Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion Thread  (Read 25037 times)

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
Welcome, one and all to the Akashic Records.  I would appreciate if everyone would post in this thread here, as opposed to any of the other threads.

I don't really care about what you post, though it would make some sense if you were posting about the Akashic Records.

For the Akashic Records in a convient PDF format, click here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:35:34 PM by Hanako Tachibana »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
I have no idea what this is, but it sounds cool. From reading the Majo and Mamono descriptions, I'm guessing Shadowcasting + Psionics + Incarnum with fluff based on some anime or manga of some sort?

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
I have no idea what this is, but it sounds cool. From reading the Majo and Mamono descriptions, I'm guessing Shadowcasting + Psionics + Incarnum with fluff based on some anime or manga of some sort?

Are...are you a wizard?   :o
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
Just how many references to how many things are in here?!

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »
Just how many references to how many things are in here?!

As I said to Hanako at dinner, the one part of your guess that was incorrect was your assumption that the fluff was based on "some anime or manga of some sort," rather than "everything ever."
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
Everything ever? All the more awesome. I see some ToB in there, too, now that the bits about boost/bursts/edicts/etc. are up.

Just to confirm, if you multiclass, you only apply Con to Tama once, right? The multiclass section is unclear.

If you die, your Tama is erased (noticeably not expended). If you're brought back to life by a lesser effect (such as Raise Dead or Revenance), does that mean that your Tama is lost forever?

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
If you multiclass, you only apply Con to Tama once.

If you die, your Tama is expended, and a lesser resurrection effect (such as Raise Dead) would not refresh it.  It is not lost forever.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
When you die, Tama in your pool is expended, but invested Tama isn't.

Henkei Engulf refers to a "cube" at one point. Also, the damage seems high for low levels, even if the valid targets are a bit limited.
   Are Henkei able to grant themselves additional non-hand limbs, including but not limited to legs?

Altach can blindsense detect creatures touching their webs, but there doesn't seem to be any limit to this. As Web is an extraordinary ability, it seems odd that this applies even if the Atlach is far away from its web, or even on another plane.
   Does the Atlach stability stack with the bonus to resist trip attempts due to having 4+ legs?

Can a Kagaribito use their Pyros Reactor without levels in a technician class? No Tama capacity is given for a TL of 0, so I would assume it's 0. (If you make this change, I'd suggest modifying the basics of Tama capacity rather than creating a specific exception for this race.)

Kami racial traits feel a bit lacking compared to Kagaribitos (the other race with +2 Tama). You trade away a laundry list of immunities, a few useful abilities through Pyros Reactor (at will out of combat healing is damn useful at low levels, and attack, AC, and save bonuses are great at all levels), for a pair of TLAs.

Noins have the (traditionally) supernatural version of Hide in Plain Sight as an extraordinary ability. Most instances of the Ex HiPS don't let you hide when observed (only the Su versions). This feels a bit too strong for a racial trait of an LA +0 creature. Perhaps instead, grant them the ability to fade into shadow, treating themselves as one step more concealed when near shadows a few times per day?

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
Invested tama is now expended upon death.

Henkei no longer refer to cubes.  Damage has been halved.  Henkei cannot grant themselves limbs that grant them mechanical benefit.

Atlach can only blindsense creatures on webs they are touching.  Atlach have lost stability, as their multiple legs grant them the benefits stability was meant to give them.

Kagaribito can use their Reactors without technician levels.  A creature without a technician level has tama capacity 1.

Kami gain the Wild Harmonic feat as a bonus feat.  Wild Harmonic is the akashic equivalent of psionics Wild Talent.  It grants them a technician level equal to half their HD, a tama pool with 1 tama, and the ability to take feats that would give them techniques.

The Noin Hide in Plain Sight has been changed to Fade into Shadow, which is a Supernatural ability.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
So, Kami start off with 3 Tama now, effectively? Is there any way to do that easily without splitting it between two separate abilities?

What's the Tama capacity for epic technicians?

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
At the moment, kami start with 3 tama.  I do not know of any way to do this easily without splitting it into two separate abilities.

The tama capacity for epic technicians is rather simple.  Tama capacity increases by 1 for every two levels after 1st.  As such, a 21st level technician would have a tama capacity of 11.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
So, Kami start off with 3 Tama now, effectively? Is there any way to do that easily without splitting it between two separate abilities?

At the moment, kami start with 3 tama.  I do not know of any way to do this easily without splitting it into two separate abilities.

Well, the feat also gives them the ability to take feats with a technician level requirement, which is distinct from the bonus tama.  Wrapping them together would either involve not using the feat--which feels more messy--or rolling the two extra bonus tama into the feat--which would then sort of devalue the kami racial trait.  I feel that this one is fine as-is.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »

Maybe just mention it in the extra Tama racial trait, that you're getting 2 Tama on top of the 1 from Wild Harmonic, for a total of 3?

The tama capacity for epic technicians is rather simple.  Tama capacity increases by 1 for every two levels after 1st.  As such, a 21st level technician would have a tama capacity of 11.

That formula should be written somewhere. Tama capacity is currently only defined by a table.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
A line has been added to Naturaly Akashic that suggests that you gain bonus tama from the Wild Harmonic feat.

The formula for the tama capacity of epic technicians, as well as other epic progression information, will be written when I write the rules for epic technicians.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »
I love this. That's all I wanted to say at the moment. I have lots of new material to read. :)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
So many inverted powers!

Hexed Hex refers to creatures instead of objects in the 3rd sentence.

Does a fundamental's effect stack with its ritual benefit?

A lot of the apprentice techniques seem very weak. In particular, Bleeding Ears is strictly worse than Disrupt Balance at level 1, and even once it starts to last longer, deafening is a relatively weak effect in most cases (slightly stronger against players due to disrupting communications in once direction). Twist Offsenses/Defenses, especially with their very short durations, have nearly no effect at lower levels (although they do scale reasonably enough into higher levels).

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
And now absolutely everything is posted.  Garryl, I'll respond to your latest post once I get back from Anime club.  For anyone else who may be watching, post away!

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
Damn.

Seeing as everyone is doing a lot of new homebrew systems, I thought I would try creating one. I thought about Reyvateil's Magic, I thought about MegaTen's spells... but I decided to see what we had on our beloved forum.

And now, here I am, posting on the discussion thread of a system that in theory envelops both of my initial ideas... possibly a few more.

And damn, this is very well done!

Will read this carefully during weekend...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
I've been waiting for this ever since the Don mentioned it.

I always love it when people make nice, fleshed out systems. It lets me forget about the infinite progression of "I made another caster PrC!" homebrew.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll begin the harvesting and alteration now.

Long live the new flesh! (unrelated.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."