much, so long as we get all the size changes from those early skills. Now, we need another 18 growths, which--via Titanic Creature, is going to take us another 72 levels. Still, we're going to be a planet, so it's worth it, just to pick up enough HP and make sure we're as durable as a planet should be.

As we're basically indisposing ourselves indefinitely so that others can use our immense form as a home, and assuming we're nice, let's pick Saint, and go for Innocence and Mercy. Now the only way to actually harm our would-be planet is through force, sonic, or melee effects (gaining immunity to elements via either Saint or MoL). Given that we're also eventually level 93 (because of feat slots), DR/Evil is also an impressive 46, even before being increased by our size compared to everyone else and decreased by 90%. We also take the second MoL level and pick up spell turning, giving us 46 levels of spells reflected every turn. Between the planet apparently being impervious to harm and occasionally reflecting magic, this means people probably won't take to trying mining or the like.

The 20 levels after that are spent setting ourselves up as a Greater Deity, first starting as some smalltime demigod of an area, then as a lesser deity (and via vast ranks in hide and our con bonus) pretending to be a hill somewhere and getting worshippers to move on, using Avatar (and Deceptively Innocent Form) to keep communicating. Alter Reality can be used to slowly cover our actual body with a liveable surface, provided we can keep our worshippers distracted for a while.

So that's 43 HD, leaving another 50 to go for use as whatever. Personally, I'd pick up Bard 20, Shadow Dancer 10, and 20 levels of some martial class. Because if we're going to be a benevolent living god-planet, we may as well be able to: A) make sure that we can hide even if the main body sneezes or needs to do something, and B) deal with evil deities/the bowels of hell taking an interest, either by convincing them it's not worth it, or being able to lead our worshippers into countering anyone that tries force.

There you go. Living planet. My mind decided 'anthropomorphised sheep', so I imagine there's still a few great woollen forests around, and a preference for vast plains. And as a saintly god, we never have to worry about our worshippers digging too deep and causing harm, because they'd be hard pressed to accidentally do 930 damage in one hit due to DR/Epic (or 470 if they have an epic weapon due to DR/Evil). :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:19:59 PM by Raineh Daze »