Author Topic: Ninja Rewrite (ToB variant)  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Ninja Rewrite (ToB variant)
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
     Here is my next rewrite for the ninja, another class that was just too weak when first written.  Instead of trying to give the ninja a bunch of mystic ki-powered stuff, I went with manoeuvres from the Tome of Battle.  The Shadow Hand and Setting Sun disciplines were perfect fits, like they were designed for the class.
     I went with Sneak Attack instead of Sudden Strike, because the latter ability was just flat-out inferior.  I also created an ability for the class to make poisons more viable at higher levels.

Ninja (ToB variant)

Hit Die: d6

Alignment: any

SavesManoeuvres
Lv   Base Attack Bonus   Fort   Ref     Will   AC Bonus   AbilitiesKnown      Readied   Stances
1+0+0+2+2     +0Trapfinding, AC Bonus    3     2     1
2+1+0+3+3     +0Sneak Attack +1d6, Bonus Feat    3     2     1
3+2+1+3+3     +0Evasion    4     2     1
4+3+1+4+4     +1Great Leap (x1.5)    4     2     1
5+3+1+4+4     +1Poison Use, Quick Draw    5     3     1
6+4+2+5+5     +1Rapid Stealth    5     3     2
7+5+2+5+5     +1Sneak Attack +2d6, Deadly Poisons 1    6     3     2
8+6/+1+2+6+6     +2Hide in Plain Sight, Nondetection    6     3     2
9+6/+1+3+6+6     +2Skill Mastery, Great Leap (x2)    7     3     2
10+7/+2+3+7+7     +2Improved Poison Use    7     4     2
11+8/+3+3+7+7     +2Camouflage, Improved Quick Draw    8     4     3
12+9/+4+4+8+8     +3Sneak Attack +3d6    8     4     3
13+9/+4+4+8+8     +3Deadly Poisons 2    9     4     3
14+10/+5+4+9+9     +3Improved Evasion, Great Leap (x2.5)    9     4     3
15+11/+6/+1+5+9+9     +3Greater Blink    10     5     3
16+12/+7/+2+5+10+10     +4Stealth Critical    10     5     4
17+12/+7/+2+5+10+10     +4Sneak Attack +4d6    11     5     4
18+13/+8/+3+6+11+11     +4Mind Blank    11     5     4
19+14/+9/+4+6+11+11     +4Deadly Poisons 3, Great Leap (x3)    12     5     4
20+15/+10/+5+6+12+12     +5Double Strike 4/day    12     6     4

Class Skills (8+int mod skill points per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

Class Abilities
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Ninja are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, kama, kukri, nunchaku, sai, shortbow, short sword, shuriken, siangham, rope dart, and kusari-gama, and also have Improved Unarmed Strike.  Ninja are not proficient with any armour or shields.  Ninja are also proficient in the use of improvised weapons, and do not take the normal -4 penalty to attack rolls when using improvised weapons.

Manoeuvres: A ninja begins with three known manoeuvres.  The disciplines which she can choose them from are Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, and Tiger Claw.
     Once she knows a manoeuvre, she must ready it before she can use it (see Manoeuvres Readied, below).  Manoeuvres are considered extraordinary abilities unless noted otherwise in its description.  Manoeuvres are not affected by spell resistance, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity for initiating one.
     The ninja learns additional manoeuvres at higher levels, as shown on the table above.  She must still meet any prerequisites to learn it.  See table 3-1 on page 39 in ToB:Bot9S to determine the highest level manoeuvres she can learn.
     Upon reaching 4th level, and every even-numbered ninja level thereafter, she can choose to learn a new manoeuvre in the place of an old one.  In effect, she loses the old manoeuvre in exchange for the new one.  The new manoeuvre can be of any level up to the maximum currently available, so long as she meets its requirements.  She can only swap one manoeuvre at any given level.

Manoeuvres Readied: A ninja can ready two of her manoeuvres known at 1st level.  As she advances in level, she can ready more manoeuvres at one time, as shown on the table above.  It takes 5 minutes of meditation to ready the manoeuvres or change which ones are.  They remain readied until she chooses to change them again.  There is no rest requirement to ready manoeuvres.
     At the start of any encounter, all readied manoeuvres are unexpended and available.  When a manoeuvre is initiated, it is expended until the end of the encounter, though they can be recovered earlier.
     To recover expended manoeuvres, a ninja must spend a full-round action to meditate quickly.  This does not provoke attacks of opportunity.  She then recovers all expended manoeuvres at once, making them available for use after her turn ends.

Stances Known: A ninja starts with one stance known, and learns more as she gains levels the class.  At 1st level and every 5 levels thereafter (6, 11, 16) to a maximum of four at 16th, she can choose a stance from any discipline open to her, up to the highest manoeuvre level she can learn and use.  Unlike manoeuvres, stances are not expended when used, and do not have to be readied.  They last until deactivated or the ninja falls unconscious, or the active stance is changed.  All stances known are available at all times, and can be activated or changed as a swift action.  Stances are extraordinary abilities unless stated otherwise in their descriptions.
     Unlike manoeuvres, stances cannot be replaced as the ninja advances in level.

Trapfinding (Ex): Only characters with this ability can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, as well as use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.  If the ninja beats a trap's DC by 10 or more when disarming, she and her party can bypass it without disarming it.

AC Bonus (Ex): Ninja are highly trained at avoiding blows, and have a sixth sense about when to dodge.  So long as she is unarmoured and unencumbered, the ninja adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC.  This bonus increases by +1 at every 4th level.
     The bonus applies against touch attacks as well, and functions even when flat-footed or otherwise denied her Dexterity to AC.  The only time the bonus is lost is when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any kind of armour or shield, or when her encumberance is greater than light.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Whenever a ninja of at least second level catches a foe who is unable to defend himself effectively, she can strike a vital spot for bonus damage.  Whenever the foe is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC (whether he actually has a Dexterity bonus or not) or whenever the ninja flanks the opponent, she gains bonus dice to damage from Sneak Attack.  The bonus dice start at +1d6, and improve by an extra 1d6 every five levels thereafter (7, 12, 17).  Sneak Attack dice are not multiplied on a critical hit or other damage multipliers.
     Ranged attacks can be sneak attacks as well, but only so long as the target is within 30 feet.
     The bonus damage is the same as that which the weapon deals.  If the ninja is wielding a weapon that deals non-lethal damage, the bonus damage from Sneak Attack is also non-lethal.  She cannot gain the bonus damage when not wielding her weapon optimally, such as dealing non-lethal damage with a lethal weapon at a -4 penalty.  The ninja must also be proficient in the weapon being used.
     Against foes with Improved Uncanny Dodge, ninja levels count as rogue levels for the purposes of being able to flank effectively.
     Creatures that are immune to critical hits cannot be affected by Sneak Attack.  Also, because the ninja needs to be able to precisely determine her victim's vital locations, any creature with concealment cannot be sneak attacked either.  Finally, if a creature's vitals are out of reach, such as a tall giant, the ninja cannot sneak attack them, either.

Bonus Feat: Ninja are very agile, and gain their choice of Weapon Finesse or Shadow Blade for free at 2nd level.  If she already has either, she may choose another feat for which she qualifies.

Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level, the ninja gains Evasion.  She can avoid blasts and the like, whether magical or mundane.  Whenever an attack would allow a Reflex save for half damage, the ninja takes no damage on a successful save instead.  This ability cannot be used when the ninja is rendered helpless or if she wears armour of any kind.

Great Leap (Ex): Upon reaching 4th level, a ninja learns how to jump with incredible prowess.  From now on, she is treated as always having a running start for jumps, and gains a multiplier to the distance she can jump, of 1.5 times the check result.  Every five levels thereafter, the multiplier increases by +0.5.

Poison Use (Ex): At 5th level, ninja learn how to apply poison to their weapons without the risk of poisoning themselves.

Quick Draw: Also at 5th, ninja gain the Quick Draw feat for free.  If she already has it, she may choose another feat for which she qualifies.

Rapid Stealth (Ex): Ninja learn to move much more quickly without revealing their presence.  At 6th level, the ninja no longer takes penalties to Hide or Move Silently when moving up to her speed, and only takes a -5 penalty to those skills when moving up to double her speed.

Deadly Poison (Ex): Ninja are experts at poison use, and learn techniques to improve their use.  Starting at 7th level and every six levels thereafter, the ninja gains this ability, which increases the save DC of any poison she uses by +2, and increases any ability damage it deals by +1.  If the poison does not deal ability damage, it still benefits from the save increase.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a ninja can hide even while being observed.  She must either not be in daylight, or must have some sort of concealment in order to do so.  The ninja cannot use this ability if she is wearing any armour or carrying a load heavier than light.

Nondetection (Su): At 8th level as well, the ninja's stealthiness also improves supernaturally.  From now on, she is under a continuous Nondetection effect, as the spell found on page 257 of the PHB.  Treat the ninja's class level as the caster level for the effect.

Skill Mastery (Ex): After reaching 9th level, ninja master several of their skills.  A ninja can always take 10 with the skills Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, and Tumble, even when she would not normally be able to do so.

Improved Poison Use (Ex): Once a ninja has reached 10th level, she learns to apply poisons to her weapons quicker.  It now takes only a move action to apply a poison to a weapon.

Camouflage (Ex): At 11th level, a ninja's skill at hiding is so great that she can now hide in any sort of natural terrain, even if there is no cover or concealment.  She cannot use this ability if she is wearing any armour or carrying a load heavier than light.

Improved Quick Draw (Ex): Also at 11th, the ninja's ability to rapidly draw hidden weapons becomes a flurry of motion.  She can now draw hidden weapons as a free action instead of a move action.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Upon reaching level 14, a ninja's evasion improves.  She now only takes half damage if she fails a Reflex save when an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage.  If the ninja cannot use Evasion, she cannot use Improved Evasion either.

Greater Blink (Su): Twice per day at level 15, a ninja can start vanishing from the physical world for brief, controlled moments.  She goes ethereal, able to pass physical obstacles and avoid attack.  This ability functions similarly to Greater Blink, found on page 32 of the SpC.

Stealth Critical (Ex): After gaining level 16, ninja become even more capable at stealthy attacks.  So long as the ninja remains undetected by her target, her attacks are so precise that  her attacks gain a +2 to the critical threat range, after any other increases are applied, and a +1 to the critical damage mulitplier, as long as the victim is not immune.  The target must be within 30 feet for this ability to work, when using ranged attacks.  For instance, a hidden ninja with a +1 Keen kukri has a threat range of 13-20, and will do x3 damage on a critical hit.

Mind Blank (Su): Upon attaining 18th level, the ninja has so mastered the art of stealth, she can hide her very mind.  This ability functions identically to Mind Blank, as found on page 253 of the PHB, except that it functions continuously.

Double Strike (Ex): At 20th level, the ninja has mastered her offensive skills.  Four times per day, she may, as a full-round action, activate two different strike manoeuvres, so long as they only require standard actions to activate.  The first manoeuvre is chosen and resolved, followed by the second.  A 5' step may be taken in between manoeuvres.  If, after the first manoeuvre is resolved, the ninja does not wish to, or cannot initiate a second strike, the use of Double Strike is still expended and the ninja has still used up a full-round action.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:41:49 PM by Kethrian »
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja Rewrite (ToB variant)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:58 PM »
I have some questions on Double Strike's usage.

Firstly, when you're already using maneuvers as a mechanic, why would you limit the capstone to a /day instead of /enc usage?

And even if limited to /day, why 4? Not 4+stat or something scaled to level?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
By the way, it's "maneuver", not "manoeuvre".

Greater Dimension Door seems unnecessary and out of place. Shadow Hand already has teleportation maneuvers, and this is the sole supernatural class feature.

I'm surprised about the lack of Tiger Claw access. It seems like it would be a perfect fit, especially with the jumping affinity implied by Great Leap.

Sneak Attack feels unnecessary. Maneuvers already provide an effective primary attack form.

Firstly, when you're already using maneuvers as a mechanic, why would you limit the capstone to a /day instead of /enc usage?

Probably following the example that the Swordsage's 3/day Double Boost laid out.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »

As Garryl pointed out, it's supposed to be similar in design to a Swordsage's 3/day Double Boost.  Since it is a lv 20 capstone ability, scaling to level isn't ideal.  I suppose I could change it to Wis bonus times per day instead, though ...

By the way, it's "maneuver", not "manoeuvre".

Greater Dimension Door seems unnecessary and out of place. Shadow Hand already has teleportation maneuvers, and this is the sole supernatural class feature.

I'm surprised about the lack of Tiger Claw access. It seems like it would be a perfect fit, especially with the jumping affinity implied by Great Leap.

Sneak Attack feels unnecessary. Maneuvers already provide an effective primary attack form.

Well, it's "maneuver" if you're American.  It's "manoeuvre" if you're Canadian (like I am), as well as several European english spellings.

Greater Dimension Door allows you a close-range teleport every round as a move action for multiple rounds, and provoke no AoOs.  I figured this would be ideal for a ninja to jump around a battlefield, taking advantage of multiple opportunities as they arise.  But, I do see your point about the overlap with Shadow Step, et al.  Maybe Greater Blink would be a more suitable choice?

I put in Sneak Attack, because it stacks with manoeuvres, and very much fits with the ninja's theme of stealthy, deadly strikes.  And since you will very rarely get more than one strike per turn, I'm not sure if it would be unbalancing.  It definitely helps make the ninja a superior melee damage dealer, but that is the goal of this class.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
The Ninjas are not proficient with any associated weapons from the diamond mind style, only 2 weapons from setting sun, and three from shadow hand. 

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Alright, I have taken all your comments into consideration, and have reduced the amount of sneak attack dice that ninja get.  I did not remove them completely, as sneak attack is very synergistic with manoeuvres, and stack with Assassin's Stance.  I rearranged abilities to fill in the gaps, and changed Greater Dimension Door to Greater Blink, and added a continuous Mind Blank at 18th.

The Ninjas are not proficient with any associated weapons from the diamond mind style, only 2 weapons from setting sun, and three from shadow hand. 

Well, since they're proficient with all simple weapons, ninja did have one associated weapon for Diamond Mind, but only one.  They are proficient with all Setting Sun weapons, and all but one Shadow Hand.  This, plus Garryl's Tiger Claw suggestion, convinced me to change Diamond Mind for Tiger Claw.  As such, I removed Concentration as a class skill.

I hope this is much more satisfactory for the class!
What do I win?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
It now seems a bit odd not to have Diamond Mind in there, despite the weapons issue.  If monk is more mind over body and rogue is about finesse then ninja combines that in its own unique way.  It actually seems more of an issue that the Diamond Mind discipline has such limiting favored weapons considering the broad use of such a discipline.  Of the weapons ninja are proficient in, adding nunchaku and/or the short sword to the discipline just for ninja seems reasonable.  Call it some sort of special training and adaptation of the discipline for ninja in general.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
Oops.  Missed the simple weapons  :blush

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
Well, as far as I can tell favoured weapons for disciplines don't have any real effects other than the Blade Meditation feat or Swordsage class abilities.  Is there really a need to add more to Diamond Mind for the ninja?
What do I win?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
Depends on how much you feel the theme could benefit from it, if at all.  Blade Meditation doesn't seem like it would be out of place for a more Diamond Mind-focused meditative ninja to take, but the weapon list does leave it wanting.  Could also replace instead of add, but it's effectively the same thing since the ninja isn't proficient with anything on that list but the shortspear.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 11:30:30 PM »
Okay, I added Diamond Mind and Concentration back in.  I think it'll be fine leaving the weapons alone, since if it's important enough, a ninja can just find a way to get proficiency with a Diamond Mind weapon, or enchant their weapon with Aptitude.
What do I win?

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
I don't think the traditional; mechanic of adding an ability bonus to AC when unarmored is very good.  Especially at low levels, resources have to be committed to raise the ability to get AC on par with someone who just wears armor.  I'd give an ability called "ki armor" or some such that is basically a continuous mage armor effect.  The ninja would be forming his ki into a tangible but invisible barrier that protects him from harm.  I'd go with an armor bonus of 4 + 1/3 the character's ninja level.  You don't even need a restriction against wearing armor.  The bonuses wouldn't stack, so the ninja has no real use for physical armor except as part of a disguise. 

I can't say I ever associated ninjas with improvised weapons.  It also seems weird to be able to ignore the -4 penalty when fighting with a chair, but still have the -4 penalty when fighting with a rapier. 

The jump bonus, at 20th level, amounts to an extra 10 feet on a long jump or an extra 2 or 3 feet on a high jump.  I think a lot more is in order.  However, tiger claw maneuvers use the results of jump checks for other things, including setting a save DC in one case (if memory serves).  Adding to the check might not be the way to go.  Maybe you could alter how the distance covered relates to the check result.  Also, check out page 58 of Oriental Adventures.  There are some uses of tumble there that you might want to work in too. 

Since you're giving quick draw to a class predisposed to using hidden weapons, you should consider giving an improved version at a higher level that allows drawing a hidden weapon as a free action. 

Are you aware that you give an ability called "improved poison use," but the class never actually gets poison use? 

Keying the camouflage ability to natural terrain doesn't seem to suit the ninja theme. 

The problem with automatic critical is it means the character will only pay attention to the multiplier, since the threat range is unimportant.  Giving special benefit to attacking surprised targets is thmatic, but I don't think this ability and sneak attack are how I'd go about it.  Have you considered giving special benefits to maneuvers used against foes denied their dexterity bonuses to AC?  Off the top of my head, you could give empower, then maximize, then both (as the metamagic feats).  I'm sure there are much more creative and interesting options though. 

If you're going to give contagious mind blank, you could work up to it with continuous nondetection.  I'm not sure the immunity to mind-affecting effects of mind blank is fitting though. 

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
I don't think the traditional; mechanic of adding an ability bonus to AC when unarmored is very good.  Especially at low levels, resources have to be committed to raise the ability to get AC on par with someone who just wears armor.  I'd give an ability called "ki armor" or some such that is basically a continuous mage armor effect.  The ninja would be forming his ki into a tangible but invisible barrier that protects him from harm.  I'd go with an armor bonus of 4 + 1/3 the character's ninja level.  You don't even need a restriction against wearing armor.  The bonuses wouldn't stack, so the ninja has no real use for physical armor except as part of a disguise. 

That's an interesting idea, though it doesn't buff touch AC, which is what I find makes up for the comparatively lower AC bonus.  And at higher levels, the ninja can get bracers of armour, which would stack with the current AC bonus (or a wand of Mage Armour).  But I would like to hear other opinions on it, too.

I can't say I ever associated ninjas with improvised weapons.  It also seems weird to be able to ignore the -4 penalty when fighting with a chair, but still have the -4 penalty when fighting with a rapier. 

Well, I associated ninja with improvised weapons, based upon actual historical ninja weaponry.  The traditional ninja-to is really just a sharpened piece of scrap metal and nothing more, and many weapons were just farm tools, because ninja were trained commoners.  It may not fit the fantasy ideal of a ninja, however, but it's minor enough a bonus that I doubt it would be unbalancing, and is a nice flavour bonus.

The jump bonus, at 20th level, amounts to an extra 10 feet on a long jump or an extra 2 or 3 feet on a high jump.  I think a lot more is in order.  However, tiger claw maneuvers use the results of jump checks for other things, including setting a save DC in one case (if memory serves).  Adding to the check might not be the way to go.  Maybe you could alter how the distance covered relates to the check result.  Also, check out page 58 of Oriental Adventures.  There are some uses of tumble there that you might want to work in too. 

Yeah, a multiplier instead of a bonus to the check might be better balanced.  I'll just have to think about how to scale the multiplier ...

As for the tumble uses, those are skill-specific, not class specific.  It's up to the DM to choose whether to add them to the campaign or not, and I believe most have been updated for 3.5e in Complete Adventurer.

Since you're giving quick draw to a class predisposed to using hidden weapons, you should consider giving an improved version at a higher level that allows drawing a hidden weapon as a free action. 

That's a good idea!

Are you aware that you give an ability called "improved poison use," but the class never actually gets poison use? 

I had to go back and check to see if I somehow missed it, but it's there at 5th level.

Keying the camouflage ability to natural terrain doesn't seem to suit the ninja theme. 

That had bothered me, too, but making it for city terrain doesn't seem appropriate, either.  And now that I've thought more about it, camouflage as is, is still a nice ability for a ninja, because they do hide in natural terrain quite often.

The problem with automatic critical is it means the character will only pay attention to the multiplier, since the threat range is unimportant.  Giving special benefit to attacking surprised targets is thmatic, but I don't think this ability and sneak attack are how I'd go about it.  Have you considered giving special benefits to maneuvers used against foes denied their dexterity bonuses to AC?  Off the top of my head, you could give empower, then maximize, then both (as the metamagic feats).  I'm sure there are much more creative and interesting options though. 

Good point.  Adding a damage multiplier to the base damage would be a better option, and then let the weapon's critical stack if it happens.

If you're going to give contagious mind blank, you could work up to it with continuous nondetection.  I'm not sure the immunity to mind-affecting effects of mind blank is fitting though. 

Nondetection earlier is a good idea.  As for the immunity to mind-affecting, by 18th level, I think it is fitting, as a ninja of legendary skill should be able to shrug of unnatural mental influence.

I'll fiddle with this stuff, and see what I feel should fall where.  Thanks for the ideas!
What do I win?

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »
I had to go back and check to see if I somehow missed it, but it's there at 5th level.

Oops, I was only looking at ability write-ups, not the table. 

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
Is no-one else going to comment on Stealth Critical?

I mean... Ninjas are stealthy, so Darkstalker is almost a given, and they have Camouflage/HiPS, so hide almost always functions...
Kaorti Resin weapons alone, or Critical [Whatever] feats, or (for the more loop-inclined), Lightning Maces?

Perhaps it should just be an automatic critical threat?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
Alright, I made several more changes.  Great Leap now multiplies the distance a ninja jumps, and improves as she gains levels.  Continuous Nondetection has been added.  Improved Quick Draw has been added.  And Stealth Critical has been modified.
What do I win?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Alright, I made several more changes.  Great Leap now multiplies the distance a ninja jumps, and improves as she gains levels.  Continuous Nondetection has been added.  Improved Quick Draw has been added.  And Stealth Critical has been modified.
I like all of these changes. Class looks awesome~ now I only wish our DM's let us use homebrew more often...

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
Thanks!  Now, if only I could get some feedback about my new Swashbuckler rewrite, too ...
What do I win?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 02:45:53 AM »
Thanks!  Now, if only I could get some feedback about my new Swashbuckler rewrite, too ...
I can't find that little soundfile, but...

I'm on my way.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
Great Leap: Is their maximum high jump distance still limited by height?